[Poll] What Was/is Your Favourite Reason Upgrade?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

What was/is your favourite Reason upgrade?

1%
1%
11%
Introducing Record
3%
5 - From Record/Reason
1%
5 - From Reason 4
4%
6 - Merging Record into Reason
22%
6 - Pay What You Want
5%
11%
3%
14%
15%
8%

Total votes: 73
stratatonic

06 Sep 2019

What was/is (or if 11, will be) your favourite Reason Upgrade?

(I am not including the .5 updates. But If any point update is your favourite, select full Reason version number)
And I put in Record just because it was somewhat of an upgrade to Reason at the time - even though technically it was not a Reason upgrade).

For me, it was Reason 5. (And I got a kick out of the five days of excitement on Reason 5/Record 1.5 on the old Propellerhead Users Forum when one feature from the Upgrade was revealed each day that week Monday to Friday. I bought in to that hype and that upgrade - but it WAS a solid upgrade (probably the last really great upgrade, imo),

Speaking of Propellerhead hype back on the PUF, Propellerhead announcing Reason 6 merging Record and Reason and subsequent wild freakout leading to the Pay What You Want to for Reason 6 was hilarious. And there was Prop’s pre-hype for Reason 7 with speculation with what the hell this was…
i-read-the-source-code-and-all-i-got-was-this-silly-jpeg.jpg
i-read-the-source-code-and-all-i-got-was-this-silly-jpeg.jpg (65.88 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
Last edited by stratatonic on 07 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2019

It was all about Record for me. When they merged Reason and Record, well, that was just a bonus. Of course I wouldn’t be without Reason nowadays. 10 not 11 :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

06 Sep 2019

Upgraded from not having Reason to Reason 4.
Mind blown.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

gullum

06 Sep 2019

Merging Record into Reason absolutely I was so happy when Record came out but had wet dreams when they got merged :D

guitfnky

06 Sep 2019

whichever one introduced the pitch edit—9, I think? before that, Neptune was the only game in town, and it’s not suited for transparent correction. pitch edit brought Reason to the same level as other DAWs, as far as what you could do for a whole production without having to use another DAW.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

adfielding

06 Sep 2019

It's a tricky one, but I think 4 was the big one for me.

2 was awesome because you got the NN-XT & Malstrom, and you could detach the sequencer window (wow!), and I used Orkester a ton back then. 2.5 was a super nice free update as well - the Scream4/BV512/Spiders were fantastic additions.

3 was brilliant because it brought us the Combinator and MClass devices, both of which were game changers. There's a noticeable jump in quality from my exports between 2.5 and 3 primarily because of the MClass devices, and I don't think anybody would argue with how the Combinator worked out... which is funny, because I distinctly remember people being really down on it as a feature at the time. ("what's the point in that? Why not just copy and paste device setups?")

But 4 is the one that sticks with me because it brought us an updated sequencer, ReGroove (which I still maintain is seriously underrated for non-destructive tweaking), and - oh yeah! Thor. Going from using Subtractors/Malstroms exclusively to having Thor in the rack was a huge breath of fresh air, and it's the version I used to write my first "proper" album. Everything came straight out of Reason 4 - it was super CPU efficient, and the only thing I was missing at the time was audio track support... which would eventually arrive with Record.

As an aside: I'm super fascinated by the history and development of Reason over the years, and I've been toying with putting together a bit of a retrospective video at some point. I still miss the cool boot-up/logo easter eggs from R1 :)

joeyluck

06 Sep 2019

It would be interesting to see the different perspectives had we never gotten Rack Extensions or VST support. Or maybe going as far back as not getting audio recording added... The things people used to get excited about, would that be different today? Or would people be too fed up not having any sort of plugin support? Or would it be all talk and would we all still be here anyways? Lol

I remember when Reason 5 came out, before Record, and that was a big thing. It seemed more people than just me and my close friends were then talking about Reason. But of course, it seems people now get less excited about additional devices, with the flexibility of having REs and VSTs. I think Europa and Grain were received very well, but if Reason didn't have plugin support, I imagine the excitement levels would be different. Maybe Klang, Pangea, Humana as well for instance... Devices used to be the heart of new versions. Of course, we all wanted workflow and sequencer enhancements then, but what was built-in the rack was all we had, so of course we wanted more devices with each version.

I've used Reason since version 1, and for me it's hard to choose. I've enjoyed the journey and surprises. But if I had to choose one today, Reason 6 might be the one? Audio Recording with the merging of Record, having the Mixer, and eventually Rack Extensions with 6.5. And learning that The Echo, Alligator, Pulveriser were sneaky little RE devices baked-in... And now having the Mixer devices in the Rack is nostalgic of that moment in time.

selig
RE Developer

06 Sep 2019

Reason 4 is still my favorite update to date.
Selig Audio, LLC

MannequinRaces

06 Sep 2019

Reason 6.5 for me. The intro of Rack Extensions. A game changer.

pquenin

06 Sep 2019

It was Reason 7 for me because I upgraded from Reason 3, so I have new audio features, a new sequencer, new devices, and still this old look of Reason that I still prefer over the actual one. Reason 7 was a very mature version.

ShelLuser

06 Sep 2019

Nice thread & poll idea Strata!

Although I very much agree with @motuscott about purchasing Reason 4 and getting your mind blown by seeing all the cool stuff you could do with it (things not even possible in "real DAW's") I still had to vote for 6...

I went from 4 to 6 and it was a mind blowing experience for me as well. I got introduced to rack extensions.. In my opinion Pulsar made it really clear that rack extensions could be "pretty awesome". Not in the last place because of its awesome micro tutorial:

This is a personal favorite of mine, I actually have this saved in my bookmarks and I also downloaded the video as-is and got it stored on a media box. I love this one! Also got myself Polar ("dual pitch shifter") because of all this and man... the fun I had with that one! :cool: Best part of all: at the time this was happening I actually learned some new stuff and tricks too! IR happy :D

The other reason Reason 6 (pun intended) had such an impact on me... "it adds mixing into Reason, and that legendary master bus compressor".

I dunno you guys but in my very humble opinion no Reason introduction movie other than 4 (which was also pretty good!) was so inspiring as this one... This video is deep I think because it goes beyond introducing a product but also bombards us with some harsh facts about the industry which I believe we should all know but in reality... most (?) people don't?

(edit): I forgot to mention: the mixer in 6 was special to me, very special. It even made me think (and experiment) about mastering in Reason. An idea which will soon see a real head-on attempt thanks to the Mastering rig (but more so: all the experience I gained over the years). In my original vent I was mostly talking about the video. SO....

What I mean:

"When it comes to self-expression there are no rules, no right or wrong. We're artists first, creators who follow instinct and inspiration...". I don't think any following Reason introduction ever went this deep. And man... that background music... loving it!

Don't get me wrong here though... At the time of writing I'm also having plenty of fun with Reason 10, I actually like the browser and all the stuff I can do with it. It's pretty awesome if you ask me, and I also admire the fact that Reason 10 auto-recognizes my Push 2 controller. It's good, heck: pretty awesome even I think.

But 6 was special....

I don't even remember what I paid for my upgrade. I think around E 100 or so because I was pretty hyped.

"If all you want is everything, then all you need is Reason". See, the only "problem" is that you have to make most magic happen yourself. NI provides you with tons of presets (which I kinda dislike anyway) whereas with Reason...

Oh well, about to enjoy the weekend :)
Last edited by ShelLuser on 06 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
--- :reason:

mcatalao
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2019

For me it was the introduction of audio Recording with Record. It was also when the Main Mixer was introduced.
After that the initial Reason 6.5 release with Rack Extensions.

And then 9.5 with VST's.

Yonatan

06 Sep 2019

I started with R4 and Record. Can recall that R6 and R9 was a bit extra special. R6 with the merging and intro of RE.

Voted the R9 with pitch editor, darker themes, bounce in place, players and VST. The DAW and Rack felt more modern with these additons. An overall great upgrade.

R10 was not too bad if knowing how much work had to be spent on the VST performance issue. The added instruments was indeed nice but as they just had allowed VST, most users had spent time and money already to get new instruments, and suddenly the R10 announcement was all about new instruments.
So in that sense, though good, the timing was a bit strange. Most users was sure to see improvements with the core DAW functions.
We got a few midi tricks late.

And now thr R11 inteoduces Rack as Plugin, making many users run after another DAW.
Like with vst but now chasing the best DAW companion to Rack Plugin.
Rack as plugin is more of a 11.5 update simular to vst announcement, but then they would have had to bring something bigger for Reason as a DAW and seems they thought the Rack vst would stir up the attention more and get attraction from many more in the music production world.
So I am really interested what may come down the road to Reason as a standalone DAW now.

R11 may be a preperation, and especially R12 will have to come and put Reason on the new 2020 decade.
Last edited by Yonatan on 07 Sep 2019, edited 6 times in total.

scratchnsnifff

06 Sep 2019

stratatonic wrote:
06 Sep 2019
What was/is (or if 11, will be) your favourite Reason Upgrade?

(I am not including the .5 updates. I put in Record just because it was somewhat of an upgrade to Reason at the time - even though technically it was not a Reason upgrade).

For me, it was Reason 5. (And I got a kick out of the five days of excitement on Reason 5/Record 1.5 on the old Propellerhead Users Forum when one feature from the Upgrade was revealed each day that week Monday to Friday. I bought in to that hype and that upgrade - but it WAS a solid upgrade (probably the last really great upgrade, imo),

Speaking of Propellerhead hype back on the PUF, Propellerhead announcing Reason 6 merging Record and Reason and subsequent wild freakout leading to the Pay What You Want to for Reason 6 was hilarious.

And there was Prop’s pre-hype for Reason 7 with speculation with what the hell this was…
i-read-the-source-code-and-all-i-got-was-this-silly-jpeg.jpg
I remember seeing that picture. What was it for???
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

thedjjudah

06 Sep 2019

I'm just guessing but I'm pretty sure it's for Neptune.

I jumped from Reason 4 to 9 which was totally mind-blowing! But I really like Europa and Grain.

reggie1979

06 Sep 2019

I can't believe I'm the only one who voted for 8. Then again, 8 is where I decided to come into.

Reminiscence

06 Sep 2019

Reason 3 - ala Combinator.

jlgrimes

06 Sep 2019

I voted 3. It introduced Combinator which was a game changer.

4 was also good as well.

fieldframe
RE Developer

06 Sep 2019

9.5. It was like Commodore Perry opening the borders of Edo-period Japan. The isolated island of Reason became connected to the world, and everyone was better for it.

VIVIsect

07 Sep 2019

I returned to Reason, after years of using Ableton Live exclusively, when VST support was implemented in 9.5. But VST performance was so dreadful that it was basically useless for any serious projects. Upgraded to 10 when VST performance was improved. The result is like night and day. So, 10.3 has been my favorite update so far.

Yonatan

07 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
06 Sep 2019
I can't believe I'm the only one who voted for 8. Then again, 8 is where I decided to come into.
The Browser, new flatter look and softube amps and later Rv7000mkii, was good things that I would not have wanted undone, but the hype was low as the amps replaced line 6 amps, so it was mainly a new browser and new look to pay for as a R7 user. But that direct export knob to Discover, was the nearest mp3 export we came.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2019

I'm assuming we're including all the point updates for each version.

I actually really liked this latest run with Reason 10.

Being able to create my own favorite lists of devices has sped up my workflow more than any other workflow feature. Highly underrated improvement that no one ever talks about.
Optimization (point update). This is definitely one of the best updates imo.
2 new big stock synths. Plus some extra samples and loops.

Yonatan

07 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
07 Sep 2019
I'm assuming we're including all the point updates for each version.

I actually really liked this latest run with Reason 10.

Being able to create my own favorite lists of devices has sped up my workflow more than any other workflow feature. Highly underrated improvement that no one ever talks about.
Optimization (point update). This is definitely one of the best updates imo.
2 new big stock synths. Plus some extra samples and loops.
Good points, R10 was not bad at all. Even got in some small midi note thing as well as the bass Monotone and Rytmik modules. All this despite vst optimization taking extra time.

future-bit

07 Sep 2019

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

SynthRatings

07 Sep 2019

No update ever got me as excited as the introduction of Rack Extensions in 6.5, so unfortunately I can't vote in your poll
I publish ratings of VST and RE instruments on a dedicated YouTube channel here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/SynthRatings

• Information