R11 mp3 export

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
WeLoveYouToo

10 Sep 2019

i may be late to the party, but didn't MP3 encoders go open-source recently?
is there any reason why R11 isn't including them?

soroc sosta

10 Sep 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
10 Sep 2019
Great question, thanks.

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2019

Now it's me who's offering the workarounds.. hehe, sorry. But - would you guys be interested in a quick tutorial on how to use LAME?
Personally I use CDex (open source, too) so I have a GUI for LAME.

Regarding the licensing: all EU patents have expired in 2012 or so, and 2017 in the US.. and there has always been LAME: http://lame.sourceforge.net/license.txt... so while "it" would be free to use in theory, there's still the question of implementation. Do you license some libraries from Fraunhofer, go the open source route, develop your own encoder (so not worth it at this point)?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Karim
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2019

A question never appeared in those forums. Really...
I tell myself to better not ask 😂
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

dezma

10 Sep 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
10 Sep 2019
I did that through rewire in a grown up DAW. Aaah that's right, they killed rewire.

gullum

10 Sep 2019

but then again is it really exportant to export to mp3? when I submit my songs for digital release they ask for waw or AIFF files
When uploading to Soundcloud you file will be compressed again to their standards and you have the option to upload a waw file so the song gets compressed only once to their standard, instead of you compressing it first to mp3 then they compress one more time.

But of cause their can be legit reasons to export to mp3 I just don't see it

diminished
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
10 Sep 2019
but then again is it really exportant to export to mp3? when I submit my songs for digital release they ask for waw or AIFF files
When uploading to Soundcloud you file will be compressed again to their standards and you have the option to upload a waw file so the song gets compressed only once to their standard, instead of you compressing it first to mp3 then they compress one more time.

But of cause their can be legit reasons to export to mp3 I just don't see it
I'm looking at it the same way, but it'd be a convenience thing for sure. Sometimes you just want to send a small file to someone via mail or have them stored on a pendrive for your car, stuff like that.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

pushedbutton

10 Sep 2019

https://www.audioblog.iis.fraunhofer.co ... s-licenses

I would like mp3 export cos I email drafts to people daily and it's still the fastest way to do it.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

boingy

10 Sep 2019

Of course Reason should offer MP3 export, along with a hatful of other formats. The whole purpose of Reason (or reason of Reason) is to create one or more songs/tunes and we should not be restricted in what form those songs take. I swear if Reason was a word processor it would only offer one page size because "you can use another package if you want to print it smaller/bigger".

Studio One mixdown: 7 different formats.
Cubase mixdown: 8 different formats
Reason mixdown: 2 different formats

And Reason imports MP3 just fine so it's not like there is some purist anti-MP3 thing going on.

reggie1979

10 Sep 2019

What are the two formats? Is one for mac?

I'm only aware of wav here.

boingy

10 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
10 Sep 2019
What are the two formats? Is one for mac?

I'm only aware of wav here.
I haven't checked but I think it does AIF as well as WAV. It certainly used to.

stratatonic

10 Sep 2019

I fully support an mp3 export option. Those of you who don't want it, just ignore it. (whenever it comes...)

submonsterz

10 Sep 2019

Mp3 sucks ..... id rather they spent thier limited time and resources in giving us more usefull lossless compression methods for export .

zoidkirb

10 Sep 2019

Surprise, mp3 export has already been implemented!
Simply fire up r11 rack vst in your favorite daw eg cubase, live, fl studio, studio one etc and export mp3's to your hearts content.

WeLoveYouToo

11 Sep 2019

submonsterz wrote:
10 Sep 2019
Mp3 sucks ..... id rather they spent thier limited time and resources in giving us more usefull lossless compression methods for export .
wav/aiff are already lossless, we don't need flac as much simply becasue if you are exporting to master or upload to a streaming service, you would use wav/aiff

if you need a compressed format, you are likely wanting either smaller filesize, or consumer product compatibility, and mp3 is the standard for consumer listening nowdays.

personally i send mp3's of works in progress to friends to get an opinion or to just share whenever i want it to fit in an email.
and honestly, for every finished wav file i make, i have gone through dozens of mp3s of that same song for emailing/consumer device listening.

way2cool

11 Sep 2019

I want m p3! Its a new thing adding in reason? This one will make it fun for us!! Now I am very exciting for this one

jam-s

11 Sep 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
11 Sep 2019
submonsterz wrote:
10 Sep 2019
wav/aiff are already lossless, we don't need flac as much simply becasue if you are exporting to master or upload to a streaming service, you would use wav/aiff

if you need a compressed format, you are likely wanting either smaller filesize, or consumer product compatibility, and mp3 is the standard for consumer listening nowdays.

personally i send mp3's of works in progress to friends to get an opinion or to just share whenever i want it to fit in an email.
and honestly, for every finished wav file i make, i have gone through dozens of mp3s of that same song for emailing/consumer device listening.
As FLAC is lossless and about half the size of the corresponding wav/aiff it is the best format for keeping your masters around and archived. Also quite alot of distributors allow FLAC uploads thus it also helps in saving time and traffic.

boingy

11 Sep 2019

jam-s wrote:
11 Sep 2019
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
11 Sep 2019

As FLAC is lossless and about half the size of the corresponding wav/aiff it is the best format for keeping your masters around and archived. Also quite alot of distributors allow FLAC uploads thus it also helps in saving time and traffic.
Yep, we'll have FLAC too, please. :D

submonsterz

11 Sep 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
11 Sep 2019
submonsterz wrote:
10 Sep 2019

I choose ogg over mp3 everytime compair the wavforms and size is good too. But id rather better than wav or aiff i want formats such as wav pack etc also superior file sizes in lossless form to standard wav and aiff . I still say mp3 sucks and needs to be outed asap its pants ogg plays on all my devices i own and its so much better than mp3 by a long shot .

boingy

12 Sep 2019

submonsterz wrote:
11 Sep 2019

I choose ogg over mp3 everytime compair the wavforms and size is good too. But id rather better than wav or aiff i want formats such as wav pack etc also superior file sizes in lossless form to standard wav and aiff . I still say mp3 sucks and needs to be outed asap its pants ogg plays on all my devices i own and its so much better than mp3 by a long shot .
Yeah, and Betamax was superior to VHS too. MP3 is universal and will be around pretty much forever and the fact that it keeps being requested tells you that there is a requirement for it, even if you personally don't like it. My cars play MP3s, my TV plays MP3s and the boombox in my sheds plays MP3s. None of them play OGG. Plus, as we stand today you can drag an MP3 file into Reason but you cannot do the same with an OGG.

However, this is not format wars. We could have them all if PH wanted us to. Imagine that! More choice. More flexibility. Why would anyone not want that???? :?:

WeLoveYouToo

12 Sep 2019

jam-s wrote:
11 Sep 2019
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
11 Sep 2019

ok, but that’s a different argument from the one i presented, isn’t it.
i am not debating the superior format for any specific application.
the thing is we have a lossless format which is pretty much universal in wav/aiff exportable by reason but we do not have a universally used compressed format for straight-to consumer devices, the mp3.
archiving has nothing to do with this.

WeLoveYouToo

12 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
12 Sep 2019
submonsterz wrote:
11 Sep 2019

Yeah, and Betamax was superior to VHS too. MP3 is universal and will be around pretty much forever and the fact that it keeps being requested tells you that there is a requirement for it, even if you personally don't like it. My cars play MP3s, my TV plays MP3s and the boombox in my sheds plays MP3s. None of them play OGG. Plus, as we stand today you can drag an MP3 file into Reason but you cannot do the same with an OGG.

However, this is not format wars. We could have them all if PH wanted us to. Imagine that! More choice. More flexibility. Why would anyone not want that???? :?:
oh, you beat me to my own reply, lol

Jagwah

12 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
10 Sep 2019
Now it's me who's offering the workarounds.. hehe, sorry. But - would you guys be interested in a quick tutorial on how to use LAME?
Personally I use CDex (open source, too) so I have a GUI for LAME.

Regarding the licensing: all EU patents have expired in 2012 or so, and 2017 in the US.. and there has always been LAME: http://lame.sourceforge.net/license.txt... so while "it" would be free to use in theory, there's still the question of implementation. Do you license some libraries from Fraunhofer, go the open source route, develop your own encoder (so not worth it at this point)?
Hey CDex is cool I've been using it for years to digitize old CDs I want to listen to, and then end up listening to them more due to the digital convenience, and it's free too!

I hope the issue with MP3 exporting is a licensing issue because it's a pretty small thing to implement and people have been asking for it for years and that's really disheartening.

Oquasec wrote:
12 Sep 2019
The distribution format debate is honestly pretty stupid.
Exporting to mp3 directly from a daw is retarded when you could just convert it afterwards with a much better tool like pazera.
In this day and age it's a pretty simple convenience most would expect. Since I been requested to bounce MP3s I agree with everyone asking for it. I used to defend it in my fanboy haze but I can see clearly now the rain has gone, I can see all obstacles in... you get the picture :)

boingy

12 Sep 2019

Oquasec wrote:
12 Sep 2019
The distribution format debate is honestly pretty stupid.
Exporting to mp3 directly from a daw is retarded when you could just convert it afterwards with a much better tool like pazera.
You're entitled to your views but your use of the word "retarded" is offensive.

miscend

12 Sep 2019

Just get Audacity or Ocenaudio. Problem solved.

• Information