Utility Modules - 1st up MN Maths [Video] Mix, A-vert, Slew

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

31 Jul 2019

Polyend Poly 2

- [MPE compatibility]
- Still POWERS the KEYSTEP.

-12 configurable outputs
-8 voices of polyphony
-Beautiful OLED display
-Smart Thru feature
-Scale Quantization on board

O1B

31 Jul 2019

This is a Good Video on Polyend Poly V1

O1B

02 Aug 2019

Triplatt - the new Traitt, is here.

- Three channels of Uni/bi-Polarize-able CV or Audio

And, with the Flick of a switch,
- the First Channel Doubles (CV Value)
- the Second adds 5 Volts
- the Third Mutes.

Utah! Give me two!

In stock now. Control-Mod in Brooklyn is my Source.

https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/triplatt/

O1B

03 Aug 2019

Sorry, Selig. I had to grab two from Control-mod before you got there.

I was on the fence with MI Shades, but - I'm glad I waited.

TRIPLATT:
very precise,
the three easter eggs (times 2, plus 5, and NULL) are quite useful, and
it's stiff friendly as a mofo.

I'm happy with the small stuff.
O1B-Triplatt1of2.jpg
O1B-Triplatt1of2.jpg (514.78 KiB) Viewed 7640 times

selig
RE Developer

03 Aug 2019

O1B wrote:
25 Nov 2018
Reverb Modules - in my experience - SUCK. So my go-to Reverb Guitar Pedal for Modular is Strymon Blue Sky (Love the Built in High and Low Damp. Priceless:
maybe, Big Sky....
Wish they would put this in Eurorack like Magneto.
What do you think about Erica Black Hole?
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

03 Aug 2019

O1B wrote:
03 Aug 2019

TRIPLATT:
very precise,

O1B-Triplatt1of2.jpg
Ha, gotta be quicker in these parts - overdue for a visit to over to Brooklyn…
I love Triatt, an unassuming but ever so useful module. I prefer the new switches, but only two positions per knob (no negative unipolar)? Not sure the easter eggs do much for me, especially since they are specific to each knob (so you need to choose wisely when patching, or rearrange cabling as needed).

My next Eurorack will be FX based, for both my modular and external audio processing. Will want one of these for that rack for sure.
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

04 Aug 2019

You are absolutely Right, Selig. I can't believe I missed the Negative ONLY on Triatt. Nice.
Thanks! I grabbed one of the last few NEW ones floating around for $70.

I also have Mutes by DivKid. Nice module in its own right (Momentary position)

I'm interesting in your FX Journey.

Softube TSAR-1.... what did they put in there?! That thing is impossible to Beat.

Except by...:

I haven't tried it, but, I have reservations on Magneto. I loathe that fake, glassy sound I hear sometimes.

selig wrote:
03 Aug 2019
O1B wrote:
03 Aug 2019

TRIPLATT:
very precise,

O1B-Triplatt1of2.jpg
Ha, gotta be quicker in these parts - overdue for a visit to over to Brooklyn…
I love Triatt, an unassuming but ever so useful module. I prefer the new switches, but only two positions per knob (no negative unipolar)? Not sure the easter eggs do much for me, especially since they are specific to each knob (so you need to choose wisely when patching, or rearrange cabling as needed).

My next Eurorack will be FX based, for both my modular and external audio processing. Will want one of these for that rack for sure.

O1B

11 Aug 2019

they are specific to each knob
They CAN be Specific to each knob..

You never need to
- "times 2?" or "divide by 2?" Speed, Pitch, Time, Space?
- Plus 5? Volts..
- Null? or, Mute?
- Check/Verify the Polarity RED/GREEN of the Signal?
All, without altering the Main/Source CV/Audio Signals...?

Those functions are quite useful in my tests...

selig wrote:
03 Aug 2019

O1B

22 Aug 2019

UP NEXT. The 4ms Pingable Envelope Generator.

There's Maths... Then, there's the PEG.

PEG offers Proper Control of the Envelope:

- Ping. When you Want
While Maths can 'Cycle,' the speed of that cycle is not so easy to control.
PEG is two tap-tempo-able, or clock-able, or cycle-able Pings.

- Proper Control of Shape/Contour CURVE and SKEW
Both are AD/AR/RiseFall - Envelopes.. But, the PEG can go from Expo to Triangle to Sinish to Log, and a few others.
Damn if you can really tell what the envelope generated by Maths is - w/o a scope. I hate GUESSING.

- BiPolar Mode.
I had to learn the hard way. you can NOT convert a uni to a bipolar. at, least, I haven't found the module.
So... Maths by itself is useless of you need a BiPolar Wave Event - unless you can get those middle knobs swinging.

- Div/Mult. of the Clock.
Priceless. Sometimes, I just can't ping that fast - or slow. Those times, I reach for a 'X4... or /6'

https://4mscompany.com/peg.php?c=5
A Godsend. (Released on 2012.)

I'm keeping my Maths, and hope to acquire a Mint used Function, and save some dough.
But, the PEG is quite the utility. I wish I could get 1/2PEG, on the side...

O1B

25 Aug 2019

PEG is a Must HAVE. TWO isn't Excess.
Now... PEG + QCD (Quad Clock Distributor)... 6 Pieces of Music (at least) Sync'd to different divisions of the Tempo.

The PEG and QCD are very shallow and can fit in a 4ms Pod(60) - as can Maths and Function.

**** 4ms QP LFO (Quad Pingable LFO is Deeper than Pod60s, however. ****
I have Make Noise Tempi, but QP LFO seems useful for when you want other divisions of the main clock.

O1B

16 Sep 2019

Ouch!... ES-9.

USB socket: Type C
Driver suport: class-compliant USB 2.0 (no driver required for macOS and iOS - Windows drivers provided for Windows 7, 8 & 10)
Channel count: 16 in, 16 out
Supported sample rates: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz
Audio sample depth: 24 bit
Analogue outputs:
8x 3.5mm TS jacks, DC-coupled, Maximum output voltage approximately ±10V
2x 1/4" TRS balanced jacks, AC-coupled (main outs)
1x 1/4" TRS stereo jack, DC-coupled (headphones)
Analogue inputs:
14x 3.5mm TS jacks, DC-coupled, Input voltage range approximately ±10V
Digital I/O: 1x S/PDIF input (TOSlink), 1x S/PDIF output (TOSlink)
MIDI I/O: 1 input, 1 output (on breakout)
Expansion headers: 1 for ES-5, 1 for MIDI breakout
Panel controls: headphone volume
Internal mixer: 8x8 crosspoint mixer

Hmm....

selig
RE Developer

17 Sep 2019

O1B wrote:
16 Sep 2019
Hmm....
Hmm indeed - thanks for the heads up, didn’t even know this was on the horizon.
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

19 Sep 2019

There are so many choices (OUT NOW) that I have to slow down and pick correctly.
I NEED FILTERSSSS... but .... I feel I only have the space for 1...... maybe ...... 2 audio/cv interfaces, so I haven't picked yet.

I don't want to have to USE a computer, so this and the Poly 2 are TOPS on the list now.

Maybe, having both is ideal? One for more dedicated Audio duties. One for CV.... ?

Oh well, off to buy another Filter! (Screws?! I use knurlies with 2-3 washers on each!!)

Selig, I haven't immersed myself with the FX mods. Life came UP in a big way. I'll have time this weekend again!
I mean to Report back to you. Sorry for the delay.

selig wrote:
17 Sep 2019
O1B wrote:
16 Sep 2019
Hmm....
Hmm indeed - thanks for the heads up, didn’t even know this was on the horizon.

O1B

28 Sep 2019

Welcome Dreadbox,,,,Available in December 2019

Performance VCO,
Filter-Mixer-VCA, 3-Stage Delay, Dual Modulator, Noise-Crush-Filter, CV/Audio Manipulator
- and MORE TO COME.
Sub $100 modules

Features

CV Audio Manipulator
4x Attenuinverters
Offset Generator (+/- 10V)
4 to 3 Mixer (it can also work as a buffered splitter)
Voltage Controlled LFO with range from 30sec up to 440Hz
Pulserizer effect (will distort and convert signals into a square wave)
23mm depth
10HP

Utopia / CV-Audio Manipulator.... Price: 79 €

selig
RE Developer

28 Sep 2019

O1B wrote:
19 Sep 2019
There are so many choices (OUT NOW) that I have to slow down and pick correctly.
I NEED FILTERSSSS... but .... I feel I only have the space for 1...... maybe ...... 2 audio/cv interfaces, so I haven't picked yet.

Selig, I haven't immersed myself with the FX mods. Life came UP in a big way. I'll have time this weekend again!
The struggle is real - so many modules, so little time.
Really appreciate these threads, even though they are going to be the death of my bank account!!!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

02 Oct 2019

Hey Hey Hey!

MC-101 comes today. Proper test of the Delays after. Drums, Vocals, Full Mix, F(X)
The 101 has a spot ready on my Desk.
selig wrote:
28 Sep 2019
O1B wrote:
19 Sep 2019

The struggle is real - so many modules, so little time.
Really appreciate these threads, even though they are going to be the death of my bank account!!!
:)

O1B

02 Oct 2019

Hey CatBlack, ... is the Sin Phi on ModularGrid? I can't find it.

I saw this run-down from a Builder who's switching to Rampage. I was wondering what your thoughts were...?
I like the 'complete control' over stages the module offers (Maths doesn't) - but -

Rampage fader control of the 'Ramp' shape - and that Balance Knob (on both)... hmmm...

Thanks for any words...
ImageImage
This module is functional but I ultimately decided that I didn't like it due to several oversights from Sin Phi's design. I am selling it for about the cost of the parts to get it off my desk.

My gripes with Miasma compared to Rampage:
The panel holes are too tall to fit in some racks. It fits in my Make Noise skiff with M2.5 screws, but not in my normal rack with M3 screws.
The envelopes can have their FALL time set far too high in all modes, practically latching high until you turn them down
A two position momentary switch to trigger each channel is not as fun as the buttons used on Rampage
The attenuverters seem to have reverse behavior than expected
The calibration pots are not accessible without removing the panel entirely
Catblack wrote:
24 Sep 2019
I've got a Sin Phi Miasma I built a couple of months ago. It's a DIY extended version of the Befaco Rampage. Though I mounted ultra bright blue LEDs on it way too high so it's a bit blinding to use, but it's just amazing. It was a fun build, though it took forever to get all the resistors gathered together. (Lots of values different from the Mutable boards.) Anyhow, the Miasma is a function generator.

I'll probably build another in a few months and really pay attention to the pots and switches I put on it. The ones I used, the pots are a bit stiff, and the switches aren't as beefy as I'd like. (I've got to get ahold of the switches that Divkid uses for his Mutes module.)

O1B

10 Oct 2019

Bubblesound HEX a(s)r Six Channel AR / ASR Envelope

- One Gate INPUT triggers ALL six.
- Channels can be fed into other channels.
- Pairs of Outs (3)
- All Out
- Nine (9) OUTS Total.
Lights.

Quite useful.

The HEXa(s)r is a 9HP module with 6 independent AR/ASR envelope generator and 3 mixer sections for a total of 9 outputs – a considerable amount of modulation sources within a very small footprint. Being skiff friendly and light on power consumption, this beast is a super versatile addition to any eurorack jungle.

Each envelope generator has a gate input and can be set to Attack/Release or Attack/Sustain/Release, with corresponding LEDs for visual feedback. Incoming gates are normalized, therefore one gate signal in input 1 will trigger all 6 envelopes. You can use the output of one EG to trigger another EG – this can be utilized to make a type of gate delay for individual outputs or complex rhythm or modulation effects from the Mix output section.

O1B

30 Nov 2019

Patchng Panda..... very.... Lectric
http://patchingpanda.com/punch

Dual VCA "Mangulation" - IN - (Trigger, Accent, and Decay) - OUT w/ENV (+ or Inverted)

http://patchingpanda.com/wp-content/upl ... manual.pdf

O1B

10 Jan 2020

Tip Top Audio's Z4000 NS Envelope Generator
http://tiptopaudio.com/z4000-ns/

*** w/ a switch for Log vs Exp *** I have not run across that yet that I'm aware. (In a Full ADSR Generator)
28mm deep is right up my alley!

"The first 0-50% of the knobs rotation is dedicated to high resolution adjustment in the millisecond range."
"A Shoot button is provided"

"The Z4000 NS is a snappy voltage-controlled analog envelope generator with a built-in CV processor for scaling, inverting, and voltage-controlled deviating of the envelope shape. The Z4000 generates an envelope made of the four classic segments: Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release, in which each segment can be manually set using knobs or dynamically set under voltage control."

.... that Sound...

selig
RE Developer

10 Jan 2020

OK, new module which I haven't had a chance to see in person - but could be really useful for my current rack. It reminds me of the simple A/R in my MiniBrute 2s, which I really like…
How does this compare to some of the modules previously mentioned here, such as Rampage/Miasma/PEG?

Selig Audio, LLC

kungubu

12 Jan 2020

I have the Quadra with Expander which is a very capable function generator with the possibility to create complex envelopes or envelope patterns (or lfos) comparable with other function generators like Rampage, Maths, PEG or Falistri. And the quadra has 4 eg:s compared to the others that only has 2, which also makes it handy when you need a couple of envelopes for simpler duties. Quadrax seems to be a Quadra on steroids (especially with the qx expander that gives you eor and eof gates). The only downside, as I see it, is the multifunction buttons, the link modes, the assignable cv-ins and the cv-assignment matrix to route modulation that will take some time to master. But I guess that is the prize you have to pay for getting all that functionality in 14hp (18 with expander). Even though I know I prefer simpler modules where one knob just have one funktion – i have been thinking about getting falistri for some time (pros are that you can control rise and fall shapes independently and that the changing of the slope shapes don't affect the length of te cycle) – I must admit that quadrax is tempting.

O1B

13 Jan 2020

selig wrote:
10 Jan 2020
OK, new module which I haven't had a chance to see in person - but could be really useful for my current rack. It reminds me of the simple A/R in my MiniBrute 2s, which I really like…
How does this compare to some of the modules previously mentioned here, such as Rampage/Miasma/PEG?
PEG vs Quadrax -
- Quadrax preserves TIME... I have to research this...
- Quadrax has a nice BURST mode - that rivals TINRS' Edge Cutter.
I LIKE BURST MODE!

- Quadrax is uniPOLAR only - except LFO Mode. PEG ALSO does BI Polar.
Quadrax's LFO Mode is like Peaks ... you need a scope to "see" what shape you're using. :redface:
But, at least they all seem to be full scale shapes vs Peaks' variable voltages.

- Quadrax Response curves are limited to skewing Rise and Fall vs PEG's 9 pre-skew Curve shapes
- Quadrax needs another module to TAP in Tempo - vs PEG's dual TAP
- PEG NEEDS an LFO as it ONLY does tap, fyi - but another LFO module would be ideal (PH-4) for either, imo

- Quadrax can not mult or divide clock vs PEG
- Quadrax just Triggers vs PEG's interjection of ample CV control over stages (EOR, EOF, Skew, Curve)
- Quadrax needs another Module to Scale it's signal vs PEG's onboard SCALE control

I wouldn't give up my PEG or Maths or Edge Cutter (just yet)

But, Quadrax looks like a 'must have' for pairing with the others. Thanks for the Heads up, PHeads! :mrgreen:

kungubu wrote:
12 Jan 2020
I have the Quadra with Expander which is a very capable function generator with the possibility to create complex envelopes or envelope patterns (or lfos) comparable with other function generators like Rampage, Maths, PEG or Falistri. And the quadra has 4 eg:s compared to the others that only has 2, which also makes it handy when you need a couple of envelopes for simpler duties. Quadrax seems to be a Quadra on steroids (especially with the qx expander that gives you eor and eof gates). The only downside, as I see it, is the multifunction buttons, the link modes, the assignable cv-ins and the cv-assignment matrix to route modulation that will take some time to master. But I guess that is the prize you have to pay for getting all that functionality in 14hp (18 with expander). Even though I know I prefer simpler modules where one knob just have one funktion – i have been thinking about getting falistri for some time (pros are that you can control rise and fall shapes independently and that the changing of the slope shapes don't affect the length of te cycle) – I must admit that quadrax is tempting.

selig
RE Developer

13 Jan 2020

O1B wrote:
13 Jan 2020
PEG vs Quadrax -
- Quadrax preserves TIME... I have to research this...
- Quadrax has a nice BURST mode - that rivals TINRS' Edge Cutter.
I LIKE BURST MODE!

- Quadrax is uniPOLAR only - except LFO Mode. PEG ALSO does BI Polar.
Quadrax's LFO Mode is like Peaks ... you need a scope to "see" what shape you're using. :redface:
But, at least they all seem to be full scale shapes vs Peaks' variable voltages.

- Quadrax Response curves are limited to skewing Rise and Fall vs PEG's 9 pre-skew Curve shapes
- Quadrax needs another module to TAP in Tempo - vs PEG's dual TAP
- PEG NEEDS an LFO as it ONLY does tap, fyi - but another LFO module would be ideal (PH-4) for either, imo

- Quadrax can not mult or divide clock vs PEG
- Quadrax just Triggers vs PEG's interjection of ample CV control over stages (EOR, EOF, Skew, Curve)
- Quadrax needs another Module to Scale it's signal vs PEG's onboard SCALE control

I wouldn't give up my PEG or Maths or Edge Cutter (just yet)

But, Quadrax looks like a 'must have' for pairing with the others. Thanks for the Heads up, PHeads! :mrgreen:
As always, thanks for the thoughtful and detailed response. :)
The only issue you mention I'm not 100% sure about is CV control in Quadrax, which while not super intuitive looking DOES exist for any parameter (including an attenuverter). I'll definitely be getting a Quadrax if just for the function density (four env/lfo in 14 HP), but will also look at PEG for some of it's more advanced functions.
Selig Audio, LLC

O1B

16 Jan 2020

WMD Performance Mixer Most-in-One.

Limited Edition. $999.

* 10 channels behind one panel
** 2 mono auxiliary sends with dual mono returns, stereo send and return, and another set of stereo mix inputs give you the routing you need to send signals to interesting effects as well as utility uses such as bus compression and master equalizers.

Of course. Ordered. All loose mixers can GO.
https://wmdevices.com/products/performance-mixer-le

• Information