Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
cqd

04 Sep 2019

I dunno why people are giving out about the rack plugin..If anything it's going to bring in loads of new users..Thats it done now..They can get back to developing reason as a whole..If you only work in reason maybe skip this update..I'm sure they'll continue to develop it going forward..perhaps with a load more money..

Jagwah

04 Sep 2019

esselfortium wrote:
04 Sep 2019
The claim that "PH had 20 years and did nothing" is particularly funny to me, a user since 2.5.
It's interesting seeing you exaggerate when you jump on me and request I explain myself when I do it.

I take it you can exaggerate, but others, or maybe just I - can't, in your opinion.

*Duly noted*

Last Alternative

04 Sep 2019

Propeller Studio is giving us lunch meat and charging for steak. They don’t even answer my questions. Reason is behind the times and never catches up. I feel like a hostage with all the REs I bought. To think they won’t spend all their time now on RVST improvements is absurd. It’s a small company and that is their new cash cow. They made it clear core functionality and overhaul is last priority. They changed for the worst and there’s no end in sight. So fuck this company! I’m over it.

P.S. I love Reason but I hate PH. Wanna try something else but don't wanna go down another financial rabbit hole. So torn.
Last edited by Last Alternative on 04 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

spencer335

04 Sep 2019

Is there any way that the rack plugin could work with Komplete Kontrol, which does not host VST3? Are there any bridge-type programs that could host the VST3 as a wrapper (for the KK wrapper)?

I'd love to make some Nektar-style templates for the different Reason synths ...

RamonRivera

04 Sep 2019

Does anyone know how much is going to cost upgrading Reason 11 standard to Reason 11 Suite?

guitfnky

04 Sep 2019

RamonRivera wrote:
04 Sep 2019
Does anyone know how much is going to cost upgrading Reason 11 standard to Reason 11 Suite?
I asked the same thing in a couple of threads just after the announcement. the consensus was/is seemingly they haven’t decided yet, or at least don’t want to announce that pricing.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

RamonRivera

04 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
04 Sep 2019
RamonRivera wrote:
04 Sep 2019
I asked the same thing in a couple of threads just after the announcement. the consensus was/is seemingly they haven’t decided yet, or at least don’t want to announce that pricing.
Man that sucks cause I could buy reason 10 right now and start using it till reason 11 is ready, but Im afraid that if I do buy 10 right now I get screw later on with the standard to suite upgrade price.

VariableX

04 Sep 2019

You know the problem I think we all have is -
There is nothing quite like opening up a new Reason Rack.

Not one other daw comes even close.
And this is the problem, no one wants to move DAWs but when you feel you are being taken for a mug you gotta fight back and our only way to do that is voice our discontent and use our wallet.

Thats me finished re-checking out Live, which is ok, but doesn't stimulate the juices like opening a fresh Reason Rack. Neither does S1.

Im gonna listen to the dude that says skip this version and go with 12.

esselfortium

04 Sep 2019

Jagwah wrote:
04 Sep 2019
esselfortium wrote:
04 Sep 2019
The claim that "PH had 20 years and did nothing" is particularly funny to me, a user since 2.5.
It's interesting seeing you exaggerate when you jump on me and request I explain myself when I do it.

I take it you can exaggerate, but others, or maybe just I - can't, in your opinion.

*Duly noted*
I wasn't referring to anything you said, I was directly quoting a sentence from Raveshaper's post...
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

QVprod

04 Sep 2019

gaclab wrote:
04 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
04 Sep 2019

Seriously this move, if played right, has the potential to really elevate RE as a VST competitor, at least in the same ways that Kontakt libraries are. The availability of RE in any DAW (sorry Pro Tools, and Logic will get it eventually) may make the format more attractive than it's ever been. The only problem is RE devs creating devices that are intended to compete with VST options (SDK permitting). So far, many devices were created with pretty much zero competition in mind since Reason did not yet have VST support. Question is whether that ship has sailed in developer's minds, or if they're willing to give it another try. If so, then RE is a pretty clear money maker. Take a company like Kvassa for instance. They don't yet have a pedalboard option for their pedal emulations. Reason rack plugin practically gives them one.
I'm probably missing something, but if that is their intended direction, why not just make the VST free, opening up the ability for everyone to access their rack extensions (if they have any) and demo/purchase other rack extension? Then there's no barrier to entry and it makes the RE platform available to a wider audience.
I'm only speculating about potential, but the same could be said about Kontakt. There's a free version, but the majority of Kontakt libraries that exist aren't compatible with it. Nonetheless it'll probably happen at some point. I think pretty much every other a la carte type plugin (like Amplitude) released the free version later on.
Last Alternative wrote:
04 Sep 2019
To think they won’t spend all their time now on RVST improvements is absurd.
Just think about it. The plugin is a rack hosting a bunch of devices that are finished. They already proved they can host RE in the cloud and on hardware. How much time could possibly be spent on it alone? Reason updates will likely continue to be about the same if not improve in efficiency.

Jagwah

05 Sep 2019

all good
Last edited by Jagwah on 05 Sep 2019, edited 2 times in total.

boingy

05 Sep 2019

RamonRivera wrote:
04 Sep 2019
guitfnky wrote:
04 Sep 2019

Man that sucks cause I could buy reason 10 right now and start using it till reason 11 is ready, but Im afraid that if I do buy 10 right now I get screw later on with the standard to suite upgrade price.
The best reason to buy 10 now rather than wait for 11 is to make sure you have access to the last Rewire version in future and also to the Europa VST. However, if you want the lowest cost upgrade to suite then wait until it is released on 25th (only 20 days!). Actually, if you want the lowest cost upgrade then put on your patience hat and wait for the upgrade to be discounted in a few months!

Yonatan

05 Sep 2019

Why not having 2 versions of plugins?
Both comes with full Reason standard license.
One that is a more simle Rack plugin hosting RE and some cabling (which we get now) . It comes with Reason Intro and maybe also an empty one for free for those just wanting a few REs.

Second is a Reason Plugin with midi in/out, audio in/out, that basically is an updated kind of Rewire but being as a plugin. Whole Reason as an instrument. Also hosting VSTs in Rack.
That step up would be very tempting to go for most users who are seriously wanting creative freedom.

I mean I can see demands of both directions, a simple and ppl asking for more and more. Why not split those so if you only want to use one or two REs as a plugin, one pick the basic Rack wrapper, and wanting to more fully integrate Reason, in a collab with other DAW one choose the more advanced one. Would make sense.

Likewise with iOS apps, make Compact suited with Reason Intro and if owning same instruments in Reason, also be free in Compact.

Then develop a more advanced Reason DAW app that corresponds and interconnect perfectly with Reason DAW. Allowing all REs bought or subscriibed to i Reason to be used cross platform. This is what any sane company would do, make it clear and no mess. What owned in RE shop, also be used on ipad and controlled as well interlinked.

Make it clear and easy. People would love it.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but RS confirmed you can open up Combinator patches in the Rack plugin VST (any RE patch really). So that was one big question mark ticked off! This makes me a bit more happy.

Now if we only can get midi out and the ability to add VSTs to the new Rack plugin as well, that would be soooo sweeeet. Then it would work like Compact - do whatever in Compact and open in Reason DAW.
With the Rack plugin it would be similar: do ANYTHING in a Combinator in the Reason DAW and open it in another DAW, with Players, VSTs, REs, any combination. C'mon Reasongang - JUST DO IT!
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Yonatan

05 Sep 2019

Boombastix wrote:
05 Sep 2019
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but RS confirmed you can open up Combinator patches in the Rack plugin VST (any RE patch really). So that was one big question mark ticked off! This makes me a bit more happy.

Now if we only can get midi out and the ability to add VSTs to the new Rack plugin as well, that would be soooo sweeeet. Then it would work like Compact - do whatever in Compact and open in Reason DAW.
With the Rack plugin it would be similar: do ANYTHING in a Combinator in the Reason DAW and open it in another DAW, with Players, VSTs, REs, any combination. C'mon Reasongang - JUST DO IT!
Yes it is a relief that Combinators are working in the Rack plugin. So develop it more and more and then releasing a simplified version RE wrapper for free might be something.
But I could see 3 versions being useful, wrapper, Rack plug and a more comprehensive Reason Plug (as Rewire went down).
If all can be done in a One Reason Rack plugin, I would be happy. But if the development gets hesitated then a split in 3 versions might get every need met.
No. matter what, it will be interesting to see how far they take it. Please make it fly! :)
Last edited by Yonatan on 05 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

sleep1979

05 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
05 Sep 2019
RamonRivera wrote:
04 Sep 2019

The best reason to buy 10 now rather than wait for 11 is to make sure you have access to the last Rewire version in future and also to the Europa VST. However, if you want the lowest cost upgrade to suite then wait until it is released on 25th (only 20 days!). Actually, if you want the lowest cost upgrade then put on your patience hat and wait for the upgrade to be discounted in a few months!
When u say discounted do you mean £89 ? Because ive never seen it lower than that and reason 10 boxed is now £89
In a lot of shops Im gonna get it in a week what i worry about is if some deal at Christmas comes out with extra stuff , i really am just after the ten stuff now , mostly the ability to select multiple midi clips and look at them all together i really like that , theres barely anything in 11 even the multiple note tool is sub par when i tried out the rack plug in cubase le yesterday , cubases same tool kills it horizontally vertical with a fucking line tool and that right click toolbox wow wish reason had that i aint going back to cubase though does look tempting though

I feel the rack plugin should have been a seperate purchase coz i think your pushing current happy owners to look at other daws , for the first time in ages i looked at ugly ass ableton live and cubase , ( cubase is kinda good aint gonna lie , i could get elements which would be cheaper than the upgrade to reason 11 , is this the kind of thinking you want people to adopt ? Becauee I guarantee loads of loyal reason users have gone to look at ableton live ( or something else because. You featured it in your video , thats like mcdonalds featuring burger king ,
And by the way isnt ableton the most popular because its so easy to crack ? Do people actually buy that ugly program ?

Yonatan

05 Sep 2019

I agree that Reason is way better looking in some regards compred to Ableton Live and Reason also has some extra advantage for the recording part. Transport bar is so much more in center of Reason than in Ablive.
Ablive has more advanced midi at least for now.
And its Clip live arranging is popular. But I think that Reason would be a better pick for my taste if they get Blocks to do more live arranging and triggering from hardware pads etc. That would be a killer. :)

antic604

05 Sep 2019

Yonatan wrote:
05 Sep 2019
But I could see 3 versions being useful, wrapper, Rack plug and a more comprehensive Reason Plug (as Rewire went down). If all can be done in a One Reason Rack plugin, I would be happy. But if the development gets hesitated then a split in 3 versions might get every need met.No. matter what, it will be interesting to see how far they take it. Please make it fly! :)
I REALLY hope there's gonna be just one Rack VST version running native devices & REs, with added MIDI out and - perhaps, not necessarily - VSTs. I see no point in adding "Reason in a VST" - if I want to use Reason, I'll just use Reason.

Let them finish that and focus on the development of the core app!

Yonatan

05 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Yonatan wrote:
05 Sep 2019
But I could see 3 versions being useful, wrapper, Rack plug and a more comprehensive Reason Plug (as Rewire went down). If all can be done in a One Reason Rack plugin, I would be happy. But if the development gets hesitated then a split in 3 versions might get every need met.No. matter what, it will be interesting to see how far they take it. Please make it fly! :)
I REALLY hope there's gonna be just one Rack VST version running native devices & REs, with added MIDI out and - perhaps, not necessarily - VSTs. I see no point in adding "Reason in a VST" - if I want to use Reason, I'll just use Reason.

Let them finish that and focus on the development of the core app!
As things takes enough resources away from the core app, I am with you on that point. :)
Sometimes forget that RS is a smaller company. :thumbs_up:

two shoes

05 Sep 2019

i hate the new v11. i think they've betrayed their core userbase.

Last edited by two shoes on 05 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

diminished
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

wut
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

gullum

05 Sep 2019

two shoes wrote:
05 Sep 2019

All I could hear was (With the voice of Gollum) you ruined it you ruined it

dannyF

05 Sep 2019

two shoes wrote:
05 Sep 2019

betrayed? maybe ignored............ explain....

tc13

05 Sep 2019

two shoes wrote:
05 Sep 2019

Wtf!? I read your full post before it was changed...and so much anger and hatred over a computer program and a company seems to border to obsession in a very unhealthy way.

What is this ”core userbase” I keep hearing so much about? This is starting to go beyond stupid... That and ”loyal user” what does it really mean? As a ”loyal” user you get to upgrade to every new version cheaper, about a third of full price. In my book that counts as a reward for being a ”loyal user”

Complaining about an upgrade on forums is more or less the norm, it does not matter what app, or DAW you choose to look at. There are always going to be people that are unhappy, and as always they are vocal about it.

On all other places the reactions are very positive, I dont think I ever seen such reactions about a new version of Reason. And many negative posts I recognize since they post with the same name as here.
Last edited by tc13 on 05 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

EdGrip

05 Sep 2019

Here's where I'm at - I bought one of them £89 Reason 10 boxed upgrades last week, to be converted to R11 later this month.

And then I saw an offer for a brand new Live Suite licence that was too good to refuse. So I bought that too! (Sorry antic604!! ^_^ )
Exciting times ahead!

• Information