NN-XT Sampler question

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
DJ_Varmintbaby

06 Sep 2019

Hello,

How do I actually play the sample from the NN-XT Sampler? I guess I'd ask the same about the NN-19 Sample. I can figure out what to do with it from there. I just can't get the samples to play. Please let me know. Thanks.

mjxl

06 Sep 2019

In NN-XT you set the key-zones per sample, so it might be that you need to set the sample to use the entire MIDI range.
You can do this by selecting the sample, and drag both handles to the start and end. (also set the root note per sample!)
(( you can open the sample in Grain to see the rootnote, if needed ))
nnxt.png
nnxt.png (623.43 KiB) Viewed 790 times
In NN-19 there is room for just 1 sample, it should be automatically spread accross the entire range.
Maybe the sound that you put in has some attack , and thus starts later?

DJ_Varmintbaby

06 Sep 2019

If mine looks like your image there, would I just play that "Play" button next to sample on the bottom portion and it should play the sound? Or is there a keyboard shortcut I can press to play the sound from within the sampler?

Proboscis

06 Sep 2019

It's not nice when people respond with RTFM ! however in this case, you would be well served to look through the documentation, as there are things to know, like how to map samples at various pitches. I'm no expert on the NN-XT, but when I use it, it's a laborious process, with changing the root note value, assigning the lo/hi keys etc. I need to RTFM myself, because the way I have been using it (having to make 2 octaves of samples then import them, and assign the keys) takes me AGES, and there must be a better way, or another tool to use outside of Reason.

If you're simply looking at a single sample thats not repitched, it's as easy as resetting the device to the init patch, and dragging your .wav in there - but there's more to it if you want to dive deeper.

https://a.phcdn.se/Reason10/Manuals/Rea ... Manual.pdf

DJ_Varmintbaby

06 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
06 Sep 2019
It's not nice when people respond with RTFM ! however in this case, you would be well served to look through the documentation, as there are things to know, like how to map samples at various pitches. I'm no expert on the NN-XT, but when I use it, it's a laborious process, with changing the root note value, assigning the lo/hi keys etc. I need to RTFM myself, because the way I have been using it (having to make 2 octaves of samples then import them, and assign the keys) takes me AGES, and there must be a better way, or another tool to use outside of Reason.

If you're simply looking at a single sample thats not repitched, it's as easy as resetting the device to the init patch, and dragging your .wav in there - but there's more to it if you want to dive deeper.

https://a.phcdn.se/Reason10/Manuals/Rea ... Manual.pdf
Ok I'm guessing I'm overthinking it. My Akai MPK mini MK2 must have been acting up again because it sounds like I should just be able to press the keys on the Akai midi controller/keyboard to have the sample play. I'll look at it again tonight after work. Thanks for your input.

diminished
Competition Winner

06 Sep 2019

It's as easy as pressing a key on your AKAI.
But you have to "arm" the instrument you want to send MIDI to.
You can do that either in the sequencer or in the Rack.
In the Rack, click on the instrument. A little flag will appear on the top left of the device. Click on that flag and a little arrow thingy appears.

In the sequencer, click on the little image of the instrument and that arrow thingy appears :)

If your AKAI is acting up: Press F4 for the on-screen keyboard. This one will always work.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

• Information