NEW in the Shop: Virtual Drummer Rack Extensions – Successors of the A-List Drummer Series

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
NekujaK

05 Sep 2019

So if I switch to the new Virtual Drummers, what happens to my older tracks that used A-List Drummers?
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

Dante wrote:
05 Sep 2019
I own 2 of the Alist drummers and I received a code. But I’m getting nowhere near the advertised discounts even after applying code at checkout. I’ve lodged a ticket with PH - but interested if anyone else is experiencing this issue ?
If you want all of them but only have two a-list: 99€
Do they want to charge you 19+19+99?
Make sure you enter the code after you added the bundle (!) to your basket
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

NekujaK wrote:
05 Sep 2019
So if I switch to the new Virtual Drummers, what happens to my older tracks that used A-List Drummers?
The old REs are still available for you. In your account and on your machine :)
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

NekujaK

05 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Sep 2019
NekujaK wrote:
05 Sep 2019
The old REs are still available for you. In your account and on your machine :)
Good to know - thanks!

(Actually, I just re-read the product description a little more closely, and it's right there in black and white :oops: but I appreciate the response!)

geronimo

05 Sep 2019

I tested the Virtual Drummer Solid and its equivalent Drummer Studio remains available in the list of my Instruments.
I think this remains valid, in case of purchase.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

The a-list drums aren’t in the back line rig 4 any more. You reckon the new REs will be put in there instead? (Or weren’t the a-list drums in rig 4 to begin with?).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

MrFigg wrote:
05 Sep 2019
The a-list drums aren’t in the back line rig 4 any more. You reckon the new REs will be put in there instead? (Or weren’t the a-list drums in rig 4 to begin with?).
Power Drummer and Studio Drummer were in there.
Idk maybe with the Suite, the Rig days are over. It would still be shitty if those two are not replaced by the new ones.

Proboscis

05 Sep 2019

It's great to see developers actively engaging with users in a public forum. I've got a few questions:

1. Not sure if I purchased the bundle or each A-List Rack Extension separately - but I have all three (Classic, Studio, Power). Am I still eligible for the $39 crossgrade to the new iteration of these devices if I bought them one at a time - and ultimately would have paid far more for them in the first place. It would be disappointing if only bundle-buyers can take this up.

2. I have not used them very much, but there was an annoying problem in that when adding phrases to the sequencer ie; writing them in rather than playing them via a controller - when looping a section, the first 'note' would not trigger the drum part, despite being precisely at the zero point. Why do they behave like this ?

3. Are there many drum phrases in the extended bank that offer metal style loops ? I'm talking about fast double bass kick rolls and more extreme metal styles. Most of the products I've used in the past from various sources claim that their offering includes metal styles, but IMO aren't at all. Case in point being the Octorex factory selection

joeyluck

05 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Sep 2019
joeyluck wrote:
05 Sep 2019

I can confirm. Interesting find. Only appears to happen when clicking and dragging from Breakdowns. And even playing from a MIDI keyboard after causing this little glitch, is still affected.

This issue is not in the VST versions of Virtual Drummer or in the Beatmaker / Virtual Bassist REs by UJAM.
Thanks for confirming!
UJAM, I accept Eden and that Trap thingy as a reward. :P The only ones I don't have :D JK. Well, only half.

Joey could you try sliding with the mouse over some Common Phrases in Virtual Bassist, then immediately click on a note on the right? There's something really wonky going on, too. I don't have words for it.
Yeah I'm not sure if I'm seeing what you are? You might be describing the switching between regular phrases and intros/fills? Those are one-shot phrases, which play at different parts of a bar. It appears they are queued whether you are triggering chords/melody or not. If for instance you choose a fill then choose a regular phrase (no mouse dragging involved) you'll see it switch while you are playing. I think that is intended behavior. Is that what you are describing?

gullum

05 Sep 2019

NekujaK wrote:
05 Sep 2019
and all of the A-list kits are in the new as legacy kits so swoping out old for new you can start with legacy then work from there

NekujaK

05 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
05 Sep 2019
It's great to see developers actively engaging with users in a public forum. I've got a few questions:

1. Not sure if I purchased the bundle or each A-List Rack Extension separately - but I have all three (Classic, Studio, Power). Am I still eligible for the $39 crossgrade to the new iteration of these devices if I bought them one at a time - and ultimately would have paid far more for them in the first place. It would be disappointing if only bundle-buyers can take this up.
I can't remember for sure, but I think I bought all 3 A-List Drummers separately. When I apply the discount code for the Virtual Drummers bundle in the cart, it changes the price to $39. You can verify for yourself - just add it to your cart and apply the code. If you're not ready to buy, just cancel the code to be safe.

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
05 Sep 2019

Yeah you can do that for 39 bucks. I got two of them with the BacklineRig bundle and bought the remaining one on sale.
2. I have not used them very much, but there was an annoying problem in that when adding phrases to the sequencer ie; writing them in rather than playing them via a controller - when looping a section, the first 'note' would not trigger the drum part, despite being precisely at the zero point. Why do they behave like this ?
I don't know what exactly happened in your case but you need to be really precise with your start AND stop instructions. Your loop markers need to be precise too. Do not overlap "notes" in the sequencer. Do not exceed the length of the bar with one note. If your beat is somehow off, play from the beginning and see if it persists - usually not.
ALWAYS include both phrase AND the type (chorus, verse..) in your start signal (= two notes). I agree it's sometimes finnicky but it's important to do this because it sometimes loses track of its position when you jump around in the sequencer.
3. Are there many drum phrases in the extended bank that offer metal style loops ? I'm talking about fast double bass kick rolls and more extreme metal styles. Most of the products I've used in the past from various sources claim that their offering includes metal styles, but IMO aren't at all. Case in point being the Octorex factory selection
No idea, sorry.
Last edited by diminished on 05 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

NekujaK

05 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Don't know. But I'm guessing if metal beats are included, the selection will be limited, since these are more general purpose drum libraries. If you really want great drums for metal, I highly recommend looking at Toontrack - either EZdrummer or Superior Drummer and expansion packs. They have a great selection of excellent dedicated metal drum kits and MIDI packs. You can't go wrong with Toontrack for metal drums.

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
05 Sep 2019
diminished wrote:
05 Sep 2019

Thanks for confirming!
UJAM, I accept Eden and that Trap thingy as a reward. :P The only ones I don't have :D JK. Well, only half.

Joey could you try sliding with the mouse over some Common Phrases in Virtual Bassist, then immediately click on a note on the right? There's something really wonky going on, too. I don't have words for it.
Yeah I'm not sure if I'm seeing what you are? You might be describing the switching between regular phrases and intros/fills? Those are one-shot phrases, which play at different parts of a bar. It appears they are queued whether you are triggering chords/melody or not. If for instance you choose a fill then choose a regular phrase (no mouse dragging involved) you'll see it switch while you are playing. I think that is intended behavior. Is that what you are describing?
Ahh yes that's it, thank you. I landed on a fill/intro while dragging and then it reverts back to the last highlighted phrase. So absolutely normal behavior.

jam-s

05 Sep 2019

ujam-instruments wrote:
05 Sep 2019
The newsletters have gone out, the codes are coming :)
Even thou I own the A-list bundle, I did not receive any discount code. I suppose it might be due to the fact that I did not tic that "subscribe to developer" checkbox on checkout. As I'm interested in the crossgrade, what are my options now?

Proboscis

05 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Sep 2019
I don't know what exactly happened in your case but you need to be really precise with your start AND stop instructions. Your loop markers need to be precise too. Do not overlap "notes" in the sequencer. Do not exceed the length of the bar with one note. If your beat is somehow off, play from the beginning and see if it persists - usually not.
My loop regions are spot on, but I think I know what the reason is after trying just now. It seems that it is not possible to mix and match phrases until they have played out in full (I guess 4 bars - who knows if its the same for all patches).

I have attached a screenshot example below (it seems I cant upload reason files on the forum) using the 'stoner stadium' patch, and the notes of A3, A#4, A3 . Play this through a few times. Part of the unexpected behavior that I didn't mention is the random differences that arise. One the second cycle, part on doesn't play, but commences with a cymbal hit. Yet after a few rounds, it becomes a DIFFERENT cymbal hit. I gave up on the uJam bass plugins for this reason, since there was no way to compose when the behavior changes at random.

It's very limiting if phrases can't be mixed & matched to the user's requirements, and are stuck in the pre-made 4-bar loops.

diminished wrote:
05 Sep 2019
ALWAYS include both phrase AND the type (chorus, verse..) in your start signal (= two notes).
I'm not sure I understand. Is this what is referred to as key-switching ? So I need to put a note in the lane to trigger the phrase, then another note elsewhere which makes no sound, but acts as a behavior change to the phrase above ?

I would like to RTFM on this before I consider trialing the uJam devices, but the A-List pages have been removed completely - a bit silly, they should have de-indexed them from the search results, so existing owners can still find the manual. I will take a look at uJams manual, guessing it's more or less the same since someone earlier mentioned that the old devices can be changed out for the new ones

Maybe part 2 of this comment will resolve part 1 which I will have to learn how it works.
alistss.PNG
alistss.PNG (427.11 KiB) Viewed 3903 times

Proboscis

05 Sep 2019

Small Feature Request on the GUI : How about adding the note & octave name on the keyboard readouts for all the keys instead of just the C notes, since not all of us intuitively recognize and know our way around a keybed ?

$(username)

05 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
05 Sep 2019
$(username) wrote:
05 Sep 2019

How to we access the cross grade when we have opted out of the newsletter?
Depends on whose. Whether it's UJAM or Propellerhead, I would contact their customer support.
I sent a request and now I'm waiting for an answer. But from what I've seen on Facebook and kvr it seems like you're screwed if you have not been registered to that newsletter at the exact moment when the new REs were released. Or should I say: They are screwed because they don't get the money from newsletterless customers.

joeyluck

05 Sep 2019

$(username) wrote:
05 Sep 2019
joeyluck wrote:
05 Sep 2019

Depends on whose. Whether it's UJAM or Propellerhead, I would contact their customer support.
I sent a request and now I'm waiting for an answer. But from what I've seen on Facebook and kvr it seems like you're screwed if you have not been registered to that newsletter at the exact moment when the new REs were released.
I think that's in order to have received the personal discount codes via email today. I'm sure if you contact Propellerhead support, they can get you sorted out.

cognitive

05 Sep 2019

Got the discount code, $39 cross-grade. Good deal. :)

GRB

05 Sep 2019

ujam-instruments wrote:
05 Sep 2019
MrFigg wrote:
05 Sep 2019
I’ve got Phat VST. Anybody know if there’s a crossgrade before I write and ask ujam?
We’re currently working on some kind of cross-grade offer for our VST users. You’ll most probably get an newsletter from us, if we’re able to offer a special price :)
I've received the email from PH and since I really like the A-list Drums just did a cross-grade from the A-List Drums bundle to UJAM's.

After paying a couple of hours ago and even before I got to download/install the bundle I've noticed there is a new v2.0.1 update that asks for additional $19 in one of the sets (Heavy) :shock:

Am I doing something wrong or are you doing something wrong?

I hope this is some kind of mistake... can you imagine RE users accepting the crossgrading offer just to discover that there is an extra 0.0.1 upgrade the same day they upgraded and that it costs $19 for one of the Drums? So there will be $19 for the other two?

If this is the way it works I would like to ask for a refund and save those $39 + $19 + $19 + $19. That's about the whole price for the upcoming Reason 11 upgrade for Reason 10 owners.

PS: I can live with the "old" A-List Drums GUI.
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

GRB

05 Sep 2019

cognitive wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Got the discount code, $39 cross-grade. Good deal. :)
Please let me know if you now see in the store a 2.0.1 upgrade for $19 just for the Heavy drums.
R12 12.2d36 / Reason+ / R11 Suite - Win10 64bit HP i7 - 32Gb RAM - SSD / Scarlett 2i4 / Novation Launchkey 61 MK3 / Nektar Impact LX61+ / JBL 305 MKII

eusti

06 Sep 2019

Not sure if that was brought up already: Are we getting the drag and drop MIDI feature as well?
That would be amazing!

D.

Proboscis

06 Sep 2019

The Heavy plugin says 60 musical styles. I counted Reason's Power Drummer, which has 55 source patches. Since each piece of kit on the A-List have their own audio outputs, I can build an FX suite in combination with the 14:2 mixer. A build-once combinator for all future use, and gain controls right in the oldschool mixer. This would more or less replicate the feature options in the new one, wouldn't it ? And allow for greater FX customization than simply the six onboard options.

Therefore, all one is paying for is 5 extra styles, and a much larger GUI - am I correct in saying this ?

It's a low-ish price for those of us who own all three, but I'm trying to establish the value (that is, the value for me - others will have their own justifications to crossgrade)

Yonatan

06 Sep 2019

The new ones are more "in your face" sounding from scratch. But I found myself stripping them off all the time (except for Heavy) , as I like going more dry with the Solid and Phat, and then add sparse effects, so I might stick with the A-list but trial the upgrades a bit more to see if I may change my mind at some point down the road, as I read one can keep the old ones with the new ones too.

For how long are the discount code valid? Could not see it.

• Information