New Roland Groove Box MC707

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
OverneathTheSkyBridg

05 Sep 2019

This thing looks pretty great, glad to see Roland back in the groovebox game. My Digitakt is feeling a little afraid. They also have a budget version called the MC101.

future-bit

05 Sep 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

future-bit wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Roland degraded. Toys for kids. No sound, no interesting appearance.
Huh? This is by far the most interesting grooveboxes they offer?
I'm not a Digitakt person so I'm always interested in alternatives and this looks appealing. Very hands-on. The TR-8s was not for me either and it seems like MC707 overcame most of its shortcomings. Correct me if I'm wrong.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

OverneathTheSkyBridg

05 Sep 2019

This beats out the Digitakt on multiple levels. I'll be keeping my eye on this one for sure.

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Sep 2019

Really interested to see how the synth engine compares with the one in the Circuit. I'm a happy Circuit owner, but having to do all the synth programming on my laptop is not ideal.

O1B

05 Sep 2019

No Issues with the TR-8S, MX-1, or TB-3..

This is a Really Nice Find:

He seems to be having Fun!.. after RTFM...

TEMPO Control. BEST on the TR-8 and MX-1 from what I can see. I'm interested, though.
128 Steps. Roland Site Specs shows 64....?
Scaling.
Samples.
Killer Synth/Tone Engine/
Shit-Ton of Roland EFX.

* Available total time for User Sample: 12 minutes in mono, 6 minutes in stereo (44.1 kHz)
* Available format of User Sample: WAV 32–96 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit (mono, stereo)
* Available total time for Looper Sample: Approx. 60 sec (44.1 kHz)
* Available format of Looper Sample: WAV 44.1 kHz/16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit, 32-bit float (mono, stereo)

Stereo SEND/RETURN(L/MONO, R) jacks: 1/4-inch phone type
Audio over USB: USB port: USB B type (Audio, MIDI)

There's a Strong Probability of Acquisition.
future-bit wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Roland degraded. Toys for kids. No sound, no interesting appearance.

VariableX

05 Sep 2019

This look real fun and comprehensive groove-box to me!
Always sad I sold my Korg Electribe Sampler...
But it's not cheap ... i think he said 800 pounds which would probably be $2000 australian which is too much for me...
The little 4 track version is 400 pounds so more affordable but doesnt have audio in, wonder what else it misses ( can see the screen for starters )

If money was easy I'd be very interested to check these out further.

O1B

05 Sep 2019

Nice Video on Functionality. WOW.

And.. Quantize OFF. RD-8 Might be CANCELLED for this.

jayhosking

06 Sep 2019

This has a lot of the immediacy and fun of the Circuit, and a lot of the depth of the Deluge, but with more tracks (than the Circuit), better and way more effects, easy on-board synth programming, inputs, stereo send and returns, more knob control for performance, and a bunch of performance-friendly effects like scatter and the SP line's DJ delay/looper thing. I'm pretty keen on the idea of this little groovebox.

cognitive

07 Sep 2019

I don't plan on getting one, but the more I learn about the 707/101, the more I understand the appeal. Mostly positives I'm seeing.

However, for long-form performance on a single box, 16 clips per track per project seems a little cramped for my personal taste, especially on the 101 with only 4 tracks.

Also, sound wise, the demos I've heard so far seem kind of "flat". One of the reasons I wasn't thrilled with my MPC Live was what I perceived as a flat-sounding lack of character. This may be appealing to some because you can always process with EQ and fx to "add" whatever character you're looking for, but I personally like the inherent character of the sounds coming from my Elektrons. Something very lively about them that I love, without having to work at it.

Someone might say I'm crazy and that "digital is digital", but there's just something bright and beefy and colorful about what comes out of my DT/DN. Be interesting to take the same sample(s) and do some sort of freq analysis of the outputs on, say, a Digitakt, an MPC Live and maybe a 707.

All that said, makes for some interesting competition in the "groovebox" space. For instance, if the 101 had existed a couple of years ago, I might have picked up one of those instead of a Circuit. The 101 also seems to have potential to chew into Model:Samples sales. I also wonder how many people might pick up a 707 instead of a TR-8S.

VariableX

07 Sep 2019

I really like the look of the MC-101 but if its gonna be nearly $1000 australian that is far too expensive. As far as what I would pay im not sure i'd even pay $500 aus for it. When you think you could get a laptop and reason intro for $1k or this its a no brainer.
Or another way to look at it is its 2times the price of a Korg Electribe 2.

But it does look like a fun little device to pair up with my op-z.

O1B

07 Sep 2019

laptop and reason intro for $1k
Sounds like a Christmas request...

Or another way to look at it is $700 for the OP-Z + $700 for the iPad/iPhone(Blind ONLY is just ridiculous) or 8 tracks of Synths and Drums you can actually 'Play" on the MC-707.

Or another way to look at it is: 2 Electribe 2.0 (Sampler and Synth) gets you wholly Quantized Beats, taking up twice the USEABLE space (actual owner here) where the tracks can never REALLY be combined into a SONG in ONE machine - as with the MC-707.

Another way to look at it is... some use Electron. Some Novation. Some TE. Some... Roland. They may seem like a new company - but, they've made some Hits.
'Don't knock it 'til you've tried it'

I want the MC707 for one of the features of the OP-Z: 100% Wet to Dry Quantizing.
Except, one can really 'Play' the MC-707 - without BeatSteps and KeySteps.
That makes a Big Difference to me.

But, I do want that little OP-Z. I have the PO-33! and it's so much fun!

If you could help me... where do you see two of these being equal to a MC-707? ( I still have one, btw, so I can follow your explanation...)

fretshot7 wrote:
07 Sep 2019
I really like the look of the MC-101 but if its gonna be nearly $1000 australian that is far too expensive. As far as what I would pay im not sure i'd even pay $500 aus for it. When you think you could get a laptop and reason intro for $1k or this its a no brainer.
Or another way to look at it is its 2times the price of a Korg Electribe 2.

But it does look like a fun little device to pair up with my op-z.

VariableX

07 Sep 2019

"If you could help me... where do you see two of these being equal to a MC-707? ( I still have one, btw, so I can follow your explanation...)"

eh?
did you mean to put a pick of the MC-101? sorry im confused with your question?
I accept I maybe confused you to :lol:

jayhosking

07 Sep 2019

cognitive wrote:
07 Sep 2019
I don't plan on getting one, but the more I learn about the 707/101, the more I understand the appeal. Mostly positives I'm seeing.

However, for long-form performance on a single box, 16 clips per track per project seems a little cramped for my personal taste, especially on the 101 with only 4 tracks.

Also, sound wise, the demos I've heard so far seem kind of "flat". One of the reasons I wasn't thrilled with my MPC Live was what I perceived as a flat-sounding lack of character. This may be appealing to some because you can always process with EQ and fx to "add" whatever character you're looking for, but I personally like the inherent character of the sounds coming from my Elektrons. Something very lively about them that I love, without having to work at it.

Someone might say I'm crazy and that "digital is digital", but there's just something bright and beefy and colorful about what comes out of my DT/DN. Be interesting to take the same sample(s) and do some sort of freq analysis of the outputs on, say, a Digitakt, an MPC Live and maybe a 707.

All that said, makes for some interesting competition in the "groovebox" space. For instance, if the 101 had existed a couple of years ago, I might have picked up one of those instead of a Circuit. The 101 also seems to have potential to chew into Model:Samples sales. I also wonder how many people might pick up a 707 instead of a TR-8S.
To some extent, I'd definitely agree: a couple of the demos are flat, and the Digitone does some really colourful/characterful synth work. But I think the TR-8S had a great set of drum sounds and samples, and hear much of the same goodness (especially in the one or two demos where they scan through the drum kits and patches). I worry the synth will be a pain to work with, but then, thousands of presets and any on-board editing is better than the Circuit at this point. And the synth sounds already sound far better than what's in the OP-Z, my current favourite groovebox. I think I'll probably give this one a shot!

O1B

08 Sep 2019

So, you're comparing the 101 ..... "Or another way to look at it is its 2times the price of a Korg Electribe 2."
TWICE the price of Electibe 2.0?... nah! Sounds more like an MC-707 comparison.

It's $399USD for E 2.0 and $499USD for the 101..... twice? That is disingenuous.

BUT Shit! I forgot to Pre-order that 101! Nice Reminder. Thanks!

This video more aptly compares and pairs the MC-101 ... to Boutiques...

Battey! I funkin' WANT!!

EDIT:!!! JU-06....a? w/ External Clock IN?! When did this happen?!
fretshot7 wrote:
07 Sep 2019
"If you could help me... where do you see two of these being equal to a MC-707? ( I still have one, btw, so I can follow your explanation...)"

eh?
did you mean to put a pick of the MC-101? sorry im confused with your question?
I accept I maybe confused you to :lol:

cognitive

08 Sep 2019

jayhosking wrote:
07 Sep 2019
cognitive wrote:
07 Sep 2019

To some extent, I'd definitely agree: a couple of the demos are flat, and the Digitone does some really colourful/characterful synth work. But I think the TR-8S had a great set of drum sounds and samples, and hear much of the same goodness (especially in the one or two demos where they scan through the drum kits and patches). I worry the synth will be a pain to work with, but then, thousands of presets and any on-board editing is better than the Circuit at this point. And the synth sounds already sound far better than what's in the OP-Z, my current favourite groovebox. I think I'll probably give this one a shot!
Yeah, watching some more vids and listening to some more examples, I’m hearing some more lively sounds out of the new Rolands.

Also, I’m predicting Roland is going to have a couple of hits on their hands with these. No groovebox is perfect, but the more I dig in, the more it seems to me they really thought things out. The 707 in particular seems designed for live performance, and the 101 could be a Circuit/Model:Samples killer, especially if the street price drops a bit.

The more I learn, the more attractive these new Roland boxes look, especially if someone is coming in fresh. Normally I would say, “get a Circuit” to a noob, but now I would have to recommend they investigate the 101 as well. Seems worth the extra $$$ to have full drum kits per track, more synth power, time-stretched clips, all those fx, basically more of a full production toolset in that little box.

VariableX

08 Sep 2019

"BUT Shit! I forgot to Pre-order that 101! Nice Reminder. Thanks"

Great!
I am thinking we both agree they look like super fun groove boxes?
But, I think they are over priced, and you don't.
mc-101 is $829/aus
mc-707 is $1699/aus

good luck with your purchase!

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2019

If this thing ever gets song mode..
... I just need to find 1000€ and I'll buy it immediately! :lol:
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

fieldframe
RE Developer

09 Sep 2019

I actually almost like the fact that there's no song mode. It really pushes the idea that these are instruments meant to be played live. They'll probably add song mode in a firmware update, but the design intent is clearly all about improvisation and performance.

I wonder... If you were to send MIDI clock out from the 101 to a Circuit, would the Circuit know to start clips on a new bar? I'm kind of excited about the idea of combining the two devices.

O1B

11 Sep 2019

.. concerning the MC-707...

Arrives Friday!

A lot of Outfits show Oct 15, 2019 - but there are IN STOCK Locations.

...Lust....

.. the MC-101 is going to be a Little Longer.

jayhosking

11 Sep 2019

fieldframe wrote:
09 Sep 2019
I actually almost like the fact that there's no song mode. It really pushes the idea that these are instruments meant to be played live.
Yeah, I really don't care about song modes on any of my hardware; if I wanted to make a prefab song, I'd just do it in a DAW. What I love about hardware, and grooveboxes in particular, is performing. This MC-707 looks like a very performance-friendly device and I'm pretty excited to try it out. That said, I hated the build quality and buttons on the TR-8S, so I'm worried this will feel the same (light and cheap). But if it sounds great, I'll probably still grab it.

VariableX

17 Sep 2019

O1B wrote:
11 Sep 2019

Arrives Friday!

...Lust....

Any feedback?
How's your impressions so far?

Adabler
Competition Winner

18 Sep 2019

:reason: 12, Win10

O1B

19 Sep 2019

Sorry! I haven't been on much, and I haven't opened the box.

I had one BIG thing come up I had to deal with.
This weekend is my Playtime!

I will definitely report back!

I didn't think the thing was coming out until October!
fretshot7 wrote:
17 Sep 2019
O1B wrote:
11 Sep 2019

Arrives Friday!

...Lust....

Any feedback?
How's your impressions so far?

diminished
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2019

Here are some honest opinions and thoughts on the MC 707 from someone who used the 505 a lot:

• Information