Summing/splitting Filter with crossover?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Octopusbird

30 Aug 2019

Do anyone use a filter that has at least two inputs that can split them via a crossover?

Like- one audio input being split with another audio with a crossover filter? (One input is cut at 500 and is split with another one that goes from 500 up)

What do you use for that? I'm sure I could rig something up, but I'd like to have a plugin for it to make it nice and clean.

Loque

30 Aug 2019

I would use just 2 filters, 1 LPF and 1 HPF. Put it in a Combinator and you are done.
Reason12, Win10

boingy

30 Aug 2019

Octopusbird wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Do anyone use a filter that has at least two inputs that can split them via a crossover?

Like- one audio input being split with another audio with a crossover filter? (One input is cut at 500 and is split with another one that goes from 500 up)

What do you use for that? I'm sure I could rig something up, but I'd like to have a plugin for it to make it nice and clean.
Can you be a bit more specific about what you want to do?
What are your two input signals?
Do you want to combine them (equally?) then split the resulting signal by frequency?

Spaceship

31 Aug 2019

You can build any kind of filter you want in Reaktor.

Octopusbird

08 Sep 2019

I’m looking for a filter that takes 2 inputs and merges into 1 via a crossover frequency

I know I can do it with 2 filters (hp and lp and combine) but I wanted to know if y’all know of another way

selig
RE Developer

08 Sep 2019

You can’t use just any to high pass and low pass filter’s for this affect to be smooth. You need to use two complementary filters, such as are found in the Stereo Imager, and then control them from a Combinator so that one knob controls both crossovers. Make sense?
I’m not aware of an RE that does this, though I wouldn’t be surprised if there were VSTs.
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

08 Sep 2019

why couldn’t you just use the returns on a Yoko? use two sets of the return inputs, putting one signal into either the low or high return, and the other into the mid return.

then just use the appropriate knob on the front to adjust the crossover frequency...what am I missing?
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

selig
RE Developer

08 Sep 2019

I think what the OP is describing is something that was built in an old thread over at the old PUF (or maybe here, I'm not sure). It's basically a crossfader crossover!
Works well with two different drum loops, tapping the lows from one and the highs from the other - sweeping the crossover gives very interesting results, depending on the sources of course.

Turning the crossover all the way either direction gives you one input or the other.
Basically this, if I'm not mistaken:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpiskyzf2dx4t ... b.zip?dl=0
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

08 Sep 2019

selig wrote:
08 Sep 2019
I think what the OP is describing is something that was built in an old thread over at the old PUF (or maybe here, I'm not sure). It's basically a crossfader crossover!
Works well with two different drum loops, tapping the lows from one and the highs from the other - sweeping the crossover gives very interesting results, depending on the sources of course.

Turning the crossover all the way either direction gives you one input or the other.
Basically this, if I'm not mistaken:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpiskyzf2dx4t ... b.zip?dl=0
I’m confused...how does that differ from what I described?

Octopusbird

09 Sep 2019

Loque wrote:
30 Aug 2019
I would use just 2 filters, 1 LPF and 1 HPF. Put it in a Combinator and you are done.
yeah that would work. And just link the cutoffs. It just seems funny to me that there isnt such a thing.

Octopusbird

09 Sep 2019

Spaceship wrote:
31 Aug 2019
You can build any kind of filter you want in Reaktor.
Hmm. Perhaps I need to look into Reaktor some more. I've been having a lot of fun making modular synth patches, :P

but it does a lot more, eh?

Octopusbird

09 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Octopusbird wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Can you be a bit more specific about what you want to do?
What are your two input signals?
Do you want to combine them (equally?) then split the resulting signal by frequency?
Can't answer your first question- top secret. haha.

Jj. I dunno. Anything! It's just a cool idea to play with.

2 signals come in and are merged at a crossover frequency- one takes the low(er) frequencies, one takes the high(er). If you moved the crossover freq all the way up you'd hear one full signal, and if you moved it all the way down you'd hear the other. If you left it somewhere in the middle you'd hear both, but split to upper/lower...

guitfnky

09 Sep 2019

well, I’ve tried it using the Yoko, and it doesn’t work using the returns, which I guess makes sense, given the device’s intended purpose.

still, you can get there pretty easily with two Yokos in a mix track or combi. just route the track outputs to the ins of the Yokos, pull the low cutover on both devices all the way down, and solo the mid band in one Yoko, and the high band in the other. then with the combi/track programmer, just assign the first knob to the high cutoff.

kind of surprised there’s not a dedicated RE for this yet. I don’t think the Yoko dev is still working in the format, but it would probably be fairly easy for them to implement.

selig
RE Developer

09 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
09 Sep 2019
well, I’ve tried it using the Yoko, and it doesn’t work using the returns, which I guess makes sense, given the device’s intended purpose.

still, you can get there pretty easily with two Yokos in a mix track or combi. just route the track outputs to the ins of the Yokos, pull the low cutover on both devices all the way down, and solo the mid band in one Yoko, and the high band in the other. then with the combi/track programmer, just assign the first knob to the high cutoff.

kind of surprised there’s not a dedicated RE for this yet. I don’t think the Yoko dev is still working in the format, but it would probably be fairly easy for them to implement.
You got it - it's what I did above but using all Reason devices. Again this is something a few of us worked on a few years ago, so I had already built it once (but couldn't find it on my drive, so built it again and posted here). It's a simple concept (and I can't take credit for the idea myself), so I'm sure it's something that has to exist in the VST world.

A semi-related concept also floating around around the same time was a LP/HP continuous filter, which was more difficult to built in a combinator. In this filter, the center position was "flat", and turning to the right raised the HP while turning to the left lowered the LP.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

09 Sep 2019

I merged your two threads asking for the summing/splitting filter to avoid confusion and to put all answers in one place.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

guitfnky

09 Sep 2019

selig wrote:
09 Sep 2019
A semi-related concept also floating around around the same time was a LP/HP continuous filter, which was more difficult to built in a combinator. In this filter, the center position was "flat", and turning to the right raised the HP while turning to the left lowered the LP.
interesting idea...I assume you can’t do this with a Yoko in a combi, soloing only the middle band, and assigning both cutovers to a knob (using different min/max values, obviously)...is it because of how the frequency sweep would react at different frequencies? (i.e. a 100 hz difference at the low end is much more noticeable than 100 hz at the high end?)

Octopusbird

09 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
09 Sep 2019

Yup that should work! Still think it's funny that I thought of a very simple vst that might not exist. Lol. There's a vst/re for everything.

Loque

10 Sep 2019

The Air splitter has breakouts AFAIR.
Reason12, Win10

• Information