Glad I enjoy Reason as it is

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ShelLuser

03 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Man all this bickering about Reason 11 is pretty exhausting. I don't know how you guys do it. :lol:
Same how people in the Ableton camp complain about lackluster features (though the Abes forum is kinda quiet right now) and I think the same applies to the NI forums too, but those messages get carefully moderated away :puf_bigsmile:

But I know where you're coming from... and honestly?

As cliched as this may sound (and also keep in mind that my setup consists of 2 DAWs) but... within music / sound production I never looked at "limitations" (or better: lack of specific features) as something negative. At best its an obstacle to work around with, and that process alone can help you improve (generally speaking).

I've been using Reason since version 4 (I loved that one... no full screen like all the others did but a nice clean & small rack to work in) and even though it lacked audio recording I managed to squeeze plenty of good sounds out of it. Wasn't Thor introduced in Reason 4? Point being: it lacked features found in other DAW's but I couldn't care less about it. Because I worked around all that.

Maybe too bold of a statement but... If people could make good music with Reason 4 and some can't with Reason 10 then ... I think it's not necessarily the product but its user which is the problem. The Reason workflow isn't for everyone, and I think that's a pro. Same applies to Live btw but let's keep ontopic ;)

But yes... Like yourself I'm also very happy with Reason 10. To me the combination of Reason, Live (powered by Max) is the perfect combination :) Mainly because Reason is unlike any other DAW, and the same applies to Live. Maybe not perfect but they sure as heck have some weight behind 'm.
--- :reason:

calebbrennan

04 Sep 2019

Reason's Beauty selling point is it retains simplicity
I don't want it to duplicate features from other daws
and make it a complicated mess
I 've worked in cubase, protools and numerous
Reason is amazing in it is self contained extreme;ly efficient architecture

All you 11 Release Squakers
Look for an 11 point release a new RE that solves all problems
The RE is called Preperation H

reggie1979

04 Sep 2019

calebbrennan wrote:
04 Sep 2019
Reason's Beauty selling point is it retains simplicity
I don't want it to duplicate features from other daws
and make it a complicated mess
I 've worked in cubase, protools and numerous
Reason is amazing in it is self contained extreme;ly efficient architecture

All you 11 Release Squakers
Look for an 11 point release a new RE that solves all problems
The RE is called Preperation H
Like the other thread, I hope you don't work for customer service.

miscend

04 Sep 2019

Moaning about a paid update is now tradition. In whatever form Reason 11 turned out as, I would have been much more surprised if nobody complained than anything else. The only updates that don't get complaints are free point updates.

For me Reason is fine as is. Apart from lack of VST3.

adfielding

06 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Man all this bickering about Reason 11 is pretty exhausting. I don't know how you guys do it. :lol:
While everyone else seems to have huge lists of things they're disappointed about (which is totally fine btw), I'm actually pretty content with how Reason is right now.
I don't really feel I need anything more. It's such a relief.
I think that's a good place to be. I'm happy with Reason 10 as it is, and the only thing that was really bugging me (lack of MIDI channel support for VSTs) is something I ended up finding a workaround for. There are plenty of features I'd like to see added, but there's nothing there at the moment that's preventing me from getting my ideas out there. If anything, I think my somewhat critical attitude toward Reason updates in general comes from a place of wanting to see it succeed.

wendylou

06 Sep 2019

My two cents... When I started in the mid 80's with Steinberg Jones "Pro-24 III" (the precursor to Cubase 1.0), there was no forum and no HTTP websites. People discussed it on some USENET dot alt group. After I contacted Steinberg through my Citadel BBS email attempts to reach them, I invited Steinberg to that .alt discussion. Soon, I became a beta tester. That was the best way to send feedback and make requests. It was fulfilling to be a tester and trial new additions, and also make feature requests. But it was never complaining, just being part of the evolution of the MIDI software. Around 2000, after I no longer had a hardware MIDI studio, a Steinberg beta tester friend told me about Reason with its virtual instruments and cables. I was genuinely thrilled to see such virtualization because of the former expense and hassle of managing a large MIDI hardware studio. To this day, I take each Reason upgrade with the same attitude of thanks as it evolves. They have listened to user feedback and fulfilled requests over the years, and they have done things they swore they would never do (i.e. add digital recording, MIDI hardware I/O, etc.). It's terrific software and I doubt it is done evolving. Perhaps I'm patient, having been at this for over 30 years. I don't spend time complaining about what is missing because I have always used what I have to make music. To make my first dual track song, I modified a cassette deck to not erase one channel while I jammed live to a prior recording (I heard Dave Grohl did the same thing starting out!). Thus, I never forget the impact that multitrack MIDI had in the 80's. when previously we were relegated to 2 or 4 track tape recorders to create more than solo recordings. I'm not judging all the criticisms or the wish lists. It's just that I use what is available to make songs. And for me, having stuck with Cubase up though Cubase Score, dabbling in DECK to do the first digital recording and editing, and also messing with Apple Garageband and Logic, Reason remains my music creation choice. I take the offered upgrades as frosting on the cake and thanks, compared to the "Wild West" days of MIDI and home recording!
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

Iapetus 9

06 Sep 2019

Not complained one bit. I have stated that all upgrades can't all be winners. This upgrade is great for other people who want to use Reason as a VST, and I'm fairly confident that will bring in more sales. That said, my only wish for a proper Reason bridge didn't happen, and so I'll continue to use another DAW for older plugins. No big deal. The self entitlement of the net is funny some times. People "jumping ship" because their precious upgrade demands didn't meet their expectations...please.
38L > 51D every time.

Proboscis

07 Sep 2019

wendylou wrote:
06 Sep 2019
To make my first dual track song, I modified a cassette deck to not erase one channel while I jammed live to a prior recording (I heard Dave Grohl did the same thing starting out!). Thus, I never forget the impact that multitrack MIDI had in the 80's.
If only we could take some people back to 1990 in a time-machine, to remind them how good we have it now.

For those who think Reason is so limited, consider this.The first song I every recorded was with a 4-track (I know, it sounds like a luxury compared to Wendy's set up :lol: ). The first three tracks would be recorded on, then bounced to track 4. From tape, there's already a huge loss of quality. From there I would record on the remaining three tracks. Then connect the 4-Track to another tape recorder for mixdown, with incredibly limited effects. Forget about DI signal for your guitar, that would be a waste of a track. And if you didn't like the pedal overdrive, bad luck, it's locked in. If you played out of time, you re-recorded, none of this fiddling around with the audio within 1/128th of a bar. To have an amateur home studio setup was also VERY expensive compared to Reason's low buy-in price of $400.

Spend a moment considering the value of all the synths, drum plugins, and effects as standard in Reason, and do an average costing on how much you would pay for hardware. Then think about how many of those you use, and how many instances, and multiply the buy price. A song I'm working on at present has four synths, two guitar cabs and countless FX -and that's a minimalist project. Never in a million years would I be able to buy the hardware equivalent of what is available with the click of a mouse. If I were to add it all up, Reason is likely the digital equivalent of a $100,000 worth of gear. And that's not including the SSL desk. I too am glad I enjoy Reason as it is. To my mind, there are plenty of half thought out implementations that have been abandoned over the years, and some restrictive omissions of basic features we might expect from a DAW in 2019. But I'm sitting on a powerful workhorse in spite of that.

I'm not too concerned about the absence of features in the new release because nobody is forcing me to upgrade. It's not going to make any marked impact on what I create, if I wait another couple of years for the next release.

reggie1979

07 Sep 2019

How many people really think Reason is limited? Again, it just seems like all these "positive" threads are just complaining about the "negative" threads.

I don't find Reason limited. I just don't give a rats about developing it for other hosts (shrug)

I'd rather have those resources put into better workflow and handling.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

07 Sep 2019

I remember using my cracked copy of Cool Edit Pro back when I was a teenager and beats exported from Scream Tracker 3 and later Impulse Tracker. If teenage me had 10.4 my mind would be blown at all this whining.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
07 Sep 2019
How many people really think Reason is limited? Again, it just seems like all these "positive" threads are just complaining about the "negative" threads.
Hmm. I must admit I find it a bit ironic that the person who has posted the most comments in this thread (except for me of course) is you. After all you said yourself that you don't get this thread at all, which is fine. But the theme of the thread doesn't seem to resonate with you. So I find it strange you keep coming back.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2019

wendylou wrote:
06 Sep 2019
To make my first dual track song, I modified a cassette deck to not erase one channel while I jammed live to a prior recording (I heard Dave Grohl did the same thing starting out!). Thus, I never forget the impact that multitrack MIDI had in the 80's.
First two-track I did was by making a tape loop on a TDK cassette. I didn’t have any tape splice so I used sellotape. The tape kept slipping so I sanded the rollers a bit to give them some friction. I recorded a sort of drone and the sellotape bit of the tape gave me a beat as it skipped the sound.
I put a 99p mic from Tandy into an old acoustic and plugged that into another tape recorder as an amplifier. Nice distortion. Then I used a third tape recorder to record myself jamming along with the tape loop. Was lucky our school music room had a few tape decks :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Proboscis

08 Sep 2019

so.... it did a rewrite at each cycle ? I can see how the sellotape beat would indicate a new round, you could just stop at the end of a take you were happy with.

Anyway, that's brilliant. Technology makes us lose the opportunity to be innovative. I think I'll sell my Reason licence and Rack Extensions and invest in a wax cylinder studio setup

gullum

08 Sep 2019

I'm too happy with everything Reason and have no need to switch to anything else
This is what I used to record on back in the 80's

I had a cheap keyboard that I used to record drums manualy finger playing I could only record 1 take at a time then change tape around to play what I had recorded and record nest instrument on new tape

reggie1979

08 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Sep 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
07 Sep 2019
Hmm. I must admit I find it a bit ironic that the person who has posted the most comments in this thread (except for me of course) is you. After all you said yourself that you don't get this thread at all, which is fine. But the theme of the thread doesn't seem to resonate with you. So I find it strange you keep coming back.
Why wouldn't I come back? I have to set all of you straight! :D

boingy

08 Sep 2019

gullum wrote:
08 Sep 2019
I'm too happy with everything Reason and have no need to switch to anything else
This is what I used to record on back in the 80's

I had a cheap keyboard that I used to record drums manualy finger playing I could only record 1 take at a time then change tape around to play what I had recorded and record nest instrument on new tape
I'm loving the Marshall stack in a domestic environment. I bet the neighbours loved you!

gullum

08 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
08 Sep 2019
I'm loving the Marshall stack in a domestic environment. I bet the neighbours loved you!
I've sold it now so much love from neighbors now :D My friend just to hear a block away if I was home or not :D

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
08 Sep 2019
TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Sep 2019

Yes of course :D :thumbs_up:
Well you're obviously not alone regarding your opinions, so I'm most likely one of the few oddballs out there that actually feel content with the way it is.
Wherever one might stand on the upgrade issue it will be interesting to see what the point updates will bring. I''ll be ready with a new positive thread if there is a need for some balance. :lol:

TheGodOfRainbows

08 Sep 2019

One of the things about Reason I've always liked, is it's more simplistic sequencer. Ironically, this is the opposite of what many people seem to want: more complexity/more features over simplicity. I am of course not saying it should stay the same and never be improved, but just that in my case I seem to prioritize visual and functional simplicity over a more feature laden interface, and can wait quite patiently for updates.

For whatever reason, Reason gives me less of a headache when trying to make music than the other DAWS I've tried. And that's the bottom line.

reggie1979

08 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
08 Sep 2019
reggie1979 wrote:
08 Sep 2019

Yes of course :D :thumbs_up:
Well you're obviously not alone regarding your opinions, so I'm most likely one of the few oddballs out there that actually feel content with the way it is.
Wherever one might stand on the upgrade issue it will be interesting to see what the point updates will bring. I''ll be ready with a new positive thread if there is a need for some balance. :lol:
I'm not alone, I'm just the only one posting. The whole reason you started this was to get even with all the negative stuff, right? Now that the tide has changed, I'm not going to be fair weathered.

I love Reason. I'm just not upgrading 129 bucks for 11 (shrug)

Proboscis

08 Sep 2019

boingy wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Reminds me of something I sometimes tell people

"My neighbors listen to Slayer really loud a lot....... Whether they f#ing like it or not ! "

gullum

08 Sep 2019

Proboscis wrote:
08 Sep 2019
boingy wrote:
08 Sep 2019
Reminds me of something I sometimes tell people

"My neighbors listen to Slayer really loud a lot....... Whether they f#ing like it or not ! "
My neighbors also listened to Slayer but mostly me trying to play their songs :D

Creativemind

08 Sep 2019

TritoneAddiction wrote:
02 Sep 2019
since then, Mattias has seen our concerns, and acknowledged his understanding as to why many of us feel let down.
Did he, where or when did he say that?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

PhillipOrdonez

08 Sep 2019

I enjoy reason as it is too and don't understand those people who batch and batch and batch like a bunch of whiny little female chihuahuas.

I'm upgrading by the way because the features suit me. But if I wasn't I would shut up about it and only state so when answering a poll or something.

wendylou

08 Sep 2019

I've often wondered how many forum complainers end up upgrading, eventually, as the years go by? I can't imagine someone unhappy with e.g. the upgrade from Reason 2.5 to 3.0, only to stand their ground and stick with Reason 2.5, year after year. I'll bet some throw in the towel and upgrade. And, yes, some are dead serious and have left for other DAWS. Might be an interesting poll.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

• Information