Reason Suite Upgrade Questions

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
riemac

25 Sep 2019

Lempface wrote:
25 Sep 2019
riemac wrote:
25 Sep 2019
I‘m asking me what happens with future updates of Reason, when I upgrade now to Reason 11 Suite.

Will I be locked in a Suite update path and have to pay for every update now 249 EUR?
Or is it still possible to Upgrade to a future standard version of Reason for 129 EUR?

It would be good if the ReasonStudios Team could answere this question. I think it would be good for every one to know this befor making a decission.
What makes you think Suite -> Suite upgrade would be $249? Standard to Suite is $249 so surely Suite to Suite will be less.
I guess they will add more or new Rack Extension in Suite 12, which will not be in the standard Version of Reason. This would mean, that the Upgrade from Suite 11 to Suite 12 will cost more than 129 EUR. Maybe I will not be interested in this new REs, than I see the risk, that I have to pay a higher Upgrade price as normal.

boingy

25 Sep 2019

Based on the chaotic upgrade launch and pricing oddities I'm pretty sure no one at RS have any idea what the R12 upgrade paths will be or if there will even be a suite version of it. I'm not even sure if some of 'em can count.

BananaSkins

25 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Based on the chaotic upgrade launch and pricing oddities I'm pretty sure no one at RS have any idea what the R12 upgrade paths will be or if there will even be a suite version of it. I'm not even sure if some of 'em can count.

Bet they have their best man counting all their profits! :puf_bigsmile:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2019

Lempface wrote:
25 Sep 2019
riemac wrote:
25 Sep 2019
I‘m asking me what happens with future updates of Reason, when I upgrade now to Reason 11 Suite.

Will I be locked in a Suite update path and have to pay for every update now 249 EUR?
Or is it still possible to Upgrade to a future standard version of Reason for 129 EUR?

It would be good if the ReasonStudios Team could answere this question. I think it would be good for every one to know this befor making a decission.
What makes you think Suite -> Suite upgrade would be $249? Standard to Suite is $249 so surely Suite to Suite will be less.
At the moment the Suite is nothing more than rig bundle, yes the rigs are update (hence Rig 4) but the product manager of RS said there are no plans to do the same for the Suite. So to answer your question you will be able to update to Reason 12 at the price they set at the time, which one hopes will still be $129.
If Reason 11 Suite sells well then one would expect to see a Reason 12 Suite... At the same time I wonder if RS will be making that many more RE's as who will now buy them knowing that they will be given away in a Suite or Free in the next version...

Lempface

25 Sep 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Lempface wrote:
25 Sep 2019

At the moment the Suite is nothing more than rig bundle, yes the rigs are update (hence Rig 4) but the product manager of RS said there are no plans to do the same for the Suite. So to answer your question you will be able to update to Reason 12 at the price they set at the time, which one hopes will still be $129.
If Reason 11 Suite sells well then one would expect to see a Reason 12 Suite... At the same time I wonder if RS will be making that many more RE's as who will now buy them knowing that they will be given away in a Suite or Free in the next version...
How is this any different from Native Instruments and their Komplete series? They seem to manage.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2019

Lempface wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
25 Sep 2019

How is this any different from Native Instruments and their Komplete series? They seem to manage.
What's that got to do with the price of fish?

fieldframe
RE Developer

25 Sep 2019

I really don't know what Reason Studios plans to do ~18 to 24 months from now with Reason 12 Suite. There are three ways I can see it working, each with its own problems:

A) There is a single upgrade to Reason 12, sold for $129 regardless of whether you have Suite or not. So if you bought Reason 11 Suite, you get a few more Rack Extensions that have been added to the Suite version of Reason 12 for the same price. However, Mattias has said elsewhere on this forum that Suite is a "one-time" purchase, so I don't think this will be the case.

B) There is an upgrade to Reason 12 standard for $129, and an upgrade to Reason 12 Suite for $249, just like with Reason 11. But this makes the Suite upgrade way less attractive to users who already own Suite, as they'll likely only get another 2-3 REs as opposed to the 16 they got with Reason 11 Suite.

C) There are three upgrades: Reason 12 upgrade for $129, Reason any version to Reason 12 Suite upgrade for $249, and Reason 11 Suite to Reason 12 suite for some other price, like maybe $179. Did that sound confusing? I don't think RS is going to want to further complicate the upgrade situation by adding additional SKUs.

Option A is certainly the simplest and nicest, but overall, it probably depends on how many new plugins are added to Suite for version 12.

Lempface

25 Sep 2019

fieldframe wrote:
25 Sep 2019
I really don't know what Reason Studios plans to do ~18 to 24 months from now with Reason 12 Suite. There are three ways I can see it working, each with its own problems:

A) There is a single upgrade to Reason 12, sold for $129 regardless of whether you have Suite or not. So if you bought Reason 11 Suite, you get a few more Rack Extensions that have been added to the Suite version of Reason 12 for the same price. However, Mattias has said elsewhere on this forum that Suite is a "one-time" purchase, so I don't think this will be the case.

B) There is an upgrade to Reason 12 standard for $129, and an upgrade to Reason 12 Suite for $249, just like with Reason 11. But this makes the Suite upgrade way less attractive to users who already own Suite, as they'll likely only get another 2-3 REs as opposed to the 16 they got with Reason 11 Suite.

C) There are three upgrades: Reason 12 upgrade for $129, Reason any version to Reason 12 Suite upgrade for $249, and Reason 11 Suite to Reason 12 suite for some other price, like maybe $179. Did that sound confusing? I don't think RS is going to want to further complicate the upgrade situation by adding additional SKUs.

Option A is certainly the simplest and nicest, but overall, it probably depends on how many new plugins are added to Suite for version 12.
I really don’t think it’s a big deal to add more SKUs, iZotope has a ton of ways to upgrade or crossgrade all with different prices and they seem to manage.
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

ltbrunt00

28 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
QVprod wrote:
26 Aug 2019

I think it’s safe to assume that the $250 upgrade price is only applicable for upgrades from 10 and below. They’re not listing the upgrade price from standard to suite since no one has it yet.
I mean once v11 is released. if I buy 11 Standard in October, for $130, what will they charge if I then decide I want to get the suite in December? it should be the difference of $120, not the full $250.
Did anyone get an answer for upgrading to Reason Suite. I brought Reason 11 and now want to buy the Suite. It doesn't seem right that it would cost me the entire 250 vs 129. If I buy Reason Suite for 250 then I would have spent $379 for Upgrade first then buying the Suite after. I guess the only logical thing to do is return the reason 11 upgrade then buy the Suite.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

guitfnky

28 Sep 2019

ltbrunt00 wrote:
28 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

I mean once v11 is released. if I buy 11 Standard in October, for $130, what will they charge if I then decide I want to get the suite in December? it should be the difference of $120, not the full $250.
Did anyone get an answer for upgrading to Reason Suite. I brought Reason 11 and now want to buy the Suite. It doesn't seem right that it would cost me the entire 250 vs 129. If I buy Reason Suite for 250 then I would have spent $379 for Upgrade first then buying the Suite after. I guess the only logical thing to do is return the reason 11 upgrade then buy the Suite.
currently if you want to go from Standard to Suite, unfortunately they’re going to charge you the full $250. I’m pretty sure I saw (what I think is) Mattias state on the Reasoners Reddit forum that there’s the possibility they might consider what he called a “crossgrade”, eventually, but I wasn’t able to find it in my 60 seconds of searching. 🙃

so, I’m guessing they’ll *probably* get around to it eventually, but unless you want to roll the dice, I’d say save yourself the headache, and just get the refund and upgrade to the Suite.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Carpainter

28 Sep 2019

I'm holding off on upgrading until someone at Propellerhead can confirm that we aren't locked out of buying standard non-Suite upgrades of future versions of Reason if we upgrade to Reason 11 Suite. And if we aren't, will we lose the Reason 11 Suite instruments if we decide to upgrade to the standard non-Suite version of a future version of Reason?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2019

Carpainter wrote:
28 Sep 2019
I'm holding off on upgrading until someone at Propellerhead can confirm that we aren't locked out of buying standard non-Suite upgrades of future versions of Reason if we upgrade to Reason 11 Suite. And if we aren't, will we lose the Reason 11 Suite instruments if we decide to upgrade to the standard non-Suite version of a future version of Reason?
For real...

The Suite if you don't own Reason 11 and you are upgrading is like buying an Upgrade + a Rig.

All devices are yours period.

When Reason 12 comes out you can just upgrade to that, there are no plans for another suite, but with Reason Studios never say never.

ShelLuser

28 Sep 2019

I really don't understand the issues here, even though I am quite skeptical about Reason 11 in general. I mean, seriously... you get some awesome devices at a severely good discount. Someone up there (sorry, forgot your name) mentioned the dad that bought into this and... Well.. <raises hand>.

After I upgraded to Reason 10 I did what I wanted to do for such a long time and I nabbed several RE's. Basically... almost everything the Props had. And then Suite launched ;)

But honestly you guys... Yes, the Props have turned into 'money hungries' who are walking a thin line between an honest business and a fraud. In my opinion, and the only reason I say so is because the all new & flashy Reason Studios high profiled website will easily allow you to purchase the exact same product several times. For the full price of course.... Honestly? I don't see this business model last very long without some serious improvements on the website.

Back ontopic... You guys honestly get some seriously good deals. Now, some stuff is plain out overpriced (in my opinion of course) but Complex-1 (99), Parsec (119 (IMO this should have been the other way around)), Drum kits (99 (overpriced if you ask me, but so darn usefull!)) and Layers (another 99).

This stuff alone is already worth it if you ask me. Add in some interesting piano keys (yes, piano may sound dull but do think out of the box and keep all the interesting effects in mind... Piano is actually a good sound for a sound design foundation) and all of a sudden...

Besides.. why all this talk about upgrading? As soon as the dev. releases the next major version of the RE you're out of luck anyway because you don't get any free upgrades nor discounts there. Heck... Reason studios themselves will happily showcase v2 of a rack extension while selling v1 in a rig (they do seem to correct this if you ask about this weirdness).

But with that having said.. why worry about upgrades at all? My advice would be to seriously keep the option in mind that your RE's will move onto the next version and you get to purchase them all over again. That's what I did when I bought the rigs and well... I am happy with Reason 10 and the ton of RE's I got (Synapse & Softube for the win!) and I might be tempted to upgrade again when Reason 15 comes out. Honestly? I have a hard time believing that's going to happen right now.
--- :reason:

gunark

29 Sep 2019

So there's no upgrade from Lite 10 to Suite 11 then?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

gunark wrote:
29 Sep 2019
No, from the FAQ.

Can I upgrade directly from Reason Intro/Reason Lite to Reason Suite?
No, but you can upgrade your Reason Intro or Reason Lite license directly to Reason 11 and then, if you want, upgrade Reason 11 to Reason 11 Suite.

But you can check yourself by logging in and seeing what option they offer you..
https://www.reasonstudios.com/en/reason/buy

miscend

29 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
16 Sep 2019
Kaydigi wrote:
16 Sep 2019
This sucks, I upgraded to 10 yesterday and now I have to shell out $249 for Suite?
I'd be surprised if that is the case. There is bound to be a lower price for going from R11 to R11 Suite. Maybe it will not be in place on launch day but RS are bound to introduce that as an option so they get to sell more stuffz.
It would be great if they change their minds but it isn't by any means bound to happen. Native Instruments are the same, there is no lower price Komplete 12 to Komplete 12 Ultimate upgrade path, you pay the same price as anyone upgrading from Komplete 11.

gunark

30 Sep 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
29 Sep 2019
gunark wrote:
29 Sep 2019
No, from the FAQ.

No, but you can upgrade your Reason Intro or Reason Lite license directly to Reason 11 and then, if you want, upgrade Reason 11 to Reason 11 Suite.

But you can check yourself by logging in and seeing what option they offer you..
Yeah looking at that I’d need to pay the R1-10 upgrade to suite fee in full. No way is it fair for someone who’s just paid £200+ for the Lite upgrade to pay another £229 for the Suite upgrade when it’s just over £100 more for everyone else. I’ll wait.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

01 Oct 2019

gunark wrote:
30 Sep 2019
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
29 Sep 2019

No, from the FAQ.

Yeah looking at that I’d need to pay the R1-10 upgrade to suite fee in full. No way is it fair for someone who’s just paid £200+ for the Lite upgrade to pay another £229 for the Suite upgrade when it’s just over £100 more for everyone else. I’ll wait.
It's totally fair as you are looking at it from the wrong angle, if you have it the way you want it, it would not be fair on everyone else who had brought Reason in the past.
Intro is not a cheaper route to get the full version, however saying that you are in fact getting a better deal than existing full customers and you think that's not fair?

Ulpu

24 Mar 2020

So if I have reason10 (full version), and upgrade it to 11 (full version) that’s 129€... but if I upgrade 10 to Suite -> 249€
And if I upgrade 11 -> 249€?

robotgard

25 Mar 2020

• Information