Song for remix contest - Feedback

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
aeox
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

Hey Reasontalk! :)

They're having a contest over at skiomusic.

Take a listen to the original so you can hear how I used the stems.
https://skiomusic.com/contest/cyrus-rey ... ix-contest

After working on it for a few days, I've decided to try to get some outside opinions on the mix, arrangement, sound design, and mastering. It's still in development, I have until Sept. 20th 11:59PM PST to send it in. So, seeking some last minute feedback from the community before it's final!

First thing I'd like to note is that it's suppose to be really loud, loud for me is about -9 (I've done these contests before, they all favor LOUD mixes); and the drop particularly has a supersaw that it's taking up most of the mid/high frequencies.. Not sure if it's too bright or not, since I've been listening to it over and over. Sounds okay to me, given that there isn't anything else competing with it in the same frequency range... I digress.

The structure isn't traditional EDM/POP. Which might be something that hurts me in the end, but I wanted to just go with the flow and see where I ended up.
Last edited by aeox on 26 Oct 2019, edited 2 times in total.

PhillipOrdonez

20 Sep 2019

Can only listen on headphones right now and here the mix sounds right. Only suggestion would be maybe a bit of subtle send automation with some reverb or delay on the snare and the super saw for variation...

Good job! Hope you win.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

Nice track. Sounds good to me.
I would probably turn the vocals up just a little bit louder while the synths are playing. It works fine as it is now too, I just prefer to have the main focus of a track to be a little more pronounced.
Or you could add some subtle use of Carve EQ instead and the synths would be turned down in all the right frequencies to make way for the vocals.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Can only listen on headphones right now and here the mix sounds right. Only suggestion would be maybe a bit of subtle send automation with some reverb or delay on the snare and the super saw for variation...

Good job! Hope you win.
Added some more reverb to the snare!

Thanks!

TritoneAddiction wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Nice track. Sounds good to me.
I would probably turn the vocals up just a little bit louder while the synths are playing. It works fine as it is now too, I just prefer to have the main focus of a track to be a little more pronounced.
Or you could add some subtle use of Carve EQ instead and the synths would be turned down in all the right frequencies to make way for the vocals.
I am using carve already but I'll mess around with increasing the amount and see how that sounds.

Thanks!

aeox
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
20 Sep 2019

Good job! Hope you win.
Okay, so I particually toook your feedback and put some more reverb on the snare.

As for tritoneaddictions suggestion, I tried and did what I could, and thought sounded right at the time.

Here is the final:
https://skiomusic.com/space-goo/cyrus-r ... -goo-remix

Thank you two for the input!

RobC

24 Sep 2019

Times have changed? Most contests usually were about who gets more plays and likes in the past. That's when I stopped giving a crap about them. x D
Jesus, how many entries are there? ...and they say they listen and judge by skill and quality? I think they bit off more than they can chew, hehe.

aeox
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2019

RobC wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Times have changed? Most contests usually were about who gets more plays and likes in the past. That's when I stopped giving a crap about them. x D
Jesus, how many entries are there? ...and they say they listen and judge by skill and quality? I think they bit off more than they can chew, hehe.
I'm not sure if they've ever been just about plays and likes, but I always see entries win that have like 16 plays and a few likes.

They ultimately pick the 3 best songs not based on plays or likes, and maybe some "honorable mentions" that didn't make the cut. On the last contest on Skio that I entered, my submission didn't win but received a honorable mention, for example.

For this particular remix contest there were 500 entries. it varies depending on the track. The last one I did had around 800 if I remember correctly.

I always enjoy doing remix contests in an attempt to better my self and grow as a musician. Working with decent vocals and trying to make a track around them is a great exercise!

PhillipOrdonez

24 Sep 2019

Well done! Wish you luck!

Always listen to tritone's advice. Everything I've heard from him sounded really well, despite not being my style.

There was a time when remix contests became all about votes and likes, I won a couple right before they became all about that (circa 2009). It's good to hear they are back to being about the music! Myself, I always liked doing them and learned a lot from remixing other artists.

RobC

25 Sep 2019

aeox wrote:
24 Sep 2019

I'm not sure if they've ever been just about plays and likes, but I always see entries win that have like 16 plays and a few likes.

They ultimately pick the 3 best songs not based on plays or likes, and maybe some "honorable mentions" that didn't make the cut. On the last contest on Skio that I entered, my submission didn't win but received a honorable mention, for example.

For this particular remix contest there were 500 entries. it varies depending on the track. The last one I did had around 800 if I remember correctly.

I always enjoy doing remix contests in an attempt to better my self and grow as a musician. Working with decent vocals and trying to make a track around them is a great exercise!
Yes, there was such time - and I was quite the rebel against them. x D It was disgusting what they did. But I quickly realized that I won't change anything. Or if I do, my chances "accidentally" go down to zero, while the game becomes fair for others. (...and by fair, I mean that in one case, the #1 winner was still the slightly established artist, who was oh-so diplomatic, kissing the ass of everyone - but at the same time, its submission was pretty mediocre ~ figures. Nothing is ever guaranteed to be fair.)

That said, I'm not talking about any current remix contests. I haven't looked at any in years (almost a decade).

No doubt these are good for experimenting, too!

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Sep 2019

Damn guys.. the phase on the supersaw during the drop section is all messed up. I had accidental latency on a parallel channel that caused this :/ Didn't notice until today.

aeox
Competition Winner

30 Sep 2019

It's too late for the remix contest, but I fixed the phasing issue and varied the supersaw in the drop so it wasn't so repetitive.

PhillipOrdonez

30 Sep 2019

😱

aeox
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2019

gullum wrote:
30 Sep 2019
I like this a lot nice chill feel
Thanks!

david1806

06 Oct 2019

Hiya gullum.....

Sounds really good to me, and I agree with you saying: "I always enjoy doing remix contests in an attempt to better my self and grow as a musician. Working with decent vocals and trying to make a track around them is a great exercise!" - because I have just entered the same competition but with a different song!

I wish you all the best, I really do. Good luck mate!! (my track is in my signature link but will post it in the appropriate section...)

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2019

david1806 wrote:
06 Oct 2019
Hiya gullum.....

Sounds really good to me, and I agree with you saying: "I always enjoy doing remix contests in an attempt to better my self and grow as a musician. Working with decent vocals and trying to make a track around them is a great exercise!" - because I have just entered the same competition but with a different song!

I wish you all the best, I really do. Good luck mate!! (my track is in my signature link but will post it in the appropriate section...)
Hey, i didnt place but it was fun and i liked my track :)

Thanks! will listen to yours soon.

• Information