Studio One Pros & Cons

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Creativemind

27 Sep 2019

Hi!

Thinking of giving Studio One another go. I forget where now (maybe the PreSonus site maybe Splice) but I did the rent to own on it which is now frozen. I didn't give it much of a chance (about 3 months ago) as for some reason it just didn't grab me but after seeing videos on Impact XT and Sample One XT I'm thinking, wow they look fantastic. Sample One, so advanced how you can record directly in it and all kinds of clever audio manipulation and effects.

So what are the pros & cons?

When I used it 3 months ago, I found the synth presets sounded quite average but maybe it was psychosomatic as my heart may not have been in it lol!

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

boingy

27 Sep 2019

(Sorry for all the words. I got a bit carried away...)

If you were to chose a DAW purely on the basis of the built-in instruments I think Studio One would be some way down the league table - it only has 5 instruments. Between them they have everything you need to make music but the two you mentioned are the stand out ones. The others are OK. I use them very much like I use ID8 in Reason - to rough out a song with the intention of replacing the sounds once I have the basic song structure in place. But VST instruments are easy to come by so you can tailor your sonic armoury to match your genre/needs. The built-in effects, on the other hand, are top notch: multiband dynamics, great EQ, decent reverbs etc.

Studio One initially won me over with the chord track, the arranger track and the marker track - brilliant tools that just work as you expect them to. And that philosophy runs throughout the software so it continues to win me over further. I rarely have to run to the manual or to YouTube to find out how to do stuff - usually a right-click gives you the options you are looking for.

Of course, it's not perfect. Nothing ever is. The console view can get confusing with all the various display options and there have been a couple of times when I've had to hunt around to find out how to display controls that I have previously seen there but lost because I accidentally switched to "narrow view" or similar.

The most recent head-scratcher was when I wanted to convert an audio track from stereo to mono. I expected that to be in the right-click Audio menu but you have to switch the track switch to mono then bounce it in place. It's not a biggie but it did need Google because I'd never even noticed that mono switch! Now that I know how to do it I have a macro on the toolbar to do it for me, even attenuating the stereo track a little to make the bounced mono version the same volume. The macros are powerful but not well documented so that macro required a little help from a chap on the official forum.

But these are exceptions to the rule. I mostly don't get slowed down by user interface limitations or by having to hunt around for the function I want, which is something I do end up doing with Reason.

If you do go for it I have some tips:

1. A small thing but Presonus refer to clips as events. So a bar or two of midi or audio is one "event" rather than the more typical "clip" that contains events. That little piece of knowledge really helps make sense of other tips and advice!

2. Click on the little question mark on the top tool bar. That enables a sort of "tool tips" bar that will display useful info about whatever is under your mouse cursor. It's a great way to find out lots of the shortcuts and mouse actions. For example, hovering over the ruler tells you it's name and all of the mouse and key actions to move, zoom, start/stop and set the loop ends.

3. If you decide to go for it, before you start up that subscription again check the crossgrade offer I posted on this forum earlier. It may well be cheaper than the remaining rent-to-buy payments (although you would have to stump up the cash in one lump).

So my summary would be that S1 is at the grown-up end of the DAW world. It doesn't have the visual appeal of Reason or Live but it more than makes up for that by just being a productive, no-fuss experience which always seems to offer you exactly the functions you need right where you need them. And when you dig deeper it has some really cool stuff like FX chains: www.soundonsound.com/techniques/studio- ... -fx-chains

If I had a Mac I'd probably be using Logic but in PC-land Studio One is definitely the best DAW for me (supplemented, of course, by Reason).

Kalm

27 Sep 2019

I'm all Pro for Studio One but there are a couple cons,

One, my system + Fresh code means random crashing. Its especially picky when it comes to plugins. AU has became the reaper format because of this and even Soundtoys doesn't have full compatibility with them (they work but could be issues).

Sometimes the processes doesn't spit back the exact audio you left originally. Transform to audio is so brilliant but depending on the plugins, it doesn't flip back exactly. I believe its a delay issue since turning off all plugins and turning them back on (using the all button) causes delay problems across the channels as if PDC gets confused.

This is all on my system though.

But there's like 1000 pros to 10 cons.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

guitfnky

27 Sep 2019

seems like the consensus ‘pro’ is that it’s a workhorse of a DAW. I tried demoing it, but the biggest con (for me) is that it’s sort of boring and uninspiring.

I probably wouldn’t think that if I’d come at it from another DAW, but after using Reason, any DAW that I’d consider using would have to meet some basic level of “fun to use”.

I bet using it for session work is probably a great experience, but as someone who uses my DAW as a writing tool, Studio One just doesn’t cut it.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

boingy

27 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
27 Sep 2019
seems like the consensus ‘pro’ is that it’s a workhorse of a DAW. I tried demoing it, but the biggest con (for me) is that it’s sort of boring and uninspiring.

I probably wouldn’t think that if I’d come at it from another DAW, but after using Reason, any DAW that I’d consider using would have to meet some basic level of “fun to use”.

I bet using it for session work is probably a great experience, but as someone who uses my DAW as a writing tool, Studio One just doesn’t cut it.
Sure, it's not for everybody and Reason is still unique and fun when it comes to the rack and the wobbly cables around the back. But taking your last point, it depends what you mean by "writing tool". Because writing in my sense of the word is one aspect where S1 blows Reason out of the water. I write in a key with chords, verses, choruses middle 8's etc. Reason is brilliant for coming up with loops, grooves, riffs and sometimes stuff you would never stumble across in another DAW. S1 is brilliant at making sense of those loops and sounds and stringing them together to make a whole structured, song. You can do it in Reason, but you (or at least I) can do it much, much quicker in S1. For EDM, where traditional song structure does not always apply, it's a closer run thing. So, yeah, not for everyone. I really wanted to like Live but it just frustrated me.

guitfnky

27 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
27 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
27 Sep 2019

Sure, it's not for everybody and Reason is still unique and fun when it comes to the rack and the wobbly cables around the back. But taking your last point, it depends what you mean by "writing tool". Because writing in my sense of the word is one aspect where S1 blows Reason out of the water. I write in a key with chords, verses, choruses middle 8's etc. Reason is brilliant for coming up with loops, grooves, riffs and sometimes stuff you would never stumble across in another DAW. S1 is brilliant at making sense of those loops and sounds and stringing them together to make a whole structured, song. You can do it in Reason, but you (or at least I) can do it much, much quicker in S1. For EDM, where traditional song structure does not always apply, it's a closer run thing. So, yeah, not for everyone. I really wanted to like Live but it just frustrated me.
that makes sense—it all comes down to approach. for me, I almost never concern myself with music theory. it’s rare that I’d even be able to name a single note I’ve used in a song. the most I’ve used any sort of theory in my music is in figuring out a chord or scale simply in the interest of using Players.

I’ve never had trouble piecing sections together into a cohesive whole in Reason. I use Blocks extensively to try out structures, and once I’ve got something I like, I start filling in the rest/recording proper takes. my limited time using the arranger in S1 seemed much clunkier, but admittedly, I haven’t explored all it has to offer.

Creativemind

27 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
27 Sep 2019
(Sorry for all the words. I got a bit carried away...)

If you were to chose a DAW purely on the basis of the built-in instruments I think Studio One would be some way down the league table - it only has 5 instruments. Between them they have everything you need to make music but the two you mentioned are the stand out ones. The others are OK. I use them very much like I use ID8 in Reason - to rough out a song with the intention of replacing the sounds once I have the basic song structure in place. But VST instruments are easy to come by so you can tailor your sonic armoury to match your genre/needs. The built-in effects, on the other hand, are top notch: multiband dynamics, great EQ, decent reverbs etc.

Studio One initially won me over with the chord track, the arranger track and the marker track - brilliant tools that just work as you expect them to. And that philosophy runs throughout the software so it continues to win me over further. I rarely have to run to the manual or to YouTube to find out how to do stuff - usually a right-click gives you the options you are looking for.

Of course, it's not perfect. Nothing ever is. The console view can get confusing with all the various display options and there have been a couple of times when I've had to hunt around to find out how to display controls that I have previously seen there but lost because I accidentally switched to "narrow view" or similar.

The most recent head-scratcher was when I wanted to convert an audio track from stereo to mono. I expected that to be in the right-click Audio menu but you have to switch the track switch to mono then bounce it in place. It's not a biggie but it did need Google because I'd never even noticed that mono switch! Now that I know how to do it I have a macro on the toolbar to do it for me, even attenuating the stereo track a little to make the bounced mono version the same volume. The macros are powerful but not well documented so that macro required a little help from a chap on the official forum.

But these are exceptions to the rule. I mostly don't get slowed down by user interface limitations or by having to hunt around for the function I want, which is something I do end up doing with Reason.

If you do go for it I have some tips:

1. A small thing but Presonus refer to clips as events. So a bar or two of midi or audio is one "event" rather than the more typical "clip" that contains events. That little piece of knowledge really helps make sense of other tips and advice!

2. Click on the little question mark on the top tool bar. That enables a sort of "tool tips" bar that will display useful info about whatever is under your mouse cursor. It's a great way to find out lots of the shortcuts and mouse actions. For example, hovering over the ruler tells you it's name and all of the mouse and key actions to move, zoom, start/stop and set the loop ends.

3. If you decide to go for it, before you start up that subscription again check the crossgrade offer I posted on this forum earlier. It may well be cheaper than the remaining rent-to-buy payments (although you would have to stump up the cash in one lump).

So my summary would be that S1 is at the grown-up end of the DAW world. It doesn't have the visual appeal of Reason or Live but it more than makes up for that by just being a productive, no-fuss experience which always seems to offer you exactly the functions you need right where you need them. And when you dig deeper it has some really cool stuff like FX chains: www.soundonsound.com/techniques/studio- ... -fx-chains

If I had a Mac I'd probably be using Logic but in PC-land Studio One is definitely the best DAW for me (suppleme3nted, of course, by Reason).
Thanks for the tips.

Yeah I do remember now you mention it there not being many instruments in Studio One a few months ago. I put it down to me not knowing the daw yet and must have been missing something. I also recall the main synth not having many (or if it did they were scarce) decent patches in it and decent patches can ispire a whole song sometimes. It didn't wow me at all, it was like a free vst from vstplanet.

The effects do sound intriguing though and I did see a video of Chord Track yesterday and it reminded me of Chord Assistant from Cubase. If it is like that, that would be superb.

So what's the automation like?
Does it have cloned / linked / mimic'd clips?
Does it have time markers?
Does it have undo history?
Does it have midi chase / truncated notes?

Sorry for the 20 questions lol! I suppose the proofs in the pudding and I should try it again.

I have some vst synths (Korg M1, Korg Arp Odyssey, Repro 1 & 5, TAL Noisemaker, Tyrell N9, SQ-8L, Air Hybrid 2, Air Xpand2, Air Loom 2, Air Vacuum Pro and obviously Europa by Reason) so I would have a bit to play with.

The visual appeal didn't grab either yeah you're right so dunno. The best looking sequencer for me are close call between Logic and FL Studio, closely followed by Reaper then Reason I'd say.

It's frustrating that Reason just doesn't have some necessary features and is seriously lagging behind else I wouldn't be considering a daw switch. I've been using Reason for 7yrs now and it's a very inspiring daw, just sparks your creativity easily but feature-wise they're just dragging their feet with it. It'll be Reason 12.5 at this rate before it gets to where I'd like it.

I have Reaper and starting to get into it a bit but no GUI on any of it's devices is a big let down but a very powerful daw.

BartBackowitz

27 Sep 2019

I have studio one open right now as I do my session work in it. It's never been a great app for me when it comes to writing music but I love it for editing. I like the stability and fast creation in Reason a lot more than Studio One when it comes to making my own music. When it comes to recording on someone else's, I use Studio One for that. I am on V4 and will probably not upgrade to a new version since I just use it for tracking and editing.

WongoTheSane

27 Sep 2019

Creativemind wrote:
27 Sep 2019
So what's the automation like?
Does it have cloned / linked / mimic'd clips?
Does it have time markers?
Does it have undo history?
Does it have midi chase / truncated notes?
Automation is a dream: curves, or draw primitive shapes (saw, sine...) at set resolution, then transform if you wish (can't explain, search "transform automation studio one" to see it in action), you can either show automation lanes one by one or none or all together, they're always grouped with the track they belong to, unfold in 1 click, automate anything, etc.
Yes
Yes (and a more advanced version of that, the arranger track, which is a mix between time markers and blocks mode, if you will)
Yes
Yes
Reading your OP, I was struck by the fact that S1 has almost everything from the list of missing stuff you've posted here on several occasions... Also, macros, which you can program yourself or download from the user library, customisable macros bars, redefinable shortcuts, track freeze, scalable UI, video support, pattern sequencer, drum sequencer, chord track, folders, midi comping, punch in/out both audio and midi, autosave, export as mp3 (among others), theme editor, type values everywhere, solo safe, a scratch pad which is a duplicate of the song where you can try out different things without altering the song... I agree the few synths provided with it aren't top notch (the effects are) (and the drum machine is better than Kong imho) but it's obvious they're provided as placeholders as you're supposed to work with VSTs anyway, and they'd rather work on the sequencer and the mixer, which are fantastic. When the Rack Plugin will have MIDI out and host VSTs, it'll be a match made in heaven.

QVprod

27 Sep 2019

Only downside is stock instruments. But Reason Rack plugin would fix that if you don't have any other VSTs. I bought Studio One specifically for audio tasks and VSTs back before Reason had VST support. I prefer it for making any music that is intended to have a live instrument sound.

Creativemind

28 Sep 2019

Yes. Only woke up 30 mins ago. Been sending a couple of text replies and FB replies whilst lying in bed. Now it's time jump in the shower, have breakfast and unfreeze S1 and download that 11 demo but actually could just rewire 10.4 eh. With no midi out for the Reason Rack it's a real pain working with the Dr.Octo.Rex.

Does it have sequencer comping? think I know the answer but though I'd ask. That list above is insane lol!

The things I want the most are a decent powerful midi editor - all that Reason has since 11 + midi chase, joining notes and bonus would be paint in / type in chords + easy to use. Midi comping would be a double bonus and dump to midi like FL has (capture last recording in Logic) a triple bonus.

More advanced audio editing with comping preferably in the sequencer as I'm a guitarist. It's how easy the tidying up the guitar is with audio transients etc as well. Reason seems to be the easiest so far out of Reason, Reaper and FL doesn't have it surprisingly. Logic probably is great but not used it for that though I have used it. Let's see how good Studio One is today.

Then it's just all I've mentioned above which S1 seems to have so it's a choice between Reaper and Studio One with Rewire or Rack VST now. Gonna try getting a song down today on my guitar on both see which is best.

Studio One could make a packet releasing Impact XT and Sample One XT as VST's.

Creativemind

28 Sep 2019

Been getting to grips with Studio One this afternoon and tonight.

It's very good. Sample One XT is and the effects are fantastic. The amp (Ampire) is amazing with 8 stomp boxes (Wah Wah, Tube Drive, EQ, Modulation, Pan, Tremelo, Delay & Reverb.) Just been playing it for a couple of hours. Blown me away.

Had a little play with the automation in it, decent.

Haven't managed to do much else as yet.

Does anyone know if the updates are free?

boingy

29 Sep 2019

Updates are free until the next major release. No idea where they are in their product cycle so maybe V5 drops next week or maybe we have another year of updates. They are not shy of packing shedloads of improvements and fixes into each update, even the free point releases.

AFAIK the only DAW with free updates for life is FL Studio. I can't help but think they may regret that tactic a few years down the line unless they are planning to make all their money from in-app purchases.

I've not really used Ampire because I have several of the big name guitar amp plugins as VST. I'll fire it up and have a play.

EdGrip

29 Sep 2019

You mean a few years down the line from the 22 years they've been doing it so far? Like, 25 years maybe? ;)

WongoTheSane

29 Sep 2019

There's a 10 years anniversary sale at Presonus right now, you can get crossgrades at 30% off, which means that if you're a Reason user, you get Studio One at 200 bucks (400 originally, minus 100 for the crossgrade, minus a third for the promo).

https://blog.presonus.com/index.php/201 ... tudio-one/

guitfnky

29 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
29 Sep 2019
AFAIK the only DAW with free updates for life is FL Studio.
also Cakewalk by Bandlab (but the DAW itself is free).

looks like they also make some significant updates pretty regularly. here’s all the stuff they’re working on for the next update: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... ly-access/

boingy

29 Sep 2019

WongoTheSane wrote:
29 Sep 2019
There's a 10 years anniversary sale at Presonus right now, you can get crossgrades at 30% off, which means that if you're a Reason user, you get Studio One at 200 bucks (400 originally, minus 100 for the crossgrade, minus a third for the promo).

https://blog.presonus.com/index.php/201 ... tudio-one/
JRR will knock another 15% off that for a total of $170 here:

https://www.jrrshop.com/presonus-studio ... crossgrade

(the discount comes off when you add it to the cart).

Ixus

29 Sep 2019

Looks like you can get upgrade for 84 dollars at JRR ... seems pretty sweet dude, i have professional 3.5 and have been thinking about upgrading.

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

Use the code "GROUP" @ JRRSHOP for the Studio One Crossgrade from any DAW for an additional discount, dropping the price to $167.16. Check out this REFRESHING blurb:

PreSonus® is now shipping Studio One® 4.5, a major update to its powerful yet easy-to-use recording and production software. With more than 70 new features and improvements, this free update for Studio One 4 users adds several of the most requested features from the Studio One user community and adds advanced tools that streamline professional audio and MIDI production workflows.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Creativemind

30 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Updates are free until the next major release. No idea where they are in their product cycle so maybe V5 drops next week or maybe we have another year of updates. They are not shy of packing shedloads of improvements and fixes into each update, even the free point releases.

AFAIK the only DAW with free updates for life is FL Studio. I can't help but think they may regret that tactic a few years down the line unless they are planning to make all their money from in-app purchases.

I've not really used Ampire because I have several of the big name guitar amp plugins as VST. I'll fire it up and have a play.
Ampire is fantastic but if you have Guitar Rig or Amplitube then you're already sorted.

Yeah FL is lifetime free updates but isn't Logic the same too? I've definitely heard of another daw doing this I'm sure I have.

Continuing my rent-to-own method (which seems silly after looking at how much you can save with that crossgrade offer) but was wondering how rent-to-own works if another version like 5 comes out while you're renting? Will I only get the version I started renting on if an update arrives I wonder.

sublunar

30 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
29 Sep 2019
Use the code "GROUP" @ JRRSHOP for the Studio One Crossgrade from any DAW for an additional discount, dropping the price to $167.16.
Stupid question, what qualifies as a corssgrade? I've never tried this before with software so maybe it's a universally acknowledged term that I should know but don't. I'd totally buy this today at that price over buying Reason 11 at this point. You just tell them you own Reason and they're like "Ok here's your discount"?
Last edited by sublunar on 30 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

From their site:

If you own an existing DAW but would like to switch over to the most intuitive recording software on the planet, the Studio One Crossgrade was created just for you. All you need to do is provide proof of ownership for the other DAW, such as original purchase receipt, UPC code (bar code on the outside of the box), or screenshot of your user account with the other DAW showing the software registered to your name. Electronic receipts are acceptable.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

sublunar

30 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
30 Sep 2019
From their site:

If you own an existing DAW but would like to switch over to the most intuitive recording software on the planet, the Studio One Crossgrade was created just for you. All you need to do is provide proof of ownership for the other DAW, such as original purchase receipt, UPC code (bar code on the outside of the box), or screenshot of your user account with the other DAW showing the software registered to your name. Electronic receipts are acceptable.
I CTRL + F'd their site to find an explanation and was missing it. Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna have to buy this.

EdGrip

30 Sep 2019

Again, they don't really care if you own another DAW. They just know people need an incentive to buy a 2nd one - sunk costs and all that.

danc

30 Sep 2019

sublunar wrote:
30 Sep 2019
hurricane wrote:
30 Sep 2019
From their site:

I CTRL + F'd their site to find an explanation and was missing it. Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna have to buy this.

I've been considering over the last few months about exploring the other DAWS out there (not to replace REASON - as I love the 'creative'/'fun' side of REASON. But I wanted something much more professional, to sit alongside it)... to allow me to arrange tracks in a professional, sensible, well-managed way. I looked at pretty much everything out there and landed on STUDIO ONE.

So for me the biggest PRO about STUDIO ONE is that it just feels solid and professional. Like I'm getting down to business. Just check out FOLDERS within FOLDERS and routing each one to a bus. Seriously solid and well-thought out.

And.. I have 3-screens. IN REASON you run out of real-estate really quick (A - sequencer, B - rack, C - mixer). With S-ONE you only need 2 to do pretty much the same thing and you never feel like things get out of hand. REASON is like an excited child in comparison... splashing paint everywhere and making a complete mess. Fun... but can be tiresome to keep under control.

Anyway... I ran the STUDIO ONE demo for a number of days - totally fell for it - it's totally intuitive (which is a major PRO for it). It's rock solid. The CPU management is so mature compared to a single meter that you have no control over. And... every song you create has a well-organised folder, with everything you do put into sensible folders inside it. REASON you so need to copy that function.

So - I bought the cross-grade from JRR today for... um... £141. It was that or upgrade to R11 for a 6 measly extra functions - which every other DAW had years ago. And no in answer to the question... I didn't need to prove that I have REASON when crossgrading to S-ONE. No-one asked - I simply bought and activated. So, it seems to be done on trust.

I wont leave REASON. Just need some adult time, as well playing with the child (and that isn't insulting REASON - just knowing where it stands helps you in your productivity).

I was so close to buying BITWIG, but I've already got one child!! It's a genius child. But not sensible, well-managed like S-ONE. Sometimes you need stability.
Check my Soundcloud:

• Information