Using sounds as a filter

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Cobrac

23 Sep 2019

Hi,

Im new here but are a long time user of Reason, I have been thinking lately how to achive a certain way of making music/soundscapes but I just dont know how to do it in my reason rack. My idea is to make "a wall of sound" and then somehow use a synth as filter to that sound wall. It basically means that I want to remove the sound im playing with from the sound wall. Like a inverted way of playing I want to remove rather than add. Im not sure how to explain it, like a sidechain but not only remove the amplitude I want to remove the actual sound from another. Does this make any sense at all? If so, can anyone help me to achive this in the rack? What plugins do I need or can I achive this by smart wiring?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2019

Try Carve rack extension
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2019

Cobrac wrote:
23 Sep 2019
Hi,

Im new here but are a long time user of Reason, I have been thinking lately how to achive a certain way of making music/soundscapes but I just dont know how to do it in my reason rack. My idea is to make "a wall of sound" and then somehow use a synth as filter to that sound wall. It basically means that I want to remove the sound im playing with from the sound wall. Like a inverted way of playing I want to remove rather than add. Im not sure how to explain it, like a sidechain but not only remove the amplitude I want to remove the actual sound from another. Does this make any sense at all? If so, can anyone help me to achive this in the rack? What plugins do I need or can I achive this by smart wiring?
If I’m understanding you right then that’s very cool. The silence is the melody?

Edit: actually, now I’m thinking about it, isn’t that how subtractive synthesis works?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

24 Sep 2019

Yea Carve may be the right device.

Or you try Europa as a synth and a sample as the filter.

Another thing could be to play around with a vocoder...
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

24 Sep 2019

you might be able to do something like this with Selig’s Coloring EQ, which allows you to “play” specific note frequencies

I did sort of the opposite of this using the Coloring EQ a year or so ago...the underlying synth part was very broad-spectrum—sort of like white noise (or a wall of sound), but I used a narrow soloed band to play a melody on top of that. it sounded pretty cool.

I would say you could just link the notes you’re playing on the Coloring EQ to a narrow band with a drastic cut.

that said, I’m not sure you’ll hear a clear melody, since you’re actually sort of creating the opposite of a melody—a sort of anti-melody, if you will. then again, I’m not sure you won’t...and the results will probably sound interesting at the very least.

good luck!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Oquasec

24 Sep 2019

Wavetable filters would be interesting to see. or partial filters
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Loque

24 Sep 2019

Oquasec wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Spectra has filters which can be defined pretty free including partial envelopes.
Reason12, Win10

Cobrac

25 Sep 2019

Thanks for all the answers, I will try them out. One idea I have with this is that you can very easily mix sounds to extreme "fatness" if I connect my devices smart, since every sound only removes its own spectrum from one and other. This will, together with fine adjusted volumes and automations, generate a unique sound I believe. Another approach is to remove/filter by playing with silience to generate more dynamic and dramatic soundscapes with advanced automations lanes. A bit corny, but I think this could add (or remove in this case) some cool effects at some of my songs. I sometimes feel that its hard to remove and create fast dynamic changes in big sounds.

Cobrac

25 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Cobrac wrote:
23 Sep 2019
Hi,

If I’m understanding you right then that’s very cool. The silence is the melody?

Edit: actually, now I’m thinking about it, isn’t that how subtractive synthesis works?
Yes, thats one approach of it. I have several ideas about this, Im almost thinking of it as a "parallell universe" music like a inverted mirror effect that I can automate and trigger at different points in my music. Adding and removing is actually the same in some cases I believe this is a faster way to create dramatic and dynamic range music and at the same time add full bodied sound pictures. Like a yin-yan effect? My "dream feauture" is if you right-klick on your device you could choose if it should add or remove from any device/mix channel by choice.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2019

Cobrac wrote:
25 Sep 2019
MrFigg wrote:
24 Sep 2019

Yes, thats one approach of it. I have several ideas about this, Im almost thinking of it as a "parallell universe" music like a inverted mirror effect that I can automate and trigger at different points in my music. Adding and removing is actually the same in some cases I believe this is a faster way to create dramatic and dynamic range music and at the same time add full bodied sound pictures. Like a yin-yan effect? My "dream feauture" is if you right-klick on your device you could choose if it should add or remove from any device/mix channel by choice.
Totally love it man. Do it!!!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Karim
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2019

Cobrac wrote:
23 Sep 2019
Hi,

Carve Carve and again Carve is the way!
You mean absolutely a sort of dynamic EQ. A sidechain apply to a range of frequency!
It's my favourite aspect of the sound design
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Cobrac

25 Sep 2019

Karim wrote:
25 Sep 2019
Cobrac wrote:
23 Sep 2019
Hi,

Carve Carve and again Carve is the way!
You mean absolutely a sort of dynamic EQ. A sidechain apply to a range of frequency!
It's my favourite aspect of the sound design
Great, I will start experiment with Carve asap. Thanks alot!

way2cool

25 Sep 2019

yes carve looking so nice, try maybe eq negative sweep arounds

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2019

Oquasec wrote:
24 Sep 2019
It is on my 'to-do' list, to run 2x Parsec in Audio In mode (two for stereo), and be creative with the spectral filters. One of the few spectral fx out there that take audio in, most of the plugins require you drop in a sample. Keep in mind you can draw your own curves in Parsec, just to bad the windows are so f&¤%ing small, wish they could open up to the size of Harmor.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

synthetechsound
RE Developer

27 Sep 2019

Loque wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Oquasec wrote:
24 Sep 2019
Spectra has filters which can be defined pretty free including partial envelopes.
The filter sequences give the same result as a conceptual filter wavetable. If you define the filter sequence you can set up any mod source to move through the FSEQ. The manual might be helpful in setting this up. Let me know if I can be helpful.

• Information