Reason 11 VST Plugin - HIDPI Support in Cubase Pro 10?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
devilfish

08 Sep 2019

That‘s the question!

Will the VST Plugin have HIDPI Support ??

miscend

08 Sep 2019

Would they have to redo the artwork?

madmacman

08 Sep 2019

I don‘t think so. While it‘s a small step for RE‘s, there‘s lot of work to do for the old stock devices. And the latter are part of the „asset“.

I think in the first run (R11) you have to stick with lo-res similarly to e.g. Native Instruments plugins.

guitfnky

08 Sep 2019

if high DPI support makes it into a the VST before they put it into the DAW, people gonna be PIIIIIIIIIIIISSED... 😂
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

antic604

08 Sep 2019

devilfish wrote:
08 Sep 2019
That‘s the question!

Cubase has a piss-poor Hi-DPI support, because it only scales its GUI to either 100% or 200% and DOESN'T scale plugins at all, unless they're Hi-DPI aware by themselves. So you end up with a DAW GUI that's either too big or too small and VSTs of different sizes. For a much better examples of how you should do Hi-DPI support look at Bitwig, Live or S1 - they'll scale to anything you have set up in Windows and will let you - per plugin!!! - decide if it should be stretched (if it doesn't support Hi-DPI itself, e.g. NI, Soundtoys, Waves, Air Music) or not (if it does, e.g. Arturia, U-He, FabFilter, Spire).

So, since Rack VST isn't Hi-DPI aware itself, it will be very small in Cubase on a Hi-DPI screen, e.g. a 4K laptop.

Bod

08 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 Sep 2019
devilfish wrote:
08 Sep 2019
That‘s the question!

Cubase has a piss-poor Hi-DPI support, because it only scales its GUI to either 100% or 200% and DOESN'T scale plugins at all, unless they're Hi-DPI aware by themselves. So you end up with a DAW GUI that's either too big or too small and VSTs of different sizes. For a much better examples of how you should do Hi-DPI support look at Bitwig, Live or S1 - they'll scale to anything you have set up in Windows and will let you - per plugin!!! - decide if it should be stretched (if it doesn't support Hi-DPI itself, e.g. NI, Soundtoys, Waves, Air Music) or not (if it does, e.g. Arturia, U-He, FabFilter, Spire).

So, since Rack VST isn't Hi-DPI aware itself, it will be very small in Cubase on a Hi-DPI screen, e.g. a 4K laptop.
I second this. Steinberg seemingly love implementing half-arsed features and then running away. I expect they'll fix HiPDI for 10.5, maybe 11, but demand an upgrade price for it. I left Cubase years ago because of this strategy, and foolishly returned after being tempted by the anniversary sale only to find nothing's changed. As an example, there's a bug relating to the backing up of projects that's been present for 2 years! Shocking.

guitfnky

08 Sep 2019

what benefit do you get from using a small screen at such a high resolution? not questioning whether it makes sense—I’m only asking because I genuinely don’t know what the use cases would be.

antic604

08 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
08 Sep 2019
what benefit do you get from using a small screen at such a high resolution? not questioning whether it makes sense—I’m only asking because I genuinely don’t know what the use cases would be.
Everything is much sharper - even if in the end all the elements have the same size - so eyes strain much less. I thought it isn't really worth it, until I switched from Surface Pro 4 to a much more powerful, but "only" 1080p 15'' laptop. The difference is REALLY significant (in a negative way), although there's obviously much fewer headaches on such a setup with DAWs, plugins and other software, because 1080p is the defacto standard.

guitfnky

08 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
08 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Everything is much sharper - even if in the end all the elements have the same size - so eyes strain much less. I thought it isn't really worth it, until I switched from Surface Pro 4 to a much more powerful, but "only" 1080p 15'' laptop. The difference is REALLY significant (in a negative way), although there's obviously much fewer headaches on such a setup with DAWs, plugins and other software, because 1080p is the defacto standard.
ah, that’s interesting. I never would’ve thought the resolution would affect eye strain, but I it makes sense now that I think about it. appreciate the answer! 👍🏼

• Information