Roland FANTOM

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
O1B

08 Sep 2019

6, 7, and 8: 61, 76, and 88 Keys Respectively.

Wow.

...I .... wow! ~$4K for the 88 Key

then... there's this... Jupiter-X

QVprod

08 Sep 2019

A LOT of inspiration from the Yamaha Montage. The Mainstage functionality is pretty cool though.

O1B

08 Sep 2019

I have no History with these Beasts... just Lusts...

That sound... Proper Noodlng, too.

miscend

09 Sep 2019

There was a time when the Triton, Motif and Fantom ruled the world but workstation keyboards are on the way out. And the Korg Kronos is better and cheaper.

O1B

09 Sep 2019

Thanks! I'll look into the Kronos. I do know that name.

My Youth was in a Church Band with a "few" MONSTER Synth Players - so I've 'witnessed' some Beasts.
It was AWESOME.

I don't know where an 88 key would fit, but - screw the Moog 61 ($8K) if I still NEED 88 keys.
The Live Drums were Normal Awesome - but AWESOME. Roland's Audio over USB (please!) is Convenient.

And, that 8 or 16 part Texture switching... so D-50.... I've never seen it so EASY or so Beautiful.

Is there a Kronos video that you believe showcases it?
I like Korg and Roland 'almost' equally, but the Fantom's architecture is Winning! on this one.

miscend wrote:
09 Sep 2019
There was a time when the Triton, Motif and Fantom ruled the world but workstation keyboards are on the way out. And the Korg Kronos is better and cheaper.

Re8et
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2019

O1B wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Thanks! I'll look into the Kronos. I do know that name.

My Youth was in a Church Band with a "few" MONSTER Synth Players - so I've 'witnessed' some Beasts.
It was AWESOME.

I don't know where an 88 key would fit, but - screw the Moog 61 ($8K) if I still NEED 88 keys.
The Live Drums were Normal Awesome - but AWESOME. Roland's Audio over USB (please!) is Convenient.

And, that 8 or 16 part Texture switching... so D-50.... I've never seen it so EASY or so Beautiful.

Is there a Kronos video that you believe showcases it?
I like Korg and Roland 'almost' equally, but the Fantom's architecture is Winning! on this one.

miscend wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Wow.
That sequencer looks amazing, it wish there could be a GUI for the boutiques sequencer like that available one day, love my little D-05.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

15 Sep 2019

miscend wrote:
09 Sep 2019
You can get some Motif functionality in Cubase Halion. I guess you can say the UVI Falcon is another "workstation" in VST format compared to these keyboards. Perhaps Omnisphere too.

I understand they need to sell at around $3k to make it worthwhile, but who buys? Stage performers who don't use Abelton? It feels their target market is a bit like Oldsmobile, it is disappearing...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

O1B

15 Sep 2019

The Oldsmobile... was often enjoyed by its owners because of the fact that it definitely did its primary job correctly.
When looking at the immense history of [Oldsmobile], there is no question we all wish that this one could come back permanently.

QVprod

15 Sep 2019

Boombastix wrote:
15 Sep 2019
miscend wrote:
09 Sep 2019
You can get some Motif functionality in Cubase Halion. I guess you can say the UVI Falcon is another "workstation" in VST format compared to these keyboards. Perhaps Omnisphere too.

I understand they need to sell at around $3k to make it worthwhile, but who buys? Stage performers who don't use Abelton? It feels their target market is a bit like Oldsmobile, it is disappearing...
Yep mainly stage performers at this point. This is the first keyboard with a Ableton like sequencer. Probably aimed at the live looping types. The average touring musician will probably still choose Ableton to run tracks over this. Workstations will still have relevance for a while as carrying laptops around can be annoying.

EnochLight

15 Sep 2019

O1B wrote:
08 Sep 2019

Wow.

My buddy just picked up a used FA-06 (which is the new Fantom line's predecessor) for $700 USD. It... did NOT age well. To be clear, the unit itself is in mint and it functions like new, but the sounds and especially the OS is very archaic. Let's hope Roland supports and updates the new Fantom line a lot better (and longer)!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

15 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
15 Sep 2019
O1B wrote:
08 Sep 2019

Wow.

My buddy just picked up a used FA-06 (which is the new Fantom line's predecessor) for $700 USD. It... did NOT age well. To be clear, the unit itself is in mint and it functions like new, but the sounds and especially the OS is very archaic. Let's hope Roland supports and updates the new Fantom line a lot better (and longer)!
To be fair, The FA keyboards weren't the predecessor to this new Fantom. They were the cheaper option of the Jupiter 80/Integra 7 same way the MO keyboards were to the Motif and the Krome is to the Kronos. Just so happens that the Jupiter 80 was a flop so they went without a flagship up until now. This keyboard is sure to get far more love than the FA.

• Information