Scenic Hybrid Instrument - let's speculate :)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
eXode

29 Aug 2019

Probably a little more like the predecessor Atmosphere than Omnisphere. :)

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

29 Aug 2019

eXode wrote:
29 Aug 2019

It's clearly the Kontakt Play series, but without images.

A and B! Check!

Waveform display! Check!

Hardly any controls cos Kewl! Check!

25-year old samples licensed in on the cheap or a subset of existing Thor or Europa wavetables! Unknown

Devices like these live or die by the quality of the samples or sound engine. Almost any two randomly selected samples can produce something fairly interesting, so sound design on these types of devices is pretty easy to churn out interesting pads and textures fairly quickly (the Nebulae ReFill I did with Hollow Sun is the same thing in a ReFill format). But they tend not to work so well if the samples are essentially single-sample; it's best if they some form of built-in movement, those will stack better against decaying samples like a bell or percussion hit on the other oscillator.

eXode

29 Aug 2019

JiggeryPokery wrote:
29 Aug 2019
eXode wrote:
29 Aug 2019

It's clearly the Kontakt Play series, but without images.

A and B! Check!

Waveform display! Check!

Hardly any controls cos Kewl! Check!

25-year old samples licensed in on the cheap or a subset of existing Thor or Europa wavetables! Unknown

Devices like these live or die by the quality of the samples or sound engine. Almost any two randomly selected samples can produce something fairly interesting, so sound design on these types of devices is pretty easy to churn out interesting pads and textures fairly quickly (the Nebulae ReFill I did with Hollow Sun is the same thing in a ReFill format). But they tend not to work so well if the samples are essentially single-sample; it's best if they some form of built-in movement, those will stack better against decaying samples like a bell or percussion hit on the other oscillator.
But Scenic also has the enigmatic EDIT button...

:)

Breach The Sky

29 Aug 2019

I just realized that the patch name ("basic lpg") must stand for "basic low pass gate", but that sounds more like an effect patch, to me. Maybe that suggest that the samples are processed with a modular-style lpg, and the lpg is just one of many modifiers, like in Europa for instance. The idea might be that you then can swap samples to be processed by the engine for experimentation, random pleasant accidents, whatever, or something idk.. Pure speculation. :lol:

I'm not entirely sure what the "space" thing would be in that case tough... :|

MrFigg
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

29 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
29 Aug 2019
Could it be a pleasant sounding version of these?

https://glitchmachines.com/products/polygon/

https://glitchmachines.com/products/cataract/
Never :-D
Reason12, Win10

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

29 Aug 2019

eXode wrote:
29 Aug 2019

That's the claim-prevention button :lol:

Maxsu

31 Aug 2019

eXode wrote:
29 Aug 2019

If its cheaper I will instantly buy it :D

Last Alternative

31 Aug 2019

Whatever it is it’s too big and should be included in 11. My guess is it creates the divine sounds of Heaven all the way down to the tormented shrieks of Hell and everything in betwixt.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

boingy

31 Aug 2019

eXode wrote:
29 Aug 2019

You're gonna be really unhappy when you click the enigmatic EDIT button and just get a file selection dialog box showing you a bunch of wav files :lol:

miscend

31 Aug 2019

Looks like another throwaway instrument to be honest. Thor was the last great instrument they made.

Eusantis

31 Aug 2019

Now "to be honest" is the same that to be negative, apparently.

antic604

31 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Looks like another throwaway instrument to be honest. Thor was the last great instrument they made.
Right :lol: :roll:

Loque

31 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
31 Aug 2019
I like Europa and Grain very much. Parsec is pretty cool too.
Reason12, Win10

seqoi

05 Sep 2019

Did i missed some? I remember Mattias posted few screenshots and videos back then when Europa was in beta. Perhaps he posted something here some screenshots or something?

Regards

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

It would make sense for them to release a video on Scenic pretty soon. Strategically it would be a great push for both the instrument itself and for the Reason 11 Suite.

I'm curious about the synth.

antic604

05 Sep 2019

seqoi wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Did i missed some? I remember Mattias posted few screenshots and videos back then when Europa was in beta. Perhaps he posted something here some screenshots or something?

Regards
Do you really think we'd miss it? :) :D :D :puf_bigsmile:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

I was wondering if the did co-dev with NI for this.
straylight.gif
straylight.gif (36.8 KiB) Viewed 2423 times
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

riemac

05 Sep 2019

Boombastix wrote:
05 Sep 2019
I was wondering if the did co-dev with NI for this.
straylight.gif
Wouldn‘t that be very similar to Grain?

seqoi

05 Sep 2019

antic604 wrote:
05 Sep 2019
seqoi wrote:
05 Sep 2019

Regards
Do you really think we'd miss it? :) :D :D :puf_bigsmile:
Hehe i don't that's why i ask you guys. I know not even an electron can pass by this forum without being noticed :mrgreen:

Regards

FLVZ

05 Sep 2019

miscend wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Grain is a fantastic instrument, Complex I've not trialed since I'm content with VK2 but yeah Props definitely have a track record making great devices! Lets hope that continues...

fieldframe
RE Developer

05 Sep 2019

Flavolous wrote:
05 Sep 2019
miscend wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Grain is a fantastic instrument, Complex I've not trialed since I'm content with VK2 but yeah Props definitely have a track record making great devices! Lets hope that continues...
Parsec 2 is an excellent instrument too, and PX7 remains the most intuitive and immediate interpretation of the DX7. Europa and Grain are well-regarded even if they're not as groundbreaking as Thor was, and Complex-1 has gotten rave reviews from knowledgable tastemakers like Peter Kirn.

Reason Studios is still a master of softsynths; they just also make a bunch of decent but unremarkable romplers that could come from any Kontakt sample vendor. I'm hoping Scenic is more of the former than the latter.

sleep1979

05 Sep 2019

miscend wrote:
31 Aug 2019
Amen about the thor part its still the best the others are good thoug, but i feel robbed we didn’t get this in standard 11 i wont get suite
I think we should get a discount thats if its worth it , if reason had a cinematic
Plug in with strings and atmospheres a quality one it would be complete why was this put in suite? Can we get a discount voucher if we upgrade?

platzangst

06 Sep 2019

"why was this put in suite?"

Probably to try and get you to buy the suite.

The number of you who are almost eager to dismiss the thing outright when we haven't actually seen it in action at all is kind of amazing.

Kalm

06 Sep 2019

CrunkNationEnt wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I'm willing to bet it is similar to the ETHEREAL EARTH that is included in the FREE Komplete Start!
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ete-start/
Awesome sounding and inspirational synth, BTW.
This is what its more akin to most likely as I have two of them and the layout is exactly the same pointed at the same market
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

• Information