Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tiker01

19 Sep 2019

Zac wrote:
19 Sep 2019
antic604 wrote:
19 Sep 2019

Are you expecting to have access to devices missing from full v11 via Rack VST, because you have full v10, e.g. Grain, Maelstrom, Synchronous, The Echo? Having those available in Bitwig or Cubase is worth way more - for me, obviously - than the $/eur50 difference between 11 Intro and 10->11 upgrade.
I realise I'll lose Grain/Malstrom etc and not get the new R11 devices in Intro and whilst it's a fine line between the extra £50 being worth it or not for R11 full I really don't need any new modulation devices or the ssl fx.

Because I'm learning Live right now I'm happy to use Grain in 10 and export audio. In fact I'm trying to commit to audio earlier and not have massive chains of devices for longer than necessary.

Live is really changing my view of things and I can't wait to use my REs in it.

The £50 I'll save will come in handy and concentrates my will on breaking my Reason habit ;)
Whatever is your cup of tea. Still it sounds too much hustle for little gain. If there is any gain at all. I am pretty sure there will be new devices in Reason 11 down the line.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Zac

19 Sep 2019

tiker01 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Zac wrote:
19 Sep 2019

I realise I'll lose Grain/Malstrom etc and not get the new R11 devices in Intro and whilst it's a fine line between the extra £50 being worth it or not for R11 full I really don't need any new modulation devices or the ssl fx.

Because I'm learning Live right now I'm happy to use Grain in 10 and export audio. In fact I'm trying to commit to audio earlier and not have massive chains of devices for longer than necessary.

The £50 I'll save will come in handy and concentrates my will on breaking my Reason habit ;)
Whatever is your cup of tea. Still it sounds too much hustle for little gain. If there is any gain at all. I am pretty sure there will be new devices in Reason 11 down the line.
I can see your side but for me, R11 Intro may be the last Reason product I buy. I'm happy to use MIDI based VSTs in Live and I'm loving arranging in it so all I need is my rack REs.

I'll keep R10 full as a comforter for a while but eventually may even sell that.

I have LOVED Reason since Dec 2001 but now I can have my rack elsewhere I don't have to depend on their updates.

Jagwah

19 Sep 2019

I still call fruity loops fruity loops, but I bet the kiddies don't, and they are the target of most companies these days because that's where the most money is apparently.
Last edited by Jagwah on 19 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

antic604

19 Sep 2019

Zac wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Wish you tried Bitwig instead, but oh well... :)

Zac

19 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Zac wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Oh I am ;) it's just I'm further along with trying Live. Reaper and Studio One too. I intend to make an informed decision :)

EnochLight

19 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Curious: what draws you to Bitwig over Live? I tried Live years ago and never could get inspired by its workflow. Is Bitwig much different?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

antic604

19 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2019
antic604 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Curious: what draws you to Bitwig over Live? I tried Live years ago and never could get inspired by its workflow. Is Bitwig much different?
It's from 4 months back so I should probably update it for Bitwig 3 and Live 10.1:

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 1#p7070551

EnochLight

19 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
It's from 4 months back so I should probably update it for Bitwig 3 and Live 10.1:

Cool; thanks!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

davidicus

19 Sep 2019

parma wrote:
26 Aug 2019
they're going to find a whole bunch of outdated devices and wonder what the big deal is anyway.
they might find they've fired up a VST with a bigger RAM footprint than anything else they own :?

antic604

19 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2019
antic604 wrote:
19 Sep 2019

Cool; thanks!
To be perfectly frank, if I was choosing a new DAW today either Live or Bitwig would work great. When I purchased Bitwig in early 2018, Live was still at v9.7 and a year later v10 and v10.1 fixed lots of my issues with it and added tons of functionality. They've really stepped up their game recently. I'm a Push2 owner (works great with Bitwig, btw) so I've pretty inexpensive path to get Suite again if it knocks me off my feet with v10.x updates or v11 somewhere down the line.

I mean all DAWs are awesome nowadays, incl. Reason :)

davidicus

19 Sep 2019

Zac wrote:
26 Aug 2019
davidicus wrote:
26 Aug 2019
at least there's a 1-2 year path out of Reason now.
But if I've read the writing on the wall incorrectly, I can always come back if there's good enough reason to.
Yeah, I think the update was a fair amount of work (though it feels expensive for what I need out of it), but the writing on the wall warns me to start getting out now.
However, there is a chance (perhaps slight, given all the competition) that Propellerhead is secretly building a killer next-gen DAW engineered around the Reason VST rack as a separate revenue stream. That would be thinking big.

EnochLight

19 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
To be perfectly frank, if I was choosing a new DAW today either Live or Bitwig would work great. When I purchased Bitwig in early 2018, Live was still at v9.7 and a year later v10 and v10.1 fixed lots of my issues with it and added tons of functionality. They've really stepped up their game recently. I'm a Push2 owner (works great with Bitwig, btw) so I've pretty inexpensive path to get Suite again if it knocks me off my feet with v10.x updates or v11 somewhere down the line.

I mean all DAWs are awesome nowadays, incl. Reason :)
I hear you. I'm thinking about giving Live another look. I used to hate its production environment, but since Push 2 came out, some other "things" are happening that is causing me to consider giving it another try. ;)

I own Studio One 4.5, but I don't really use Studio One. Like.. ever. :lol:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

Live is probably alternative #1 if anyone plans to colab. It probably has some of the biggest user base, so easy to share files, and in a room you can use Link. So not bad at all. Wish Cubase would have Link as well, they have their own that nobody seems to talk about.

To get R11 for me, it would be for using Reason DAW as a project starter, because it is fun and inspiring. But to go to final product I can see the benefit for another DAW. So then, naturally, I want to bring in the Combinators that I started with in Reason DAW and open them in the Rack Plugin, but you cannot, not if you use VSTs in your Combinator.

I still cannot see how they did not envision this being a strong selling point. They really kill the DAW side of Reason by not allowing VSTs in the Rack Plugin. It basically says, use Reason DAW and only the DAW, OR use the Rack Plugin but NEVER use the DAW again.

No wonder so many say: I'll upgrade to Reason 11, but after that, bye bye Reason. It is a shame really that the omission of VSTs in the Rack Plugin puts Reason Studios in this spot. But I guess they made this "bed", so they have to sleep in it... :evil: :roll: :evil:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

hurricane
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

Well, they're just setting you suckers up. They'll string you along as usual only to add VST support and midi out to the rack in a future update 2 years from now and make you pay for it. Should have been there in the first place.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Jagwah

19 Sep 2019

mep

EnochLight

19 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Well, they're just setting you suckers up.
:roll:

boingy

19 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Well, they're just setting you suckers up. They'll string you along as usual only to add VST support and midi out to the rack in a future update 2 years from now and make you pay for it. Should have been there in the first place.
You make it sound like there is some grand plan being masterminded by Dr Evil.
There isn't a grand plan. That's kinda the problem. At least with Dr Evil we'd have one clear vision of the future.
It's like the folks making the decisions know nothing about the industry they are in and still think it's 2005.

Jolla

20 Sep 2019

From the point of view of tactics, Vst rack is not interesting for users and the update is boring. but in terms of strategy, this update will lead to a rises in popularity of reasoners.
which means that the next update will be grandiose in terms of changes. and that’s what all users want. wait until version 12 😊

Raveshaper

20 Sep 2019

Jolla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
From the point of view of tactics, Vst rack is not interesting for users and the update is boring. but in terms of strategy, this update will lead to a rises in popularity of reasoners.
which means that the next update will be grandiose in terms of changes. and that’s what all users want. wait until version 12 😊
People have been saying that since version 7. But it's good to stay positive. Just don't be upset if it doesn't happen.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

chimp_spanner

20 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Well that's not a nice thing to say now is it...

Jolla

20 Sep 2019

Raveshaper wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Jolla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
People have been saying that since version 7. But it's good to stay positive. Just don't be upset if it doesn't happen.
I certainly understand the disappointment of many users, but formally, I paid only for what I already have. in the future I will decide. 😊

Jagwah

20 Sep 2019

Jolla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
...which means that the next update will be grandiose in terms of changes.
No offense but LOL!

I remember thinking the same thing when I and many others spent thousands of dollars on REs compared to usually only spending $129 every few years. It made not one scrap of difference. The reality is I have a great arsenal of tools that are well worth the money, but my expectations / dreams of bigger and better upgrades never came to be true. I now cringe at my video support campaigns, and people should cringe at their own massive efforts campaigning for features that are probably never going to happen in our life times at this rate. All that wasted time and effort :shock:

Reason 7 FTW!

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

Still making tracks in Reason :D

I get some of the criticisms but users that are jumping ship because they didn't get enough or any of the features they wanted is just weird to me. It makes me question whether these people are actually making music or thinking about making music. Weren't we making music just fine before Reason 11 was announced? What changed? Sounds like most people want Reason to be just like their favorite DAW. In that case, the Rack VST makes perfect sense. Now it's in your favorite DAW.

I'll keep using Reason for a long time because it's MY favorite DAW.

Jolla

20 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Jolla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
...which means that the next update will be grandiose in terms of changes.
No offense but LOL!

I remember thinking the same thing when I and many others spent thousands of dollars on REs compared to usually only spending $129 every few years. It made not one scrap of difference. The reality is I have a great arsenal of tools that are well worth the money, but my expectations / dreams of bigger and better upgrades never came to be true. I now cringe at my video support campaigns, and people should cringe at their own massive efforts campaigning for features that are probably never going to happen in our life times at this rate. All that wasted time and effort :shock:

Reason 7 FTW!
my logic is simple - the more users want progress for the Reason, the more incentive the prop will have to satisfy our requests.
Agree, we are still few. But with the VST Rack the situation may change radically. This is not two, three times, but many more users, and, accordingly, interest in the modular structure of props.
In any case, I prefer to think this way than to suffer from failed dreams. ;)

dezma

20 Sep 2019

Jolla wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Jagwah wrote:
20 Sep 2019

No offense but LOL!

Reason 7 FTW!
my logic is simple - the more users want progress for the Reason, the more incentive the prop will have to satisfy our requests.
Agree, we are still few. But with the VST Rack the situation may change radically. This is not two, three times, but many more users, and, accordingly, interest in the modular structure of props.
In any case, I prefer to think this way than to suffer from failed dreams. ;)
Which is why they will likely have bugfixes and sequencer improvements at an even lower speed (if possible at all) as they will have to dedicate resources to the rack VST.

I logged issue 400274 over 2 years ago on 16th of August 2017:

Hi,

When using VST avenger, I'm not able to do any automation. When clicking
the "automation" button there is no lane created, and in the piano roll, I
can only select up until OSC3 parameters. This is a synth with an large
number of parameters so is it possible there is a limitation within reason?
If so this should by all means be fixed as I'm not even able to automate
filters.

Regard

I never even got a response, so this was my first eye-opener.

2 years later: still no sample drag n drop samples to VST from browser, vst midi out, autosave, etc... as I stated before, each update they increase the gap with the current competition. So I suggest they either skip the DAW charade alltogether and focus on what they very clearly prefer doing (creating devices) or get their act together to get on par. I couldn't care less even if they built 2000 new devices I'll never use. I want a better sequencer and I want it now.

Now that I trialed studio one I'll probably still upgrade to safeguard my RE investments (IF they get the performance right - still need to download the non logging beta), and that'll most probably be the end of Reason DAW for me. They are just lightyears behind, and show zero interest in catching up.

• Information