NEW in the Shop: Virtual Drummer Rack Extensions – Successors of the A-List Drummer Series

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
boingy

07 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
07 Sep 2019
Besides, there's no drummers in real racks anyway right?
Not unless they have REALLY pissed someone off. :shock:

Proboscis

07 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
07 Sep 2019
They look like rack devices to me
It might be because Reason has always been my software of choice, but I think it's way too visually bloated. While the keybeds might be handy, it's not in line with the thousands of rack units that exist. And that center section is entirely unnecessary, when the same controls could be accomplished with two knobs in the empty space under the overheads/room. These plugins are three times too vertically high than they need to be.

esselfortium

07 Sep 2019

The new GUIs look really nice. Sleek and functional.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

joeyluck

07 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
07 Sep 2019
joeyluck wrote:
07 Sep 2019
They look like rack devices to me
It might be because Reason has always been my software of choice, but I think it's way too visually bloated. While the keybeds might be handy, it's not in line with the thousands of rack units that exist. And that center section is entirely unnecessary, when the same controls could be accomplished with two knobs in the empty space under the overheads/room. These plugins are three times too vertically high than they need to be.
I've used Reason since version 1 and it too is my DAW of choice. I think these are a great size (they could've been taller—this isn't the max size) and they are organized well and space used efficiently IMO. Look at the Processed Pianos RE or even Scenic due to come out. This doesn't leave the same empty space like those.

The GUI is very intuitive. Your two knobs idea doesn't account for drum kit selection and mix presets that accommodate them. And I like that they aren't hidden in dropdown displays—I can see what my options are. I like the flow and the way things are presented. Different opinions I guess.

rgdaniel

07 Sep 2019

Belltunes wrote:
07 Sep 2019
I received the virtual drummer email with a coupon code for the cross grade. I entered it at the point of purchase and I receive a 'code not valid' error. Has this happened to anyone else? Contact propellerhead I presume.
That happens to me sometimes (including pasting the code for Virtual Drummer) when I copy/paste a code or other stuff from an email or elsewhere, and paste it into a form somewhere else... usually (as it did here) it's because I've included a leading or trailing space character.

Belltunes

07 Sep 2019

Belltunes wrote:
07 Sep 2019
I received the virtual drummer email with a coupon code for the cross grade. I entered it at the point of purchase and I receive a 'code not valid' error. Has this happened to anyone else? Contact propellerhead I presume.

Never mind! It took the code after the umpteenth time of entering it.

gullum

07 Sep 2019

I uploaded a sound sample to soundcloud but now is a youtube video demonstrating a bug in the Virtual Drummer if you only play on keyboard it does not happen but but when adding notes in sequenser Virtual Drummer Solid does not always play the first beat

video removed because the bug is fixed
Last edited by gullum on 01 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

wendylou

07 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
07 Sep 2019
I uploaded a sound sample to soundcloud but now is a youtube video demonstrating a bug in the Virtual Drummer if you only play on keyboard it does not happen but but when adding notes in sequenser Virtual Drummer Solid does not always play the first beat
Do you happen to have Groove enabled? That can cause this.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

gullum

07 Sep 2019

wendylou wrote:
07 Sep 2019

where would I find groove in the transport bar or it is a setting in Virtual Drummer?

Proboscis

07 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
07 Sep 2019
I think these are a great size (they could've been taller—this isn't the max size)
Good Gracious NO ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Collapsible sections would be nice. Then everyone's happy. It's rare to never that any drummer's going to change the source kit during a song, and the mix setting again are 'set and forget' for any given project once you have dialed in the sound you want. Neither need ongoing interaction. And as for the keybed guides, well if you are playing with a controller, or write in the note lane of the sequencer, that's also redundant.

Wonder what the most common screen resolution is for most Reason users. For me at 1920x1080, plugins like Thor as an example, can't even fit two vertically on the screen. Big synths in general, the mod matrix doesn't need to be there at all times.

So how about it, uJam ? Collapsible sections in the next update ? It would be attractive to people who are on the fence about buying due to the GUI. A solution to please everybody.

gullum

07 Sep 2019

ujam-instruments wrote:
05 Sep 2019
You’ll get a newsletter from Propellerhead containing your individual voucher code to redeem the cross-grade discount in the shop. The VST versions are not included.
Don't know how to get in contact with you so I just quote you here

this bug are you aware of it

the video is removed Bug is fixed so could lead people that accidental found the video to believe it still existed
Last edited by gullum on 01 Oct 2019, edited 1 time in total.

$(username)

07 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
06 Sep 2019
$(username) wrote:
06 Sep 2019

That's what I don't understand. The shop has my purchase records. It shows me exactly what I've bought and on every RE's detail site I see wheter I've already bought it or not. The shop system even gets the bundles right where I've bought the items individually over the years.

Still the only way to get a fair upgrade price for things I've spent a lot of money on in the shop is through a code hidden in a newsletter that you have to explicitly opt in for (automatic opt in is prohibited in the EU). This means that we only get fair upgrade prices if we explicitly allow Reason Studios to constantly fill your inbox with advertising crap mails. WTF?
Like myself and others have said, just contact Propellerhead support. Others have done so and they've gotten their discount codes.

The discount opportunities are advertised and available to owners of any A-List Drummer RE. And even though it is a really great deal, it is still a form of a sale, and no company who you have unsubscribed from should be sending you emails about sales in any shape or form. You opted out of that. It doesn't mean that you don't qualify for the discount code, it just means you have to contact Propellerhead to get it.
Sorry, but this is BS. If they want my money then they have to make me a good offer. It's not my job to write begging letters to a sales department to get them to accept my money. Another point is that I don't want to support this bad business practice that ties an upgrade access path for a customer to the permission to flood his inbox with ads.

I wonder why this doesn't affect more users. If you create an account at any company in the EU then the newsletter subscription is turned off by default (if this isn't the case the company risks very high fines). For existing users all companies had to turn newsletters off and actively reach out for their customers to get them to renew the newsletter subscription. I think we all remember these begging mails a few months ago. This means that this discount delivery mechanism is turned off by default for all users. I can't see how anyone with a sane mind would choose this method as the only way allow users to buy an upgrade.

wendylou

07 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
07 Sep 2019
wendylou wrote:
07 Sep 2019

where would I find groove in the transport bar or it is a setting in Virtual Drummer?
"Groove" is below the word "Keys" on far left side of transport. I had this problem myself where the first note would not play (using a different Rack Extension) and I had Groove turned on. It was shifting the start time such that the first note would not play at 1.1.1.0. Might not be your issue if you are not using Groove.

joeyluck

07 Sep 2019

$(username) wrote:
07 Sep 2019
joeyluck wrote:
06 Sep 2019

Like myself and others have said, just contact Propellerhead support. Others have done so and they've gotten their discount codes.

The discount opportunities are advertised and available to owners of any A-List Drummer RE. And even though it is a really great deal, it is still a form of a sale, and no company who you have unsubscribed from should be sending you emails about sales in any shape or form. You opted out of that. It doesn't mean that you don't qualify for the discount code, it just means you have to contact Propellerhead to get it.
Sorry, but this is BS. If they want my money then they have to make me a good offer. It's not my job to write begging letters to a sales department to get them to accept my money.
I do not follow... A good offer has been made. It is advertised publicly on the website and in the video. But Propellerhead/Reason Studios can't send you offers to your email because you told them not to send you offers :?
$(username) wrote:
07 Sep 2019
Another point is that I don't want to support this bad business practice that ties an upgrade access path for a customer to the permission to flood his inbox with ads.
Again, you do not need to have received the email to be eligible. This offer has been made public and it has been explained numerous times that if you didn't get a code via email, you can get it from customer support. If you did not receive a code via email because you opted out of email offers, you only need to contact Propellerhead customer support.

gullum

07 Sep 2019

wendylou wrote:
07 Sep 2019
gullum wrote:
07 Sep 2019

"Groove" is below the word "Keys" on far left side of transport. I had this problem myself where the first note would not play (using a different Rack Extension) and I had Groove turned on. It was shifting the start time such that the first note would not play at 1.1.1.0. Might not be your issue if you are not using Groove.
no groove is not on I never ever used that groove mixer

wendylou

07 Sep 2019

OK, I checked this out further and it's happening to me, too. When triggering the patterns from notes on a track, the first drum hit in the pattern is not playing. If you play it manually, it works. Just not working completely with track note triggers.

wendylou

07 Sep 2019

I just updated all three UJAM Virtual Drummers to 2.0.1 and it did not fix this problem. If you trigger the patterns from track notes rather than playing live, many of the pattens will be missing the first beat. Some work, but most do not when I tested the "Nerdy Productions" patch with "Solid" drummer.

MarkElba

07 Sep 2019

Same problem here. First beat is not playing when triggered via track notes, but plays fine when playing the pattern via keyboard. Typically that's the kick drum on the 1 that's missing.

I noticed this first on Phat, using the Hip Hop and Rnb 103 bpm RandB pattern, playing Verse 1 on C3.

Unfortunately that makes it hardly usable at this point. :(

Proboscis

08 Sep 2019

This is certainly a popular release, if the number of posts are an indication of interest. I said to myself that I would explore the A-List drum trio before buying the u-Jam upgrades, since they didn't have the appeal at the time I bought them - some unusual quirks only present on these and the uJam bass player plugins I trialed. And I've spend around 20 hours of the last three days building something (I have no life) that I hope will open up a whole bunch of musical opportunities outside of the bog standard 4/4 timing, verse goes here, fill goes there, then onto the chorus. Someone mentioned elsewhere that there is some "AI" happening, which would explain some unpredictable behavior of the things uJam have built. So I need to either understand that AI, or I need to beat it. So far I am winning on the latter.

But my advice to anyone who has the A-List drums and don't use them so much, take the time to explore the possibilities before taking the plunge into the new plugins. There is no indication that the $39 offer is time-limited, and the A-List will be on our accounts forever, so we have all the time in the world to take this up.

wendylou

08 Sep 2019

I submitted the "first beat not triggering" bug to UJAM.

rgdaniel

08 Sep 2019

Interestingly, I have had the same or a similar issue from time to time with Reason Electric Bass RE. First note of a loop, even a random couple of bars in the middle of a song, would occasionally skip playing that first note when the loop came back around to the start. Nothing ever skipped when playing straight through, as when rendering the track, so I learned to ignore it. Annoying though, somewhat.

ujam-instruments
RE Developer

09 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
07 Sep 2019
ujam-instruments wrote:
05 Sep 2019
You’ll get a newsletter from Propellerhead containing your individual voucher code to redeem the cross-grade discount in the shop. The VST versions are not included.

Thanks for letting us know, I forwarded it to the dev team. Rest assured, we’re looking into it.

Proboscis

09 Sep 2019

rgdaniel wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Interestingly, I have had the same or a similar issue from time to time with Reason Electric Bass RE. First note of a loop, even a random couple of bars in the middle of a song, would occasionally skip playing that first note when the loop came back around to the start. Nothing ever skipped when playing straight through, as when rendering the track, so I learned to ignore it. Annoying though, somewhat.
Is Reason Electric Bass also a uJam product ? I have been on the fence about that plugin, since 90% of the time my go-to is the original ReFill. I've refrained so far because I can't quite get comfortable with the idea of paying for something that I more or less already own (same samples). So your comment adds further weight to my decision not to buy, along with the unpredictable behavior I've experienced when using the A-List drum sets (uJam) and also trialing the Virtual Bassist plugins (uJam), all of which go beyond just the 'first note' problem, and is exhibited in various other situations, ESPECIALLY in the Virtual Bassist series, bu also A-List. It seems there are two oddities, one that it doesn't like non-standard sequencer progressions outside of 4/4, second that there is an unusual random resolution of phrase changes that are not specified by the user. A recent forum member described this as 'AI' when evaluating the new drum packs.

I'm trying really hard to see the value in these plugins, and for me the price is very good - I'm eligible for the $39 path - but the unusual behavior mentioned above (in my experience with Virtual Bassist, and comments from others, which they will discover for themselves in due course), along with the gigantic, non collapsible sections of the GUI has given me pause to reconsider.

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2019

ujam-instruments wrote:
09 Sep 2019
gullum wrote:
07 Sep 2019

Thanks for letting us know, I forwarded it to the dev team. Rest assured, we’re looking into it.
If you'd be so kind and forward this bug too, just in case you've missed it :) Thanks!
viewtopic.php?p=463944#p463944
Joeyluck was able to reproduce it.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

electrofux

09 Sep 2019

I have the EDEN one and like the sound. What i dont like is that without note input it is not playing anything, meaning you can start the loops by pressing the keyboard keys but when you quit Reason and start again it will not sound untill you triggered the right (which one was it) loop again.
it also needs more indication what slot is playing as it is hard to find the right one if you want to adjust something.

• Information