POLL: How much would you pay for Mobile Reason? (and what would you like to see/or not see implemented?

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

How much for mobile Reason?

1 - up to 19.99
14
8%
2 --20 - 24.99
4
2%
3 - 25 -29.99
12
7%
4 - 30 - 39.99
7
4%
5 - 40 - 49.99
8
5%
6 - over 50
13
8%
7 - not remotely interested
109
65%
 
Total votes: 167
User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2170
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 07 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
07 Feb 2018
Doing Reason for mobile devices would mean the whole UI needs to be reworked (like Thor above). As is, all the knobs, buttons and sliders even blown up to full screen are too close to each other. Also the sequencer would need a whole dedicated system to input and edit MIDI, audio and automation.

Considering how eager and willing Props have been to update the UI for desktop Reason, I wouldn't count on it. Unless they want to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and that's an interesting thought. I imagine it's quite possible to design a hybrid bitmap-vector UI, that (obviously) scales to size and also can define spacing between elements, dynamically creating tabs/pages for finer control. That's a huge undertaking, but one that would make sense going forward (and would explain lack of UI updates so far).
Well it's true that any advancements they make with the UI for iOS would probably need to carry over to the desktop version. So if they're working on such a thing (and this is all just speculation/fantasy stuff atm anyway!) then working on one would benefit the other. But who knows! I mean I'm still getting by okay with the UI, although I can only imagine what a retina or 4k display is like haha. I'm only 33, turning 34 soon but my eyes are getting pretty bad. Hell even this text is a bit blurry :D
Enjoy!

http://www.paulortizmusic.com

2017 MBP | 16GB | Steinberg UR44 | Reason 10.4 | Cubase Pro 10.5

chaosroyale
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 07 Feb 2018

stratatonic wrote:
06 Feb 2018
chaosroyale wrote:
02 Feb 2018
I already HAVE "Mobile Reason" AKA Reason installed on an ultraportable PC/tablet.
I'm guessing Reason things look mighty cramped on your ultra.
It has a 15 inch bezel-less 4k display and weighs practically nothing, so it looks fine and is more than portable enough.

More importantly, why would I want Props to spend their time making "mobile" reason have a new resizeable GUI if they could just make a new resizeable GUI for actual Reason?

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1042
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 07 Feb 2018

chimp_spanner wrote:
07 Feb 2018
I'm on the fence. I've spent a lot of time (and money) on the iPad as a music platform. I thought I'd be able to use it as a truly mobile studio, but app switching is still a nightmare, true multi-tasking still feels impossible (especially since they ruined split screen mode in the last update) and the lack of a proper file system makes working with even a single file between programs almost impossible. I remember once trying to save a WAV file from freesound.org onto my iPad to use in a drum sampler in Gadget. 45 minutes I spent on it before I gave up and realised that I could've done the same thing in about 10 seconds on my laptop. These days I use the iPad like a piece of hardware. It runs its own audio interface for MIDI and Audio I/O with my laptop's interface and then I sample individual sounds or beats directly into Reason. As a writing and recording environment...can't say I've managed to do a damn thing with it.

Now....while this all sounds pretty negative, it's actually the strongest case for Reason on iOS. Because it'd be the single most comprehensive and powerful package out there. Every app seems to have "bits" that I like. Garageband has some cool "smart" instruments but the FX section sucks and I don't like the sequencer. Cubasis has a decent sequencer but awful built in instruments and file management. Gadget has great instruments but a lousy sequencer. And the only way to incorporate all the bits you do like into one project is to use something like Audiobus or AUM, which in itself presents even more problems, getting apps to state-save and sync properly. If PH were somehow able to give us just the current core set of instruments and effects (and if they can do that, surely RE wouldn't be impossible) then it'd render every other app I own pretty much useless, because there's just no other way to get audio and MIDI talking between multiple apps as easily as using it all inside one.

So that's kinda where I am. My negative experience of iOS music making basically boils down to the fact that there just isn't anything as good as Reason on it. If I could start an idea on the sofa or the train or in bed, press a button and have that project sent over to Reason 10 for later...yo sign me up!
I agree with pretty much everything you say. I haven't spent a huge amount of time composing on an iPad other than Garageband, but when I did experiment with other apps, the limitations and mickey mouse patchwork routing were pretty frustrating.

It would be great to have that one app that did it all. Personally, I think GarageBand currently is the closest of all - mainly because of the integration with Logic Pro X. If I record a vocal track, for example, into iOS Garageband, that track in Logic has the channel strip already set up with the EQ, compression, pitch correction, drive etc plugins enabled and ready to go.

Of course, iOS GB works especially well if you have Logic Pro X - which Windows users don't have. So the production stops with the mobile version for those folks.

I would love to have a Reason mobile that integrates well with desktop version. I've had it with learning more software - I have better things to do with my time. I already know Reason, so the learning curve should be minimal.

That said, if I HAVE to upgrade to the latest version of Reason all the time to export Reason files out, I'll probably pass on Reason mobile. I like desktop Reason, but I am not going to constantly upgrade to every single Reason new desktop version that comes out.
Last edited by stratatonic on 07 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1042
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 07 Feb 2018

chaosroyale wrote:
07 Feb 2018
I already HAVE "Mobile Reason" AKA Reason installed on an ultraportable PC/tablet.
stratatonic wrote:
06 Feb 2018
I'm guessing Reason things look mighty cramped on your ultra.
It has a 15 inch bezel-less 4k display and weighs practically nothing, so it looks fine and is more than portable enough.
Sounds great...what model do you have?

chaosroyale
Posts: 249
Joined: 05 Sep 2017

Post 07 Feb 2018

stratatonic wrote:
07 Feb 2018
Sounds great...what model do you have?
It's the latest Dell XPS15, if you get the maxed out version it will run Audio and Video production software pretty well. However I hesitate to recommend it to others too easily because I have heard some horror stories on the internet about Dells quality control issues. I got lucky and mine works perfectly, but I've heard about screens going blank, booting issues and so on. If you have a dealer who can instantly replace a "lemon", it would be worthwhile. Possibly a more reliable option is the new Razer Blade. Very similar specs but as I recall it is a little heavier and bigger with only a 14 inch screen and a big bezel, plus it has that stupid glowing green logo (the Dell logo is also pretty crappy but it's easier to cover up if you want to).

User avatar
Faastwalker
Posts: 1529
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 07 Feb 2018

I'm surprised by the percentage of votes for 'not remotely interested'. I've always thought an iPad / Tablet Propellerhead App that can create Reason files (for all intents & purposes a sort of cutdown, mobile Reason / sketch-pad) would be a cool thing to have. I thought it seemed likely as well since Propellerhead have advertised for mobile developers on a number of occasions. But as people have said, if you have a laptop you're already mobile. So maybe an iPad Reason would be somewhat superfluous to requirements overall. But it's something I'd be very interested to see all the same.

User avatar
motuscott
Posts: 1586
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: the new york

Post 08 Feb 2018

My phone is android so that's not going to happen.
A little workflow work, Flo. If you nom sain.
Sometimes a cigar is just a synth that's on fire

User avatar
syncanonymous
Posts: 368
Joined: 16 Mar 2015
Location: UK and France

Post 08 Feb 2018

I’d only really want to send midi out to hardware...and using Reason workflow I know well would be well worth 50+ currency units...I have no interest in Mobile Reason as a sound generation device.

For sound generation and playing live on ipad, Figure is a lot of fun...the big problem with Figure is the sound sets. Sounds on Garage Band are more MOR and I agree, the sequencer isn’t my cup of joe...The custom chord possibilities on Garage Band is pretty cool and so are the various ways to play instruments. Thing is...none of these tablet apps feel like serious work can be done...it is for compositional sketching and live jamming and having fun...like a dictation recorder...

I was given an ipad mini 2 as a gift 3 years ago and when it dies, I will HAVE TO buy another one, same day...I use it that much...smartphone I could live without...ipad is a requirement. That said, the Reason Mobile UI is gonna hafta be clever...that’s why Figure is so good...sparse UI and some deep thought gone into playing instruments. There are no tiny dials or controls, easy to read for everybody...and very easy to manipulate live.

I would plunk down 300 currency units to be able to see two Reason sequencer lanes at the same time in Edit Mode...IMO that is the single biggest time waster in Reason for serious arranging.

Does any Reason user believe their REs will be available to their tablet at the same time as their home computer? No chance...you gonna hafta log in and manage licenses. Seems to me Propellerhead should make a better Figure or Figure+ Reason hybrid on mobile platform and stick to improving Reason on computer for serious work.

BassmanJ
Posts: 15
Joined: 05 Mar 2018
Location: Oregon, United States

Post 07 Mar 2018

ltbrunt00 wrote:
06 Feb 2018
I would love to use a Reason companion interface tool that would use a tablet as an controller for reason. Sort of like Studio one or Fruity loops. Or a reason virtual controller like the Ableton push.
Now, *this* I would pay for! But as for a mobile version of Reason...I dunno, maybe it's because I have an Android and I'm not crazy-confident that I'll be catered to like an Apple customer (Amplitube has left me pretty disillusioned on that front), and maybe it's because I've used Caustic longer than I've used Reason and would probably just stick with that for idea sketching while I'm away from my computer, but I just don't see myself using it much.

User avatar
Aosta
Posts: 290
Joined: 26 Jun 2017

Post 08 Mar 2018

I use Korg Gadget on the ipad and it is brilliant. I would love to see reason alongside it.
Tend the flame

User avatar
MusicianX
Posts: 58
Joined: 15 Jul 2016

Post 08 Mar 2018

FlowerSoldier wrote:
02 Feb 2018
I would pay them $25 to introduce Shift+Click to select multiple mixer faders, add track folders, and add text input to set values.
Couldn't agree more

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 1934
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 08 Mar 2018

A mobile Reason fully compatible with Ableton Push (or something similar) would be a no-brainer to me.
---

User avatar
tumar
Posts: 328
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 08 Mar 2018

I have Thor on iPad, it just one synth but uncomfortably to use on multiple screens. I can't even imagine to struggle with whole Reason on mobile device. Don't forget underpowered mobile cpus. What for?

User avatar
MannequinRaces
Posts: 1086
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 08 Mar 2018

Not interested in a hobbled mobile version of Reason. Would rather see development focused on the core program itself.

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 704
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 08 Mar 2018

I'd like to see a mobile version of Reason that's focused on performance and collaboration, but is also file-compatible with desktop Reason. Something to sketch and jam with that you can then take home and finish your track in desktop Reason, or something where you can set up arrangements on your computer at home and then play clips and tweak macros on mobile.

(Ok, this is just another way of saying I want a clip launcher in Reason.)
Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
kuhliloach
Posts: 635
Joined: 09 Dec 2015

Post 08 Mar 2018

I chose option 2. I have a sweet spot in my heart for the iOS audio platform featuring Audioshare, Audiobus, AUM, and GarageBand as the core tools. KORG Gadget is a phenomenon, a "killer-app" (like Procreate) good enough by itself to justify buying an iPad just for that app. Props should use this as an opportunity to innovate and carry the new developments across to the desktop version, integrating, syncing, and even controlling. I've had my eye on Caustic for iOS for a while, which looks like Reason, but my hands are already full with great music apps.

User avatar
stratatonic
Posts: 1042
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: CANADA

Post 10 Sep 2019

Considering Fab Filter and Eventide have some pricier apps on iOS lately, I think Propellerhead will be shooting for the higher dollar bracket with a Reason iPad version. I wonder if they would go higher than Gadget?

reggie1979
Posts: 965
Joined: 11 Apr 2019

Post 10 Sep 2019

Wakey wakey :lol:

I though this was new, voted (I wasn't around when it started) and then saw a feature request that has already been added.

As far as Reason Mobile is concerned, I probably wont use it but I can see others wanting it.

User avatar
gullum
Posts: 524
Joined: 15 Jan 2015
Location: Faroe Islands

Post 10 Sep 2019

most certainly if there was a mobile reason that somehow integrated into Desktop Reason. You could make an ide on the iPad then import to reason, but now you add more tracks and some RE's and build on the ide, now you go on vacation for 2 weeks and bring you iPad but you can't continue to work on the ide because now it is not compatible with iPad version of Reason. so, in the long run, you would just bring a laptop with full reason.

ltbrunt00
Posts: 415
Joined: 10 Jan 2017

Post 10 Sep 2019

I am a Reason fanboy and have no interest in mobile(phone) platforms. Maybe I am old school but to me buying a cheap laptop for mobile DAW work is what I call being mobile.

But

If they built a large tablet that was fully integrated with Reason would be quite interesting. Unfortunately when it comes to any hardware I upgrade my computers to get better performance from Reason. After using Reason on multiple big screens makes trying to use these Reason synths on phones sort of annoying.

But

The Holy Grail would if the Props created a scaled back version of Reason that I could run in a web browser. This would not replace the thick client but allow me to spend a good portion of my day at work creating music.
Reason, Studio 1 & Bitwig
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

User avatar
sequence
Posts: 23
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 10 Sep 2019

Seems that most here haven't use Korg Gadget... I have it and I do a lot on it !!
I have my iPad with me most of the time so I create anywhere!!

I had been wanting to get something like this for a long time, I thought Reason Compact was going to evolve into this, but still waiting.
I would love to have a Redrum (or Kong with Drum Sequencer), a few synths like maybe Parsec, Europa, and some of the basic devices like reverb, delay, comp, and eq.

And the ability to send your project to the Desktop reason to further work any song you started on the iPad...

Then I would drop Gadget ... but doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon :(

User avatar
Jagwah
Posts: 1556
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 10 Sep 2019

Well if most Reason users don't want this and if history is any indicator I assume Reason mobile will be the focus of the next major release, and Reason itself can have a few scraggly features added with some devices we already have well covered in our arsenal.

User avatar
way2cool
Posts: 60
Joined: 29 Aug 2019

Post 11 Sep 2019

I dont want making musics in my telephone, it is to small I need a big screen to view an good strong machine for handle such job

Easywork
Posts: 11
Joined: 27 Jul 2019

Post 11 Sep 2019

JRJulius wrote:
02 Feb 2018
Thor for iPad has an amazing keyboard design so I would love to see a mobile Reason — provided they treated it more like a big collection of instruments than a full-fledged mobile DAW.

Give us most of R10’s instruments, a basic sequencer with Figure-style pattern definition, the Thor keyboard, Kong pads, and keep the focus on playability. Korg Gadget is too focused on the sequencer (IMO — onscreen keys are tiny) and GarageBand doesn’t offer enough control over the sound (IMO — it’s all based on presets and Smart Controls). Propellerheads has serious goldilocks potential, and most of the pieces are already on iOS. They just need to put everything together.

I would also settle for MIDI Out from Thor iOS. It’s a really good touchscreen keyboard.
I agree.
Many people will want to stick to traditional desktop applications. Many won’t. And I’m not talking about younger people either. I’m not young, but I make almost all my initial ideas in Figure or Compact (sometimes GarageBand but rarely). Then import over to Reason desktop for the full treatment. This was always a pain until Reason 10 allowed for transfer from Compact. Figure is still a pain. PH/RS need to simplify and join up their mobile and desktop strategies. They have to be compatible, and shouldn’t be mutually exclusive. Ignoring mobile altogether wouldn’t be smart, IMHO.

User avatar
Raveshaper
Posts: 1079
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 11 Sep 2019

I would like to see them implement more customer driven planning, market research, and a focused road map toward well defined goals.

A lot less of throwing darts everywhere hoping to hit a board and a lot more of locating the board first followed by practiced throwing.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: dezma, Italophile, PGR, Yandex [Bot] and 5 guests