Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
halfnhalf

28 Aug 2019

miscend wrote:
26 Aug 2019
halfnhalf wrote:
26 Aug 2019

They are niche DAWs but very capable.
Definition of Niche:

1. denoting or relating to products, services, or interests that appeal to a small, specialized section of the population.b

You made my point for me. Thank you.

tobypearce

28 Aug 2019

Like a lot of others I've been following this thread, and chipping in once or twice.
Like some I even thought of going to a different DAW now that option is opened up. I actually started looking at what Bitwig, Studio One etc offered.

Then I got back to actually making some music, and....

I love Reason to bits, for a hundred and one reasons. Mostly I use it to make music, and I just love making music. My stuff (I hope) is sounding better than ever, and I have some wonderful tools available - in Reason. It's just great.
https://onetrackperweek.com
One year - 52 tracks - Electronic Dance Music

BadKelly

28 Aug 2019

I was holding out on buying Serato Sample to see if PH was going to update slice edit in R11. Guess I’ll be checking out that Serato Sample now.

EnochLight

28 Aug 2019

BadKelly wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I was holding out on buying Serato Sample to see if PH was going to update slice edit in R11. Guess I’ll be checking out that Serato Sample now.
I own it. Just be prepared that, due to limitations in the VST spec, you can't save your samples in an instance of Serato Sample, so if you move ( or lose :shock: ) the source sample - you're screwed. Other than that, Serato Sample works very similar to an MPC.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

BadKelly

28 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2019
BadKelly wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I own it. Just be prepared that, due to limitations in the VST spec, you can't save your samples in an instance of Serato Sample, so if you move ( or lose :shock: ) the source sample - you're screwed. Other than that, Serato Sample works very similar to an MPC.
Thanks for the info. I like the similarities it had with the MPC. I really want an MPC Live, but I don’t have the money for that right now. I have an MPD 24 and a Samsung Galaxy Book that I want to use with Serato Sample for a budget style MPC Live.

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
28 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
28 Aug 2019

for a truly authentic water boiling experience, you need to boil it in a stone jug over a forest fire or lava
Or you could just take a really top notch thermos flask? :lol:
that would be one impressive thermos! 😂
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

28 Aug 2019

BadKelly wrote:
28 Aug 2019
EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Thanks for the info. I like the similarities it had with the MPC. I really want an MPC Live, but I don’t have the money for that right now. I have an MPD 24 and a Samsung Galaxy Book that I want to use with Serato Sample for a budget style MPC Live.
If you've already got an MPD 24, and would like to (eventually) pick up an *MPC Live proper, why not just pick up the MPC Software? It's compatible with pretty much all MIDi controllers - including your MPD24 - comes with a ton of plugins and features, and literally works like the MPC. Not to mention, if you pick up a Live someday, you can then transfer your projects to it and work on them without having to lug around a Samsung Galaxy Book.

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-software-2

It does go on sale usually around Black Friday, etc.

Full disclosure: I own an MPC Live and freak'n love using it in standalone, so I am totally biased. :D :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

tronam

28 Aug 2019

Many users didn't upgrade to Reason 9.x or 10.x until some midcycle feature was added. I suspect the same will hold true for 11.x. Reason's development cycle has had a tendency to be around 18 months or so, plenty of time for additional improvements in response to user feedback. As a Logic user I'll likely wait until AU rack support is released before upgrading. That will give me a little more time to save up for Suite, which I do think is a really good value for the content included. Granted, I only own a couple of the included items and for some it might be far less worthwhile. I do wish they offered some kind of progressive discount for people who already own the majority of included REs. The Scenic Hybrid Instrument better be amazing to woo them. :)
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

selig
RE Developer

28 Aug 2019

Ad0 wrote:
28 Aug 2019
One advantage of developing RE now is that it's instantly multiplatform in all DAWs as long as you buy Reason.
They should make a very thin VST version of Reason only hosting a single RE with near-zero overhead. Give that for free, and people will swarm to Rack Extensions. They get their own unified store, unified architecture etc.
Ha, I just suggested the exact same thing to the company previously known as Propellerhead Software!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

28 Aug 2019

What's the most amount of pages a thread has had on Reasontalk, is this it? :lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Last Alternative

28 Aug 2019

Keep it going for science!
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

28 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
28 Aug 2019
What's the most amount of pages a thread has had on Reasontalk, is this it? :lol:
Looks like the "official" launch thread for Reason 9 was just 17 pages:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7494758

But then there was a separate 17 page thread saying how bad Reason 9 was:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7494821

So technically, that's... 34 pages dedicated to Reason 9? :lol:

The launch thread for 9.5 made it to 41 pages:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7500299

And the launch thread for 10 made it to 49 pages:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7503208

BadKelly

28 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2019
BadKelly wrote:
28 Aug 2019

If you've already got an MPD 24, and would like to (eventually) pick up an *MPC Live proper, why not just pick up the MPC Software? It's compatible with pretty much all MIDi controllers - including your MPD24 - comes with a ton of plugins and features, and literally works like the MPC. Not to mention, if you pick up a Live someday, you can then transfer your projects to it and work on them without having to lug around a Samsung Galaxy Book.

https://www.akaipro.com/mpc-software-2

It does go on sale usually around Black Friday, etc.

Full disclosure: I own an MPC Live and freak'n love using it in standalone, so I am totally biased. :D :lol:
Oh shit, that’s a much better idea! I liked the idea of Serato Sample being a VST that I can use in Reason, but looks like MPC Software suppers VSTs so I could use R11 rack with it.

MusicianX

28 Aug 2019

If I WERE to buy another DAW it would DEFINITELY be Logic Pro. I’m really thinking about it now but my fear is how to transfer everything from Reason? Will I have to make everything audio files and start over with Logic’s midi instruments and fx? My vocals and guitars are all audio so no big deal but what about all the synths & stuff? I don’t see how there’s any way to transfer my Reason midi files but honestly, if it’s possible I will most likely do it and sell my Reason license. Never thought I would say that but it’s clear after all these years that in the end of disappointing anticipation, Reason is not what I was looking for.
I already own Logic Pro but transferring my reason projects over to logic is the problem for me as well. Its not a question of how to do it for me, I know exactly how its just a daunting task. Thinking about it now that's the only reason I haven't left reason completely yet. The tedious task of transferring over but I've already started the process to jump ship it'll just be a week or two to fully complete.

DonnieAlan

28 Aug 2019

Its been suggested somewhere earlier in this multi-page discussion, that the purpose behind R-11 is draw in more users from other DAWs. That might be true. Of course, many of use were already using via Rewire in our DAWs. I've used Reason since R-4 with my Pro Tools DAW. I never used Reason as a DAW, but love it as a rack instrument. I've suggested many times that Rewire should be made a 2 way street so that not only could you route audio FROM Reason to your DAW for further processing, but also route audio from other tracks in your DAW TO Reason to use some of their very special FX, such as Alligator, Scream, or Neptune, etc. Of course, making Rewire a 2 way street never happened. But now with R-11 it no longer matter because Reason as a plugin will allow you to do that. That's nice. And could open up some nice creative possibilities.

Having said that, as a Pro Tools user, we'd still need to host R-11 VST in something else, such as Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork. That adds a layer of additional routing and such that might make things difficult to pull off. So, with that in mind, there are 3 things I'd love to see Reason Studios do.

1) Come out with an AAX version of Reason. That solves a lot issues right off the bat
2)Allow VST hosting in the rack even when using Reason as a plugin in another DAW. That would open up all kinds of creative music-making possibilities. I've never understood the limitation of not allowing VST hosting with Reason in slave mode via Rewire, and I don't get the limitation in the new version either. Why limit the options? If the issue is the VST platform itself, which has been suggested by others, then maybe this new version of Reason will perhaps motivate some developers to come out with RE versions of their plugins and VIs (Looking at you Synapse Audio, and Waves, and a few others!).
3)Major MIDI overhaul. Put MIDI IN/OUT ports on just about everything and allow for MIDI cable routing much like we can do now with the audio/cv cables on the back of the rack. Basically, from and to just about anything.

Anyhow, that's my 3 wishes. Now, someone find me that magic lamp!

Aosta

28 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Keep it going for science!
MAGNUS.jpg
MAGNUS.jpg (94.51 KiB) Viewed 3103 times
Tend the flame

MusicianX

28 Aug 2019

How does making Reason a plugin bring in more users? It does less than Rewire does. Who’s going to pay full price for Reason just use it as a plugin? No one outside of the Reason user base is going to buy in on non-resellable Re period. Imo only current Reason users see the value of the Rack plugin.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I just don't see this being that great of a move. I mean I'm sure some ppl will buy it but again I don't see it being that great of a move for business like others are saying.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

DonnieAlan wrote:
28 Aug 2019
2)Allow VST hosting in the rack even when using Reason as a plugin in another DAW. That would open up all kinds of creative music-making possibilities. I've never understood the limitation of not allowing VST hosting with Reason in slave mode via Rewire, and I don't get the limitation in the new version either. Why limit the options? If the issue is the VST platform itself, which has been suggested by others, then maybe this new version of Reason will perhaps motivate some developers to come out with RE versions of their plugins and VIs (Looking at you Synapse Audio, and Waves, and a few others!).
3)Major MIDI overhaul. Put MIDI IN/OUT ports on just about everything and allow for MIDI cable routing much like we can do now with the audio/cv cables on the back of the rack. Basically, from and to just about anything.
You know some other DAW users use The Drop filter, for $99 bucks, or similar filter stuff. Imagine when producers realize they can use The Legend RE in a Reason Rack VST and just route audio through The Legend filter like an FX and mix it up with some VST FXs - I'm pretty sure if the message gets across you can have this power at your fingertips - that is mind blowing! They are soo close to making it super, just need Reason Rack VST to host VSTs, VST midi out, int. midi routing and rack midi out. You could essentially make it feature wise like Blue Cat's Patchworks (for the same cost as Reason Intro) - I'm surprised they did not see this initially - but good they now consider it - we just need them to understand that VST in the Reason Rack VST is key to make it 100%.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

yahsmith

28 Aug 2019

Hey guys I have been with Reason since 2..if you guys remember “Reason“ was never supposed to be a DAW in the first place....with the whole VST thing I think it’s time to look at Reason like Native Instruments Maschine software and that might be a good thing

hari_seldon

28 Aug 2019

ShawnG wrote:
28 Aug 2019
hari_seldon wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Finally, I can use Reason in a fully featured DAW. Thank you Propellerhead!

Thank you for investing your upgrade cycle to this feature. Personally, I wish Reason would switch to a license plus subscription model like ProTools so we can get away from the charade of update cycles, and move to rolling updates as you complete stable new features.
aren't you supposed to be working on the foundation? or is propellerheads somehow involved?

I could not possibly disagree more about the subscription model, but I like the username, well done sir. :thumbs_up:
What does it matter whether they have a subscription model to fund rolling updates or some arbitrary version update as long as it is revenue neutral to the customer. You still have your original license which you paid for, and you still have to pay for the version updates. So, if I pay $60/yr for a support subscription or $120 every two years for a version update, it is irrelevant to me from a cost standpoint. The key thing is we end the charade of trying to come up with features to sell a version update, and we get new features as they are stable. This has worked out well for ProTools, as far as I am concerned.

dmcghee

28 Aug 2019

I am very excited about the new Reason 11 update. I stated using Reason at version 4 with Record after doing all music making with a MPC4000 and hardware synthesizers, samplers and hard disc recorders. I have purchased every Reason update since and currently on 10.4. Lately I been sequencing exclusively on the MPC X using IAC and midi clock to sync with Reason for the Rack and track and mix in Reason. Reason Studio VST3 as a plugin and all my Rack Extensions in the MPC X in controller mode will be great combo for the way I like to work. This update couldn’t have come at a better than now.

yahsmith

28 Aug 2019

hari_seldon wrote:
28 Aug 2019
ShawnG wrote:
28 Aug 2019

aren't you supposed to be working on the foundation? or is propellerheads somehow involved?

I could not possibly disagree more about the subscription model, but I like the username, well done sir. :thumbs_up:
What does it matter whether they have a subscription model to fund rolling updates or some arbitrary version update as long as it is revenue neutral to the customer. You still have your original license which you paid for, and you still have to pay for the version updates. So, if I pay $60/yr for a support subscription or $120 every two years for a version update, it is irrelevant to me from a cost standpoint. The key thing is we end the charade of trying to come up with features to sell a version update, and we get new features as they are stable. This has worked out well for ProTools, as far as I am concerned.

I hate subscription...the way that reason or ableton is now I can buy It straight out and if I don’t like the next update I can stay on whatever version I have, you don’t have to keep shelling out money...

WeLoveYouToo

29 Aug 2019

selig wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Ad0 wrote:
28 Aug 2019
One advantage of developing RE now is that it's instantly multiplatform in all DAWs as long as you buy Reason.
They should make a very thin VST version of Reason only hosting a single RE with near-zero overhead. Give that for free, and people will swarm to Rack Extensions. They get their own unified store, unified architecture etc.
Ha, I just suggested the exact same thing to the company previously known as Propellerhead Software!
:)
omg.
it all makes sense now.
brilliant deduction
(no sarcasm)

hari_seldon

29 Aug 2019

yahsmith wrote:
28 Aug 2019
hari_seldon wrote:
28 Aug 2019

I hate subscription...the way that reason or ableton is now I can buy It straight out and if I don’t like the next update I can stay on whatever version I have, you don’t have to keep shelling out money...
Ableton charged me $249 for an update and Reason charged me $119 for the last one. What do I care whether I pay that over time for rolling updates or a monolithic updates. The rolling update is just a better way to meet customer requirements better than the monolithic update. Engineers need to be paid for their time, and there are features I would like in a more timely fashion. Your entitled to your opinion, but you don't have to be knee jerk dismissive to the realities. Look at the 29 pages of complaints.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Probably some thread about "The Reason sound". :lol: At least if you add them all together.

• Information