Robotic Bean's new VST: Hand Clap Studio

Discuss VST stuff here!
eusti

09 Sep 2019

https://roboticbean.com/products/hand-clap-studio/

Hand Clap Studio

Claps and snaps are used in most music productions today. Whether you want soft and dry finger snaps for your delicate acoustic song, or hard hitting claps drenched in reverb for your trap track, Hand Clap Studio has you covered with just a few tweaks of the controls.
High quality samples

The samples were recorded with a professional percussionist in the classic and great sounding Atlantis Studio, using multiple microphones. Besides close (both condenser and ribbon) and room microphones, we also recorded the studio’s echo chamber. With 4 clap types, 5 velocity layers and plenty of round robins, the device contains over 700 samples.

Full sound control

You can select how many clappers you want, how they clap, and how tight their timing is. Find the sweet spot between Close and Room mics, and add sampled reverb from Atlantis’ Echo Chamber. Finish off with specially designed EQ and compression to make the claps fit your mix. The Display gives instant visual feedback of the current settings.

Choose how to record

Hand Clap Studio has a built-in 16 step sequencer, that starts clapping on beat 2 and 4 as soon as you create it. 3 accent levels and Slide let’s you create varied patterns. But if this is not enough, you can of course record MIDI in your DAW’s sequencer.
Specification

Four Clap Types: Basic, Bright, Soft & Snap
5 Velocity Layers and 13 Round Robins
Close, Room and Echo Chamber microphones
Up to 8 Clappers
Display with Clapper and room visualisation
16 step sequencer with 2 patterns
3 Accent Levels per sequencer step
EQ and Compressor
VST3 and AU formats

:o
VST 3 no plans for RE...

D.

mon

09 Sep 2019

Great product from RB as usual!
I just hope they will not abandon the RE ship.
They developed some of my favorite extensions.
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

Zac

09 Sep 2019

That is one good looking device!

Shame it won't be an RE or VST2, let's just hope Reason gets VST3 soon ;)

rgdaniel

09 Sep 2019

Zac wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Shame it won't be an RE...
Let's not forget that RB does have RE versions of clappers, acoustic and electric.
Not as modern and sexy looking, but useful.

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... c-clapper/
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... o-clapper/

joeyluck

09 Sep 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Zac wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Shame it won't be an RE...
Let's not forget that RB does have RE versions of clappers, acoustic and electric.
Not as modern and sexy looking, but useful.

https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... c-clapper/
https://www.propellerheads.com/shop/rac ... o-clapper/
Yeah I have them both. I wish the RE version had these features. They would be so much more useful.

eusti

09 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Yeah I have them both. I wish the RE version had these features. They would be so much more useful.
This! :)

miscend

09 Sep 2019

That price!

WeLoveYouToo

09 Sep 2019

miscend wrote:
09 Sep 2019
That price!
i know, it’s insane that someone would charge 65 dollars for a set of clap samples when we all litterally have a set of hands.

guitfnky

09 Sep 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
09 Sep 2019
miscend wrote:
09 Sep 2019
That price!
i know, it’s insane that someone would charge 65 dollars for a set of clap samples when we all litterally have a set of hands.
“the Drummer from Def Leppard” wrote:😢

I don’t.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

MannequinRaces

09 Sep 2019

No golf clap, I’m out, haha. Kidding aside this looks like a really well put together device. Well done Robotic Bean!

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2019

All hands sound different: sweaty palms, car mechanic paws, kid hands.. you name it. But from the pictures, it's the same guy over and over - the different mics don't help that much. While that's okay for most musical purposes, you can't generate applause with the claps from only one person or at least create the illusion of several people clapping to the music, think gospel etc.
Adding room artificially is also a different beast than having several claps (and snipping!!) recorded in a proper A/B or X/Y stereo mic setup, which would capture all the small changes in hand position and variations in timing per clap, that add a lot of feel to the recording.

I don't know.. I wouldn't mind a proper clapping instrument (although 65 bucks would still be a tough call) but it seems like there are some missed opportunities with this VST.
If I have to put a lot of work into a workaround to make it more natural (= even more variation), I might as well just buy a pair of budget stereo mics, save 5€ and record them myself.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

rgdaniel

09 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
09 Sep 2019
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
09 Sep 2019

“the Drummer from Def Leppard” wrote:😢

I don’t.
LOL. Gotta hand it to you. [applauds]

moneykube

09 Sep 2019

miscend wrote:
09 Sep 2019
That price!
wow...
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 1.03.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 1.03.53 PM.png (11.14 KiB) Viewed 15349 times
got clappers (I do not use) now and spent all my money on 3 other racks he made,,, pass
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

guitfnky

09 Sep 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
09 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
09 Sep 2019

LOL. Gotta hand it to you. [applauds]
:lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Creativemind

09 Sep 2019

Windows 10 won't let me download the demo. Said it may harm my computer but I did it anyway and it wouldn't let me still.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

QVprod

09 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
09 Sep 2019
While that's okay for most musical purposes, you can't generate applause with the claps from only one person or at least create the illusion of several people clapping to the music, think gospel etc.
Adding room artificially is also a different beast than having several claps (and snipping!!) recorded in a proper A/B or X/Y stereo mic setup, which would capture all the small changes in hand position and variations in timing per clap, that add a lot of feel to the recording.
This actually is possible. Record yourself clapping in different parts of a room with a mic in the same position. Some close, some distant, off to the right, off to the left. It'll actually sound like multiple people clapping once layered together. Applause is harder to accomplish, but the end of the RB video got pretty close.

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
09 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
09 Sep 2019
While that's okay for most musical purposes, you can't generate applause with the claps from only one person or at least create the illusion of several people clapping to the music, think gospel etc.
This actually is possible. Record yourself clapping in different parts of a room with a mic in the same position. Some close, some distant, off to the right, off to the left. It'll actually sound like multiple people clapping once layered together. Applause is harder to accomplish, but the end of the RB video got pretty close.

Yes, you can do that - it would still sound better with stereo mics :) and you'd have real room acoustics per sample/clap, instead of the same reverb on all "clappers" - as it is in this VST, from what I can tell. With the VST, you can't position the clappers in the room.
Regarding the applause, in my opinion that's not even close. It just sounds cheesy.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

boingy

09 Sep 2019

I must confess that I read the title of the thread and thought it was a joke, like that library of fart noises you can get.

(I'm still chuckling at the Def Leppard quip)

buddard
RE Developer

09 Sep 2019

Creativemind wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Windows 10 won't let me download the demo. Said it may harm my computer but I did it anyway and it wouldn't let me still.
That's weird, thanks for reporting! It's working on my Windows 10 machine, but I'm guessing there could be differences in security settings?

BananaSkins

09 Sep 2019

Any discount for this VST version if you own RE versions of clappers, acoustic and electric?

QVprod

09 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
09 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
09 Sep 2019

Yes, you can do that - it would still sound better with stereo mics :) and you'd have real room acoustics per sample/clap, instead of the same reverb on all "clappers" - as it is in this VST, from what I can tell. With the VST, you can't position the clappers in the room.
Regarding the applause, in my opinion that's not even close. It just sounds cheesy.
Right stereo would be better. The video did show the ability to control spread. Though yes it doesn’t look like there’s much control over distance unless I missed it. The applause at the end shows potential. I think it could be programmed to be convincing in context.

aeox
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2019

Foreshadowing?

buddard
RE Developer

10 Sep 2019

BananaSkins wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Any discount for this VST version if you own RE versions of clappers, acoustic and electric?
Yes, there will be a discount for AC-1 owners! We will soon post more information in this thread, and in our newsletter as well.

BananaSkins

10 Sep 2019

buddard wrote:
10 Sep 2019
BananaSkins wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Yes, there will be a discount for AC-1 owners! We will soon post more information in this thread, and in our newsletter as well.
Thanks... :thumbs_up:

buddard
RE Developer

10 Sep 2019

aeox wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Foreshadowing?
More like expansion! :P

All of the RB crew are Reason users first and foremost, we're just trying to find additional sources of revenue.

• Information