Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

26 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Simply because the manuals are currently a bit outdated.
Those are screenshots from the Manual, which is for v11 that came out just yesterday.
I'm not sure there's any newer version for them to be "outdated" already...

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... Help-Files

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
26 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Simply because the manuals are currently a bit outdated.
Those are screenshots from the Manual, which is for v11 that came out just yesterday.
I'm not sure there's any newer version for them to be "outdated" already...

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... Help-Files
Outdated in the sense that, from what I've read in the forum, bits and pieces from new devices like Scenic are still missing.
But sure, let's discuss semantics now :roll:
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

antic604

26 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Outdated in the sense that, from what I've read in the forum, bits and pieces from new devices like Scenic are still missing. But sure, let's discuss semantics now :roll:
Outdated has a very clear, precise meaning - there's not much of symantics to discuss there. I'm not sure how "outdated" can mean "missing" becasue that's the case with Scenic that's a separate RE, so it's not part of Reason manual like Parsec or Complex-1 aren't.

You just couldn't be arsed to check for yourself.

Admit it and move on to other things, instead of continuing this stupid discussion.

guitfnky

26 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
26 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Outdated in the sense that, from what I've read in the forum, bits and pieces from new devices like Scenic are still missing. But sure, let's discuss semantics now :roll:
Outdated has a very clear, precise meaning - there's not much of symantics to discuss there. I'm not sure how "outdated" can mean "missing" becasue that's the case with Scenic that's a separate RE, so it's not part of Reason manual like Parsec or Complex-1 aren't.

Admit it and move on to other things, instead of continuing this stupid discussion.
you could’ve just answered the question without being snotty about it, and you know, *starting* this stupid discussion.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MrFigg
Competition Winner

26 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Sep 2019
antic604 wrote:
26 Sep 2019

you could’ve just answered the question without being snotty about it, and you know, *starting* this stupid discussion.
Was just about to write the same thing but you beat me too it. I don’t get why folk have to take a tone unnecessarily.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Ad0

26 Sep 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
25 Sep 2019

There's currently no MIDI out. It's something a lot of people have been asking for in the standalone (so they can use VST MIDI effects). So I imagine the day the standalone gets that, is the day the plugin gets it too. And then you could, presumably, choose the Rack as the MIDI input of a channel and record the output. Any kind of drag-and-drop functionality would require the Rack to have a sequencer timeline, which it doesn't. And any direct Pattern-to-Track functionality would require a level of integration with the host that goes beyond what I think plugins can actually achieve. Maybe a third way is some kind of paste MIDI to clipboard...thing? But I have no idea how that'd even work! So yeah for the foreseeable, no MIDI to track.
Plugins like Spectrasonics RMX have done midi pattern export drag / drop for > 10 years.
chimp_spanner wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Same on your second point. Multi-timbrality is something I, personally, would like in the standalone. But it'd require an overhaul of how sequencer tracks connect to devices. Currently it's automatic; every device comes with one sequencer track. What we'd need is the ability to create seq tracks *without* devices, and then a means to route them freely to devices in the rack, and a way to tell devices which channel and port they should respond to. You can, however, run multiple instances of the rack. There's no performance drop here that I've noticed. The only thing is that you miss out on modulation between different instruments/parts.
Most of the synths have Gate/CV in. MIDI inputs to the plugin can be 16 Gate/CV pairs (1 for each channel). Would be a no-brainer to implement.

WithTheTracks

26 Sep 2019

Hi,

I'm curious about something.

I bought Reason 10 on the 24th of this month...

So, I got a free upgrade to Reason 11.

However, I want the Suite. When I try to upgrade to Reason 11 Suite, it says this version is not available to my account.

Am I missing something here?
Created in FL Studio (From now on, Reason only. :puf_bigsmile: )

tiker01

26 Sep 2019

WithTheTracks wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Hi,

However, I want the Suite. When I try to upgrade to Reason 11 Suite, it says this version is not available to my account.

I would contact RS support. Unfortunately there was no way to preorder the suite version but the price going from Reason to Reason suite is the same no matter on which version you are.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

WithTheTracks

26 Sep 2019

tiker01 wrote:
26 Sep 2019
WithTheTracks wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Hi,

I would contact RS support. Unfortunately there was no way to preorder the suite version but the price going from Reason to Reason suite is the same no matter on which version you are.
I figured it out already.

This is the last message I wrote to Reason support, after a couple of other ones first.

"Ok, I figured it out.

When I go to the Upgrade to Suite 11 page, I noticed something..

Right before the page is fully loaded, the "Add to Cart" button shows, and immediately after, it says "not available to this account."

So now, I refreshed the page a couple of times, and hit stop while refreshing, and now that the button "Add to Cart" shows, it's added to my cart.

I use the Opera browser."

Edited to add: I can't apply my rewards voucher though.

I'm just trying of course, 'cause I tried a few times to upgrade earlier, didn't work, so I bought some totally different stuff, and now I need to wait before I can purchase it anyhow. Money, money, money. :puf_bigsmile:

But still...

WithTheTracks

26 Sep 2019

Ok, well...

I did a completely new install of Windows 10, and I still have the same problem.

I'll wait for support from Reason.

Molotovbeatz

27 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Molotovbeatz wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Hi,

Is R11 available for us to upgrade for free? I purchased R10 boxed licence few months ago.
Not likely. Once Reason 11 was announced back in 26 August, they gave a window for people who bought 10 to get a free upgrade to 11 for anytime after that. I don't recall it being 2 months before the announcement, but you can reach out to support and ask them.
Hey, I bought my copy of Reason box in January. I believe this means that I am entitled to get a free upgrade of R11?

EnochLight

27 Sep 2019

Molotovbeatz wrote:
27 Sep 2019
EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2019

Not likely. Once Reason 11 was announced back in 26 August, they gave a window for people who bought 10 to get a free upgrade to 11 for anytime after that. I don't recall it being 2 months before the announcement, but you can reach out to support and ask them.
Hey, I bought my copy of Reason box in January. I believe this means that I am entitled to get a free upgrade of R11?
Just as long as it was before January 1938, you should be fine.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

BananaSkins

27 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Molotovbeatz wrote:
27 Sep 2019

Just as long as it was before January 1938, you should be fine.

It's the good sense of humor on this forum that makes it stand out from other ones.
👏🏻😀 :thumbs_up: :lol:

tiker01

27 Sep 2019

WithTheTracks wrote:
26 Sep 2019
tiker01 wrote:
26 Sep 2019

I figured it out already.

This is the last message I wrote to Reason support, after a couple of other ones first.

"Ok, I figured it out.

When I go to the Upgrade to Suite 11 page, I noticed something..

Right before the page is fully loaded, the "Add to Cart" button shows, and immediately after, it says "not available to this account."

So now, I refreshed the page a couple of times, and hit stop while refreshing, and now that the button "Add to Cart" shows, it's added to my cart.

I use the Opera browser."

Edited to add: I can't apply my rewards voucher though.

I'm just trying of course, 'cause I tried a few times to upgrade earlier, didn't work, so I bought some totally different stuff, and now I need to wait before I can purchase it anyhow. Money, money, money. :puf_bigsmile:

But still...
I think technically you could return the Reason 11 upgrade you bought and buy the Reason Suite upgrade instead.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

flexluthor

27 Sep 2019

Does 11 support any new midi devices? It would be great if there was support for the key step and beatstep built in.

pquenin

27 Sep 2019

So, I have bought Reason 11 Intro, and I'm very happy. The "little" improvments in the sequencer make things really better for me.
But I also love the Reason Rack plugin, because each track of the DAW can have its own rack, it's more comfortable that this unique rack in the standalone version of Reason where things can become very confusing.
I have notice one thing that I think was not intended in the Intro version of Reason 11 : you have access to the Drum Supply and Loop Supply sounds in the Reason 11 Intro Rack plugin. They are not available in the standalone version.

MannequinRaces

27 Sep 2019

pquenin wrote:
27 Sep 2019
I have notice one thing that I think was not intended in the Intro version of Reason 11 : you have access to the Drum Supply and Loop Supply sounds in the Reason 11 Intro Rack plugin. They are not available in the standalone version.
Yes they are. Look under Manage Content.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

28 Sep 2019

WithTheTracks wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Hi,

I saw one of the Reason Studios guys answer this question elsewhere on the site. They recommended requesting a refund for Reason 10. After they process that refund then you can purchase the Reason Suite upgrade path at the reduced amount (as opposed to the full package).

WithTheTracks

28 Sep 2019

OverneathTheSkyBridg wrote:
28 Sep 2019
WithTheTracks wrote:
26 Sep 2019
Hi,

I saw one of the Reason Studios guys answer this question elsewhere on the site. They recommended requesting a refund for Reason 10. After they process that refund then you can purchase the Reason Suite upgrade path at the reduced amount (as opposed to the full package).
Ok, great.
Thanks.

pquenin

28 Sep 2019

MannequinRaces wrote:
27 Sep 2019
pquenin wrote:
27 Sep 2019
Yes they are. Look under Manage Content.
Thanks, but I just can't find Manage Content in Reason Intro...

ShelLuser

28 Sep 2019

Meh....

So today I tried Reason 11 and honestly? I'm seriously disappointed, about to de-install the whole thing and forget about it. (sort off). So many gaps, so many loopholes, so much amateurism...

Where do I even begin... On a personal note I dislike the new program icon. A minor issue but an important one for me because Windows 10 displays this stuff all the time in my start menu. The old reason logo stood out, and looked interesting. This new logo is bland and boring and I dislike it. It does not suit the program. Reason's interface is anything but bland, so why the heck did they pick such a boring and uninspiring logo? What was wrong with the old one? Nothing! Look: Live, that is a bland program. And they even acknowledged this and used a bland icon (a grey icon with "Live" written on it). That is fitting. But not this nonsense...

Yes, it's a minor issue because as an IT guy I can easily undo this stupidity myself but.... I don't like what where this may be going.

So I figured fired up 11 and started to wonder: so where's this fabled Reason plugin? I couldn't find it... The installer never mentioned it, it wasn't located on the VST tab in my product page: where the heck is it? I started Live and it found nothing. So... yah?

As it turns out the "professional" Reason studios company doesn't even give you a choice where you want to install the plugin. You're forced to use the default location, which is your C drive and no where in their documentation does this get mentioned. So much for professionalism. Even the manuals don't address this aspect, they only tell you how you can use the plugin but they don't bother to address where it gets installed and how you should use that. Wake up call: not everyone uses defaults. My VST plugin is in D:\Ableton\VST. My VST3 plugin idemditto. I don't use the default location and therefor was left hanging at first: where is it?

This [strike]is[/strike] was a first reason for me to get rid of all this. Instead of re-using the Reason program folder they basically added a 2nd copy. No fun if your C drive is an SSD drive with limited storage. I'm not just saying: I did some homework. As an IT guy I see no reason not to provide this option. Sure: this is an advanced setup, not too many users would do this. But why ignore us powerusers like this? Every VST I bought and installed (we're now talking 4 -6 years ago) allowed me to install it to a custom location. And every major DAW I used allowed me to set up a custom VST folder. Can it get worse? Yes it can because even Reason 10 allows me to set up a custom VST folder. So the Props know that users often use custom locations for their VST's, why in the <better censored comment> do they suddenly ignore all that and force us to use a default which for many users is plain out inconvenient? And did you know that they basically copied the whole Reason program folder again?

And then the plugin itself.. I was hoping for something 'Reason 4 like' but forget about it... Mediocre came to my mind when I first started this. The interface is anything but intuitive. Sure, there are some limitations because the VST host has control, I understand that the tab key doesn't work anymore. But I hate having to go back to the one single rack workflow. You can only stack your devices in one column and that's it. Seriously?

So then the problems start for me, because now I'm re-evaluating my other reasons for upgrading... A few new devices? Where some are basically nothing new other than the ability to stack 'm in the rack. So how do those new devices weigh up against having to install Reason triple (Reason 10, Reason 11, Reason rack extension) also comparing what I'm used to in Reason 10? Yah, there's even more here: I bought some serious good stuff when I got myself the Synth rig, Mastering & mix rig and... allowed myself to get persuaded into buying the Synapse bundle.

I have so many high quality rack extensions now, do I really need this lackluster experience that is Reason 11? Bland boring icon, a rack vst that can't weigh up against the workflow in Reason 10 + Live (don't ever underestimate what 2 sequencers can do combined!), a program that gobbles up twice the storage for "reasons"?

The only down side for me is that I can't easily play Reason with Live using Push right now, it would be easier with a VST. That part is true. SO I decided to do things "my way":

reason_hack.jpg
reason_hack.jpg (180.92 KiB) Viewed 4005 times

I made a backup of the Reason VST folder before I de-installed Reason 11. I don't want that bland boring stuff, good riddance. Then I moved the plugin folder into my custom VST3 folder and as you can see I can easily use it without issues. So how does this work even though I de-installed Reason 11 you ask? Because the new installer is plain out bad: it doesn't remove everything it should remove. Even though I de-installed Reason 11 the installer decided to leave the Reason 11 soundbank on my computer. "Only" 3Gb worth of now (normally) useless data. Installing & de-installing Reason is a sure way to waste precious disk space. Very professional indeed.... I don't recall the previous installers ever doing this....

And that display of amateurism is once again another reason enough for me to stay put.

I'm sure that after reading this rant (thank you) you may start to wonder about me.. and rightfully so. Don't get me wrong here: I love Reason and the Reason workflow. But I honestly fear where Reason is heading right now. Sloppy installer (leaves "only" 3Gb of data behind, good luck getting that back automatically!), adds a plain out lackluster VST which does not match up against the Reason rack (it also adds an extra copy of storage space of because of the Reason 11 program folder: 1 product, twice the space!), boring and lackluster program icon, doesn't add much useful devices especially if you bought into some rigs.

So yeah, I'm left disappointed. The only thing I do like about Reason 11 is the easy way to use the (VST) rack with Ableton Push. But that will only last so long until I finished my Reasonable Max for Live plugin which will allow me to use Reason rewired with Push, just as if I were to use a normal Live device. I've been working on that for quite a while now.

Oh well, there's always Reason 15 :)

(edit: fixed some major typoes and stuff, but left my mistakes in there).
Last edited by ShelLuser on 30 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
--- :reason:

EnochLight

28 Sep 2019

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, you can't please everyone.

/ducks
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gdm41

28 Sep 2019

He´s right the with the VST dir, i ran into same issue. Same with the REs content, its automatic installed to C:, which is my medium size system sdd. I dunno why they dont do a proper installer...
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

guitfnky

28 Sep 2019

so, am I understanding this correctly...you can't install the VST to a custom/specified folder? what about the soundbanks used? that would be an instant 'nope' for me...I only have a 500 gig SDD for my boot drive (C:), and don't need sound libraries clogging that up.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

gdm41

28 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
28 Sep 2019
so, am I understanding this correctly...you can't install the VST to a custom/specified folder? what about the soundbanks used? that would be an instant 'nope' for me...I only have a 500 gig SDD for my boot drive (C:), and don't need sound libraries clogging that up.
unfortunately yes. but you can do virtual symbol links to move your content to another hdd, its a PITA.
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

• Information