Notes to Track with Reason Rack Player,

Discuss VST stuff here!
Jmax

03 Sep 2019

So, I gather using Notes to Track will not be possible as a Rack Player (VST3)
Have the props talked about adding this later on? (if it's possible) I assume it would have to be integrated into the host DAW, making it impossible.

In other other words, what method would be used using UMPF with the Drum Player in let's say Studio One.
If I just hit record in the sequencer and play on the Reason Drum Player would it be recording the midi in?

Just trying to figure out how the Players will behave, or midi transmitted.

Apologies if this has been covered already.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2019

I think for now, that is not possible.

Just look at the pics from propellerhead site, and you see the send to track buttons are not available in players:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2019

mcatalao wrote:
03 Sep 2019
I think for now, that is not possible.

Just look at the pics from propellerhead site, and you see the send to track buttons are not available in players:

My guess is: IF (I hope they will) add Rack midi out, it will be up to your DAW to record the midi coming from the Rack, just like you would record yourself playing an external keyboard.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

boingy

03 Sep 2019

Yeah the Reason rack is just that - a rack. No sequencer, transport or mixer so it can't really send to track as that would require it to understand and interact with the host DAW sequencer. However if it does get MIDI out (please, please, please!) then you should be able to record that in the sequencer. I also wonder if there is scope for being able to drag and drop midi patterns and stuff from the rack to the host DAW but I'm not quite sure how that would work.

For anything else you need to stay in the Reason standalone. One thing I'm curious about is whether we'll be able to save a rack on the standalone and load it into the VST. I guess we'll be able to do it in a combinator if nothing else. I'm thinking of a scenario where you start in Reason with a bunch of players and instruments, sends notes to track then transfer the MIDI track(s) to another DAW and want the same instruments in that DAW.

I can't wait for 25th to start messing with this stuff! :D

dezma

04 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
03 Sep 2019
Yeah the Reason rack is just that - a rack. No sequencer, transport or mixer so it can't really send to track as that would require it to understand and interact with the host DAW sequencer. However if it does get MIDI out (please, please, please!) then you should be able to record that in the sequencer. I also wonder if there is scope for being able to drag and drop midi patterns and stuff from the rack to the host DAW but I'm not quite sure how that would work.

For anything else you need to stay in the Reason standalone. One thing I'm curious about is whether we'll be able to save a rack on the standalone and load it into the VST. I guess we'll be able to do it in a combinator if nothing else. I'm thinking of a scenario where you start in Reason with a bunch of players and instruments, sends notes to track then transfer the MIDI track(s) to another DAW and want the same instruments in that DAW.

I can't wait for 25th to start messing with this stuff! :D
There's a lot of examples of even older VST's that allow drag'n drop midi to a sequencer lane, just take a look at xfer Nerve VST (drum plugin). This would be the least cluncky way to do it, instead of recording midi out, which would off course still be better than having no way to export at all -> which I expect will be the case.

If you need to do this stuff in reason it would be an extremely bad workflow since you cannot drag n drop midi clips from reason to another sequencer. You'd need to open reason standalone, render to track, export to midi file and then import into the other sequencer. Basically you'd do this once then realize how this kills the workflow and then never use players again (in VST rack).

• Information