Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MrBlue

18 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
Significant sequencer upgrades, or even better, browser updates.
Or a deal like "Buy Reason 11 and get Suite for free if you own 5 or more devices already".
Hopefully both :P
:thumbs_up:

guitfnky

18 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2019

Out of curiosity, what will it realistically take to coax you into upgrading to 11.x?
Or a deal like "Buy Reason 11 and get Suite for free if you own 5 or more devices already".
Hopefully both :P
I’ll second this. for a straight upgrade to 11 Standard, it would take a bunch of sequencer and workflow updates. if they got MIDI VST implementation, that would be HUGE.

as it stands, I’m thinking of upgrading to the Suite since I I’ve been eyeing several of those devices already anyway, and it’ll give me the opportunity to—<sigh>—use my rack in Cakewalk, now that I’m looking to start using that more.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

18 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
I'm trying to think of specific sequencer updates/changes I want at this point. I know there are plenty, but I'm so used to working in Reason and getting around its shortfalls that I'm blurry on the things I want.

As for the browser, I totally 100% agree. A cached "instant search" is sorely needed, as is tags and tag management. I can't believe this is 2019 and Reason is still largely rocking a browser that hasn't been touched in 3 major versions and countless point updates. It's maddening.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Zac

18 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019

I promise you I'm not - not in its current state or with the incentives going on. Talking about R11 standalone. But I'm still happy about all the new and old users who will use the Rack and visit the forums and chats.
Out of curiosity, what will it realistically take to coax you into upgrading to 11.x?
I know you weren't asking me but :P ...

I'm currently set on getting R11 Intro and keeping my R10 full (I was going to sell it)... but if R11.x added MIDI VSTs AND VST3 support AND a better browser experience AND a well designed sequencer upgrade then I would probably sell 11 Intro and update 10 to 11 full... my guess is that hell won't freeze over twice ;)

EnochLight

18 Sep 2019

Zac wrote:
18 Sep 2019
but if R11.x added MIDI VSTs AND VST3 support AND a better browser experience AND a well designed sequencer upgrade then I would probably sell 11 Intro and update 10 to 11 full... my guess is that hell won't freeze over twice ;)
I feel proper VST3 support (inside Reason DAW proper) is absolutely necessary, especially seeing as how Reason Plugin is a VST3. As for MIDI VST, I don't really care about that - I'm a fan of Players. But hopefully hell will freeze over twice! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2019
Zac wrote:
18 Sep 2019
but if R11.x added MIDI VSTs AND VST3 support AND a better browser experience AND a well designed sequencer upgrade then I would probably sell 11 Intro and update 10 to 11 full... my guess is that hell won't freeze over twice ;)
I feel proper VST3 support (inside Reason DAW proper) is absolutely necessary, especially seeing as how Reason Plugin is a VST3. As for MIDI VST, I don't really care about that - I'm a fan of Players. But hopefully hell will freeze over twice! :lol:
Speaking of freeze...
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2019

Speaking of freeze...
I want to PUNCH something!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

EnochLight

18 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
Speaking of freeze...
As in... Track? ;)
diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
I want to PUNCH something!
:o :shock: :?

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

yes and yes (punch-in) :)

guitfnky

18 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2019
As for MIDI VST, I don't really care about that - I'm a fan of Players. But hopefully hell will freeze over twice! :lol:
yeah, I can see how on the surface, MIDI VST isn’t useful for everyone. there are a couple of big VSTs that I use (or want to) in Reason that need MIDI to the DAW, but that can’t be replaced by Players.

MIDI Guitar 2 is a big one—lets me play my synths and instruments using my guitar (I can use a MIDI loopback as a workaround for this one, so it’s not a huge deal). the one I really want to use though is Jamstix 4. realistic drum performances (timing and velocity) that you can’t possibly approximate with any of the existing Players. I do mostly rock-based music, so realistic drums are crucial for me, but stock patterns (like the A-List stuff, etc.) are a huge no-no, for my tunes. playing keyboards to get more realism in my drum tracks is the best I have right now, but it’s super time-consuming.

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
18 Sep 2019
EnochLight wrote:
18 Sep 2019
As for MIDI VST, I don't really care about that - I'm a fan of Players. But hopefully hell will freeze over twice! :lol:
yeah, I can see how on the surface, MIDI VST isn’t useful for everyone. there are a couple of big VSTs that I use (or want to) in Reason that need MIDI to the DAW, but that can’t be replaced by Players.

MIDI Guitar 2 is a big one—lets me play my synths and instruments using my guitar (I can use a MIDI loopback as a workaround for this one, so it’s not a huge deal). the one I really want to use though is Jamstix 4. realistic drum performances (timing and velocity) that you can’t possibly approximate with any of the existing Players. I do mostly rock-based music, so realistic drums are crucial for me, but stock patterns (like the A-List stuff, etc.) are a huge no-no, for my tunes. playing keyboards to get more realism in my drum tracks is the best I have right now, but it’s super time-consuming.
Jamstix explained in once sentence since I'm too lazy to press Ctrl+T, Tab, and enter my google search? :D

$(username)

18 Sep 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
17 Sep 2019
I have to say, Propellerhead / Reason Studios are doing a great job of selling Reason 11. When I saw the update I was convinced it wasn't worth the upgrade price for me personally. But I'm coming around with all these little videos they are putting out. some really nice stuff in there. What am I saying?! I'm just a bastard for Reason. Of course I'll upgrade!! I'm like a moth to the flame ............. don't go into the light .............. I can't help it!!!! :shock:
Videos? The most recent videos on Youtube are the Reason 11 announcement videos from several weeks ago.

guitfnky

18 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
18 Sep 2019

Jamstix explained in once sentence since I'm too lazy to press Ctrl+T, Tab, and enter my google search? :D
one sentence, hmm...I’ll try! :lol:

you pick a drumming style and a “drummer”, and it automatically generates realistic drum performances (but allows you to customize anything you need to in the beat) according to the style and drummer selected—additionally preventing you from making the drummer play impossible things (unless you turn that off), so it takes into account the physical constraints of a drummer (2 hands/feet, including time to move a hand/stick or foot from one kitpiece to another), etc.

whew! 😆

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

Hahaha. Thank you :)

guitfnky

18 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
18 Sep 2019
Hahaha. Thank you :)
👍🏼 it does way more than in that sentence, but that gives you the gist. 😅

superpop

18 Sep 2019

If PH ask me, I just want to see in Reason small things like fold/unfold channels, 4K GUI resolution, custom menus/toolbars, a better way to display cables, lock device in rack (to not drag them inadvertently), be able to insert combinators in audio/mix channels, a new combinator, a new mixer RE, and maybe a real SSL mixer colour a least to inspire me, not something like this:

EnochLight

18 Sep 2019

$(username) wrote:
18 Sep 2019

Videos? The most recent videos on Youtube are the Reason 11 announcement videos from several weeks ago.
There’s just short Instagram formatted videos here:

https://www.reasonstudios.com/blog/even ... 11-devices

Proboscis

19 Sep 2019

From the time of the announcement, I was going with a firm 'no' to upgrading. I'm not fuming like some others, and the disappointment from Propellerheads has become part of being in the Reason environment. No sweat, I figure I'll wait it out for R12, and get a good extra bang for the buck. I could live three lifetimes and never learn everything about the possibilities, so there's always something new for me to fool around with when I have a creative block.

However, the past two days, I've been arranging & composing in Reason a lot, and started to think about a few things. What if I could easily do bass slides with nice smooth curved automation ? And arranging MIDI notes, how much does it suck to have to delete previous notes just to try a new one in a phrase, gee wiz if only I could mute notes. And I just set up a template with 8 separate audio outs for drums, but oh how I hate that when I want to expand a section, everything else is maximized.

Therefore, I am being swayed to reconsider my position on not upgrading. The new Rack additions don't have any interest for me, since I don't do much mixing and already own a brilliant Chorus plugin - but the somewhat small but very nice few crumbs of sequencer additions would make things a whole lot easier.

But please, Propellerheads, I BEG YOU, do something about the Combinator labels so that user defined names for each control show in the sequencer ?

Loque

19 Sep 2019

Reading this comment i remember Kong everytime reseting the defined output channels to the Main out if i change something 😅🤣😂😭
Reason12, Win10

antic604

19 Sep 2019

Zac wrote:
18 Sep 2019
I'm currently set on getting R11 Intro and keeping my R10 full (I was going to sell it)...
Are you expecting to have access to devices missing from full v11 via Rack VST, because you have full v10, e.g. Grain, Maelstrom, Synchronous, The Echo? Having those available in Bitwig or Cubase is worth way more - for me, obviously - than the $/eur50 difference between 11 Intro and 10->11 upgrade.

VariableX

19 Sep 2019

Well i'm 100% not upgrading from 10-11.
Its going to be close to $200australian for a few sequencer things and a few novelty effect devices ( this is what they will be for me )
It just doesn't make sense for me, i'm not in the business of giving my money away.
Im not changing DAWs im happy to wait another year or so for R12 which I hope will have allot more value for me. I jumped on Reason at v10 anyway so its not like i don't still have millions of sonic avenues to investigate within it anyway 😀

If they did give me suite for free if i upgrade, I might be tempted ( i own 9 suite devices already )

elMisse

19 Sep 2019

I'll also be waiting for the real improvements. Especially for sequencer/automation etc. There really is a lot to do.
This expensive update has very little to do with stuff we have been discussing here over the years, and it makes me sad.

Proboscis

19 Sep 2019

Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Reading this comment i remember Kong everytime reseting the defined output channels to the Main out if i change something 😅🤣😂😭
not sure I follow what you are trying to communicate. I mean I know about the Kong reference, but what comment reminds you of that, and why ?

Loque

19 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Loque wrote:
19 Sep 2019
not sure I follow what you are trying to communicate. I mean I know about the Kong reference, but what comment reminds you of that, and why ?
Fretshot... Somehow...
Reason12, Win10

Zac

19 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Zac wrote:
18 Sep 2019
I'm currently set on getting R11 Intro and keeping my R10 full (I was going to sell it)...
Are you expecting to have access to devices missing from full v11 via Rack VST, because you have full v10, e.g. Grain, Maelstrom, Synchronous, The Echo? Having those available in Bitwig or Cubase is worth way more - for me, obviously - than the $/eur50 difference between 11 Intro and 10->11 upgrade.
I realise I'll lose Grain/Malstrom etc and not get the new R11 devices in Intro and whilst it's a fine line between the extra £50 being worth it or not for R11 full I really don't need any new modulation devices or the ssl fx.

Because I'm learning Live right now I'm happy to use Grain in 10 and export audio. In fact I'm trying to commit to audio earlier and not have massive chains of devices for longer than necessary.

Live is really changing my view of things and I can't wait to use my REs in it.

The £50 I'll save will come in handy and concentrates my will on breaking my Reason habit ;)

• Information