Are you still interested in ReFills?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
moneykube

22 Oct 2018

fotizimo wrote:
22 Oct 2018
moneykube wrote:
18 Jan 2018
refills are great... unfortunately they get pirated too much... must be a way to stop it somehow...
stop hurting developers
From my time working with Refills and such, I would say that Refills are a lot less pirated than generic sample packs from distributors such as Loopmasters. There are a lot of active places to illegally obtain sample packs, but I can't think of anything recent for Refills (ok, I haven't looked in so many years that I don't remember where to look).

At least with Refills they are locked to Reason users who have the device/s referenced in the Refill (stock or otherwise).

This works against Refills as well, as I can't use Refill material in other DAWs which means it potentially holds less value.

I personally buy a lot of Refills for specific devices as I use them as starting points for sounds I use. I haven't seen a lot of new Refills out lately, so I am starting to worry about this market.
yes... I buy a lot as well... and yes there seems less out there... it is a concern :exclamation:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

fotizimo

22 Oct 2018

moneykube wrote:
22 Oct 2018

yes... I buy a lot as well... and yes there seems less out there... it is a concern :exclamation:
Yeah, I cant believe there hasnt really been all that many covering the new PH REs such as Europa and Grain, as well as a load of other new REs from third parties. I do not know of a single refill based on players or anything that has come out in the last few months.

I wonder if that market will recover? Are there any refills coming for new stuff that people are aware of?
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Soundcells

24 Oct 2018

"I wonder if that market will recover?… "
Good question - I have the intention to make new ReFills, and I will prepare something for BlackFriday / November …
November 1st, back in 2008, was the beginning of Soundcells 💪🏼😃

We'll see if this market can recover a little …

Best regards to all,
Harald

Re8et
Competition Winner

13 Jul 2019

I feel stuff like Mixfood Knock, Step 128 and Step Sequencer, Sequencer, I just have more need of beautiful midi transposing of glorious beats, ranging from 68 Bpm to 164, of all possible genres on Earth composed from 60ies till today, Boogie Woogie, Swing, Caribbean, Garage, Neo-ostro-goth, 80's pop, Balkan.
I use a lot the Boost pack, I like the Kongs, but Mixfood Knock ready made rhythm, with all Cv and gate available is something else, completely game changer for me, and much under-rated.
I heard last sequencer refill demo but it seems like it wouldn't step into ready made music, like there is some kinda taboo playing someone else's famous midi, I think this is a misconception.
I know some alive artists sell their midi files for entire songs, even excellent classical piano players, so some rule have to apply anyway, but that is stuff I would really consider, if it was well thinked, packaged, and transposed not into just one, but different Reason containers in one package, with wav files and midi files available also.

With the exception of step 128 I have all three of those seq, plus Kompulsion, Korde, Propulsion.
Redrum might be considered also in that legacy, because combined it retains the midi information, so it can play full mono sequences.

Just my two cents, there's people that like production, and people that likes Djing and live performance, and Knock is clearly in the second direction, total winner for me.

sleep1979

13 Jul 2019

mreese80 wrote:
16 Jul 2017
If the refills are made by Bitley, PinkNoise, or jiggerey pokery than yesssssss. Otherwise Nope
I think pinknoise and jiggery pokery have now gone into rack extensions and that makes sense to me
But im still interested

Soundcells

24 Sep 2019

With the coming of R11 / Reason as a VST rack - what is your oppinion now? Will ReFills be more intersting again?

Best regards,
Harald | Soundcells

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2019

Harald, if I were you I'd prepare some marketing aimed at all the new users. Your current Refills (well, the ones I own) are more than fantastic, backwards compatible without any REs (if they're not RE-specific) and it'd be a shame if all the new folks wouldn't even know they existed.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Harald, if I were you I'd prepare some marketing aimed at all the new users. Your current Refills (well, the ones I own) are more than fantastic, backwards compatible without any REs (if they're not RE-specific) and it'd be a shame if all the new folks wouldn't even know they existed.
And prepare some Reason-Intro-compatible ones if they aren't already and offer them at a lower price point.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

tobypearce

24 Sep 2019

Yes, I think refills could grow as a result of Reason 11. I can see similarities with Max for Live in some ways, although the content is pretty different.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

boingy

24 Sep 2019

Soundcells wrote:
24 Sep 2019
With the coming of R11 / Reason as a VST rack - what is your oppinion now? Will ReFills be more intersting again?

Best regards,
Harald | Soundcells
No, I don't think they will. They are still a method of packaging stuff up in a way that makes it hard to organise an ever-growing collection of sounds, patches and other things. Refills only get more interesting when Reason gets a librarian that will scan across a whole bunch of 'em and let you search by instrument, genre, type, keyword etc. You know, like nearly every other DAW does.

tobypearce

30 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Soundcells wrote:
24 Sep 2019

Best regards,
Harald | Soundcells
No, I don't think they will. They are still a method of packaging stuff up in a way that makes it hard to organise an ever-growing collection of sounds, patches and other things. Refills only get more interesting when Reason gets a librarian that will scan across a whole bunch of 'em and let you search by instrument, genre, type, keyword etc. You know, like nearly every other DAW does.
Actually that's an excellent point. I don't use Refills as much as I should because whilst there's great stuff in a lot of them, you've got the remember which refill is good for what. And since most cover more than one area this is very difficult.

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

If only there was a tool to proper navigate within these soundpacks!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
30 Sep 2019
If only there was a tool to proper navigate within these soundpacks!
Hahaha. Yeah. Especially when they’re like 4GB in size.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

NaviRetlav

01 Oct 2019

After all the changes done in PH shop and the decrease in sales, I also think about not making ReFills any more....

Oquasec

01 Oct 2019

Yeah, i hit the prop shop frequently for refills.
What better way to learn than from refills & refillpacker?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Proboscis

01 Oct 2019

I am currently trying to 'stocktake' all my refills and make sure I have backups. Still very interested in ReFills, but mostly just to use the sample ones that I have. It also got me to thinking, whatever happened to Theo from New Atlantis who used to send out those incredible emails about what he was doing. I have a lot of his releases, is he a part of this forum ?

And as a side note, trying to manage refills is futile. It's a shame they can't be 'unpacked' (well as far as I know)

tobypearce

02 Oct 2019

Proboscis - which ones are you finding that you really like?

mcatalao
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2019

Proboscis wrote:
01 Oct 2019
And as a side note, trying to manage refills is futile. It's a shame they can't be 'unpacked' (well as far as I know)
There has been a refill unpacker around but its fishy stuff. What i usually do is a favorites refill (because favorites are a mess too) because is easier to tidy up that links to patches on the big refills.

Btw, just to dismistify some stff i read here... You dont have to recreate patches on nnxt to put vst patches on refill. When you save a combi with a vst all the vst parameters are stored. You cant have fxb files on refills, but toss the vst on a combi and move on.

Refill indexing is faster than hdd indexing. so if you have refill packer and have the patience to create favorites refills, it works.

Finally about the topic... SoundDesign is an art form imho. That can never die as long as refills keep being the de facto format for saving reason and rack extensions new content. I just think there should have been an investment on protecting sound designers work (from a copy protection perspective) and more promotion in the store.

Proboscis

02 Oct 2019

tobypearce wrote:
02 Oct 2019
Proboscis - which ones are you finding that you really like?
Although they are quite old now, to this day I still think the Filter Research series from Nucleus Soundlab are the most interesting use of stock devices I have ever encountered. Great if you want to add 'weird' little parts to a song.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2019

Yeah. New Atlantis Audio. Theo was always very friendly and helpful. Hope he’s ok.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Proboscis

02 Oct 2019

mcatalao wrote:
02 Oct 2019
if you have refill packer and have the patience to create favorites refills, it works.
I tend to not use the same sounds twice, so saving each combinator or repatch just to manage them better would be a task that might take me years !

Soundcells

14 Aug 2023

Hello to all Reason users,

nothing has been heard from Soundcells for a long time - but, to make a long story short, it goes on :0)
The website looks almost identical, but has been technically updated. The site has also been made easier to use and optimised for speed.

There will be more information about surprising news v e r y soon :0)

Until then, I remain with best wishes and hope to greet old and new customers soon,

Harald | Soundcells
https://www.soundcells.de/products/
https://www.soundcells.de/news/

Soundcells

15 Aug 2023

And the question is still the same?
Just think about it again and share your opinion ... let's continue the discussion, neutrally ...

Best regards,
Harald | Soundcells

Gosh

17 Aug 2023

Soundcells wrote:
14 Aug 2023
Hello to all Reason users,

nothing has been heard from Soundcells for a long time - but, to make a long story short, it goes on :0)
The website looks almost identical, but has been technically updated. The site has also been made easier to use and optimised for speed.

There will be more information about surprising news v e r y soon :0)

Until then, I remain with best wishes and hope to greet old and new customers soon,

Harald | Soundcells
https://www.soundcells.de/products/
https://www.soundcells.de/news/
Hi Harald,
for me this is fantastic news. I have (and love) all your Soundcells refills and I'm very much looking forward to new refills from you or what other surprises you have in stake for us. On a more general note for the discussion, I would be very much interested in new refills and I'm really disappointed that great refill prodcucers like Navi Retlav or SKP Sound Design seem to have abandoned the format.
All the best
Reimund

nickb523
RE Developer

17 Aug 2023

Gosh wrote:
17 Aug 2023

Navi Retlav or SKP Sound Design seem to have abandoned the format.
SKP is very much still active but the focus has shifted. Since the beginning of 2023 I've done patches for the Objekt factory bank and 20 sound packs (that is over 200 patches with more content to come after the summer!).

At this point, if you are interested in that content and want to support us you really should subscribe to Reason+. For the subscription fee you would have had Objekt along with access to lots of packs from SKP, Navi Retlav, Soundcells and a plethora of other people that you may not have checked out yet.

My focus for the foreseeable future is on sound packs and RS device content as the third party eco-system is in a bit of a rut at the moment. It's not been great since the sub model started, but along with the global cost of living crisis and the possibility of WW3 it's really on it's knees. Very, very few people are buying anything a la carte.

Cheers,

• Information