Felt Instruments: LEKKO - a character piano + tape-based sound design

Discuss VST stuff here!
Felt Instruments

30 Aug 2019

Hi there! I'm extremely proud to announce LEKKO - an intimate upright piano sample library for Native Instruments’ Kontakt. There are basically two parts in this library - an upright piano that was recorded imperfectly through vintage analogue kit for maximum character and a collection of beautiful, textural sound design patches, exploring the world of tape and modular effects.

I was using Reason a lot in the creation of this library - both as a digital audio recorder, but also for some creative routing and sound design. If you'd like to know more about the process - I'm happy to share!

This is not the most deeply sampled piano ever with a gazillion mic positions. It has a particular sound that I happen to love. And I hope you will, too.

Available now at an intro price of £29 (going to £39 on September 12th).

SO WHAT WILL YOU GET?
  • Piano sustains (5xRR). Three dynamic layers (one recorded, two simulated).
  • Characterful shorts (5xRR), going through finger-muted samples to full ringing. Three dynamic layers.
  • Irregular tremolos performed at two intensities (freestyle, not synced to tempo or anything).
  • All acustic patches include key release samples, recorded across the entire keyboard (5xRR).
  • 6 sound design ‘Afterglow’ patches, created by processing the raw samples with a selection of outboard equipment and tape.
  • 14 ‘Layers’ patches, allowing you to create your own combinations of sounds taken from the ‘Afterglow’ section.
  • 7.26GB download (ncw loseless compression, 12.6GB original content). All samples recorded at 96kHz. Presented at 24 bit, 48kHz.
  • Beautiful interface inspired by 20th century avant-garde design.
  • Full version of Kontakt 5.8.1 required. This library does not work in the free Kontakt Player.

More info:
https://feltinstruments.com/Lekko
Last edited by Felt Instruments on 13 Sep 2019, edited 1 time in total.

WillyOD

31 Aug 2019

I'm not a Kontakt guy and already have more pianos than I need (looking at you Pianoteq), but I like the way LEKKO sounds. :thumbs_up:
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

miscend

31 Aug 2019

Thanks I picked up the Walno the freebie. Beautiful website by the way.

Felt Instruments

01 Sep 2019

WillyOD wrote:
31 Aug 2019
I'm not a Kontakt guy and already have more pianos than I need (looking at you Pianoteq), but I like the way LEKKO sounds. :thumbs_up:
Yeah, it's pretty unique, actually! But I honestly can't decide whether I like the acoustic side of the library more or the sound designed one!

Felt Instruments

01 Sep 2019

miscend wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Thanks I picked up the Walno the freebie. Beautiful website by the way.
Thanks! I hope you'll enjoy this little patch as much as I do :-)

Felt Instruments

01 Sep 2019

Just a quick update - all downloads of Lekko and Wolno go through the Pulse app now. This basically means very fast downloads and hassle-free installation process. I've just finished sending the download codes to everyone who purchased Lekko. If you didn't get the email, please, check your spam folder and if it's not there, just get in touch at hello@feltinstruments.com

The e-mail also includes a link to patches with the pedal noise lowered. These come as default now with every copy of Lekko downloaded via Pulse.

Pulse links for Wolno will be out today as well.

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2019

This looks, and sounds awesome but can someone please explain to me why some Kontakt instruments/libraries don't work in the free version of Kontakt? I'm just genuinely interested.

I've come across a few libraries now that I would totally buy, but they require the $600 Kontakt player to use. What's the limitation?

Felt Instruments

02 Sep 2019

Only libraries licensed by NI work in the free Player and that license costs, unfortunately. That's why most indie developers' libraries work in the full version only.

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2019

Hey, thanks so much for the reply. I've actually asked this question directly to 2 other makers of Kontakt instruments and I've never received a response. I'll keep an eye out in case you bring this to any other formats ;)

boingy

03 Sep 2019

Felt Instruments wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Only libraries licensed by NI work in the free Player and that license costs, unfortunately. That's why most indie developers' libraries work in the full version only.
Yeah, it's a bit daft really. They give away a free player version of Kontakt but it won't work with most free libraries because of the above. Most people chasing the free libraries are unlikely to have the full version of Kontakt, because it ain't cheap. I suspect you'll find quite a few folks with free libraries using a less-than-legal version of Kontakt.

Felt Instruments

11 Sep 2019

Just a friendly reminder that the intro price ends tomorrow at midnight (CET)!

Lekko 1.1 is coming later this week.

esselfortium

11 Sep 2019

Steedus wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Hey, thanks so much for the reply. I've actually asked this question directly to 2 other makers of Kontakt instruments and I've never received a response. I'll keep an eye out in case you bring this to any other formats ;)
For future reference: If you own any Kontakt Player libraries, you can crossgrade to the full version of Kontakt for $125 during the 50% off sale that Native Instruments runs once or twice every year.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Steedus
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2019

esselfortium wrote:
11 Sep 2019
Steedus wrote:
02 Sep 2019
For future reference: If you own any Kontakt Player libraries, you can crossgrade to the full version of Kontakt for $125 during the 50% off sale that Native Instruments runs once or twice every year.
Ahh ok. Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

Felt Instruments

12 Sep 2019

esselfortium wrote:
11 Sep 2019
Steedus wrote:
02 Sep 2019
Yup, that's what I did a few years back :-)

joeyluck

12 Sep 2019

NI just needs to change the way they sell Kontakt. It may never happen. They don't even sell it individually in stores anymore (outside of their own store).

The full version, for $399, should be geared only towards those creating instruments and libraries; for people who want full editing capabilities.

They can keep things the same with Kontakt Player and how library creators license to sell libraries for the free version of Kontakt Player.

But they can also introduce a paid-for, intermediate version of Kontakt—for those looking to purchase and play (but not edit) libraries. Call it Kontakt Player Pro or whatever...

Or they can just drop the price of Kontakt :puf_smile:

Felt Instruments

19 Sep 2019

After quite some time of intensive work, I'm excited to let you know that Lekko and Wolno were just updated to version 1.1. Here's a quick overview of what's changed:

• There's now a second page on the interface that allows you to tweak the sound further (yes, including the much-requested sustain pedal volume!);
  • Another popular request was to introduce less CPU-heavy versions of the Afterglow patches. Well, here they are!;
  • It's possible now to select one of three echo types and three vintage reverb types. They were always included in the library but they were hidden behind the scenes and assigned on a per-patch basis during the sound design phase. Now you can make the choice yourself;
  • I've also captured one more vintage delay setting - sampled from a super-rare German BBD echo;
  • I've recorded some subtle performance noises for the library. There's a slider that allows you to dial them in - if you so desire;
  • The interface is more responsive and the knobs are smoother;
  • The folder structure is more tidy, making file navigation easier;
  • Some minor tweaks here and there;

The update is free so there's really nothing not to like about it ;-) All you need to do is to open the Pulse app, re-download the library and enjoy.

I can't wait to hear what you think!

Felt Instruments

07 Nov 2019

Hi guys! I'm beyond excited to announce that Lekko and Wolnonow run as standard VST / AU plugins for Windows and Mac. This is not only a significant rework of the whole library, but also a foundation that the upcoming Felt Instruments libraries (yup, there's more stuff on it's way!) will be built upon.

I'm a huge believer in lifetime free updates. So, in case you were wondering - yes, the update is free for everyone who purchased the library. If you're new to Lekko - it's perfect time to explore it's beautiful soft tones and dusty textures.

But that's not all!

- Lekko now supports MPE! That's right. You can now perform the Afterglow patches with a Roli Seaboard or similar controller, adding an unique expression on per-note basis. Personally, this has always been a dream for me so I'm really excited about this feature. I think I'll do a version for the Expressive E Touche in the nearest future as well. Stay tuned!
- There's now a beautiful articulation browser right on the interface. Simply click on the patch name on the top left, select an instrument you want to play and enjoy the sonic bliss;
- On the computers I'm using to test everything, the 1.2 version uses up to 30% less CPU. Hopefully it will be lighter for your machine, too;
- After a month of playing with Lekko, I've decided to tweak the top layer of the 'Yellow Dreams' patch a little. I like subtle stuff but I honestly feel like this one was just too subtle to hear. The change is more dramatic now and in general, more in line with the original intention;
- Some of the 'Afterglow' patches were re-balanced to make the sound more cohesive and performance-friendly;
- The interface is now Retina-ready. This basically means sharper graphics and text;
- The knobs' ranges have a wider range now so you can tweak the instruments in more detail;
- There's now an effect highpass filter knob added to the Detailed Tweaks page. I felt like adding a lot of reverb and delay could end up muddying the sound a bit so the idea here is to remedy that;
- I've decided to do some subtle tuning for a few of the tremolo notes;
- The sustain pedal bug is now fixed. And now the sustain pedal noise has round robin repetitions;
- All parameters are available for automation in your DAW.

Steedus
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2019

That's awesome news! Cheers for VST - and not only VST3 ;) - support. Definitely on my radar now, but that Wavesfactory Cassette plugin is next on the shopping list.

• Information