Lite vs. Full version

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
DJ_Varmintbaby

04 Sep 2019

So I got Reason 10 Lite with a midi keyboard I bought a while ago. I like the software, but it's so expensive to upgrade to the full version. I was wondering what am I really missing out on between the Lite and Full versions of Reason? With VSTs I can get instruments and sounds from many different sources correct? You can also use Rack Extensions for Reason with the Lite version as well right? For example, could I get that Europa 808 in my Reason Lite if I really wanted to? How would I go about it? Sorry for all the questions, but help me out if you can. Thanks!

QVprod

04 Sep 2019

The main thing you'll run into is the rack count limit being only 8 with Lite. Otherwise you're correct. You can replace all the other missing devices with RE and VST and the drums with samples of your choosing. Inthe full version, tracks are unlimited.

Here's the feature comparison https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/comparison

diminished
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2019

I own both Lite and Full and I absolutely love working in Lite only. The track limitation of 8 (not mixer channels, not instruments, not automation lanes...) is a joke in the positive sense. With some clever use of Combinators for synths, NNXT for samples and Kong for loops, you can go well beyond the limitations. Many of the devices missing compared to Reason 10 Full can be replaced by either (free or paid) Rack Extensions, VST plugins or stock-DIY-plugins from the Factory Sound Bank.
Fully functional SSL Mixer AND Europa are included too. It's ridiculous!!

I always thought about making video tutorials for Lite specifically but I'm a bit self-conscious about talking to an unknown audience.

You are, however, always welcome to ask in the forum about Lite or shoot me a message.

What's "that Europa 808" you're talking about? Got a reference?
Last edited by diminished on 04 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

ShelLuser

04 Sep 2019

DJ_Varmintbaby wrote:
04 Sep 2019
I like the software, but it's so expensive to upgrade to the full version.
It is expensive indeed, but that's usually what you get for starting out with this hobby or profession or whatever it is for you. Keep in mind that purchasing Reason will also get some direct benefits for future upgrades. You don't pay full price when the next version comes out but instead you're entitled to a discount. Things like that can make a purchase really worth your while. Also considering that this discount can be applied across versions (meaning: I upgraded from version 4 to 6 and not too long ago I jumped from 6 to 10).

My suggestion though is still to invest in your hobby (or profession) if this is really something you want to do. Yes, I am biased, but the product is honestly that good (IMO). Sure.. vst's and such will work, but they won't easily match up against things like Malstrom, Radical piano and the human chord ensemble. Or what to think about Neptune, Echo, Alligator or Pulveriser? Sure, vst's could cover that, and there are also plenty of very good free vsts too. But they won't be able to match the tweaking and patching which you can do with native Reason devices.

Honestly... No matter what DAW you end up liking.. at first it's always good idea to invest heavily so that you can get the max. out of your setup. And yes, I am biased as heck but Reason can be a very good platform to get started on.
Last edited by ShelLuser on 05 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
--- :reason:

diminished
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2019

ShelLuser, that's basically my point. You really have to push hard in order to reach the limitations of Lite, and in addition I believe the limitations are super inspiring and help you understand Reason better.
There's absolutely no need for a newbie to pay for the full version if he/she's got access to Lite.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

ShelLuser

05 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
04 Sep 2019
There's absolutely no need for a newbie to pay for the full version if he/she's got access to Lite.
As you said, it depends. IMO a newbie should get as much as they can if they're serious about getting started. For example: a lot of my work would have been quite different if I didn't had stuff like Malstrom available 'back in the days' (Reason 4). That's why I always suggest to prepare for some big start up expenses. Not necessarily required, but still very useful to make.

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

I never said it depends..
But sure, if those devices are crucial for one's workflow, buy Full. Poor Malström, haven't touched it since the arrival of Thor.
I stick with it though, until you've extended and ultimately reached Lite's limitations there is absolutely no need for Full.
And it's not like the expensive upgrade from Lite to Full is going to run away... Investing heavily in something you're not so sure about is money thrown out the window! Especially if the free alternative gives you like 75% of the big brother..

scratchnsnifff

05 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
04 Sep 2019
I own both Lite and Full and I absolutely love working in Lite only. The track limitation of 8 (not mixer channels, not instruments, not automation lanes...) is a joke in the positive sense. With some clever use of Combinators for synths, NNXT for samples and Kong for loops, you can go well beyond the limitations. Many of the devices missing compared to Reason 10 Full can be replaced by either (free or paid) Rack Extensions, VST plugins or stock-DIY-plugins from the Factory Sound Bank.
Fully functional SSL Mixer AND Europa are included too. It's ridiculous!!

I always thought about making video tutorials for Lite specifically but I'm a bit self-conscious about talking to an unknown audience.

You are, however, always welcome to ask in the forum about Lite or shoot me a message.

What's "that Europa 808" you're talking about? Got a reference?

You could answer my question then!

I didn’t see anywhere on the props site about a line mixer in the intro or lite version

Does it have the 6:2 or 14:2? Or what ever ratio the line mixers are?
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

future-bit

06 Sep 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

diminished
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2019

future-bit wrote:
06 Sep 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Does it have the 6:2 or 14:2?
Yes
^ this

Even Pulsar is included. Both Spiders, Matrix.. unlimited Mixer channels and busses. Now throw in the free stuff. Janitor, CV Player Tap, CVA-7, the Murfs, Sample Delay, 4 Phase LFO, Morphin XF, all the HaMus.. and that's just the Utility section!

scratchnsnifff

06 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
06 Sep 2019
future-bit wrote:
06 Sep 2019

Yes
^ this

Even Pulsar is included. Both Spiders, Matrix.. unlimited Mixer channels and busses. Now throw in the free stuff. Janitor, CV Player Tap, CVA-7, the Murfs, Sample Delay, 4 Phase LFO, Morphin XF, all the HaMus.. and that's just the Utility section!
That’s awesome. I couldn’t live without malström though :)

I’m just so quick with all of its possibilities .
Luckily if needed there is always arkana or proton for other granular needs.

So basically you can get the full Reason experience for cheap as long as you add a couple Re. Quite an amazing deal imo
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

ShelLuser

06 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Sep 2019
I never said it depends..
Apologies. It wasn't my intention to misquote.

Jackjackdaw

06 Sep 2019

I agree that Lite is awesome. There are often sales on the upgrade price from Lite to Full, keep your eyes peeled for them if you do feel like upgrading. Getting started though, Lite has a ton of mileage.

boingy

06 Sep 2019

I'm really surprised that PH don't sell the "extra" REs that are missing from Lite as separate items in the shop. Seems like a missed opportunity to make a few more $$$.

ShelLuser

06 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
06 Sep 2019
I'm really surprised that PH don't sell the "extra" REs that are missing from Lite as separate items in the shop. Seems like a missed opportunity to make a few more $$$.
Hmm, good point but maybe they're not as "evil" (termed used lightly) as you think?

... then again (uh oh) :puf_bigsmile:

Maybe the upgrade to normal Reason (no pun intended but I am grinning anyway, apologies: Friday evening and all) ... maybe the upgrade will get them more revenue?

Good point though!

DJ_Varmintbaby

06 Sep 2019

So I ended up buying Reason Intro to get access to more factory sounds as well as 16 instruments/tracks instead of the 8 with Lite. I actually bought it from Sweetwater as they had a deal that you get a free upgrade to Reason 11 Intro when it drops. Will 11 Intro still keep the 16 tracks/instruments that 10 has? I would imagine so, but PH could pull some funny stuff. You never know! What do you think or do you have proof anywhere? I did a quick search and didn't turn up anything!

mjxl

06 Sep 2019

Even with 16 tracks at your disposal, you can unleash sonic mayhem with Reason. The synths, effects and utilities (both cv and the 3 players) are all so good at what they do.
Try all the free stuff in the shop, maybe pick up some more :roll:

Also, Europa. Put time in Europa.

The upgrade to Intro 11 is for every new customer btw :thumbs_up:
Is there a grace period?
Of course! If you purchase or upgrade to Reason 10 today (actually from August 1, 2019), you will receive a free upgrade to Reason 11 at release on September 25. Buy Reason 10 Intro now, and you will get Reason 11 Intro on September 25.

gdm41

07 Sep 2019

DJ_Varmintbaby wrote:
06 Sep 2019
So I ended up buying Reason Intro to get access to more factory sounds as well as 16 instruments/tracks instead of the 8 with Lite. I actually bought it from Sweetwater as they had a deal that you get a free upgrade to Reason 11 Intro when it drops. Will 11 Intro still keep the 16 tracks/instruments that 10 has? I would imagine so, but PH could pull some funny stuff. You never know! What do you think or do you have proof anywhere? I did a quick search and didn't turn up anything!
Funny thing is they got a error on their website, on the reason intro product page it says :" Free upgrade to Reason 11 upon its release on September 25, 2019, a $99.00 Value!
Purchase this Propellerhead item at Sweetwater and receive a free upgrade to Reason 11 upon its release on September 25, 2019, a $99 Value! Software must be registered by September 25, 2019."

I already own a old Reason Intro version (10), will there be an paid update to R11 intro aswell?
Start lending-> http://www.kiva.org

ShelLuser

07 Sep 2019

gdm41 wrote:
07 Sep 2019
I already own a old Reason Intro version (10), will there be an paid update to R11 intro aswell?
That depends on when you purchased it. Everyone who purchased (or upgraded to) Reason 10 after the 1st of August is entitled to a free upgrade to Reason 11. You can find this info yourself in their FAQ, the section about the grace period.

Hope this can help!

gdm41

07 Sep 2019

ShelLuser wrote:
07 Sep 2019
gdm41 wrote:
07 Sep 2019
That depends on when you purchased it. Everyone who purchased (or upgraded to) Reason 10 after the 1st of August is entitled to a free upgrade to Reason 11. You can find this info yourself in their FAQ, the section about the grace period.

Hope this can help!
Yeah thanks for the info but the faq didnt cover my issue. I own an "old" reason intro license and want upgrade it to r11 intro.

boingy

07 Sep 2019

gdm41 wrote:
07 Sep 2019
ShelLuser wrote:
07 Sep 2019

Hope this can help!
Yeah thanks for the info but the faq didnt cover my issue. I own an "old" reason intro license and want upgrade it to r11 intro.
I'll tell you in 18 days. It's not like you can buy it before then anyway....

gdm41

07 Sep 2019

I hope they keep the price. Hope they don´t put a new price tag on the intro version...

zumBeispiel

09 Sep 2019

Just wondering, will there be a paid or perhaps free 11 update for a previous Lite?

diminished
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2019

zumBeispiel wrote:
09 Sep 2019
Just wondering, will there be a paid or perhaps free 11 update for a previous Lite?
Mattias said there will be a Reason 11 Lite, but it won't have the RackVST if that's why you're asking.
Good question if 10Lite --> 11Lite will be free. I don't know either. But it would make sense to release an update for free, since you get a license anyways if you make an account with Reason Compact. Why would they hand out the old version..

• Information