The Legend or VK-2 Viking

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
anko

27 Sep 2019

hi there, i want to get a new RE analog modelling synth to muck about with and i'm thinking to get either Synapse The Legend or Blamsoft VK-2 Viking.

yes i know it's a bit apples to oranges but i'd be interested if anyone has anything to say that might help me decide. i'm leaning slightly toward The Legend, but i have enough power for the vk2 (i have the vk1)...

thoughts / input anyone? tia for any reply. ;)

FLVZ

27 Sep 2019

Here are a couple of threads that have some discussions on these two powerhouse synths it comes down to preferred workflow. You should trial them for a real world flavour, these discussions are mostly subjective:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7504074&p=362958&hi ... nd#p362958

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7502627&hilit=vk2+legend

anko

27 Sep 2019

@Flavolous thanks for the links. didn't find those threads for some reason. ;)

i may well end up eventually getting the one i don't pick now, just interested to see what others think about these 2.

antic604

27 Sep 2019

Wait for Black Friday and get both :)

Vk-2 is much more versatile, but Legend is much easier to program.
Also Vk-2 is more CPU heavy, so consider that if you have a weak computer.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Wait for Black Friday and get both :)

Vk-2 is much more versatile, but Legend is much easier to program.
Also Vk-2 is more CPU heavy, so consider that if you have a weak computer.
Two Black Fridays ago VK-2 was on sale for €29.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

miscend

27 Sep 2019

Get both! I prefer the sound of the Legend but VK-2 is more powerful and versatile.

Also VK-1 VST is free
https://blamsoft.com/vst/vk-1-viking-synthesizer/

EdGrip

27 Sep 2019

I trialed both against each other, and recommend you do the same - it is fuuuuun apart from anything else!

You can replicate Legend patches pretty well in VK-2 but often not possible in the other direction.
As miscend says, VK-2 is the more versatile of the two but Legend is more immediate to just dive in.

For simple (especially bass) patches - especially factory patches - Legend probably has the sound quality edge. It just seems to gravitate towards being hefty a bit more easily.

But! The audio-rate modulation possibilities in VK-2 and all the ins and outs mean it can go very deep - you can use more than one all wired together in any way you can think of.

I bought VK-2 - but as you say, it's not ridiculous to have both. And Repro. ;)

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

I recreated patches with VK-2 from Legend and no one could tell the difference :D

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

If you’re going to get Legend then wait until Black Friday and buy the Synapse bundle. You’ll get all the Synapse REs for pretty much the same price as just buying The Legend.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

anko

27 Sep 2019

ha ha "get both" is a popular answer. surprise! (not) :lol: i probably will end up with both...

i have trialled both and probably have a bit more fun with the legend. and i love that legend is such a classic. that said i most likely have not spent enough time messing with vk2 to anywhere near touch on it's depths. wait til black friday is a nice idea, and is very sensible, but where is that thing called patience... :oops:

@MrFigg re synapse bundle, also sensible but i have quite a few synapse bits and pieces, excepts for the standalone filter, compressor, phaser and a couple others.

probably i will end up getting legend for 1/2 price (with an otherwise useless to me rewards voucher) and wating til black friday for vk2... unless i can be brave and strong and sit on my hands til then to get both. :)

anko

27 Sep 2019

btw:
miscend wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Also VK-1 VST is free
i didn't know that, thanks! i grabbed it, although i have vk1 RE and if i upgrade to 11 i guess i can use it in the rack vst (albeit as vst3 only).

MannequinRaces

27 Sep 2019

Just wanted to chime in that I freaking love The Legend. One of my favorites REs! I think it sounds warmer than VK-2 but that’s probably just me. I’d like to hear Aeox’s examples!

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Just wanted to chime in that I freaking love The Legend. One of my favorites REs! I think it sounds warmer than VK-2 but that’s probably just me. I’d like to hear Aeox’s examples!
You know, I really think it's a combination of 3 things that draw people towards Legend.

First, it's a very inviting clean GUI/layout. We all know this gives us a perception of better sound ;)

Second, the range on the parameters like the filter, ADSR, etc. are different than VK-2(Obviously a different synth, but follow for a second). For example, if I turn the filter cutoff all the way down on Legend with a decay env. and do the same with VK-2, it's a completely different sound. Sounds much "better" on Legend just by doing that, until you decrease the env amount on vk-2 and increase filter cutoff a bit, then it sounds identical! It's things like that, which make me believe that people find Legend easier to get sounds they like right away with minimal effort.

Third, the effects... or at least the reverb is way higher quality in Legend. Synapse made DR-1.. so I'm not surprised here, best sounding reverb I've ever used PERIOD.

Example! Of course they aren't 100% identical, but I've gotta go to work soon :P No effects or processing of any kind. I should've increased the release times a bit on both synths to get rid of the clicking, oh well.

I mean, can you really tell? Or even care at this point? They both sound good :D

MannequinRaces

28 Sep 2019

aeox wrote:
27 Sep 2019
MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Sep 2019
You know, I really think it's a combination of 3 things that draw people towards Legend.

First, it's a very inviting clean GUI/layout. We all know this gives us a perception of better sound ;)

Second, the range on the parameters like the filter, ADSR, etc. are different than VK-2(Obviously a different synth, but follow for a second). For example, if I turn the filter cutoff all the way down on Legend with a decay env. and do the same with VK-2, it's a completely different sound. Sounds much "better" on Legend just by doing that, until you decrease the env amount on vk-2 and increase filter cutoff a bit, then it sounds identical! It's things like that, which make me believe that people find Legend easier to get sounds they like right away with minimal effort.

Third, the effects... or at least the reverb is way higher quality in Legend. Synapse made DR-1.. so I'm not surprised here, best sounding reverb I've ever used PERIOD.

Example! Of course they aren't 100% identical, but I've gotta go to work soon :P No effects or processing of any kind. I should've increased the release times a bit on both synths to get rid of the clicking, oh well.

I mean, can you really tell? Or even care at this point? They both sound good :D
Nice job Aeox! There's a really slight almost indiscernible difference but in a mix, no freaking way you could tell the difference. Another reason why people might be drawn to Legend more is the presets. I remember I didn't like VK-2's as much. What sold me on Legend was a video comparison of Legend and Minimoog and you couldn't tell a difference between them sound wise. I'm not crazy about the effects on the back but when I heard that I could basically have a Minimoog in my Rack that sounded just like the real thing my brain exploded and I was sold. Then... I patiently waited for a sale, haha.

EdGrip

28 Sep 2019

You mentioned the Synapse filter RE. Another thing to remember - bonus! - is that both VK-2 and Legend have audio-in sockets that give you access to their filters as an effect. And they are VERY GOOD filters. In my testing I found the filters were the point where it was easiest to hear a difference between the two, but very much "not better just different" stuff - the stereo output from VK-2's filter module is lovely!

RE aeox's example - I'm guessing the more bassy/subby synth is Legend. It's the synth that plays first. I could easily be wrong - it's probably just a matter of fine-tuning filter Res and envelope. But that's what I mean when I said Legend is more hefty more easily - subby bass.

VK-2 is only hungry on poly patches, or if you turn all the quality switches up. On most presets I honestly cannot tell any difference with those switches, so just leave 'em set to low. Switch them all to max when you export if you like, or don't - nobody will ever know. Legend isn't hungry at all really - it's remarkable given the sound.
Last edited by EdGrip on 28 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
28 Sep 2019

Nice job Aeox! There's a really slight almost indiscernible difference but in a mix, no freaking way you could tell the difference. Another reason why people might be drawn to Legend more is the presets. I remember I didn't like VK-2's as much. What sold me on Legend was a video comparison of Legend and Minimoog and you couldn't tell a difference between them sound wise. I'm not crazy about the effects on the back but when I heard that I could basically have a Minimoog in my Rack that sounded just like the real thing my brain exploded and I was sold. Then... I patiently waited for a sale, haha.
The presets were something I mentioned in a thread a while ago. I agree on that!

manisnotabird

29 Sep 2019

miscend wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Get both! I prefer the sound of the Legend but VK-2 is more powerful and versatile.

Also VK-1 VST is free
This is my view as well!

FLVZ

29 Sep 2019

aeox wrote:
27 Sep 2019

Both sound great, I'm going to guess the 2nd one is VK2 ? The mids of the second are more prominent? Also theres more bottom on every other occasion

I think the bottom line is if you're into sound design and making patches you'll probably choose VK2 and spend time learning its powers. If you want to hit the ground running then choose Legend. either way you're not really losing out because they are both that good!

raymondh

29 Sep 2019

They are definitely both amazing synths!

I wasn't too impressed with VK-1 when it came out. I still bought it though :) VK-2 really should have been called something else, because it was a huge leap from VK-1, sounded much much better. The filter is almost liquidy :) Superb synth.

I tend to go-to The Legend more often, due to ease of programming and a lower DSP demand. A single sawtooth oscillator, with a (fairly) wide open filter, put through unison mode on The Legend, put through an Echobode dream delay, makes the most amazing searing lead :)

I have a real Moog (Sirin). It sounds different of course but these virtual instruments do sound every bit as good.

tobypearce

02 Oct 2019

miscend wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Snap.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

VariableX

02 Oct 2019

I have both. Legend is deffo easier to program ( i really just tweak patches )
But, I always seem to reach for VK-2, to me it just has some kinda x factor quality, some kinda magic dust. It just sounds so good.

EdGrip

02 Oct 2019

VK-2's sound quality is top-level. And when you turn it around, it exemplifies everything that's great and unique about CV and the Reason Rack.

moneykube

02 Oct 2019

both... vk2 takes a tad more dsp... legend my favorite though
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Boombastix
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2019

I also have both. If I had to pick one it would be The Legend. It is so exact of an Mini Moog it is scary, but you can save patches, it stays in tune, you can bring it with you easily, it won't break, it is polyphonic, has built in FX, you can route audio through its filter, I can use several in a project, so for me it is better than hardware.
But I love both Blamsoft and Synapse - very solid devices from both. If you get the free VK-1, and find it useful, I would also pickup VK-2 later, just to show support, and when VK-2 is on sales, it is worth it just for the patches.

As mentioned before, if you can wait, look for the Synapse bundle on sale.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

seqoi

04 Oct 2019

I have both and i am picking VK-2 for range of sounds.

Legend is easy to program. VERY good.

VK-2 goey warm sound

• Information