Reason 11 master buss compressor vs Waves SSL master buss compressor

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

MarkTarlton

21 Sep 2019

it looks like the gain reduction on the waves is a bit more than the reason ssl comp, which is interesting becuase of the added input gain you were mentioning, and it's still less after maxing out the input.

also I wasn't aware that you could share R11 videos while still in beta.

Gulale

21 Sep 2019

How do you call this a comparison? The only thing that has got a low end is his voice. Starting the Drum to whatever loop he was comparing with looks like it has been HPF.
Gulale aka Bereket

antic604

21 Sep 2019

selig wrote:
21 Sep 2019
MarkTarlton wrote:
21 Sep 2019
also I wasn't aware that you could share R11 videos while still in beta.
I'm pretty sure Mattias said on FB it's OK to post videos after they've moved out of the logging beta. Which they did yesterday.

future-bit

21 Sep 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

boingy

21 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
21 Sep 2019

I'm pretty sure Mattias said on FB it's OK to post videos after they've moved out of the logging beta. Which they did yesterday.
From the beta testing "rules":
Once we release a Release Candidate version, i.e. a non-logging version, you can freely share information and we'll be super excited to hear the music you make with Reason 11.
And, yes, we're on to the non-logging version now and it's looking pretty good. I'm loving the VST Rack. :thumbs_up:

nooomy

21 Sep 2019

future-bit wrote:
21 Sep 2019
Sound on youtube in a compressed format always. Therefore, it makes no sense to conduct tests on a video clip. Results will be distorted.
You can do this test your self. You won’t hear any difference with our without YouTube compression. We just got a 100 dollar compressor in the reason 11 update ;)

MarkTarlton

21 Sep 2019

my apologies to noomy for not knowing the rules, thanks for the heads up everyone :)

antic604

21 Sep 2019

nooomy wrote:
21 Sep 2019
We just got a 100 dollar compressor in the reason 11 update ;)
Whole SSL bundle was $99 few days ago, with separate plugins - inlc. bus compressor - at $29. Just saying :)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2019

Here is another comparison. You can here that some emulations are a little different, but not by much... The waves is included.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

boosto23

23 Sep 2019

My experience has been that if you have one decent emulation of the SSL Master Bus compressor, you're probably set. Yes they can differ slightly, but the difference is not enough to warrant spending money on another one (for the budget conscious). Sure, a pair of scissors with ceramic blades cut differently than one with steel blades, but they're going to be cutting the same piece of paper in broad strokes.

Data_Shrine

02 Oct 2019

I think Reason SSL master glue compressor is pretty good (once you side-chain it). I also use Ableton Glue Compressor and it's also very good (I prefer this one, but both are great anyway).

hurricane
Competition Winner

02 Oct 2019

Well since they're both the same and/or similar, it's just another reason to not upgrade to R11 and keep using my Waves.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

miscend

03 Oct 2019

I had a custom built SSL bus clone at one point. I was even streaming music through it as it made everything going through it sound good. I sold it when I needed money. With time I could get the Reason bus comp to sound reasonably close and it's way more convenient to use than outboard. Most of the VST versions I've tried are pretty good as well. It's not like the LA2A where most of the plugin versions suck.

Loque

03 Oct 2019

miscend wrote:
03 Oct 2019
I had a custom built SSL bus clone at one point. I was even streaming music through it as it made everything going through it sound good. I sold it when I needed money. With time I could get the Reason bus comp to sound reasonably close and it's way more convenient to use than outboard. Most of the VST versions I've tried are pretty good as well. It's not like the LA2A where most of the plugin versions suck.
Yea, those rack SSL versions are really great. Now i can put the compressors in the fx chain where I want and not only at the end and "bus" around...Now i really like the channel compressor way more and get used to it. It can create really punchy or lush drums. I just whish it had some Attack control, but its ok - i guess this can be "replicated" with Threshold and gain staging...maybe...dunno exactly....
Reason12, Win10

• Information