Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aecue

10 Sep 2019

In my opinion the Reason 11 Update is a great thing. Its not for everyone a great Update but for me especially the Suite Version.
I Use reason 10.4 without any REs and the Suite Version + the little Updates and the new few devices will be very usefull for me.

Many of you dont like the Update but its fine. For me the Suite update is a big thing and dont forgett the next point Updates.

I also thought Reason is a sinking ship and wanted to switch to bitwig.
But after couple of days working on the Bitwig demo, I realized how much I miss Reason.
Bitwig is expensive and reason offers much more for the money.

Reason is for me a fine funny tool to make my musik.

let's just update and look forward to future releases :)

DougalDarkly

10 Sep 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Jagwah

10 Sep 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
10 Sep 2019
Jagwah wrote:
09 Sep 2019
That reasonably new popular term 'If you don't like it just don't buy it' is so incredibly stupid it hurts my soul.
Why? Surely there are 2 reasonable, sensible responses to the update:

1 - I like it (the upgrade, the price, the prospects) and WILL upgrade;
2 - I don't like it (the upgrade, the price, the prospects) and WILL NOT upgrade.

You realise that RS are going to judge whether they've done 'the right thing' with this update/direction on SALES right? If they launch the new version and the figures match expectations, they know they got it right.

You can't seriously think that all you need to do is keep complaining? That RS are reading your comments and making their business decisions based on them?

It seems to me that the only incredibly stupid response would be:

3 - I don't like it (the upgrade, the price, the prospects) and WILL upgrade anyway, continuing to vent my frustration at RS on a forum, hoping they'll change their entire approach to their product at some point in the future.

If you think about it (MARRRRRRRRR) 'If you don't like it just don't buy it' is THE ONLY mechanism you have as a customer to 'make them listen' to your woes.
Hell no.

You are speaking as if the phrase that was used and I complained about is 'vote with your wallet.' It certainly wasn't, and the two have different meanings. The sentiment with 'if you don't like it just don't buy it' is 'just look the other way and stop being involved in the issue,' nothing to do with voting with your wallet.

I also disagree that there are only two sensible responses to the update, hence people complaining for quite legitimate reasons about something they are invested in.

I also don't 'think' what you are insinuating I think in your comment, that's quite rude actually.

I also strongly disagree with your last point, there are official feedback channels and actual discussions with Props here that influence the direction of the software as well.

Each to their own.

boingy

10 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
09 Sep 2019
That reasonably new popular term 'If you don't like it just don't buy it' is so incredibly stupid it hurts my soul.
If you don't like it just don't read it.

(Sorry. I couldn't resist. At least I didn't prefix it with "Now, I'm bit being funny but...")

DougalDarkly

10 Sep 2019

Deleted

Miguel da Wu

10 Sep 2019

for me it´s a great update, because i update from 9.5 and i have only the radical keys from the Suite Version. so i get many stuff for 249€
but i understand the people with Reason 10. a reasonable price would be €49.
I would recommend to anyone always skipping a version

Iggster

10 Sep 2019

To all the doomsayers and other so-called business analysts!...

Have you ever heard of the number one rule in investment… Don’t Put All Your Eggs In One Basket?

Whilst this upgrade might not be everyone’s cup of tea, it doesn’t suggest that this company is now doomed and is about to go bust! On the contrary, the company is branching out into a bigger market! Apart from a couple of examples (Balance and Rebirth – and I wouldn’t be surprised if Rebirth makes a comeback in a new guise!) all these new spin off apps, etc provide an additional revenue stream to sustain growth and so does the new VST version of Reason.

I do agree with those of you that say this could’ve been done as a point update, perhaps at V11.5 after we get some of the new features we’ve all dreamed about, but I do believe these features will come and by doing it this way, it ensures that the company is even more profitable and more likely to be around in years to come to give us all the features we’re after!

Also noting that information on the company structure has already been posted – is it not a case that the annual accounts are also publicly available to put your minds at rest regarding the profitability of the company?

Aecue

10 Sep 2019

I think developers are breaking many features for Reason 12 version. for the 20th anniversary

Spaceship

10 Sep 2019

GRIFTY wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Is the non-reason-forum reaction to this update as bad as it is here? What does the rest of the computer-music world think about it?
There is a 300+ page post on the KVR forums as well. Mixed reactions.

EnochLight

10 Sep 2019

Spaceship wrote:
10 Sep 2019
GRIFTY wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Is the non-reason-forum reaction to this update as bad as it is here? What does the rest of the computer-music world think about it?
Huh? 300 pages?!! Are we looking at the same forum?

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=530717
300.jpg
300.jpg (37.95 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

stratatonic

10 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
10 Sep 2019
Spaceship wrote:
10 Sep 2019

Huh? 300 pages?!! Are we looking at the same forum?

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopi ... 7&t=530717

300.jpg

300 pages? Scotty would have curled into a fetal position sucking his thumb if that was the case :lol:

And I'm sure Spaceship means posts - it's what he wrote. We can all figure it out - even if he slipped in page.

fieldframe
RE Developer

10 Sep 2019

Quartet and Sweeper may be "only two new devices," but looking at these screenshots, you can see it's really more like seven. If Reason Studios had really wanted to stretch this one out, they could have made them separate phaser, flanger, filter, chorus, BBD, FFT, and grain devices! Packing them all into two may not sound as impressive in a spec list, but they are clearly more powerful devices than they initially appear.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2019

fieldframe wrote:
10 Sep 2019
Quartet and Sweeper may be "only two new devices," but looking at these screenshots, you can see it's really more like seven. If Reason Studios had really wanted to stretch this one out, they could have made them separate phaser, flanger, filter, chorus, BBD, FFT, and grain devices! Packing them all into two may not sound as impressive in a spec list, but they are clearly more powerful devices than they initially appear.
Yep. A developer could easily sell them as seperate devices for 20 bucks each or more, or possibly make a bundle of them and sell it for 99 bucks.

They look way more interesting than I thought when Propellerhead first announced them. I understand they wanted to focus mostly on the rack as VST aspect of this upgrade.
They really didn't "sell" these 2 devices to us that well. But maybe more videos will come that show them off better.

sdst
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2019

Reason 11 looks a better update than Reason 10, I don't even remember the Reason 10 update
vst was in Reason 9

GRIFTY

10 Sep 2019

well vst was 9.5. i only bought 10 to get 9.5, I was honestly pretty happy on 7 for the longest time. IMO 8 was the worst update (before this one).

jam-s

10 Sep 2019

owlymane wrote:
27 Aug 2019
mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Are VST3 platform independent then? I thought VSTs had to be specifically build for a platform architecture (i.e. Windows, MacOS etc). Is that not the case with VST3?
No not platform independant. I mean if you use it standalone then you'll be using the official Reason, which I don't think works on Linux.

Whatever DAW you're using on Linux, if it handles VST3. Then I'm guessing there are high chances you could be using it on Linux. That's pretty cool actually...
It will most likely break due to codemeter copy protection for the VST. (I strongly expect the Reason VST to use this as well.)

EnochLight

10 Sep 2019

stratatonic wrote:
10 Sep 2019
300 pages? Scotty would have curled into a fetal position sucking his thumb if that was the case :lol:

And I'm sure Spaceship means posts - it's what he wrote. We can all figure it out - even if he slipped in page.
LOL!!! Aint that the truth. THEINTRANCER would not be entranced. :puf_bigsmile: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That said, the OP said "There is a 300+ page post on the KVR forums as well." Aint no thang, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

boingy

10 Sep 2019

jam-s wrote:
10 Sep 2019
... codemeter copy protection for the VST. (I strongly expect the Reason VST to use this as well.)
They have already said that the Rack VST will use the same protection as Reason. I suspect they learned the lesson from the Europa VST. Not sure what protection it used but it was cracked in the first few weeks.

I'd not really thought of it before now but the Rack VST is probably going to attract a lot more effort from the bad-pirate-cracking-dudes than Reason itself does.

hurricane
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2019

Aecue wrote:
10 Sep 2019
let's just update and look forward to future releases :)
Yeah, ok Niklas Agevik! ;)
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

SB1

10 Sep 2019

Most of what I am thinking of this release has been stated already in this thread and I hope that Props takes these criticisms to heart. Don't get me wrong, it is awesome to use it as a VST in other DAWs but we need the sequencer updated ffs. High res GUI, 32bit Float, MP3, Video, VST3, updated stock devices, and countless other improvements that have been mentioned. Those of us that want to solely use Reason as a DAW have been let down for too long and I think this release is just the tipping point for many of us. They have been trying to keep us in this walled garden for too long while dangling a carrot we never get to eat. I have been demoing every other DAW on the market (I used to use Cubase/Live before) and will purchase the standard update to not lose Rack Extensions but once I get used to workflow in another I probably won't be back and can see myself using Reason less and less as I figure out how to do the things I need to in a new DAW. Seems like they gave up on their DAW and we probably should too.
:reason: :re: :refill:

spencer335

10 Sep 2019

spencer335 wrote:
04 Sep 2019
Is there any way that the rack plugin could work with Komplete Kontrol, which does not host VST3? Are there any bridge-type programs that could host the VST3 as a wrapper (for the KK wrapper)?

I'd love to make some Nektar-style templates for the different Reason synths ...
This question got lost in the shuffle, but I was able to find my own answer!

VST3 support for Komplete Kontrol is "coming soon", so I'll be able to use the keyboard as I'd hoped before too long (and get the Nektar P1 off my desk).

https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... ol.360787/

Proboscis

11 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
09 Sep 2019
That reasonably new popular term 'If you don't like it just don't buy it' is so incredibly stupid it hurts my soul. It DOES NOT apply to any situation you add it to, and it is actually an incredibly ignorant thing to say in most situations. I can come up with great analogies but I'm not going to. When someone uses it I like to imagine them with a large cigar hanging out their mouth like Al Capone and every sentence they speak ends in 'MARRRRRRRRRRRRR I"M RIGHT YOU SEE MARRRRRRRRRRR!'

People who lack the emotional maturity to realize that this is a software update, not a doctor advising that he's severing a limb. Your life, your career and your music will not change one little bit if you don't upgrade, or if you do upgrade but spend the next two years whining about it like a small child who didn't get a second scoop of icecream. If people have trouble making music or designing sound with the current iteration of Reason, then the problem lies with the user, and not the software's lack of new feature rollouts. There are plenty of things wrong in the world today, and to focus on something as insignificant as what's lacking in Reason 11, what the new CEO is up to, or any other trivialities relating to Propellerheads is.... well to use your very term.... incredibly stupid. :roll:

Jagwah

11 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
11 Sep 2019
Jagwah wrote:
09 Sep 2019
That reasonably new popular term 'If you don't like it just don't buy it' is so incredibly stupid it hurts my soul. It DOES NOT apply to any situation you add it to, and it is actually an incredibly ignorant thing to say in most situations. I can come up with great analogies but I'm not going to. When someone uses it I like to imagine them with a large cigar hanging out their mouth like Al Capone and every sentence they speak ends in 'MARRRRRRRRRRRRR I"M RIGHT YOU SEE MARRRRRRRRRRR!'

People who lack the emotional maturity to realize that this is a software update, not a doctor advising that he's severing a limb. Your life, your career and your music will not change one little bit if you don't upgrade, or if you do upgrade but spend the next two years whining about it like a small child who didn't get a second scoop of icecream. If people have trouble making music or designing sound with the current iteration of Reason, then the problem lies with the user, and not the software's lack of new feature rollouts. There are plenty of things wrong in the world today, and to focus on something as insignificant as what's lacking in Reason 11, what the new CEO is up to, or any other trivialities relating to Propellerheads is.... well to use your very term.... incredibly stupid. :roll:
It's as if you are addressing everyone here who is complaining but aiming it at me.
I don't like that term like I said, I don't know how that relates to what you are ranting about.
Guess I will keep these things to myself more as it seems to ruffle feathers and cause people to be quite rude.

DougalDarkly

11 Sep 2019

Deleted

Jagwah

11 Sep 2019

DougalDarkly wrote:
11 Sep 2019
Jagwah wrote:
11 Sep 2019
It's as if you are addressing everyone here who is complaining but aiming it at me.
I don't like that term like I said, I don't know how that relates to what you are ranting about.
Guess I will keep these things to myself more as it seems to ruffle feathers and cause people to be quite rude.
People (3 so far) have responded DIRECTLY to the tone of YOUR comment - you characterised people who have used a term you don't like (like me) as 'incredibly stupid', 'incredibly ignorant' and compared us to Al Capone - I think you may mean James Cagney (the actor), because Al Capone was a mass-murdering criminal?

As for 'ruffled feathers' - you claimed that people commenting 'hurt your soul'!

THIS is why you got the responses you got - because YOU were rude.
I didn't want to target anyone directly which is why I just ranted without quoting. I do passionately hate that phrase and I do believe it to be incredibly stupid and ignorant and I see it thrown around way too much. I actually read the phrase in this thread when I wasn't logged in and didn't notice who it was that said it.

I think I got used to having lots of people here that I've been conversing with for many years, and I've started using the forum more like a personal soundboard to voice too many of my thoughts. I did learn a lesson here so there's that at least.

You are right, I was out of line and I'm really sorry I in effect targeted you in my rude rant. I'm sure you aren't even remotely stupid or ignorant or anything like a murdering criminal.

• Information