REs you’ve bought and never used.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

I know there are folk out there who are very discerning over which REs they buy and those people have my utmost respect. What I was wondering though is do you have any REs you’ve bought which you never (or hardly ever) use?
Doesn’t need to be a regret...just something that you wonder “hmmmm...this one. “ about.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

antic604

18 Sep 2019

Most of them :( :oops:

Not because they're bad or anything - I just don't use Reason enough nowadays. This will change though with v11!

boingy

18 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
18 Sep 2019
Most of them :( :oops:
And here be the truth!

My most used Reason instrument is ID8.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

Out of a couple of thousand Euros worth of REs bought over the last 8 or 9 years (or since they started doing them) I’ve got quite a few which I’ve never even looked at which came with Rigs.
Most of the Studio Corbach stuff I’ve never used and bought only because they seemed fun. The ambient ones are brilliant though.
As EVERYONE on this forum probably knows (I’ve said it enough times) the only two regrets out of them all are those DNALabs Romplers. I mean seriously. But this didn’t start as a DNALabs knocking thread. (Even though they’re crap) oops.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dezma

18 Sep 2019

Expanse: I blame avenger VST for this, bought them around the same time. I know expanse sounds good but Avenger just makes it so easy to make better sounds
RP Quad: I like the originality but never got anything useful out of it
Complex 1: i need time to get the hang of this one

Lov2sing

18 Sep 2019

Some I buy to help the developers others I feel I need, but really there are those that make work flow better and others just are not needed. It’s hard to say when you have a lot. It really depends on what project I am working on. Still it is easier to say what are my favorite ones than which ones I don’t use. Many of the free ones get put on the shelf but eventually I will use them too. I love everything I own.
We make music for a reason

loopeydoug

18 Sep 2019

Synchronous. I bought it before it was included. It represents everything wrong with Props-devoloped REs: bringing an element of forward-thinking to the table, and then hamstringing the shit out it with MORE(less) functionality so beginners won't get confused.

antic604

18 Sep 2019

loopeydoug wrote:
18 Sep 2019
Synchronous. I bought it before it was included. It represents everything wrong with Props-devoloped REs: bringing an element of forward-thinking to the table, and then hamstringing the shit out it with MORE(less) functionality so beginners won't get confused.
WHAT?! :shock: :? It's awesome!!!

The only thing really missing there is ability to re-trigger it somehow, e.g. with a MIDI note or CV (although technically you can freeze it at the very beginning of the song and unfreeze where you want it to start looping).

gullum

18 Sep 2019

I've bought way to many that I don't use at all. Last week I re installed mac os and decided only to download the re I use I downloaded 60 out of 160 so that means I have 100 re's I don't use some of them are free once. Guess I could have bought lots of pizzas for the wasted money

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

Aquios.
ChamberTron, Re-Strings and Re-Tron.
Combo Compact Organ and Melodic Glockenspiel.
Boom 808.
Propulsion and Korde.
Many of the Noise Engineering Bundle 2.
EDS06s.
Jackbox 7R and Mercury 4 Voice.
Subboombass.
Granada Retro Synth.
Many Studio Corbachs.

..and these are just the instruments, not even counting the free ones. :(
Sigh.
I'm just glad it's not hardware collecting dust.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

Expanse: I mean I've used it in a couple of times as a preset bank. The thing is I like the synth. It's a great RE. It's just too much for me, too many options, so I almost always choose something more simple to work with instead.
JPS Harmonic Synthesizer: Again I like it. It sounds great. But this one just doesn't seem to fit the type of music I often make.
Faturator: I only use it for the Haas effect, which is very rarely.
Tape Cassette Deck: I just assumed I would like this one so I just bought it straight away, but it turns out I can't get it to work with the rest of the mix. There's always some other effect that fits better.
Efektor WF3607 Wah Filter: Bought it, still haven't used it.
EVE-MP5 Program Equalizer: I just completely forgot about this one.
C1-L1 Vintage Compressor: I like it, I just never use it. FRG Compressor always just seem to work for heavy compression. I'm too lazy to try something new.
RE3Q Six-band Equalizer: GQ-7 works just fine.
PunchBDRE Instrument: I always forget I own this one.
RPDistort Effect: Crapre2 has way better and warmer distortion. Who needs 30 different distortion types when ONE does the trick.
Selig Leveler: I should experiment with this one more. It just doesn't feel intuitive to me so I don't have the patience to work with it.
Iridium Distortion Synth: Cool but too limited in its sound.
Softube FET Compressor: I know everyone loves it. It's alright. It just doesn't seem to fit my music.
P-2 Siberian Halls: I always forget I own this one.

BRIGGS

18 Sep 2019

I only buy REs that I think I'll use. No excuses with the 30 trial. I use all of them. : )
r11s

diminished
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

BRIGGS wrote:
18 Sep 2019
I only buy REs that I think I'll use. No excuses with the 30 trial. I use all of them. : )
One word: Rigs :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

aeox
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

Some of the stuff in Rigs(i've found a use for most of it), but everything else I bought has always been used.

dvdrtldg

18 Sep 2019

Dunno about never used... a lot of my music output involves making themes, stings, atmos beds etc for radio/podcast productions, which means I jump between styles a lot and like to vary the tools. Sometimes I'll set out to make a piece of music based around a particular RE instrument or effect, just as a way of getting to know it better (recently I did something using Vibro wavetable synth, simply because I hadn't touched it for ages). It stops me from getting bored, and from feeling that I've wasted my money on shit I never use. Even those terrible Heavyocity AEON synths get a run from time to time. I do have my go-to favourites, and way too many REs overall, and of course some that I don't use any more because they've been superseded by devices that do a better job (e.g. Steerpike has pretty much replaced Uhbik D). But nothing that's never been used at all

Probably my least-used REs are:

Rob Papen RGRE (nothing wrong with it, I just bought it thinking "Oh cool, I'll probably need some sort of rhythmic guitar module at some point" but I haven't yet)

EDSO6s drum machine (always feel I'm struggling with the UI)

3Plex filter delay (another user-hostile UI)

DG8 Dragon gate (Unfiltered Audio's G8 smokes it)

LeSpace echo (too fiddly for everyday use)

Optic multi channel analyser (cool idea, never seem to need it though)

Steedus
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

ChamberTron comes to mind. I won a copy of Re-Tron back in the day, and thought it was/is a very well put together device and was feeling generous so I blindly bought ChamberTron when it came out, but I have never actually found a use for it.

eiresurfer

19 Sep 2019

I really thought the Quad Note Generator would be a major tool for me. But I can't seem to get it to work like I thought it would, perhaps because I'm not using it properly.

Ochen K's Repeat Looper was something I bought instantly when I saw the demos. But it just doesn't work like I think it should - i.e. like a Boss RC-30 or RC-300 guitar looper. I tried to get it to work with a guitar and a midi foot controller, but it was just too way too fiddly to be of any use. I wish someone would make one that was easy to use with guitars.

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

There is only one Re I regret buying and that is Hydronexius. Always trialled things after buying that.
I am sure I have a few things that came in rigs that I don't use but don't regret them as the rigs were bought whilst on sale and were purchased for the purpose of different synths. Most used rack extension is definitely selig gain.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

Popey wrote:
19 Sep 2019
There is only one Re I regret buying and that is Hydronexius. Always trialled things after buying that.
I am sure I have a few things that came in rigs that I don't use but don't regret them as the rigs were bought whilst on sale and were purchased for the purpose of different synths. Most used rack extension is definitely selig gain.
Yeah. Hydronexius and Aquios seem to be on a lot of people’s regret list. Wonder if anyone’s bought Helium hahaha.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Oquasec

19 Sep 2019

Lithium gets that award.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Popey
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Popey wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Yeah. Hydronexius and Aquios seem to be on a lot of people’s regret list. Wonder if anyone’s bought Helium hahaha.
It certainly has it's own unique sound... and for all I tried I couldn't get that sound to go away 😂😂😂

MarkTarlton

19 Sep 2019

The Kuassa Eve EQ's, Selig Leveler+DeEsser, Uhbiks, KHS One, Skrocks Synths, Dragon Gate and Creme Amp

michael.jaye

19 Sep 2019

Softube's FET compressor.
Noxious.

superpop

20 Sep 2019

Scenic Hybrid Instrument

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2019

michael.jaye wrote:
19 Sep 2019
Softube's FET compressor.
If I may say so, you're missing out. I love it. Hulk smash!

• Information