Tracktion 10 Free DAW With Magazine

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
boingy

07 Sep 2019

Computer Music CM274 Autumn 2019 is giving away full copies of Tracktion Waveform 10. Unlike the earlier versions of Tracktion it can host VST3s and thus should work with the Reason Rack VST.

Tracktion is not my bag but it might be a good route for those who don't like Cakewalk for whatever reason.

Linky:

http://tracktion.com/cmpromo

guitfnky

07 Sep 2019

it’s got a lot of really interesting features...having per-clip effects is such a smart idea. it’s a lot of fun to use, but definitely takes some getting used to. my biggest gripe at this point is that it’s not as stable as Reason (for me). I’d definitely recommend at least checking it out (hey, it’s free, right?), if you’re interested in something a bit less conventional.

Cakewalk is also great, though. 😬
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

future-bit

07 Sep 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

guitfnky

08 Sep 2019

I gotta say, after trying to get my feet under me in this for the past several days, it’s really disappointing.

there are SO MANY great ideas they’ve put into this DAW, and you can tell the developers really care about pushing the envelope in terms of interesting and useful features. the problem is...it’s just a HUGE pain in the ass to work with. basic features that should be a dream to work with are finicky and difficult, which makes doing things that should be easy very frustrating. it’s hard to even get to the point of using some of the cooler features because getting going with the basics takes up so much time and effort.

and on top of that, it’s quite unstable. I can count on experiencing more crashes in one session using Waveform 10 than I’ve had the entire time I’ve been using Reason (10 years, across both Macs and PCs). to their credit, they’ve acknowledged how crash-prone it can be—there’s even a video on their promo page that talks about what the app does to deal with crashes.

I’m glad I have it, and I’m definitely going to keep my eye out for updates, to see how Waveform improves, but it’s still got a long way to go before it’ll replace any of the more popular DAWs. a shame, really.

boingy

08 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
08 Sep 2019
... to their credit, they’ve acknowledged how crash-prone it can be—there’s even a video on their promo page that talks about what the app does to deal with crashes.
Hehe. That reminds me of Microsoft Golf back in the day. It crashed so often that they had a monitor program running in the background that would detect the crash and offer to put you back in the game immediately before the problem. If only they had put as much effort into fixing the crashes.

(btw, I never claimed Tracktion Waveform 10 was any good, just that it was free and should be able to host the VST3 rack from Reason 11.)

guitfnky

08 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
08 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
08 Sep 2019
... to their credit, they’ve acknowledged how crash-prone it can be—there’s even a video on their promo page that talks about what the app does to deal with crashes.
Hehe. That reminds me of Microsoft Golf back in the day. It crashed so often that they had a monitor program running in the background that would detect the crash and offer to put you back in the game immediately before the problem. If only they had put as much effort into fixing the crashes.

(btw, I never claimed Tracktion Waveform 10 was any good, just that it was free and should be able to host the VST3 rack from Reason 11.)
yep, that’s essentially how Tracktion handles it—just detects the crash and reopens to a state immediately prior to the crash.

and yeah, I really wanted to like it (I actually started checking it out before your post)—it just isn’t a good experience in its current state, IMO.

Zerosity

11 Sep 2019

Thanks for this, I used to use T3 through T5 and was thinking about picking up Waveform during Black Friday sales. Now I can start checking if I want to upgrade to one of the other bundles or move away to another DAW.

kinkujin

11 Sep 2019

Zerosity wrote:
11 Sep 2019
Thanks for this, I used to use T3 through T5 and was thinking about picking up Waveform during Black Friday sales. Now I can start checking if I want to upgrade to one of the other bundles or move away to another DAW.
Do you find it crashy too?

• Information