Reason 12 Wishlist

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
owlymane

26 Aug 2019

I - - Overall GUI Update:
1. Improve Browser (Sample preview player, better and flexible browser management, copy, rename, multi-select)
2. Scalable HQ Rack
3. Improved Mixer GUI & Mixer Themes
4. Text Input for Values (Be able to write down the values for the devices)
5. Sequencer GUI update (including the piano roll, bottom play/stop/tempo etc...bar, and also those midi boxes)
6. Update old instruments including the NNXT-rex...c'mon...
7. Be able to see Rack/Mixer/Sequencer side-by-side besides one on top of the other. We can see shit better! (No need to double-click on the bar to open sections, one click on the bar is enough to switch views)

II - - Sequencer
1. Upgrade and Improve Midi Editing tools (don't make us add a note/notes in a mode and remove a note/notes in another mode, c'mon, we need workflow, speed. FL Studio left click=add/ right-click= remove note, get inspired!)
2. Improve Audio sample manipulation and Time Warp/Sync, Tempo Detection
3. Drag/Drop Audio Samples directly from browser to the device in the sequencer
4. Make it possible to edit several midi boxes at the same time.
5. More Audio and Midi Tools (don't make me list them, they're all over the place and other DAWs)
6. Track Folders and better channel organization
7. Display a tracker that shows whether the sequencer is in "Follow Song" Mode or not

III - Rack
1. Improve Rack Cabling:
A. Make it faster as you scroll for the love of GOD! It's hell when you have a huge stack of instruments. I'm using Windows. Maybe MAC users don't face this issue.
B. Make a way to better locate where the device we want to cable to, is located (coloring system from device A to device B, perhaps by selecting both of them, then flipping the rack)

IV - Key commands
1. Never enough of them, give us more.
2. Play keys and beats on laptop keyboard. Plays what's selected in the sequencer channel, or what's selected in the rack, instantly
3. Give us better key commands for editing tools. Something faster than the pencil, eraser tools etc...
4. Custom Key commands for Windows Please? Also Trackpad zoom and Side-Scroll on Windows? Please?

V - VST3 and more audio format compatibility
1. Export to mp3/to soundcloud like Studio One
2. Accept FLAC format as audio samples and other audio formats
3. VST3

VI - Live
1. Play live in Reason
2. Make a Reason Hardware Controller that is able to fluidly and efficiently control everything inside Reason, without even looking at Reason.

VII - Video Editing
Last edited by owlymane on 29 Aug 2019, edited 6 times in total.

zoidkirb

26 Aug 2019

A fine list . I predict HD/GUI update now will be most users and also Reason Studios top priority now.
Probably track folders might make it into a point upgrade hopefully. Midi out of players in the new rack vst and midi out of vst's in Reason DAW I think will be also highly requested and plausible for RS to implement in the next few years.
Last edited by zoidkirb on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

reggie1979

26 Aug 2019

Lol to the "reason 12 wishlist"

But hey, I'm fine at 10.4.

boingy

27 Aug 2019

joeyluck wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Why not a R11 point update wishlist?
I agree. We should be campaigning for a lot of that stuff to be in free R11 updates over the next couple of years. There have already been some hints that they are looking at the graphics resolution stuff.

BananaSkins

27 Aug 2019

Why not Reason 13 Wishlist :lol: :lol: :lol:

Creativemind

27 Aug 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
27 Aug 2019
You nicked my joke lol!

I guess I'm gonna start a Reason 14 wishlist...starting with Mastering Mode.

Click a button and Reason changes to a Mastering Mode (and has a cool mastering theme and title at the top) with markers that you can place at the end of each track (2 seconds after if you wish) and then you can stack your bounced songs on an individual tracks with your markers at the end and play track one and it'll reach marker 1 on track 1then automatically go to track 2 etc.

A vectorscope / gonometer on the master section.

You can save mastering plug-ins in a Mastering section in the browser for quick access. There's also a/b switches on each track. Lol!

Automatic upload to SoundCloud / Ditto etc

I joke of course. We need bounce to mono first lol!
Last edited by Creativemind on 07 May 2020, edited 1 time in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

owlymane

27 Aug 2019

joeyluck wrote:
26 Aug 2019
The earlier the better! This is a wishlist of what to expect in 12.

KGB

27 Aug 2019

Damn we have to wait until at least the end of 2020 for R12..think about that 😑

Boombastix
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2019

Why not a Presonus type wish list that gets voted on, so we don't have to have a gazillion lists that PH/RS might ignore anyhow… Sure Presonus run their own list, and since RS/PH decided to not run their own interaction, maybe RT can lure them in to ONE list that we know they actually look at. Now it is tooo many lists and RS/PH communicate like mussels, so we have no clue if they look/care/or even saw it... (mussels keep their mouths closed most of the time by them way :lol:)

And then perhaps we can get a little feedback once in a while, in a organized form, that they put it on their to do list - maybe this is the trick to start getting 40 feature updates per increment like Presonus. Organize - focus - execute… bam done - next… Item on list is ticked off - nice...

Swedes have a habit to discuss things to deaths, can't get anything done until consensus, and having endless meetings. If a product manager just drops a list to the coders, this is what you need to get done by Friday, not sit in meetings discussing features, or trying out new interesting/goofy code to see what might happen, then stuff may start to happen faster - it can be as easy as a culture shift. Coders need to be in the zone - not interrupted by someone's birthday cake or another persons phone ringing. I've seen this in companies, and you can turn those habits around quickly with a very clear top down focus. I don't know if this is part of RS/PH's dilemma, but it is not uncommon.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Yonatan

01 Sep 2019

What major things would be good when looking at Reason as a somewhat creative spark box?

Some want scoring editor...
well, I dont think that is on top of the list. Because one can copy the midi etc to another DAW or software which handle that.

Video editor?
This one seems much more like a "wow, great" add. But until the RS team is up to level with adding new workflow improvments much faster, I would also argue that this is a thing that the Rack as a plugin, temporarily answers...

What I would like to see is rather bringing the audio/midi and mixer adds that enhance workflow and creativity. Handling many tracks in the mixer/sequencer is crucially needed to get better (hiding tracks, group folders etc), bringing sequencer to be more capable as a creative flow with possible chosing of scales, chords... and some form of Markers that could also make the Blocks as a live clip funktion.
Punch in recording off course, because it is well needed and should have been in Record from start. Sometimes I would also like to have alternative to comp Edit right at the fron in the sequencer view, chosing comp edit there as an option or call it virtual takes where it is like foldable alternative takes right under the main track.
Bring the slice sensitivity slider from ReCycle into the slice edit mode.
Make the best Unity and creative workflow possible as priority. Things for songwriters and their experimenting with arrangements, also as instant live flow.

One day later maybe even the Sequencer etc that now is in the stand alone, could make its way to be used as plugin parallells with other softwares. Then one can choose how much of Reason one want to use with another DAW and better replace the ReWire.

Nocturn789

05 Sep 2019

Reason 11.1, 11.5, 12... whatever

1. Add a Session View (Having to use Ableton via Rewire for this is a pain in the ***)
2. Remote Scripts in PYTHON for **** sake!! Lua sucks
:reason: v10.4
:recycle: :re:
Windows 10 Pro x64, Intel i7-7700K, 32GB RAM, Scarlett 4i4 3rd Gen
Behringer X-Touch, Nektar Impakt LX61, Livid DS1, Novation LaunchPad Mini
Pioneer DJM-900NXS2, 2x Pioneer CDJ-2000NXS2, Korg Kaoss Pad 3

guitfnky

05 Sep 2019

I'd just like to ask everyone to take a minute to send these requests directly to Props/Reason Studios. If you've already written up a post with your features, just copy, go to the link below, and paste it in. or, if you haven't written a post, but agree with someone else's list, you can paste theirs in.

it takes less than a minute, and you won't have to wonder whether they know it's something people want anymore.

https://www.propellerheads.com/contact/feedback

please do this! it's the best way to let them know what we want.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

scratchnsnifff

05 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
26 Aug 2019
When you look at an update by the merits of its entire lifecycle. Each and every update is absolutely worth the 129 imo

The only mehhh update that was boring was 8

And I was lucky from going from 5-8
So I got a ton of new stuff plus RE kept me mad busy

Since then. Each point update has made it better and better. Mainly because of the RE SDK keeps it all exciting during the middle of the update cycle when nothing is released.
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

chimp_spanner

06 Sep 2019

Well, I can take a few things off the list at least! My wishlist is actually very small. Here are the absolute essentials for me:

Mixer

* Dark theme
* Channel visibility options

Sequencer

* Folder tracks (nestable, so folders inside of folders)
* Audio algorithm selection for stretching on info bar, including "Tape" mode (lower speed = lower pitch)

Note Editor

* Note echo/preview on selection/nudging with arrow keys

Slice Edit

* Hitpoint detection settings

VST

* Multiple MIDI channels

General

* Custom install locations
* Ability to hide/manage REs
* Search and sort REs by device category, not just developer
* Multiple MIDI clock destinations
* Auto sort order between rack/seq/mixer view

Honestly that's about it for me.

zumBeispiel

06 Sep 2019

VST midi out

hurricane
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2019

Just seems like making these requests is a waste of time. I give up.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

06 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
06 Sep 2019
I wouldn't stop. I feel like for every version of Reason, I can remember many people making requests for those exact features. Here are just some examples for R11:

Reason Rack as a VST

Automation Curves

Audio Crossfades

Up/Down Octave shortcut

Muting Notes

Individual/vertical track zoom

Show played and selected notes in piano roll

And folks have been asking for the Master Bus Compressor and other mixer elements to be available in the Rack forever. And people have wanted updated devices and the ability to draw multiple notes.

All of these types of requests above are peppered everywhere.

dezma

17 Sep 2019

I'll copy paste from my other response

AUTOSAVE > face it, VST's make reason less stable, and I've lost several hours of work since introduction because of crashes
previewing wav/REX files in browser IN SYNC with the playing track/loop
a missing samples search that actually works
midi out/thru for VST, preferably patchable in the rack
sample drag n drop from browser to VST
working automation for all VST (avenger needs a combinator to be automated because of the number of parameters the synth has)
folders in sequencer
( updated automation process and curved automation ) > done

Then we can talk cosmetics such as GUI or updates or new stuff

Additionally after having worked with presonus studio one (which features all of the above btw):
[*]Export directly to MP3
[*]Customizable macro's and adjustable key bindings
[*]Piano roll that is not crap

I always knew it was crap but never could explain why, but now working with studio one made me realize it's how on the same quantize settings things are so much easier in Studio one. Studio one has lettering on 1.2 AND makes it a bigger vertical line making the whole things much more readible.

guitfnky

17 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
06 Sep 2019
have you made requests with them directly?

https://www.propellerheads.com/contact/feedback
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

17 Sep 2019

Boombastix wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Why not a Presonus type wish list that gets voted on, so we don't have to have a gazillion lists that PH/RS might ignore anyhow… Sure Presonus run their own list, and since RS/PH decided to not run their own interaction, maybe RT can lure them in to ONE list that we know they actually look at. Now it is tooo many lists and RS/PH communicate like mussels, so we have no clue if they look/care/or even saw it... (mussels keep their mouths closed most of the time by them way :lol:)

And then perhaps we can get a little feedback once in a while, in a organized form, that they put it on their to do list - maybe this is the trick to start getting 40 feature updates per increment like Presonus. Organize - focus - execute… bam done - next… Item on list is ticked off - nice...
That sounds a brilliant idea but what's annoying to me though, I've wondered before what deems a feature more worthy than another? seems no logic to it. Well there is, seems it's the most requested (but apart from people who obviously message them direct who else are requesting things apart from themselves? case in point - never heard once anyone request that adaptive grid thing?)

So if they get requested more colours more times than say track folders, seems more colours will get implemented but as much as I want more colours, track folders seems more important. Like moving a note or notes up / down an octave with a shortcut (I definitely wanted this) but things like that should just be thrown in anyway, things like midi chase and midi comping are far more important considering you could already move a note or notes up an octave just in a more long winded way.

Dunno why they don't fully complete things too. Why are the browsers still not sync'd, why no refresh button on folders in the browsers, why no waveform display with brackets and better searching with tags and branches? the browsers were introduced n Reason 8. It's like they dump that thing and never revisit it.

Can anyone answer as well, didn't the patches use to play when you clicked them in a patch folder like Dr.Octo.Rex files do or have I dreamt this?

Themes still can't affect the mixer / menu's and still need to restart Reason to apply and not at least 1 more been added in 3 years? Something doesn't add up to me.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

boingy

17 Sep 2019

On the Beta testing forum (hosted on the PH domain) the posts have up-vote and down-vote buttons. It would be a doddle for them to create a feature request forum and let us vote. They could even make the posts read-only so riff raff like us could not spam the same requests over and over. The forum login is tied to your PH account so it would not be easy for folks to skew the result by using many different logins. If only there was a way for me to request a request forum...

PitW.

27 Sep 2019

My wishes (additional to some of the ones already mentioned from other users):
  • More Markers (in Cubase I used to set Markers for Intro/Verse1/Bridge.... and could just jump wherever I needed to by Shortcut)
  • Midi Sync out for more than one Midi Output (Why is this limited to one output?)

STIM

27 Sep 2019

1. Scales & Chords functionality built into the piano roll. So I can select my Key and it would highlight keys available to me. This should also work in blocks mode, with each block having it's own selectable key.

2. Zoom-able or scale-able UI so I can see what I'm doing.

3. A new version of ReCycle built into the sequencer. Sort of a clip launcher but with the greater control that Rex loops bring.

selig
RE Developer

27 Sep 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Practically speaking, this is more like a "Reason 20" wishlist.
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information