Something Like Fruity Fast Distortion

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Mike B

28 Sep 2019

Hey guys first post here. I purchased R11 yesterday and I am a complete newcomer to Reason Studios. Any feedback and help is much appreciated.

I am a full-time FL Studio user. It has a plugin called Fruity Fast Distortion. It's a type of distortion that hasn't much description besides that it is meant for bass and kick, but has been praised by many reddit users (can't find the reddit link anymore unfortunately) saying it is better than Izotope Trash and other Waveshapers.

This is what it looks like and its little description: https://www.image-line.com/support/flst ... 20Dist.htm

Is there something similar among the stock plugins or Rack Extensions ? Or can this be done with some cable routing ? In the Reason Rack Extension Shop, I found this "Forgotten Waveshaper": https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ve-shaper/

Has anyone tried it?

Thank you again for any feedback on how I can replicate this effect (more or less) inside of Reason.

Cheers!

Mike

QVprod

28 Sep 2019

You can build a distortion that only affects a single range of frequencies or even multiple ranges (multiband) Pretty easily using the stereo imager and scream 4. Here's a quic routing tutorial I found. https://www.reasonexperts.com/multiband ... son-3.html

As for RE, there are a few. Type multiband into the shop search and you see every multiband distortion device as well as other multiband effects and band splitters for you to route a distortion of your choosing. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/browse/?q=multiband+

boingy

28 Sep 2019

There is not really anything that simple in the Reason universe. The more knobs the better is the general philosophy!
As QV says, play with Scream 4 before you look elsewhere.

There is a good list of free VST distortions here: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2018/0 ... t-plugins/
Some are more complicated than others.

And at the risk of over-complicating things you do have the option to run FL Studio as a plugin in Reason or to use the Reason Rack as a plugin in FL Studio. Both a bit excessive just to get your hands on a single distortion effect but quite exciting if you want enjoy going crazy with instruments and effects.

chaosroyale

28 Sep 2019

I'm a distortion junkie so maybe I can help here.

In Reason you have a ton of options actually, including many simple ones.

Here is the simplest, and it is FREE and really fucking good.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... overdrive/

Also grab the free distortion from the same developers. They have terrible looking GUIs but they are better all-round performers than most of the paid RE distortion effects I have tried and even some expensive VSTs *sorry guys but it's true.

Back to Mr. Overdrive; it can go from subtle to absolutely mental, with a great deal of control. Like the one you linked to, it also has the "Mix" knob on the effect to blend the dry, snappy, punchy sound of your kick with the fat, fuzzy, crunchy sound, until you get a sound that sits perfectly in your mix.

I don't use FL Studio and I cannot say anything about that plugin specifically. People praising it vs. the very well-regarded "Trash" might be making the point that it is simple but effective and you don't always need a big expensive plugin.

I will say that a simple wideband OD, tape saturation, or fuzz, with a nice character, and good EQ-ing, and a wet/dry if possible, is usually better than a multiband thing which is going mess up all the phase relationships *unless that is what you want, and often turns into a washed-out mush with a bland, fuzzy, sound, whereas concentrating on one unit allows you to really dial in a killer tone.

There are some types -especially vintage sounding- that can be very good as a paid plugin, but I will tell you straight up as a distortion aficionado, expensive distortions are not always "better", they are just "different" or have more parameters to tweak.

Also Scream4 is great-sounding, but it is old and has some issues. No wet/dry and unfortunately the Tape mode, which sounds really nice, has phase issues which make it kinda useless for parallel processing. These issues have been known for 14 years and will probably never be fixed because, well, it's Reason.

Mike B wrote:
28 Sep 2019
Hey guys first post here. I purchased R11 yesterday and I am a complete newcomer to Reason Studios. Any feedback and help is much appreciated.
I am a full-time FL Studio user. It has a plugin called Fruity Fast Distortion. It's a type of distortion that hasn't much description besides that it is meant for bass and kick, but has been praised by many reddit users (can't find the reddit link anymore unfortunately) saying it is better than Izotope Trash and other Waveshapers.

This is what it looks like and its little description: https://www.image-line.com/support/flst ... 20Dist.htm

Is there something similar among the stock plugins or Rack Extensions ? Or can this be done with some cable routing ? In the Reason Rack Extension Shop, I found this "Forgotten Waveshaper": https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ve-shaper/

Has anyone tried it?

Thank you again for any feedback on how I can replicate this effect (more or less) inside of Reason.

Cheers!

Mike

Loque

28 Sep 2019

I dunno FLs distortion, but in Reason you have Distortion, Scream4, Pulverizer, The Echo, Thor, Kong and Malström. Some need special cabling. Multiband can be created with Stereo Imager or Aligator.
Reason12, Win10

Mike B

29 Sep 2019

Thank you all for your insightful feedback it is very much appreciated.

@QVProd Thank you for the tutorial on how to manually create the multiband distortion. I'm not sure whether the Fruit Fast Dist is multiband, but I will try the cabling technique and see for myself. I have taken a look at the shop search you linked me and I might try the Devastor Distortion Unit as it seems to have the best rating on that list.

@Boingy I see. Thank you for your input.

@chaosroyale Thank you for your in-depth explanation and help. I have dled the Mr. Overdrive and Distortion Chain Unit by That Music Company. The GUI does not look reassuring indeed haha but I guess the philosophy of Reason has always been Sound Quality over GUI. Understood for the pricing and the distortion units quality. I also agree with you in regards to Multi-Band Distortion. I'm not sure if the Fruity Fast Distortion is Multi-Band, but in any way I find Mr. Overdrive to have similar parameters compared to the others in the shop. I have tried Scream 4 and I agree with what you said. It is not my color of distortion imho, but I don't doubt its power and strength.

@Loque Very interesting. I'm going to go through those devices you mentioned and experience with the different types of distortion I can get from them. Thank you very much.

Again, your help is very much appreciated. Thank you all for your insights. Great community! :)

Cheers!

Mike

selig
RE Developer

29 Sep 2019

My fave for bass/kick and simplicity is Saturation Knob. It "just works" on so many sources IMO, though it lacks dry/wet and makeup gain (both of which you can add using free devices, or use on a parallel channel for ultimate control).

Best of all, it's FREE!!!

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... tion-knob/
Selig Audio, LLC

Mike B

29 Sep 2019

selig wrote:
29 Sep 2019
My fave for bass/kick and simplicity is Saturation Knob. It "just works" on so many sources IMO, though it lacks dry/wet and makeup gain (both of which you can add using free devices, or use on a parallel channel for ultimate control).

Oh wow!! I've seen that in VST format before! It looks great in Rack Extension format! And it's free! Amazing! Thank you for that :thumbs_up:

chaosroyale

29 Sep 2019

+1 for Saturation knob! Try the "keep low" setting for fat and subtle saturation on your low end.

About "multiband" this and that. I would advise you to be VERY skeptical about multiband effects. A lot of people treat them as magic, because they don't really understand what is going on, and it is basically snake oil. Even something well-known like multiband compression often causes more problems than it solves. On single instruments especially, wideband effects and careful eq is almost always a more efficient way to get good results.

I will say it outright; multi band effects make it easier to make your sounds worse. ESPECIALLY for things like kicks and bass.

Think about all the amazing distortion tones you have heard on tracks from Hendrix or Meshuggah or whoever. None of those were multiband distortion. Think about the heavy 909s and breakbeats from hardcore and industrial. None of those were multiband distortion. Think about the thick but tasteful saturation on old RnB and Funk tracks, again - no multiband distortion.

Multiband can be very useful IF you have expert knowledge of wideband processing and know its strengths and weaknesses, otherwise, it's a simple ticket to time wasting and a flat sound.

The FL Studio plugin you linked is almost certainly NOT a multiband effect.
Mike B wrote:
29 Sep 2019
selig wrote:
29 Sep 2019

Oh wow!! I've seen that in VST format before! It looks great in Rack Extension format! And it's free! Amazing! Thank you for that :thumbs_up:

Mike B

29 Sep 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
29 Sep 2019
+1 for Saturation knob! Try the "keep low" setting for fat and subtle saturation on your low end.

About "multiband" this and that. I would advise you to be VERY skeptical about multiband effects. A lot of people treat them as magic, because they don't really understand what is going on, and it is basically snake oil. Even something well-known like multiband compression often causes more problems than it solves. On single instruments especially, wideband effects and careful eq is almost always a more efficient way to get good results.

I will say it outright; multi band effects make it easier to make your sounds worse. ESPECIALLY for things like kicks and bass.

Think about all the amazing distortion tones you have heard on tracks from Hendrix or Meshuggah or whoever. None of those were multiband distortion. Think about the heavy 909s and breakbeats from hardcore and industrial. None of those were multiband distortion. Think about the thick but tasteful saturation on old RnB and Funk tracks, again - no multiband distortion.

Multiband can be very useful IF you have expert knowledge of wideband processing and know its strengths and weaknesses, otherwise, it's a simple ticket to time wasting and a flat sound.

I have taken this Sunday to try out the different distortion devices inside of Reason and in the shop. The multi-bands are definitely too complicated for my taste. And I am definitely not an expert in multi-band distortion. Like you have well understood I am basically looking for a kick and bass oriented distortion device.

What I've done to test is put the same Kick inside of FL Studio and Reason, with Fruity Fast Dist on the kick in FL with the wanted settings, and several distortions tried independently on the Kick in Reason. I've also made sure the velocity and Kick key note are the same in both DAWs.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (16.52 KiB) Viewed 9361 times
The Fruity distortion gives me a punchier Kick with a strong attack, but also keeps the lows clean and clear, and adds a very clean and subtle fuzz. This happens when Thresh is turned all the way down left and the mix all the way down right, with "Pre" amp knob untouched (middle) and "Post" gain knob all the way right.

Mr. Overdrive is a very flexible unit capable of reproducing very creative distortions and heavy bass signals with its filter parameter, but has failed to give me that sweet spot between low-end and high-end frequencies. I was getting the same results in the highs and distortion in both but Override failed to reproduce that low-end no matter how I tweaked its parameters. Even the attack seemed somewhat to lose its punch. Same goes for the Softube Saturator Knob. Low-ends are somewhat weaker than Fruity's. I thought of creating a parallel channel with the other channel untreated but at this point I looked at the other options the Shop has.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (49.63 KiB) Viewed 9361 times

I came across Blamsoft's tOOb distortion unit. It gave me the EXACT sound of the fruity fast distorted kick, with very minimal settings (as you can see in the image above). I'd like to point out that it mostly resembles to the Fruity Distortion when it's parameter is set to B, with a more curved and steeper signal, compared to A, a flatter signal, which you can see below.
Capture3.JPG
Capture3.JPG (15.92 KiB) Viewed 9361 times
Again, your help is much appreciated. Blamsoft's t00b fits the distortion I need for my kick and bass. But the others you have mentioned are fantastic for creative purposes. I have a feeling my pads will have great depth with that Saturation knob and I can definitely have super bassy filtered Kicks with Mr. Overdrive :thumbs_up:

Cheers!

Mike
Last edited by Mike B on 29 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

MannequinRaces

29 Sep 2019

I somehow completely missed or wasn’t aware that Blamsoft had that RE, lol. I’ll be trialing that one soon.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

Also, try Scream, set to Tape, and P2 set all they way to the left (zero).
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

chaosroyale

29 Sep 2019

So glad you found that sweet spot you liked! Always feels good when distortion dials in just right.

In case you didn't try it yet - you don't need a parallel channel with Mr. Overdrive or Toob. Instead try cranking the drive pretty high and then use the wet/dry knob to blend mostly dry signal (say, 70 dry / 30 wet) and see how you like that. That should help keep the punch and the crisp attack.
Mike B wrote:
29 Sep 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
29 Sep 2019

I have taken this Sunday to try out the different distortion devices inside of Reason and in the shop. The multi-bands are definitely too complicated for my taste. And I am definitely not an expert in multi-band distortion. Like you have well understood I am basically looking for a kick and bass oriented distortion device.

What I've done to test is put the same Kick inside of FL Studio and Reason, with Fruity Fast Dist on the kick in FL with the wanted settings, and several distortions tried independently on the Kick in Reason. I've also made sure the velocity and Kick key note are the same in both DAWs.

Capture.JPG

The Fruity distortion gives me a punchier Kick with a strong attack, but also keeps the lows clean and clear, and adds a very clean and subtle fuzz. This happens when Thresh is turned all the way down left and the mix all the way down right, with "Pre" amp knob untouched (middle) and "Post" gain knob all the way right.

Mr. Overdrive is a very flexible unit capable of reproducing very creative distortions and heavy bass signals with its filter parameter, but has failed to give me that sweet spot between low-end and high-end frequencies. I was getting the same results in the highs and distortion in both but Override failed to reproduce that low-end no matter how I tweaked its parameters. Even the attack seemed somewhat to lose its punch. Same goes for the Softube Saturator Knob. Low-ends are somewhat weaker than Fruity's. I thought of creating a parallel channel with the other channel untreated but at this point I looked at the other options the Shop has.

Capture2.JPG

I came across Blamsoft's tOOb distortion unit. It gave me the EXACT sound of the fruity fast distorted kick, with very minimal settings (as you can see in the image above). I'd like to point out that it mostly resembles to the Fruity Distortion when it's parameter is set to B, with a more curved and steeper signal, compared to A, a flatter signal, which you can see below.

Capture3.JPG

Again, your help is much appreciated. Blamsoft's t00b fits the distortion I need for my kick and bass. But the others you have mentioned are fantastic for creative purposes. I have a feeling my pads will have great depth with that Saturation knob and I can definitely have super bassy filtered Kicks with Mr. Overdrive :thumbs_up:

Cheers!

Mike

Loque

29 Sep 2019

Mike B wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Ahhh..."Threshold"... This could be a dynamic Distortion... This can be build in Reason too. Maybe tomorrow i can provide a patch.

You could also try to add filters, EQ and Loudness to control the result of the distortion. Try this on a parallel channel to be able to mix it in. Also try "Invert Phase" on the SSL mixer channel.

Happy playing...
Reason12, Win10

Mike B

29 Sep 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
29 Sep 2019
So glad you found that sweet spot you liked! Always feels good when distortion dials in just right.

In case you didn't try it yet - you don't need a parallel channel with Mr. Overdrive or Toob. Instead try cranking the drive pretty high and then use the wet/dry knob to blend mostly dry signal (say, 70 dry / 30 wet) and see how you like that. That should help keep the punch and the crisp attack.
Thank you and I appreciate your help very much. You all have given me the best options to achieve this. I have indeed played and tweaked with Overdrive's dry/wet nob and still couldn't match what the fruity fast distortion was reproducing. However the t00b replicated the exact same signal including some sort of fast attack and release compression. Very subtle and can even add a slight "analog" feel, especially with the flexible adjustments compared to fruity's.

First days in Reason and already feel the creative potential it has once I get used to the ins and outs :thumbs_up:

boingy

29 Sep 2019

Mike B wrote:
29 Sep 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
29 Sep 2019

Thank you and I appreciate your help very much. You all have given me the best options to achieve this. I have indeed played and tweaked with Overdrive's dry/wet nob and still couldn't match what the fruity fast distortion was reproducing. However the t00b replicated the exact same signal including some sort of fast attack and release compression. Very subtle and can even add a slight "analog" feel, especially with the flexible adjustments compared to fruity's.

First days in Reason and already feel the creative potential it has once I get used to the ins and outs :thumbs_up:
Don't worry. We'll soon convert you from someone who uses one simple distortion that does the job well into someone who has 26 different options and infinite wiring possibilities and spends half a day choosing one of them. :thumbs_up:

Mike B

29 Sep 2019

Loque wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Mike B wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Ahhh..."Threshold"... This could be a dynamic Distortion... This can be build in Reason too. Maybe tomorrow i can provide a patch.

You could also try to add filters, EQ and Loudness to control the result of the distortion. Try this on a parallel channel to be able to mix it in. Also try "Invert Phase" on the SSL mixer channel.

Happy playing...
The more I explore Reason the more I understand the importance of setting templates. I will definitely try adding the effects you have mentioned and see whether I can reach fruity's distortion using only Reason stock plugins. That would be amazing :D

Mike B

29 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Mike B wrote:
29 Sep 2019

Don't worry. We'll soon convert you from someone who uses one simple distortion that does the job well into someone who has 26 different options and infinite wiring possibilities and spends half a day choosing one of them. :thumbs_up:
haha that's great! Reason seems so simple upfront but the more I'm exploring it the more I'm amazed of how much things can be done when you set up your own workflow :)

Loque

30 Sep 2019

Mike B wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Loque wrote:
29 Sep 2019

Happy playing...
The more I explore Reason the more I understand the importance of setting templates. I will definitely try adding the effects you have mentioned and see whether I can reach fruity's distortion using only Reason stock plugins. That would be amazing :D
Have fun with it. You should reserve a bit of time to understand the connections. Might be a bit too much for a new Reason user.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7514231
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

01 Oct 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
29 Sep 2019

I never feel I have enough control with only a dry/wet (mix) knob on distortion. This is probably because I don't want to LOWER the dry signal (as the mix knob does), and only want to add a little "wet". Imagine adding seasoning to a dish where the amount of original ingredients changes with an inverse relationship to the amount of seasoning! That may just be a personal thing, but I always prefer a way to "add" saturation to a dry signal without changing the level of the dry signal as well.
Selig Audio, LLC

Sterioevo

01 Oct 2019

selig wrote:
01 Oct 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
29 Sep 2019

I never feel I have enough control with only a dry/wet (mix) knob on distortion. This is probably because I don't want to LOWER the dry signal (as the mix knob does), and only want to add a little "wet". Imagine adding seasoning to a dish where the amount of original ingredients changes with an inverse relationship to the amount of seasoning! That may just be a personal thing, but I always prefer a way to "add" saturation to a dry signal without changing the level of the dry signal as well.
What - like a VCA on a Groovy Melon?

QVprod

01 Oct 2019

Glad you found a solution. Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting mutiband per se but rather the option to select a frequency range which is what a multiband option would allow. Fruity Fast Dist isn't a multiband distortion but has a selectable frequency range with controlled by its threshold knob

chaosroyale

01 Oct 2019

OP did specifically say they were trying to recreate that fruity plugin which uses a wet/dry knob. I hear you about the parallel channel, although I generally prefer to use just a wet/dry and boost the input to keep up the dry gain, anything to avoid adding yet more channels to an always-overloaded mixer!
selig wrote:
01 Oct 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
29 Sep 2019

Loque

01 Oct 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
01 Oct 2019
OP did specifically say they were trying to recreate that fruity plugin which uses a wet/dry knob. I hear you about the parallel channel, although I generally prefer to use just a wet/dry and boost the input to keep up the dry gain, anything to avoid adding yet more channels to an always-overloaded mixer!
selig wrote:
01 Oct 2019

Boosting the input on a distortion unit does not only increase the dry (if wet/dry is available), but it also has a huge impact on the resulting wet signal.
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

01 Oct 2019

Obviously, but you use the drive controls in tandem with that.
Loque wrote:
01 Oct 2019
chaosroyale wrote:
01 Oct 2019

Boosting the input on a distortion unit does not only increase the dry (if wet/dry is available), but it also has a huge impact on the resulting wet signal.

• Information