Behringer Neutron

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Resonator

17 Sep 2019

Last week, I saw the Model D and the Neutron for around that price on Amazon. Not sure if these are no longer in production. But since I own both, I can tell you that they’re worth the money at full price, and definitely a steal at $209.

Resonator

17 Sep 2019

BTW, I gotta recommend the Neutron, Model D, Korg Volca Drum, and the Arturia Beatstep Pro to sequence them all. I’ve been enjoying the workflow from this combo. So it’s worth a mention.

joeyluck

17 Sep 2019

Resonator wrote:
17 Sep 2019
Last week, I saw the Model D and the Neutron for around that price on Amazon. Not sure if these are no longer in production. But since I own both, I can tell you that they’re worth the money at full price, and definitely a steal at $209.
Yeah I'm tempted. But I'm also saving up for some other things. Curious if they are about to release something else, replacing these...

teddymcw

17 Sep 2019

Very tempted but I’ve never seen one in live action.

If I understand correctly, a paraphonic synth with only two oscillators means only two note polyphony max?

I am aware that it’s capable of chaining but my question is directly aimed at a stand alone unit connected to a keyboard.

Resonator

18 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
17 Sep 2019
Resonator wrote:
17 Sep 2019

Yeah I'm tempted. But I'm also saving up for some other things. Curious if they are about to release something else, replacing these...
I was wondering the same. I’m not sure if they’re being discontinued or if retailers are just price dropping for clearance since the Odyssey and the K-2 are on the way. Then there’s the Pro-1 which recently went into full production.

Resonator

18 Sep 2019

teddymcw wrote:
17 Sep 2019

If I understand correctly, a paraphonic synth with only two oscillators means only two note polyphony max?

I am aware that it’s capable of chaining but my question is directly aimed at a stand alone unit connected to a keyboard.
Paraphonic mode will play both oscillators pitched independently when playing more than one note at a time. So it’s 2 notes max. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube to check out, and there’s a lot to explore on the Neutron. I’ve had mine for a year now and I still enjoy it as much as I did then.

teddymcw

20 Sep 2019

Resonator wrote:
18 Sep 2019
teddymcw wrote:
17 Sep 2019

Paraphonic mode will play both oscillators pitched independently when playing more than one note at a time. So it’s 2 notes max. There’s plenty of videos on YouTube to check out, and there’s a lot to explore on the Neutron. I’ve had mine for a year now and I still enjoy it as much as I did then.
Awesome thank you. Inspired and glad to hear that you're meshing with it so well!

Would love to play some jazz chords on these boxes, on top of what their current capabilities are haha

Resonator

20 Sep 2019

teddymcw wrote:
20 Sep 2019
Resonator wrote:
18 Sep 2019

Awesome thank you. Inspired and glad to hear that you're meshing with it so well!

Would love to play some jazz chords on these boxes, on top of what their current capabilities are haha
No problem. The Neutron and the Model D really sound great. Every time I use them. I’m still amazed that I only spent $300 on each. They really do stack up to synths that cost 2-3 times more. The Neutron, Model D, and the K-2 are the top selling synths on Thomann. They’re ahead of Moog and other big names on that list according to what I read this morning. But anyway... $200... don’t pass up on that. I don’t know if the price drop is permanent or temporary. You can always return it if it doesn’t vibe with you.

fieldframe
RE Developer

08 Oct 2019

Just set mine up for the first time this evening and this thing sure does pack a punch. But wow, is it also noisy. There’s an audible hiss when the VCA goes above zero, and turning up the mix on the BBD delay is basically like turning up a second noise oscillator with no gate.

This is only my second analog synth, but by comparison my Monologue has a vastly lower noise floor. Is this normal for the Neutron, or do I have a faulty unit?

Delora Software

08 Oct 2019

fieldframe wrote:
08 Oct 2019
Just set mine up for the first time this evening and this thing sure does pack a punch. But wow, is it also noisy. There’s an audible hiss when the VCA goes above zero, and turning up the mix on the BBD delay is basically like turning up a second noise oscillator with no gate.

This is only my second analog synth, but by comparison my Monologue has a vastly lower noise floor. Is this normal for the Neutron, or do I have a faulty unit?
The high noise floor is part of the Neutron's charm ;) . The BBD delay is noisy (which is normal for that type of analog delay) and you will always have some of the delay in the final output since the delay mix control never makes the output truly dry. You also have to pay attention to your gain staging along the signal paths. The VCA can be noisy if it is not operated with a high enough input level. Just be mindful that it is also possible to overdrive the VCA and cause distortion (which can be a good thing too!). There are a number of places in the default signal path where you can adjust signal level. You will have to explore for a while to find out where the sweet spots are for the type of sound you want to achieve. You also have a lot of flexibility to change the default routing using the patch panel. Some configurations are better for some types of sounds than the default.

One way to completely take the BBD out of the picture is to use the patch panel to tap directly at the VCA output and use that as your audio output. Be careful though as that and the other outputs are pretty hot, +12 dBU to +18 dBU depending on which output.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software
Developer of rsTouch Pro for Reason, and rsRemote for Reason

O1B

11 Oct 2019

Neutron ... Colors... Very Moog Brotherinlaw.

Colors 1.

Colors 2.

kinkujin

11 Oct 2019

Those colors are nice. The Moog-ish second one actually is great - easy to read. Easier than the red of the Neutron (and I don't hate that).

aeox
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2019

Now I want one :D

diminished
Competition Winner

11 Oct 2019

The question is... Neutron, Pro-1, Crave, Model D or K-2??? I already have Repro-1+5 and the Legend. Now that's what I call a first world problem.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

teddymcw

11 Oct 2019

O1B wrote:
11 Oct 2019

Colors 1.
Dang, thems colors is real purdy. Where does one acquire these as a consumer in the physical world? Modulargrid doesn't have a search function that I could see.

Faastwalker

12 Oct 2019

teddymcw wrote:
11 Oct 2019
O1B wrote:
11 Oct 2019

Colors 1.
Dang, thems colors is real purdy. Where does one acquire these as a consumer in the physical world? Modulargrid doesn't have a search function that I could see.
This is one place;

https://www.heinakroon.net/category/neutron-overlays

I think these are some sort of vinyl overlay. Last I checked this guy wasn’t offering metal faceplate option but I’ve seen these for the Neutron elsewhere.

kinkujin

15 Oct 2019

diminished wrote:
11 Oct 2019
The question is... Neutron, Pro-1, Crave, Model D or K-2??? I already have Repro-1+5 and the Legend. Now that's what I call a first world problem.
Hmm, tough question. I'd probably go for the Model D over the Neutron. (i've got both). But the Neutron has more patch points, if that's important to you.

I love the idea of the Pro-1 and can see myself wanting that. But, too many synths and now I'm on austerity. :lol:

Good time to be a synth lover.

teddymcw

15 Oct 2019

Faastwalker wrote:
12 Oct 2019

https://www.heinakroon.net/category/neutron-overlays

I think these are some sort of vinyl overlay. Last I checked this guy wasn’t offering metal faceplate option but I’ve seen these for the Neutron elsewhere.
Thanks!

teddymcw

15 Oct 2019

kinkujin wrote:
15 Oct 2019
diminished wrote:
11 Oct 2019
Hmm, tough question. I'd probably go for the Model D over the Neutron. (i've got both). But the Neutron has more patch points, if that's important to you.

I love the idea of the Pro-1 and can see myself wanting that. But, too many synths and now I'm on austerity. :lol:

Good time to be a synth lover.
Behringer made a cheeky hint at an announcement yesterday "We’re getting close to the big reveal, the most amazing product launch in our 30 year history"
https://twitter.com/Behringer/status/11 ... gr%5Etweet

I did some quick searching and the link below seems like part of what the hint is alluding to, but it's my very thinly educated guess.
http://www.gearjunkies.com/2017/12/behr ... -and-k-20/

EdGrip

15 Oct 2019

FWIW, I might reason that if I have (excellent) soft synth emulations that cover the clean and lush and pure analogue sounds, the niche that I could fill with hardware would be the sounds from the margins and the uncharted waters. The noise and the dirt and the drift and the components pushed too far because you connected a Big Muff across two jack connections that you shouldn't have. Stuff like that, that you can sequence or resample. If it were me.

Re8et
Competition Winner

29 Mar 2020

diminished wrote:
11 Oct 2019
I just found a second hand Neutron at 200$. Tomorrow I'm going to pick it up. Had you got any of those??

diminished
Competition Winner

30 Mar 2020

Re8et wrote:
29 Mar 2020
diminished wrote:
11 Oct 2019
I just found a second hand Neutron at 200$. Tomorrow I'm going to pick it up. Had you got any of those??
The Crave, yes :) Enjoy your Neutron! I'm a little envious. I'm sure you'll have fun with it. :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Re8et
Competition Winner

31 Mar 2020

O1B wrote:
11 Oct 2019

Colors 1.

Colors 2.
:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jun 2020

I don't mind the look of it. If it sounds good, that's all that matters to me. And it does sound good. 🤷‍♂️

kinkujin

30 Jun 2020

The 2nd picture is actually great, it makes the layout much easier to view. Great job Heinakroon.

• Information