Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
djadalaide

01 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
31 Aug 2019
djadalaide wrote:
31 Aug 2019
They haven't delivered what most of us want, we don't want the reason rack inside ableton live.

We want ableton live inside the reason rack.
The common theme seems to be people assuming their personal wants are the majority.
R11 Live Looping.PNG
R11 Live Looping.PNG (11.25 KiB) Viewed 4098 times

stratatonic

01 Sep 2019

musicman691 wrote:
01 Sep 2019
boingy wrote:
01 Sep 2019

From the FAQ: "We're working hard on an AU version of Reason Rack Plugin and plan to release it as a free update before the end of 2019."
Why they couldn't have gotten both vst & au out at the same time is beyond me.
It is surprising about the AURack timing, and somewhat of a warning sign of this company's commitment- why isn’t it ready to roll along with VST3 Reason Rack?.

I hope this company does not take too much time out of other Reason development for the arrival of that AU Rack.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2019

6502 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Is it true that Rewire is going away and that one can't load an old song file into Reason VST? That could limit things a bit if one wanted to rework an existing Reason piece in another DAW or with another DAW...
Just keep v10 on your machine and you can reload old projects.

QVprod

01 Sep 2019

djadalaide wrote:
01 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
31 Aug 2019

The common theme seems to be people assuming their personal wants are the majority.
R11 Live Looping.PNG
35 likes on a YouTube comment doesn’t signify majority.

chaosroyale

01 Sep 2019

gcopley wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Wow every step forward with this DAW is a fight. You can't express how helpful it would be to have a simple mix knob on the MClass compressor without getting into the weeds about ratios and whether you actually need it or not or talking about work-arounds.s any indication,
This times a million. I can't believe the way people make excuses for everything with "workarounds".

If everything needs a "workaround" then the features are not good enough, that's the whole fucking point.

The MCLass EQ sucks "...well, you can use 2 of them as a workaround"
The SSL doesn't have any useful 2019 features, but it ALSO doesn't accurately model the saturation of the original; "...well, you workaround with a spider and a saturation VST and..."

Look, I love the Reason concept, but some of you need to look outside of Reason and see how it compares to the current state of the art.

I have a *FREE* vintage desk style EQ VST which blows the Reason SSL EQ away, with the same basic operation and clear sound but options for multiple different desk models, and a choice of saturation types on the EQ bands and the output. So easy to try out different types of vintage Mojo.

I have 4 VST comps, including "vintage" models, and they add features the originals did not have -in case you need them-, such as optional saturation, wet/dry, and continuous ratio knobs, because its 2019. 2 of them are free. They are all just as easy to use as Reasons SSL but sound way better.

When the latest Reason plugins are not as good as free VSTs, that's not a good look for the future.

I really wanted to be excited about R11, but damn they make it hard.

EnochLight

01 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2019
djadalaide wrote:
01 Sep 2019

R11 Live Looping.PNG
LOL! Indeed. Out of literally (at least) tens of thousands of active users out there, 35 likes is... :lol: :lol: :lol: And I say that as a person who would love live looping built into Reason. It's a blast on my MPC Live.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Yonatan

01 Sep 2019

chaosroyale wrote:
01 Sep 2019
gcopley wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Wow every step forward with this DAW is a fight. You can't express how helpful it would be to have a simple mix knob on the MClass compressor without getting into the weeds about ratios and whether you actually need it or not or talking about work-arounds.s any indication,
This times a million. I can't believe the way people make excuses for everything with "workarounds".

If everything needs a "workaround" then the features are not good enough, that's the whole fucking point.

The MCLass EQ sucks "...well, you can use 2 of them as a workaround"
The SSL doesn't have any useful 2019 features, but it ALSO doesn't accurately model the saturation of the original; "...well, you workaround with a spider and a saturation VST and..."

Look, I love the Reason concept, but some of you need to look outside of Reason and see how it compares to the current state of the art.

I have a *FREE* vintage desk style EQ VST which blows the Reason SSL EQ away, with the same basic operation and clear sound but options for multiple different desk models, and a choice of saturation types on the EQ bands and the output. So easy to try out different types of vintage Mojo.

I have 4 VST comps, including "vintage" models, and they add features the originals did not have -in case you need them-, such as optional saturation, wet/dry, and continuous ratio knobs, because its 2019. 2 of them are free. They are all just as easy to use as Reasons SSL but sound way better.

When the latest Reason plugins are not as good as free VSTs, that's not a good look for the future.

I really wanted to be excited about R11, but damn they make it hard.

May you share what free VST is that SSL type of vintage EQ? Seems nice.

I acctually have come to like MClass for what they are, but oh yes, would not mind them getting an update.

I agree on your core point though, and that is about the many workarounds we have in Reason, because a lot is possible to route in combinator etc but I agree that this is one of akilles heels for Reason as well, leaving the DAW for DIY hobbyist who find it cool to spend x amount of time to figure out something techy tricky.
I love that it is allowed to be that kind of nerd inside of Reason, but all are not into that thing, they want to travel a little bit more smoothly and they may have deadlines or are a songwriter or producer who just want to move in a workflow as fast as any DAW out there.

The analogish visual style should inspire and is great tool for deep learning signal flow etc, but it should have the best of the digital as well, not having to route cables here and there.
I believe RS has done many steps in this direction, but agree that there is still a DIY attitude of complicated workarounds for things standard in other DAW or VSTs, where Reason could enhance it further that they do.
At same time, there might be a tendense from the market of digital audio that everything supposed being served on a silverplate, especially with the AI coming in more and more.

How progressive or conservative is one to be.

When is AI excellent creative tool and when does it get in the way of human accidental "wow, what happend" that can come out of working a bit to get something.
Mundane tasks I am so happy being able to skip. And some bread and butter standard routings is tiresome repeating too much.
Rather spend time arranging and recording and balancing elements than fiddle with standards.

Goriila Texas

01 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
31 Aug 2019
gcopley wrote:
31 Aug 2019

The list of things you guys want have been discussed to no end for YEARS. Meanwhile, the features never come and we're all just left waiting year after year hoping it's in the next release and then here comes justification after endless justification of why it isn't from other Reason users. Everyone is guessing.

If Reason Studios has zero intention or plan to add some of these basic features, then why on Earth can't they just state so, so that we can move on with our lives. Is that really so much to ask?
Well the things they said they'd never do, they ended up doing. No point in saying there's no intentions unless they know for sure there's no intentions. The list of things people want is not only endless but also very diverse. Some people want Ableton style clip launching, others want a score editor. No Daw (to my knowledge) has both of those things. Worth noting that every feature added in R11 Standard was a feature request. Problem for people on a personal level is waiting for things that aren't promised and then being disappointed. If you need a certain functionality, get something that provides what you need. Take control instead of waiting on someone else's unconfirmed timeline.
djadalaide wrote:
31 Aug 2019
They haven't delivered what most of us want, we don't want the reason rack inside ableton live.

We want ableton live inside the reason rack.

The thing is we can't let PH off the hook by saying "it's not the most requested features so we didn't do it". Nobody ask for a plug-in Rack version but they did it anyway. The truth of the matter is they don't want to add sheit to keep cost down as much as they can. They know we don't have access to the data so they like to hide behind that and act like the features they do give us is the most requested. If most Reason users are not asking for common sense features like multi track editing, track folders,gui for high resolution or makers and a long list of other needed features,that tells me a lot about the skill set of most Reason users. How the hell are Reason only musicians doing complex tracking,group editing and sample chopping with a 1990 sequencer and sample players? We cannot let them hide behind that lie (imo) about most requested features are being done while ignoring common sense features that should've been added years ago. No one should have to tell them about Markers for songwriters period!!! From now on when they bring up that they added what most users want while ignoring common sense improvements, I'm going to address them like they're stupid with no common sense passive aggressively to not get banned here or KVR.
"so I see you've added X but the SSL still doesn't have a mono button to check compatibility with mono platforms"? The fact we need a Re for that is crazy to me in 2019. No more hiding behind Fake user request,no one should have to tell a million dollar company what their obvious flaws in their software is. They want to keep giving us bullish instruments before making the DAW better saving money hiding behind this Fake user survey. I moved on to Studio One because they have common sense and know what to update concerning basic features.

Loque

01 Sep 2019

Goriila Texas wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Nobody ask for a plug-in Rack version but they did it anyway
Not true. This was discussed several times here. And lots off pl liked this idea and requested this feature. Not sure, why all the ragers now raise their voice.

And regarding lots of the rest you said, it was already there like the mono button - simple drag off a cable...
Reason12, Win10

Goriila Texas

01 Sep 2019

I must've missed that,even so as I was saying Reason needed a sequencer update 10 years ago,fixing that would've been much better regardless of who voted yes for the Rack in this forum period. Your second statement proves my case that they should be working on easing the workflow and cutting down all the workarounds. Nobody wants to flip the rack everytime to check mono bro lol. That should be a common sense update period in 2019.

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Goriila Texas wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Nobody ask for a plug-in Rack version but they did it anyway
Not true. This was discussed several times here. And lots off pl liked this idea and requested this feature. Not sure, why all the ragers now raise their voice.

And regarding lots of the rest you said, it was already there like the mono button - simple drag off a cable...

Loque

01 Sep 2019

Goriila Texas wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Nobody wants to flip the rack everytime to check mono bro lol.
Than you are on the wrong platform bro lol...
Reason12, Win10

Goriila Texas

01 Sep 2019

Yep moved on to a more complete DAW. I don't even use Reason I'm waiting to see If I need to sell it with the moves the new guy does. I haven't been on this forum in a while.

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Goriila Texas wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Nobody wants to flip the rack everytime to check mono bro lol.

Loque

01 Sep 2019

Goriila Texas wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Yep moved on to a more complete DAW. I don't even use Reason I'm waiting to see If I need to sell it with the moves the new guy does. I haven't been on this forum in a while.

Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2019

And you came back to rage. Nice move bro lol
Reason12, Win10

Goriila Texas

01 Sep 2019

:lol:
Loque wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Goriila Texas wrote:
01 Sep 2019

And you came back to rage. Nice move bro lol

moneykube

01 Sep 2019

whoops... I thought we were talking about hatchbacks :lol: :lol: :puf_bigsmile: :puf_wink:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

tronam

01 Sep 2019

stratatonic wrote:
01 Sep 2019
musicman691 wrote:
01 Sep 2019

Why they couldn't have gotten both vst & au out at the same time is beyond me.
It is surprising about the AURack timing, and somewhat of a warning sign of this company's commitment- why isn’t it ready to roll along with VST3 Reason Rack?.

I hope this company does not take too much time out of other Reason development for the arrival of that AU Rack.
To be fair, even VST is quite new to RS/Props and they're having to sprint like the wind to catch up with other companies who have been developing for that plugin format over the past 20 years. Many smaller devs use middleware tools to help port their plugins to other formats so they don't have to develop everything on their own. Magnus Lidström, the guy behind Malstrom and SonicCharge plugins, has a deep understanding of this since he made a popular dev tool called Symbiosis for helping make VSTs compatible with AU, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he has been helping RS with this whole process.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

QVprod

01 Sep 2019

Goriila Texas wrote:
01 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
31 Aug 2019

Well the things they said they'd never do, they ended up doing. No point in saying there's no intentions unless they know for sure there's no intentions. The list of things people want is not only endless but also very diverse. Some people want Ableton style clip launching, others want a score editor. No Daw (to my knowledge) has both of those things. Worth noting that every feature added in R11 Standard was a feature request. Problem for people on a personal level is waiting for things that aren't promised and then being disappointed. If you need a certain functionality, get something that provides what you need. Take control instead of waiting on someone else's unconfirmed timeline.

The thing is we can't let PH off the hook by saying "it's not the most requested features so we didn't do it". Nobody ask for a plug-in Rack version but they did it anyway.
That’s not at all what I was suggesting. The problem is assuming personal wants are the majority and then being upset when they’re not implemented. I’m a Studio One user as well, for many of the same reasons as you. I needed something more audio engineer friendly and that’s not Reason’s forte. Also needed a VST host pre 9.5. Buying Studio One was the solution for those tasks. When I need the group editing and other audio engineering/editing features, I just use the app that’s better suited for it. I still mostly produce in Reason though. I’m not upset at a non traditional daw for lacking traditional features. Even if they are the majority (VST support was for years before they added it) they’re adding what they feel is best for their product and that may or may not benefit individuals. Can’t please everyone. If their sales suffer, then they’ll know they’ve made the wrong decision.

djadalaide

01 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2019
djadalaide wrote:
01 Sep 2019

R11 Live Looping.PNG
Kind of does, if its only 5 days

Creativemind

01 Sep 2019

Something I don't understand concerning the new midi editing features. They give us a Shortcut to Send Notes Up an Octave in the midi editor which is great (and I personally wanted it) but not to sound ungrateful, you could already do that by typing it in, so considering there were only 8 actual features in this update and 2 devices (when there's literally 80+ missing features in Reason and 15+ being midi editing ones) that one could've been scrapped for a midi editing feature we can't already do such as midi chase (seems like the most necessary to me), midi comping, join notes (which I still can't understand wasn't implemented in Reason 9 when slicing a midi note with the razor appeared, obvious next step), colouring notes, remember last note length, type in chords, slice by grid or move notes by time (not just the snap.) Don't get that decision.

2 things I would like to ask (if anyone is on the Beta or Mattius can chime in) about the gif's regarding the new features on their site (apologies if this has already been answered on a previous page):-

Show Played and Selected Notes In Key Edit.

I notice the gif doesn't show the note displays (F#, C, D#m etc) and I also wanted to know if that feature includes showing you where the note is on your midi controller, 'cause that's the main thing I needed in this respect?

Also, wasn't there a midi editing feature not shown on there I heard on a previous page, some snap related thing?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Goriila Texas

01 Sep 2019

:thumbs_up:

QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2019
Goriila Texas wrote:
01 Sep 2019
[/size]

The thing is we can't let PH off the hook by saying "it's not the most requested features so we didn't do it". Nobody ask for a plug-in Rack version but they did it anyway.
That’s not at all what I was suggesting. The problem is assuming personal wants are the majority and then being upset when they’re not implemented. I’m a Studio One user as well, for many of the same reasons as you. I needed something more audio engineer friendly and that’s not Reason’s forte. Also needed a VST host pre 9.5. Buying Studio One was the solution for those tasks. When I need the group editing and other audio engineering/editing features, I just use the app that’s better suited for it. I still mostly produce in Reason though. I’m not upset at a non traditional daw for lacking traditional features. Even if they are the majority (VST support was for years before they added it) they’re adding what they feel is best for their product and that may or may not benefit individuals. Can’t please everyone. If their sales suffer, then they’ll know they’ve made the wrong decision.

QVprod

01 Sep 2019

djadalaide wrote:
01 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2019

Not at all... have you read the rest of the comment section? Or check the like to dislike ratio on the announcement video?
50C8F8E9-2950-4E3D-BB97-BC4503000370.jpeg
50C8F8E9-2950-4E3D-BB97-BC4503000370.jpeg (178.81 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
35 likes on a comment is nothing for a video with this many views and likes.

djadalaide

01 Sep 2019

QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2019
djadalaide wrote:
01 Sep 2019

Not at all... have you read the rest of the comment section? Or check the like to dislike ratio on the announcement video? 50C8F8E9-2950-4E3D-BB97-BC4503000370.jpeg 35 likes on a comment is nothing for a video with this many views and likes.
Does not mean anything in terms of feature requests.. Its a nice to have, no doubt, but its still not what a lot of hardcore reason users want.

There is one other comment talking about the same thing, so yes, i have read the comments section.

Waiting for a point release with the features i want otherwise, i will wait 2-3 years to see what the next version brings.

Nice talking to you,
bye!

QVprod

01 Sep 2019

djadalaide wrote:
01 Sep 2019
QVprod wrote:
01 Sep 2019

Not at all... have you read the rest of the comment section? Or check the like to dislike ratio on the announcement video? 50C8F8E9-2950-4E3D-BB97-BC4503000370.jpeg 35 likes on a comment is nothing for a video with this many views and likes.
Does not mean anything in terms of feature requests.. Its a nice to have, no doubt, but its still not what a lot of hardcore reason users want.

There is one other comment talking about the same thing, so yes, i have read the comments section.

Waiting for a point release with the features i want otherwise, i will wait 2-3 years to see what the next version brings.

Nice talking to you,
bye!
So all of the many likes and comments that show excitement for this VST option doesn't show that this is something a lot of people wanted if not something similar, but 2 comments that agree with your wants signifies a majority? That's quite an interesting conclusion.

Access to a Rack in other DAWs is actually something that has been requested before, and also provides similar benefits that people wanted when requesting bidirectional Rewire. Nonetheless, as I've said enough times, buy what suits your needs. No one's instructing you to like this upgrade. I skipped version 8 myself.

Nielsen

01 Sep 2019

The Reason Rack as VST/AU is a very great idea, but I think it should have been a standalone product for people who don't need the Reason DAW, and a free download for Reason 10 owners. Nearly everything else in Reason 11 comes across as quality of life improvements that could've gone into Reason 10.5. I'll just wait and see what happens in the coming months.

roxmooth

01 Sep 2019

Ok so My first time posting anything about Reason...My only complaint which i really have a problem with is if using reason 11 as a plugin...why would you take away the advance midi section to where i can assign each reason instrument to it's own channel instead of using multiple instances??? Just like Kontakt!!! I load an instrument and it automatically goes to midi channel 1 and so on..from there i can decide if i wanna stack multiple instruments on the same channel several times or use 16 individual channels assigned in my mpc software....P.S I'm 1 of those people with the old reason logo tattoo . :reason:

• Information