The Reason Rack plugin will be able to use Players?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
Alkua

08 Sep 2019

Rack Extensions and Players are in two separated categories in Reason, I am not sure if Players will be able to work in the Reason Rack Plugin. If anyone knows let me know.

Thanks

QVprod

08 Sep 2019

Players are rack extensions. Rack extensions are categorized into players, instruments, effects, and utilities.

Alkua

08 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Players are rack extensions. Rack extensions are categorized into players, instruments, effects, and utilities.
Ok, Thanks.

antic604

08 Sep 2019

Alkua wrote:
08 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Ok, Thanks.
Having said that, you'll only be able use Players to play devices WITHIN the Rack VST. You CAN e.g. send Dual Arpeggio or PolyStep sequences Europa or eXpanse, but CAN'T to Serum or Sylenth1 outside of Rack VST.

At least that's the situation right now and everything points to it possibly changing in the future.

Alkua

08 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Alkua wrote:
08 Sep 2019

Ok, Thanks.
Having said that, you'll only be able use Players to play devices WITHIN the Rack VST. You CAN e.g. send Dual Arpeggio or PolyStep sequences Europa or eXpanse, but CAN'T to Serum or Sylenth1 outside of Rack VST.

At least that's the situation right now and everything points to it possibly changing in the future.
Ok, good to know. I was thinking if Reason Studios makes the AAX version will be good for Protools users because Protools is not very good with MIDI. Even thought I haven't check if Avid added any new MIDI functionality lately.

joeyluck

08 Sep 2019

I'm curious if they do this, which approach they use.

Sending MIDI out via EMI might be simple enough on their end?

But maybe adding VST support inside the Rack Plugin might be easiest? To be able to say, "You want to control the Zebra VST with a Player? Do that in the Rack."

I guess the latter might introduce stability issues though...? Blue Cat Patchwork has issues with some plugins that otherwise don't have issues when running on their own. I think having a plugin that hosts plugins is a completely different beast. But from a user perspective with using Players, that method seems more desirable and efficient in terms of workflow IMO.

antic604

08 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2019

Or do it like every other MIDI FX - let the VST output MIDI, like Cthulu, Scaler, Captain Chords, Riffer, MIDI Madness, Loomer Architect and many, many others :)

boingy

09 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 Sep 2019
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2019

Or do it like every other MIDI FX - let the VST output MIDI, like Cthulu, Scaler, Captain Chords, Riffer, MIDI Madness, Loomer Architect and many, many others :)
Yep, that's the only sensible way. To do it any other way you'd have to be a slightly renegade, non-conforming development team. Oh, er… :oops:

Jagwah

09 Sep 2019

Could CV Player Tap send / print Player notes to whatever sequencer you're using?

QVprod

09 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Could CV Player Tap send / print Player notes to whatever sequencer you're using?
No midi out means you can't print notes. However, if you have melodyne editor, you could print as audio and convert that to midi. That's an unnecessarily long process though.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2019
But maybe adding VST support inside the Rack Plugin might be easiest? To be able to say, "You want to control the Zebra VST with a Player? Do that in the Rack."
YES please! And I will say: Take my money. :P
joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2019
I guess the latter might introduce stability issues though...?
Note sure why? The VST RE unit in Reason works fairly well, just missing midi out (again, hmmm)
But if I can only use 98% of VSTs available, I take that over 0%. No brainer in my world. :geek:
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Jackjackdaw

09 Sep 2019

Midi out via EMI would be perfect. Then you could send out different things to different channels. Voltage Modular has a midi out device that works this way, I have been enjoying it a lot.

Proboscis

09 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2019
But maybe adding VST support inside the Rack Plugin might be easiest?
Then I can run Reason within Reason within Reason within Reason until either my computer or my mind explodes. :lol:

Lempface

09 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2019

I guess the latter might introduce stability issues though...? Blue Cat Patchwork has issues with some plugins that otherwise don't have issues when running on their own. I think having a plugin that hosts plugins is a completely different beast. But from a user perspective with using Players, that method seems more desirable and efficient in terms of workflow IMO.
I think the issue is that Player devices attach to instruments right now. So I think the path of least resistance from a developer standpoint would be to create a modified EMI type instrument that just forwards the MIDI to the DAW via normal VST API calls. Otherwise they'd probably have to devise a way to let players standalone in the rack. Which I really wish they would just implement MIDI cables and do just that!
Reason 11 Suite | Bitwig Studio 3 | Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's | Komplete Kontrol M32 | Maschine Mikro MK2 | Maschine Jam

guitfnky

09 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
08 Sep 2019
it would be a cool solution, but they’d have to prevent you from being able to open the Reason Rack VST within another Rack VST. I imagine Rackception would introduce stability issues.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2019

All they would have to do is to prevent a. Reason from loading the RackVST and b. prevent the RackVST from loading itself.
I'm no programmer but it's all in their hands.
Loopcloud VST won't load if another instance of it is already active.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

09 Sep 2019

yep, probably not a huge lift. it would be pretty interesting if they didn’t control for that, though. :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

electrofux

09 Sep 2019

It is a weird discussion. VST Rack should have Midi Out as many other VSTs have AND the EMI should work aswell. But given the leaks and the presentation with not finnished REs this is all rushed out.

• Information