Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
diminished
Posts: 1647
Joined: 15 Dec 2018

Post 04 Sep 2019

And R11 will bring in tons of new and old customers.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

User avatar
Last Alternative
Posts: 1149
Joined: 20 Jan 2015
Location: the lost desert

Post 04 Sep 2019

Damn. Scary predictions. Can we all make a petition to send PH for the CEO to stop hiding and talk to us like human beings?
I feel like this is pretty serious and I’m seeing anxiety all over different websites too. All PH says is ‘Don’t worry!’ Buuuuut that’s not enough..
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 10.4 | iMac (27" Retina 5K, late 2015): OS Mojave, i7 Skylake @ 4GHz, 1TB SSD, 32 GB RAM, Radeon M395X | lots of sick gear

Yonatan
Posts: 1103
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

diminished wrote:
04 Sep 2019
And R11 will bring in tons of new and old customers.
I really do hope that calculation is right. And that the resources gets invested into bringing Reason to the 2020´s.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1811
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
04 Sep 2019
Damn. Scary predictions. Can we all make a petition to send PH for the CEO to stop hiding and talk to us like human beings?
I feel like this is pretty serious and I’m seeing anxiety all over different websites too. All PH says is ‘Don’t worry!’ Buuuuut that’s not enough..
why? have you ever read a prediction of a company’s fate on a messageboard that’s actually been right?

we’re not even good at predicting what the next software update is going to look like, yet we’re worrying about forum user predictions that the company is going to fold?

deep breaths, my friend, deep breaths. 😌

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6112
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 04 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
04 Sep 2019
people have been saying Reason is on the verge of extinction for many years now. they’re doing just fine.
^^ THIS ^^

And we know this for a fact, since their financials are public record. Additionally, for the millionth time - capital investment firms generally don't invest unless they see potential in success.
diminished wrote:
04 Sep 2019
And R11 will bring in tons of new and old customers.
^^ THIS ^^
guitfnky wrote:
04 Sep 2019
why? have you ever read a prediction of a company’s fate on a messageboard that’s actually been right?

we’re not even good at predicting what the next software update is going to look like, yet we’re worrying about forum user predictions that the company is going to fold?

deep breaths, my friend, deep breaths. 😌
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Indeed. I know I tend to be a glass half full sort of person, but some of these doom and gloom "predictions" are just...

:shock: :? :roll: :lol:
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

Andy
Posts: 74
Joined: 03 May 2017

Post 04 Sep 2019

FUD always pops up with each Reason release. I have been hearing that PH was going out of business since I got my first copy of Reason in 2004. What I always found weird were the individuals who swore they left Reason for better DAWs cant seem to stay away from Reason related forums.

I remember being a part of another DAW forum where one of the employees literally called out one of the whiners as a potential competitor spreading FUD. That always made me wonder when I see certain post around here.

User avatar
esselfortium
Posts: 1279
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

The claim that "PH had 20 years and did nothing" is particularly funny to me, a user since 2.5.

I remember rolling my eyes at exaggerated doomsaying posts like this 15 years ago, too 🙃
Last edited by esselfortium on 04 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1811
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

Andy wrote:
04 Sep 2019
What I always found weird were the individuals who swore they left Reason for better DAWs cant seem to stay away from Reason related forums.
indeed, it’s a strange phenomenon. 😆 what does FUD stand for? guessing Fear, something, Death, maybe?

User avatar
LABONERECORDINGS
Posts: 272
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 04 Sep 2019

fear, uncertainty and doubt = FUD :D

antic604

Post 04 Sep 2019

Raveshaper wrote:
04 Sep 2019
I think that Verdane is holding a lemon and I think by how rushed this announcement has been it signals an even bigger rush to sell. PH had 20 years and did nothing. I think Verdane is just as unimpressed as everyone else. The name change is damage control so the buyer will be more receptive to the unfamiliar brand name. Just my analysis.
That's a pretty big word.

I'm known to not be the most optimistic person here, but my take on the situation is slightly different and probably less gloomy. I think Verdane saw potential in RE platform and Reason's user base when investing.

The RE platform - as seen e.g. in the Juce YT videos - was conceived as a really forward-thinking framework and now it can clearly both transform REs into VSTs (Europa was the test case) or run as a VST in other DAWs (Rack VST). It can also be ported to browser / mobile and hardware, but that's not appealing to me so I wasn't giving it much thought, but I'm sure Verdane was. What if their ambition is to build a platform "competing" with the decentralised and scattered VST market, offering the benefit of single-account login, easy installation and updates, piracy protection, centralised marketplace? Sure, it's not gonna be appealing to Waves or Arturia, but smaller developers might be tempted to give up some of the profit to get rid of all the hassle! What really made me think this was the direction is name change to "Reason Studios" that I immediately linked to how Sony Santa Monica turned into Santa Monica Studios few years ago - they continued to create games for Playstation, but also were an "umbrella" company for smaller developers, helping them with tools, technology, marketing, etc. What if Reason Studio wants to be that for smaller VST devs, who'd from now on do REs taking advantage of all the infrastructure but would still be available to other DAWs via Rack VST? If they could pull it off, there's definitely money to be made there.

The user base - because I'm more of a music production tools enthusiast than a music producer, I'm a member and follow multiple Facebook groups for different DAWs or tools and believe me - no community is as vibrant, active and dynamic as Reason's. We probably have fraction of user base that Live or Cubase or by now even Studio One has, but literally NOTHING is going on in those groups. Also someone recently calculated the amount of money we spend on REs and that was 3 or 4x what we spend on Reason upgrades AFAIK and that's also worth something for Verdane.

The real question therefore is how Reason - the desktop app - fits into that? Can the RE platform and user base exist without it? I don't think so and I'm sure Reason Studios & Verdane are aware of that and they WILL develop it further, just were not able to show the big guns at 11. Looking at 9.5, 10.2, 10.3 and now 11 I can see slow increase in scope and complexity of the topics tey tackle, so perhaps indeed they're only now digging into this old code, but I guess better late than never?

As I said multiple times - I'm upgrading to 11 to have my native & RE devices in Bitwig, but I'm also staying hopeful I'll come back to Reason DAW one day, because I love(d) it despite it being frustrating as hell sometimes. If they can fix those frustrations - and they're not with what makes Reason special & unique, e.g. the patching of cables, mixer, skeuomorphic look! - I'm back in.
Last edited by antic604 on 04 Sep 2019, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6601
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

For those interested, Sonic Talk is about to begin:



I wonder if they will talk about Reason 11 and what they think about it.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1811
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
04 Sep 2019
fear, uncertainty and doubt = FUD :D
ah, thank you! :)

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 1811
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

esselfortium wrote:
04 Sep 2019
The claim that "PH had 20 years and did nothing" is particularly funny to me, a user since 2.5.
I dunno, I still lament the fact that we can’t record audio in Reason, use third party plugins, control hardware from MIDI in Reason, etc. 😂

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6112
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 04 Sep 2019

joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2019
For those interested, Sonic Talk is about to begin:



I wonder if they will talk about Reason 11 and what they think about it.
I expect him to spend an inordinate amount of time talking about ASM's Hydrasynth.
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

Andy
Posts: 74
Joined: 03 May 2017

Post 04 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
04 Sep 2019

I expect him to spend an inordinate amount of time talking about ASM's Hydrasynth.
That is one sweet looking synth. Digging the module version.

User avatar
EnochLight
Posts: 6112
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: your mom

Post 04 Sep 2019

Andy wrote:
04 Sep 2019
EnochLight wrote:
04 Sep 2019

I expect him to spend an inordinate amount of time talking about ASM's Hydrasynth.
That is one sweet looking synth. Digging the module version.
I have to admit - before I saw coverage on that thing, I was convinced my next hardware synth would be Roland's JD-XA, but the more I see and hear on ASM's Hydrasynth, I think I might lean towards that now. I've already got a System 8, so between the Jupiter 8, Juno 106, and JX-3P plugouts I've got all of my classic stuff covered. The JD-XA just doesn't seem to bring much new to the table. ASM's offering, on the other hand, seems just brilliant.
Win 10 | Reason 11 |  Studio One 4.5 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | Reactor 1TB SSD | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Panorama P-4 | Akai MPC Live | Roland System 8 and System 1 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland VT-4 | Roland MX-1

Cesco
Posts: 8
Joined: 07 May 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
03 Sep 2019
Secret ReasonTalk preview! Snuck in some updates on the mixer devices, including Dry/Wet for the Dynamics and Compressor and some updated labelling. Thanks for the feedback! :)

Image

Will it be possible to transfer / copy the settings from the mixer to the rack device?

and please add a fold-out spectrum EQ window for the Channel EQ.

Andy
Posts: 74
Joined: 03 May 2017

Post 04 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
04 Sep 2019
Andy wrote:
04 Sep 2019


That is one sweet looking synth. Digging the module version.
I have to admit - before I saw coverage on that thing, I was convinced my next hardware synth would be Roland's JD-XA, but the more I see and hear on ASM's Hydrasynth, I think I might lean towards that now. I've already got a System 8, so between the Jupiter 8, Juno 106, and JX-3P plugouts I've got all of my classic stuff covered. The JD-XA just doesn't seem to bring much new to the table. ASM's offering, on the other hand, seems just brilliant.
Yes reviews are looking good for it so far. Sounds excellent and the build quality is top they say. I will wait a bit to see whats coming from Sequential but 799 for the module is so. tempting.

User avatar
joeyluck
Moderator
Posts: 6601
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

EnochLight wrote:
04 Sep 2019
joeyluck wrote:
04 Sep 2019
For those interested, Sonic Talk is about to begin:

I wonder if they will talk about Reason 11 and what they think about it.
I expect him to spend an inordinate amount of time talking about ASM's Hydrasynth.
Yeah...not a mention.

Andy
Posts: 74
Joined: 03 May 2017

Post 04 Sep 2019

esselfortium wrote:
04 Sep 2019
The claim that "PH had 20 years and did nothing" is particularly funny to me, a user since 2.5.

I remember rolling my eyes at exaggerated doomsaying posts like this 15 years ago, too 🙃
I hope these doomsday Reason DAW preppers don't own any NI products:

"As I wrote late last night, NI has publicly stated they’ve cut 20% of their workforce."

"July-August 2019: Roughly 150 people, or 30% of the workforce, laid off. 20% are cut on August 29 in a single day."

https://cdm.link/2019/09/native-instrum ... s-layoffs/

Yonatan
Posts: 1103
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

Reason 11 - The Last Time I Give Propellerhead Money?


My Thoughts on Reason 11


Reason 11... is it worth UPGRADING?


REASON 11 | Game Changer | Step in the Right Direction | My Opinion | Reaction


REASON 11 ** NEW FEATURES** UPDATES & MY THOUGHTS


VST Reason 11 Release | DAWs on DAWs on DAWs | Best Music Production Software


reason 11 promo review my thoughts


Brand NEW FEATURES in Reason 11! 👀
Last edited by Yonatan on 04 Sep 2019, edited 4 times in total.

antic604

Post 04 Sep 2019

Yonatan wrote:
04 Sep 2019
Kickback don´t seem to be that enthusiastic about version 11 announcement
Well, she's upgrading ...to leave Reason. That's quite a popular direction I'm affraid...

User avatar
fieldframe
Posts: 739
Joined: 19 Apr 2016

Post 04 Sep 2019

Reason Studios is the closest thing in the music software market to what Nintendo is in the gaming world. They march to the beat of their own drum, they have an extremely vocal fanbase, and sometimes, they’re years behind the competition (how long did Nintendo hang onto friend codes before finally having proper online handles like Sony and Microsoft?).

And just like Nintendo, Reason Studios has released some real duds. Nintendo had Virtual Boy; RS had Balance. But just when it looks like maybe they really are doomed, they have a knack for turning it around with a smash hit. Nintendo followed up the lackluster GameCube with the world-beating Wii. RS rolled the ill-fated Record into the popular Reason 6.

Both companies will continue experiment, sometimes failing and sometimes succeeding, alternately frustrating and delighting fans in the process.
The Iron Law of Reason forums: All topics eventually turn into feature request threads; the only difference is how many posts it takes.

Welcome to TEST FIXTURE

User avatar
Boombastix
Posts: 1131
Joined: 18 May 2018
Location: Bay Area, CA

Post 04 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
04 Sep 2019
Yonatan wrote:
04 Sep 2019
Kickback don´t seem to be that enthusiastic about version 11 announcement
Well, she's upgrading ...to leave Reason. That's quite a popular direction I'm affraid...
If you look at KVR and some other forums you'll see many users who used Reason back in the days, but have been on another DAW for many years saying - "I'll upgrade to get all my Reason goodies into my current DAW". I think this will be a big advantage to Reason - to get this user base back and reactivated - then they can get sales every other or third update when new content makes sense for the upgrade price. So, yeah, some will fall off too, but my gut says long term this IS better for their sales - not to mention if they are also able to capitalize on new RE developers who come on board to sell plugins in this "crack free" environment.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Yonatan
Posts: 1103
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 04 Sep 2019

Boombastix wrote:
04 Sep 2019
antic604 wrote:
04 Sep 2019


Well, she's upgrading ...to leave Reason. That's quite a popular direction I'm affraid...
If you look at KVR and some other forums you'll see many users who used Reason back in the days, but have been on another DAW for many years saying - "I'll upgrade to get all my Reason goodies into my current DAW". I think this will be a big advantage to Reason - to get this user base back and reactivated - then they can get sales every other or third update when new content makes sense for the upgrade price. So, yeah, some will fall off too, but my gut says long term this IS better for their sales - not to mention if they are also able to capitalize on new RE developers who come on board to sell plugins in this "crack free" environment.
Thanks for the optimistic prediction. I really hope it will be a hit as you say and inspire RS to bring out even more improvements at a higher pace than ever before. I will probably stand off a bit and see what happens, if any point update make me jump off my chair.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Carly(Poohbear), Tousdesmonstres, zoidkirb and 5 guests