Europa Envelopes - Snap to Grid ?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Proboscis

10 Sep 2019

Is it possible ? I need to draw a bunch of waveforms across several instances of Europa in the Envelopes window. Since most of them will be behaving as a duty cycle at varying pulse rates, it's critical that I have flat lines. Finding it very tough to make that happen. "close enough' is not an option.

Have tried mouse + ctrl, shift, alt, nothing changes the behavior of moving the anchors

mjxl

11 Sep 2019

As far as I know there's no snapping. It's quite managable to place them on the grid though.
IF you can't make it as precise as you want, you could consider using Synchronous.

I'd love to have a device that's a 1:1 copy of Europas envelopes, with snapping and much bigger obviously.

Proboscis

11 Sep 2019

mjxl wrote:
11 Sep 2019
As far as I know there's no snapping. It's quite managable to place them on the grid though.
IF you can't make it as precise as you want, you could consider using Synchronous.

I'd love to have a device that's a 1:1 copy of Europas envelopes, with snapping and much bigger obviously.
Thanks for your response. It's actually very sensitive, quite hard to even make a perfect straight line that maintains a single CV value throughout it's cycle. I dread to think how long it would take me to draw precision waveforms, accurate down to 1 CV unit.

And yes at this very moment I am experimenting with Synchronous for this task, but it requires some external controls that I'm trying to figure out. And the wave grid is also not very user friendly, but better than Europa. It's a shame that the drawing tools of Synchronous are not also in the Europa envelope section.

I agree with you, what would be really great is to have a dedicated device with many (I'm talking a hundred or more) user defined, importable or user-drawable waveforms with grid snapping that can be scrolled though as is possible with Europa's env1 - 4

mjxl

11 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
11 Sep 2019
Thanks for your response. It's actually very sensitive, quite hard to even make a perfect straight line that maintains a single CV value throughout it's cycle. I dread to think how long it would take me to draw precision waveforms, accurate down to 1 CV unit.

And yes at this very moment I am experimenting with Synchronous for this task, but it requires some external controls that I'm trying to figure out. And the wave grid is also not very user friendly, but better than Europa. It's a shame that the drawing tools of Synchronous are not also in the Europa envelope section.

I agree with you, what would be really great is to have a dedicated device with many (I'm talking a hundred or more) user defined, importable or user-drawable waveforms with grid snapping that can be scrolled though as is possible with Europa's env1 - 4
There are a couple of devices in the shop that you could consider buying:

Shape by LectricPanda, very powerful modulator with 5 instances of 1 waveform:
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... fo-editor/

SideChain ReAction Enveloper, 4 seperate waveforms that can be triggered individually:
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... enveloper/

Frame, 6 waveforms that can be triggered via MIDI (all at once, not individually)
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... generator/

KRON, super overpowered CV device (i don't own it, so can't really judge it)
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... sion/kron/

SCRE is (imo) very powerful, and should do everything you want.

chimp_spanner

11 Sep 2019

There’s also a preset shape in the envelope section that’s like a S&H. You can use this as a starting point for tempo sync’d patterns by using the vertical-only button, and removing points to create ramps and what not. Not ideal but it’s sometjing!

Proboscis

11 Sep 2019

chimp_spanner wrote:
11 Sep 2019
There’s also a preset shape in the envelope section that’s like a S&H. You can use this as a starting point for tempo sync’d patterns by using the vertical-only button, and removing points to create ramps and what not. Not ideal but it’s something!
Goddamnit, I've spend four hours redesigning the routing (since there's no mod matrix) for Synchronous instead :lol:

Just tried your suggestion on the Y-Axis, and am loving it. Did not previously see the value in this tool, but was likely using it on curves, not square waves. That's a great tip to know about, and will be used a lot in the future. Thanks !

Proboscis

11 Sep 2019

mjxl wrote:
11 Sep 2019
There are a couple of devices in the shop that you could consider buying:
They look like great tools. For what I'm working on, the aim is for native plugins only, not even freebies if I can help it. But I've bookmarked those links for further investigation.

The cheapest one on that list looks the best in my opinion (not that it's a huge selling point) and I'm sure I could delay the onset of each envelope output. That's for another time though, I'm already waist-deep in the murky world of CV to have my attention diverted any more than it already is :lol:

• Information