Climate Change [Solved!]

This forum is for anything not Reason related, if you just want to talk about other stuff. Please keep it friendly!
jam-s

24 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
24 Sep 2019
jappe wrote:
24 Sep 2019

Why can't we just have the scientists find a way to use the dark energy that's supposed to be surrounding us.
We can't even get scientists to agree on what is really happening with climate change :lol:
The 3% who are not in agreement are most likely on the payroll of big oil.

Creativemind

24 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
23 Sep 2019
I am also disappointed to see so many people passionately protesting something the media has pushed out, rather than an issue like I mentioned above.
What d'ya mean by "the media"? this is scientists which the last I heard don't get lead by media.

Think Enoch meant that 97% of scientists agree as in 'nearly all cause maybe a few don't for whatever reason.

We had the climate change agreement in 2016 where a hundred and odd countries agreed to tackle climate change 'cause the overwhelming majority of scientists were agreed climate change is real and we ARE the cause.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

EnochLight

24 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
24 Sep 2019
jappe wrote:
24 Sep 2019

Why can't we just have the scientists find a way to use the dark energy that's supposed to be surrounding us.
We can't even get scientists to agree on what is really happening with climate change :lol:
They actually do agree. I’m not sure why you persist in pretending they don’t. You’re either being obtuse or just don’t care about facts.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

24 Sep 2019

Andy wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Jagwah wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Some of you would be pleased to see Australia just yesterday had massive protests with people demanding government action on the environment. Lots of young people walked out of school for this. Personally I wish they were as passionate about other things. It shows you how powerful the fear machine media is.
Useful idiots. Nothing more, nothing less.

LOL. My God.

Don't forget to eat other humans to help the climate guys. After all a scientist says so.

There is no climate emergency: https://clintel.nl/brief-clintel-aan-vn-baas-guterres/
Her parents should let her concentrate on her studies. No girl should lose the innocence of childhood and have to face that amount of cruel criticism. At that age you still have no life experience. She actually kinda reminds me of Malala in her fearlessness.

reggie1979

24 Sep 2019

jam-s wrote:
24 Sep 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
24 Sep 2019

I don't buy into that. I mean, I'm pretty cynical when it comes to that stuff but that doesn't hold any water. Scientists are LARGELY divided on climate change (used to be "global warming" )

There seems to be two camps on the internet (none of which I'm a part of)

a) It's all big oil's fault or

b) There is no problem

And been attacked here and elsewhere for having a more common sense approach. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not (most likely NOT) the climate has shifted w/o people fucking it up for more time than you can imagine*. It's never been stable. We've had ice ages, warm ages, and everything in between. I know, I'ma hopeless troll for making sense but it's true.

I just get pissed about it because a bunch of random people on the internet are NOT correct. I'm saying I don't know all the facts.

*Unless you are a TRUE conspiracy theorist and believe it's all because of a nuclear winter from civilizations past :lol:

reggie1979

24 Sep 2019

Oh and BTW, I know "big oil" has their greedy little hands in a lot of dirty pool, I just don't have any evidence to suggest that only 3% of scientists disagree or that those who don't think it's us are part of big oil.

Jagwah

24 Sep 2019

Creativemind wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Jagwah wrote:
23 Sep 2019
I am also disappointed to see so many people passionately protesting something the media has pushed out, rather than an issue like I mentioned above.
What d'ya mean by "the media"? this is scientists which the last I heard don't get lead by media.

Think Enoch meant that 97% of scientists agree as in 'nearly all cause maybe a few don't for whatever reason.

We had the climate change agreement in 2016 where a hundred and odd countries agreed to tackle climate change 'cause the overwhelming majority of scientists were agreed climate change is real and we ARE the cause.
Well omg why on earth is there even a debate about this? It makes no sense. You should go and tell everyone what you just told me and put an end to this pointless debate, just omg what is wrong with half the world have they not heard your facts? seriously leave me out of this debate i am not interested.

EnochLight

24 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Scientists are LARGELY divided on climate change (used to be "global warming" )
This is a blatant mistruth. Please state your verified source, otherwise I can only draw the conclusion that you’re purposely being obtuse.
reggie1979 wrote:
24 Sep 2019
And been attacked here and elsewhere for having a more common sense approach.
Ah, the whole “victim” routine. :roll: Don’t conflate personal attacks with being asked to defend your opinion by presenting facts.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

24 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Creativemind wrote:
24 Sep 2019

Well omg why on earth is there even a debate about this? It makes no sense. You should go and tell everyone what you just told me and put an end to this pointless debate, just omg what is wrong with half the world have they not heard your facts? seriously leave me out of this debate i am not interested.
There isn't a debate. It's true. It's scary how people deny it.

Leading scientists and naturalists such as Prof Brian Cox and Sir David Attenborough have told us it's happening.The documentary in which I posted that started this thread clearly states we have till 2030 before the first tipping point is reached.

Antarctica will be completely melted by about mid 2045 and that will cause sea levels to rise up 7 metres they say. Florida, New York and Miami could be in a serious danger climate change experts have said if this happens.

How do they prove it. This is how....

Last edited by Creativemind on 24 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Jagwah

24 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
24 Sep 2019
You make a lot of assumptions that the media is solely to blame for the fear-mongering. I don't disagree to an extent, but why would you assume that those fearful of what's happening are only getting their data from the news? Visit any accredited university that isn't backed by a church, and almost certainly the science curriculum will mention human-caused climate change and that it is an issue negatively affecting our planet (as well as teach core facts like evolution, but that's an entirely different thread). Hell, my kid's middle school - which is publically funded - even touches on the subject in science class! These are not academic institutions getting their data from CNN or The Guardian; they get their data from real research done by real academics.
The media is just the main tool of the fear mongering. I won't claim to understand where it comes from, but that it's there I am in no doubt. See the time magazine video I posted on page 1. Millions of people watch the news and believe pretty much everything they say like it is the be all and end all of everything truthful, that ignorance is a massive advantage to whoever holds the keys to it. I don't like that kids are being taught about this in schools, that angers people too. Hate to think that lots of those kiddies that went out protesting were just trying to impress their teacher or basically fearing the end of their planet, they should be playing with matchbox cars and marbles not living in fear. When the media says sh*t like 'Insiders say,' or 'scientists say' and never back it up with real information regarding those scientists or whatever - it's just not credible in the real world, just a lady reading off a teleprompter and personally I don't buy much of it like I said.

Dude with respect, you asked a lot of questions and I tried to explain my thoughts, now with things getting a bit sarcastic like my last reply above it's going to start getting a bit uncool and I don't want to continue, so please leave me out of it from here on. Good on you for being level headed and calm about this touchy subject. :D

Jagwah

24 Sep 2019

Creativemind wrote:
24 Sep 2019
There isn't a debate.
So this thread shouldn't be here, and the people disagreeing... well that isn't even happening. Same logic as the 97% scientists, I guess the scientists from remote parts of the world in all languages have all been contacted and obviously vigorously agreed. I am bordering on getting annoyed here, already asked you once to leave me out of it and things are starting to get rude and silly so with respect just stop quoting me here.

Biolumin3sc3nt

24 Sep 2019

I've left this discussion up for other sites I visit. I would really hate to see Cool Musicians that are otherwise on the same page, get into some beef with each other. It happens all too easily. I'm in favor of putting a lock on this from here on out.

reggie1979

24 Sep 2019

Deny it? What do you mean?

Did anyone actually read what I said? Or are you too busy being a bully to realize it?

Honestly, YOU ARE NOT AN EXPERT. Quit claiming you are.

EnochLight

25 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Dude with respect, you asked a lot of questions and I tried to explain my thoughts, now with things getting a bit sarcastic like my last reply above it's going to start getting a bit uncool and I don't want to continue, so please leave me out of it from here on. Good on you for being level headed and calm about this touchy subject. :D
It's all good, man. Reason 11 just dropped! :thumbs_up:
reggie1979 wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Deny it? What do you mean?

Did anyone actually read what I said? Or are you too busy being a bully to realize it?

Honestly, YOU ARE NOT AN EXPERT. Quit claiming you are.
Again, conflating "back your opinion up with facts" with "bullying" is just not true. You're being asked, quite reasonably, to back your opinion up with facts, is all. Yes, I read what you wrote - but clearly you're not reading what I write in response and responding reasonably. You are in every sense of the word - being obtuse.

And where did I claim I was an expert?

Anyway, Reason 11 is out. Maybe we should all go make some music.

miscend

25 Sep 2019

Creativemind wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Jagwah wrote:
24 Sep 2019

There isn't a debate. It's true. It's scary how people deny it.

Leading scientists and naturalists such as Prof Brian Cox and Sir David Attenborough have told us it's happening.The documentary in which I posted that started this thread clearly states we have till 2030 before the first tipping point is reached.

Antarctica will be completely melted by about mid 2045 and that will cause sea levels to rise up 7 metres they say. Florida, New York and Miami could be in a serious danger climate change experts have said if this happens.
Reminds me of the movie Waterworld by Kevin Costner. They predict a world where the ice caps have melted and all civilisation is lost.

EnochLight

25 Sep 2019

miscend wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Reminds me of the movie Waterworld by Kevin Costner. They predict a world where the ice caps have melted and all civilisation is lost.
Assorted musings: I actually ran a movie theater when that film came out. There's a few things I remember about it (one being it was unbearably long and dragged on a lot). Another was Costner's character was an absolutely deplorable asshole in that story, yet he was poised to be the "hero".

Die Hard 3 and the first Toy Story came out that year, and were far better films IMHO. :lol:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
24 Sep 2019
jappe wrote:
24 Sep 2019
And how about oil stoves for houses, still in use in US?

Some decades ago oil stoves were very common in Sweden but hardly used now I think.
Oil stoves haven't been a thing in the US for almost 100 years. They're either natural gas or electric, depending on the region.
Here in NorCal way many start an open fire in their house on cold nights (to the point you cough going outside if the wind is calm). While having a Prius parked outside. Hilarious ignorance. I did the calculation of pollution comparing the two. An open fire is like have a 1000 cars driving on the high way. So a 2h fire is 1000 cars driving for 2h...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

EnochLight

25 Sep 2019

Boombastix wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Here in NorCal way many start an open fire in their house on cold nights (to the point you cough going outside if the wind is calm). While having a Prius parked outside. Hilarious ignorance. I did the calculation of pollution comparing the two. An open fire is like have a 1000 cars driving on the high way. So a 2h fire is 1000 cars driving for 2h...
The important difference is regarding an open wood fire, burning from firewood from a recently fell tree or charcoal, is not the same as burning fossil fuel (whether it be made from petroleum or natural gas). Fossil fuel carbon has been taken out of the earth's climate cycle and ecosystem for millions of years, stored in perpetuity. A recently fell tree (firewood, charcoal, etc) is grown in the present and absorbs the very carbon (while growing) it's returning to the atmosphere when burned. And while a million acre burning forest fire is obviously not good, it's not quite as bad as a million acres of burning fossil fuel that will never have the capacity to remove carbon from atmosphere at all.

I'm not advocating that everyone goes back to burning wood (though I do love a good wood-fired steak!), but I thought it interesting to point out.

demt

26 Sep 2019

plant more trees reforest dartmore with apple n plumtrees etc its gonna happen sometime y not now. Wood is the best building material when all is managed correctly green politics in other words.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

EnochLight

26 Sep 2019

demt wrote:
26 Sep 2019
plant more trees reforest dartmore with apple n plumtrees etc its gonna happen sometime y not now. Wood is the best building material when all is managed correctly green politics in other words.
You're not wrong. These are great practices that can certainly help, especially once society is liberated from using fossil fuels as their main source of energy. :thumbs_up:

MarkTarlton

26 Sep 2019

an interesting read that adds to the discussion. It popped up yesterday in my news feed.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028552494

Creativemind

26 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
24 Sep 2019
jam-s wrote:
24 Sep 2019

I don't buy into that. I mean, I'm pretty cynical when it comes to that stuff but that doesn't hold any water. Scientists are LARGELY divided on climate change (used to be "global warming" )

There seems to be two camps on the internet (none of which I'm a part of)

a) It's all big oil's fault or

b) There is no problem

And been attacked here and elsewhere for having a more common sense approach. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not (most likely NOT) the climate has shifted w/o people fucking it up for more time than you can imagine*. It's never been stable. We've had ice ages, warm ages, and everything in between. I know, I'ma hopeless troll for making sense but it's true.

I just get pissed about it because a bunch of random people on the internet are NOT correct. I'm saying I don't know all the facts.

*Unless you are a TRUE conspiracy theorist and believe it's all because of a nuclear winter from civilizations past :lol:
I'll just leave this here:-

reggie1979

26 Sep 2019

Why is some random guy the "is all/end all" for all of this? He makes some good points and sounds like an infomercial on others. You can't win on the interwebzes.

I've stated on many occasions that I believe humans are partially responsible for climate change, or global warming, or whatever you want to call it.

I'm going to keep stating what I believe in spite of random dude and his half-baked truths. At least now I know where the 3% comes from :lol:

reggie1979

26 Sep 2019

If anyone wants to challenge that people can cause climate change, look no further than the "dust bowl" that happened here in the states. We did that. It's a thing.

People constantly whine about oil and what it's doing w/o taking into consideration all the other things we do with damning, stripping areas barren for goods, non-air pollution, and others I just can't think of.

There is a solution to climate change: ZIP IT! (whaceee) ZIP IT GOOD!

You can't go from 2.5 billion to 7.5 billion people in a few decades and not expect consequences. But don't worry my little droogies, companies are already working on ways to ruin other celestial bodies :lol:

EnochLight

26 Sep 2019

MarkTarlton wrote:
26 Sep 2019
an interesting read that adds to the discussion. It popped up yesterday in my news feed.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1028552494
The fact that this is coming from an investment bank is pretty telling. Strange that they can see the writing on the wall, yet politicians and science deniers keep their ears plugged and eyes closed while screaming nonsense at the top of their lungs.

• Information