If you are passing on R11, what would/will you buy for $129/$249 instead ?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
stratatonic

30 Aug 2019

Still happy with R8.3 and R10Lite, and I like working with Blocks, so I'm still onboard with Reason with no plans to vacate the premises.

There seem to be some sales out right now for this week as well - Addictive, Eventide, Sonible, Izotope ...

So what music software/hardware would you consider buying if you are bypassing this upgrade?
Last edited by stratatonic on 25 Sep 2019, edited 2 times in total.

Libraquaricorn

30 Aug 2019

I just ordered myself an Elektron Model: Samples - at approx $450. Deciding to pass on R11 justified it for me financially. The Model: Samples will pair nicely with my Monologue, and it is portable enough to come with me to work, where I often do nothing but pass time anyway (I'm a nightwatch for a psychiatric patient). The Model Samples will finally give me a sort of complete, hands on production platform that I can bring along in my bag. I considered getting an OP-1 or OP-Z, but after watching a lot of videos I decided that the Model Samples was the way to go, without having to set me back too much financially...

Yonatan

30 Aug 2019

Not fully sure yet but as AU takes some time I will have a moment to contemplate and wait for 11.1.

But I am curious how EZBass will work out.
Otherwise Black Friday/December sales might bring some REs in the spotlight.

More realistic is that I will try to find a new midi controller as mine has stopped working, having a 25 keys mini one left.

hurricane
Competition Winner

30 Aug 2019

Logic Pro X, with over 30GB of factory content, tons of instruments including Alchemy 2, midi fx players, and tons of high quality effects, costs $199. We have frequent updates usually loaded with lots of new features, and all updates are free.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

guitfnky

30 Aug 2019

a saxophone. arrives today. 😂
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

djadalaide

30 Aug 2019

Renoise's Redux plugin. Its a multiple pattern tracker as a vst plugin.

https://www.renoise.com/products/redux

I have renoise already so its 30% cheaper for me.. it supports timestretching now and curved envelopes / automation (just released this month)

motuscott

30 Aug 2019

How much krokodil do you reckon $129 will get me?
Guitfnky, I'm putting in a request for Yakety Sax.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Zac

30 Aug 2019

SKU086841-p1.jpeg
SKU086841-p1.jpeg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 2631 times

VariableX

30 Aug 2019

Im considering Rob Papin explorer bundle.. 80% off voucher 😃

mon

30 Aug 2019

Pay the rest of my R2O for “The Legend” (done), ”Complex-1” and buy “Quad Note Generator” and possibly “Buffre” :)
:reason: 10+
:recycle: :re: :refillpacker:

toddbooster

30 Aug 2019

I think it's actually $169 here, and that's like dinner on date night. It's a sad fact of modern life that there's not really much of any lasting value that you can get for even that amount of money. I could buy a few records maybe, or a couple of packs of bass strings and new cables, or a monthly transit pass (that won't even cover my car insurance!) I dunno... new pants?

reggie1979

01 Sep 2019

Pay bills.

Oquasec

01 Sep 2019

Besides FL Studio I don't think Ima pass on R11 for 130.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Creativemind

01 Sep 2019

hurricane wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Logic Pro X, with over 30GB of factory content, tons of instruments including Alchemy 2, midi fx players, and tons of high quality effects, costs $199. We have frequent updates usually loaded with lots of new features, and all updates are free.
Bargain and Logic is excellent. If I had a Mac I'd probably buy it.

Been demo'ing FL Studio 20.5 and man it's so powerful. As much as I love Reason think I'm probably gonna get FL Studio and use that unless 11.1 comes out and wows me.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

MannequinRaces

01 Sep 2019

djadalaide wrote:
30 Aug 2019
Renoise's Redux plugin. Its a multiple pattern tracker as a vst plugin.

https://www.renoise.com/products/redux

I have renoise already so its 30% cheaper for me.. it supports timestretching now and curved envelopes / automation (just released this month)
How is Renoise? Looks really interesting and different. Redux looks interesting as well.

To answer the OP’s question I’m considering the Korg Gadget2 plugin collection when it goes on sale again.

guitfnky

02 Sep 2019

Creativemind wrote:
01 Sep 2019
hurricane wrote:
30 Aug 2019

Been demo'ing FL Studio 20.5 and man it's so powerful. As much as I love Reason think I'm probably gonna get FL Studio and use that unless 11.1 comes out and wows me.
how are you liking the audio recording in that? I liked FL until I started trying to record audio, and then it was an immediate nope. I’ve also tried Studio One and Harrison Mixbus demos and they seem good, but just feel wrong to me, somehow. the only one I’ve tried recently that feels good to me so far is Cakewalk. go figure, it’s the free one. 😆

Yonatan

02 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
01 Sep 2019
the only one I’ve tried recently that feels good to me so far is Cakewalk. go figure, it’s the free one. 😆

How on earth can Cakewalk be free? I thought that daw went down. So it is alive still. Does it have a Mac version? (Im on mobile now)

Agree on Logic, cheap it is, but as long as it is supported on the Mac you have. The X have been going for years, so very much value. But the Mac computers are so overly expensive that they dont need to have high prices. In this way almost every music production course nowadays in Sweden, uses Macs with Logic, smart move. They have special educational deals.

Luckily Reason works on both platforms. My hope has been to see more of Reason in educational setups. But many students are choosing Macbook or ipad and Garageband for free...just a click to go to Logic.
Last edited by Yonatan on 02 Sep 2019, edited 2 times in total.

guitfnky

02 Sep 2019

Yonatan wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Creativemind wrote:
01 Sep 2019
the only one I’ve tried recently that feels good to me so far is Cakewalk. go figure, it’s the free one. 😆

How on earth can Cakewalk be free? I thought that daw went down. So it is alive still. Does it have a Mac version? (Im on mobile now)

Agree on Logic, cheap it is, but as long as it is supported on the Mac you have. The X have been going for years, so very much value. But the Mac computers are so overly expensive that they dont need to have high prices. In this way almost every music production course nowadays in Sweden, uses Macs with Logic, smart move. They have special educational deals.

Luckily Reason works on both platforms. My hope has been to see more of Reason in educational setups. But many students are choosing Macbook or ipad and Garageband for free...just a click to go to Logic.
not sure how you managed to quote me, but tag creativemind, but anyway...yeah, it’s free. it’s called Cakewalk by Bandlab now. guess they bought the rights to it or however that works, and they give it away free. you have to create a profile on their site to download it, but that’s about it. it’s solid.

I think it’s Windows-only, but don’t quote me on that.

Yonatan

02 Sep 2019

Guitfnky, sorry, fixed the quote name right. Mobile writing and editing...

Its incredible Bandlab offer free daw, guess they will make money on something else then.

VariableX

02 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Creativemind wrote:
01 Sep 2019

how are you liking the audio recording in that? I liked FL until I started trying to record audio, and then it was an immediate nope. I’ve also tried Studio One and Harrison Mixbus demos and they seem good, but just feel wrong to me, somehow. the only one I’ve tried recently that feels good to me so far is Cakewalk. go figure, it’s the free one. 😆
I might have to give Cakewalk a try, as good as S1 seemed I just couldn't be bothered with it, i just knew i'd make better music in Reason from the get go..

Creativemind

02 Sep 2019

guitfnky wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Creativemind wrote:
01 Sep 2019

i
Yeah the audio recording isn't great (haven't extensively used it though guitar wise but has no comping for one) but I was thinking of using it for electronic music and just continuing using Reason for guitar stuff.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Yonatan

02 Sep 2019

Well...there is a lot one can get for 129 euro...
One could get 6 and half years of unlimited digital distribution to streaming platforms.
R11 wont change my production dramatically.
Using the Rack in other Daw is very welcomed indeed but not that it will make me become better in production as worth equal of 6 years uploading of tracks.

zoidkirb

02 Sep 2019

Gonna funnel everything
into a long over due pc upgrade. Any leftover change from that can go to potential black Friday sales.
In a way I'm glad I already own the two best items from suite (complex-1 and drum sequencer) otherwise that whole bundle would have been rather tempting.

reddust

02 Sep 2019

Probably Spire VST, or maybe some other VST instrument like some bulgarian choirs or japanese traditional sounds I have on my list

• Information