Can't use Melodyne Editor VST in Reason 10

Discuss VST stuff here!
WeLoveYouToo

08 Mar 2019

ScuzzyEye wrote:
07 Mar 2019

We can use the Melodyne VST because we're on Windows.

It was the multi-track feature that made me switch to Melodyne. Being able to see the target notes (export vocal guide track with a simple sine synth) while doing corrections, makes the process so much faster. I was really hoping Reason's multi-track feature would let me see MIDI and audio at the same time.
OMG i don't know why i didn't realize that. sorry. ok, now it all makes MUCH more sense. after the first reply i completely forgot win and osx have different implementations of melodyne vst.

yeah, i dig being able to see multiple midi lanes in reason at once now, but most of my work is with audio (or in cases like pitch modulation where midi controls parameters of an fx on audio) so i also really hope for that feature in the future as well.

EnochLight

08 Mar 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
07 Mar 2019
i am not going to spend anymore time on this, i have supplied a drum and a vocal both showing how terrible reason’s pitch adjust can sound where melodyne shines.
Terrible? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: That seems a bit hyperbolic. All 3 examples sound fine, and in a mix you could absolutely NOT tell a difference. Even in the example you posted, the difference is hardly audible. I realize yours isn't a scientific test, but when you razored the clip in Reason, you time stretched a portion of the clip - it's easily visible in the waveform (as Selig illustrated). This means the comparison to your example in Melodyne is flawed.

Still, use what works for you. If you prefer Melodyne, go for it. No one is going to convince you otherwise, and that's cool.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Moderndayfreak

13 Apr 2019

How are you using Melodyne in Reasons? I mapped it via the vst plugin folders but it doesn't see it.

Melodyne is 1000x better than Reasons pitch correction. It's the algorithm and the way it corrects the vocals. Reasons pitch correction isn't there yet.

Loque

13 Apr 2019

Moderndayfreak wrote:
13 Apr 2019
How are you using Melodyne in Reasons? I mapped it via the vst plugin folders but it doesn't see it.

Melodyne is 1000x better than Reasons pitch correction. It's the algorithm and the way it corrects the vocals. Reasons pitch correction isn't there yet.
Thx for that info...
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

13 Apr 2019

MattiasHG wrote:
07 Mar 2019
You can actually compare them. In fact, we did blind tests with Melodyne and our own Pitch Edit on vocals. No one we tested it on could tell the difference and when counting any preferences for one or the other, it was pretty much an even split.

There are of course differences in how you use them, and what I think you're getting at is that Melodyne's leagues ahead on content that isn't vocals, but for vocals I'd say we're on pretty even footing when you get to know it. The Pitch Edit mode in Reason is designed only for vocals really. :)

On a more general note, Reason has three different pitch/time stretch algorithms depending on the content. Melody, vocal and allround. We try to auto-select what makes sense, but you might have to double-check that.
Is it a secret who supplied the Reason pitch correction code, or is it a home brew? I know Zplane license their code to many DAW's (FL Studio is one example) and their current algorithm works quite well on bass sounds, whereas the current reason implementation does not detect the bass notes. So you cannot get midi from a bass line, and trying to re-pitch bass notes, well it does not sound well. Guess the point is, would be nice to get a choice of an additional option to so we can also work with bass notes.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

EnochLight

14 Apr 2019

Moderndayfreak wrote:
13 Apr 2019
:roll:

This is patently, almost laughably, false and reeks of Melodyne fanboy. :lol:

I have both, and there is virtually no difference in sound quality with their algorithms when comparing Reason's audio pitch editor to Melodyne Essential editing vocals.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CloudsOfSound

09 May 2019

So, to sum it up:

The reason I don't see Melodyne in my list of plugins in Reason's plugin window is because it isn't 64-bit and Reason only supports 64-bit VST's?
Because it is indeed a VST 2 plugin as well as a VST 3 and AU.

It doesn't show up in Studio One 4 either, only the VST3 and AU versions.
:reason: Reason 10 running on  MacBook Pro 16" 2019
(6-Core Intel Core i7 / AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4GB / 16GB RAM)
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2
Software Developer and Wannabe Musician

EnochLight

09 May 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
09 May 2019
So, to sum it up:

The reason I don't see Melodyne in my list of plugins in Reason's plugin window is because it isn't 64-bit and Reason only supports 64-bit VST's?
Because it is indeed a VST 2 plugin as well as a VST 3 and AU.

It doesn't show up in Studio One 4 either, only the VST3 and AU versions.
Are you on Windows or Mac? It shows up fine for me, but I'm on Windows 10 (64-bit). Both Reason and Studio One (3 and 4)...

CloudsOfSound

09 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
09 May 2019

Are you on Windows or Mac? It shows up fine for me, but I'm on Windows 10 (64-bit). Both Reason and Studio One (3 and 4)...
I see the AU versions, so I would necessarily be on a Mac. Also, my signature is rather descriptive! 👍
macOS Catalina v.10.15.2

EnochLight

09 May 2019

CloudsOfSound wrote:
09 May 2019
EnochLight wrote:
09 May 2019

I see the AU versions, so I would necessarily be on a Mac. Also, my signature is rather descriptive! 👍
Hahah - and so it is! Sorry - didn't bother looking at your sig. ;) So I guess the 64-bit VST is only available for PC's? Yikes, that sucks. :(

qn5

10 May 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
06 Mar 2019
S1GNL wrote:
06 Mar 2019
What’s wrong with Pitch Edit? What do you miss?
you have clearly never used melodyne.
it’s quality is leagues beyond reason’s native pitch edit. melodyne sounds undetectable. reason’s pitch edit is ok for some uses, but on vocals it’s not ideal unless you want an electronica sound.
plus you can change individual strings pitch in a guitar chord so you can turn a major into a minor
plus you can edit the formants
plus you can edit pitch drift separate from pitch vibrato
plus the transitions between notes are more editable
plus it can pitch correct drums, which in reason i can’t do at all without it sounding like digital artifacts.
but the main difference is quality.
it’s like subtractor vs europa, one is just more capable.

I've been a Melodyne user since they first launched and I wholeheartedly disagree that it's "undetectable". Reason's pitch editor is LEAGUES more natural sounding when used for changing notes. Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it's transparent AF. I'd take Reason's ANY day for the sheer natural sound of it. I can almost always tell when Melodyne is being used, plenty of metallic sounding artifacts, etc.
QN5 MUSIC
qn5.com

eusti

10 May 2019

EnochLight wrote:
09 May 2019
CloudsOfSound wrote:
09 May 2019

Hahah - and so it is! Sorry - didn't bother looking at your sig. ;) So I guess the 64-bit VST is only available for PC's? Yikes, that sucks. :(
I think the issue is that there is no VST 2 version for Mac OS.

D.

CloudsOfSound

10 May 2019

qn5 wrote:
10 May 2019
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
06 Mar 2019

you have clearly never used melodyne.
it’s quality is leagues beyond reason’s native pitch edit. melodyne sounds undetectable. reason’s pitch edit is ok for some uses, but on vocals it’s not ideal unless you want an electronica sound.
plus you can change individual strings pitch in a guitar chord so you can turn a major into a minor
plus you can edit the formants
plus you can edit pitch drift separate from pitch vibrato
plus the transitions between notes are more editable
plus it can pitch correct drums, which in reason i can’t do at all without it sounding like digital artifacts.
but the main difference is quality.
it’s like subtractor vs europa, one is just more capable.

I've been a Melodyne user since they first launched and I wholeheartedly disagree that it's "undetectable". Reason's pitch editor is LEAGUES more natural sounding when used for changing notes. Sure it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it's transparent AF. I'd take Reason's ANY day for the sheer natural sound of it. I can almost always tell when Melodyne is being used, plenty of metallic sounding artifacts, etc.
If we're talking about Melodyne Studio (€649) or Melodyne Editor (€399), or even Assistant (€249), the set of features are (off course) much more advanced in Melodyne, but comparing Melodyne Essentials (€99) to Reason's Pitch Correct (free), Reason wins, hands down, both in terms of features and in resulting audio quality.

If I'm paying the same price (or double the price for Studio) for a pitch correction tool as you do for the whole Reason 10 package, I'd be seriously disappointed if it didn't offer some advanced features not present for free in a DAW.

Here's the feature comparison of the different Melodyne versions, so go figure...

macOS Catalina v.10.15.2

WeLoveYouToo

28 Aug 2019

qn5 wrote:
10 May 2019

sorry this is months old, i haven't been on here in a while...
but it's still strange to me to hear someone say that reason's pitch shift is better sounding than melodyne's.
i don't even bother with reason's pitch shifter because it sounds so much worse than melodyne.
in the interim since i last commented on this thread, i bought this old harmonium at goodwill, and fixed it up. it's all wood, even the pipes. the only other material is the leather bellow and the metal screws (philips heads of course, ugh) it was built in 1882, and has teh signature of all the people who built it in the story&clark factory, who are all since deceased.
creepy.
but anyways, once i got it tuned up (as in working), i realized that it is fairly in tune with itself, but also almost exactly halfway out of tune with standard pitch. this harmonium is an "A" at just about 450.
so i had to decide whether to detune my guitars and uke to match the harmonium, or record the harmonium and then pitch shift it (not tune the notes individually, but ctrl+a and move the entire composition a "semi"-semitone.

(incidentally, does anyone know of a way to assign how many cents from standard "a" reason is on a per song basis?)

when i played around with tuning and recording... i could not even alter the harmonium by a hair in reason without horrible artifacts. when i tried in melodyne, it was impossible to tell a difference unless you had the original track to a/b up to about 4 semitones.
so that right there was a perfect example of how melodyne works wonders.

having said that, i know that reason's pitch edit (even though it has options for non-vocal material) is only really useful for vocal material.
but again, when recording a singer on a harmonium with stereo mics on the harmonium and a mic on the singer, with some minor bleed, reason still gives some very obvious artifacts whereas melodyne is almost transparent.

in optimal recording conditions, and so long as it's vocals, reason does a great job, i use it to change pitch i harmonies all the time, especially if i add other effects in the chain later. but it's not quite there. still excellent though in the right circumstances.

it really makes me do a double take to hear someone claim that reason does better pitch edit.

WeLoveYouToo

28 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
08 Mar 2019
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
07 Mar 2019
i am not going to spend anymore time on this, i have supplied a drum and a vocal both showing how terrible reason’s pitch adjust can sound where melodyne shines.
Terrible? :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: That seems a bit hyperbolic. All 3 examples sound fine, and in a mix you could absolutely NOT tell a difference. Even in the example you posted, the difference is hardly audible. I realize yours isn't a scientific test, but when you razored the clip in Reason, you time stretched a portion of the clip - it's easily visible in the waveform (as Selig illustrated). This means the comparison to your example in Melodyne is flawed.

Still, use what works for you. If you prefer Melodyne, go for it. No one is going to convince you otherwise, and that's cool.
some songs have a full mix, others are a solo vocal/instrument, and some are in between. i did see that i may have inadvertently altered the audio, but the example showed the kind of artifacts reason is prone to creating and that's all i wanted to show. i could do a scientific test of this purely for fun and posterity, so our children will know what it was like to use different pitch algorithms in 2019.
i am really annoyed at myself even months later for posting an accidentally time stretched file, but this is a forum and i was just opening up reason, doing some time stretching of various notes until i heard one where the distortion was very clear. i didn't even realize i had done it until all these comments pointed it out. i should have been more thorough, but i also saw my post as an example of what i was describing so that i could share it since it's hard to type a sound, not as any sort of scientific comparison. however, i will do a comparison on the next song i work on as this is a reliable discrepancy between the two, just for completionist's sake, and i'll add it to this thread.

EnochLight

28 Aug 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
28 Aug 2019
i am really annoyed at myself even months later for posting an accidentally time stretched file, but this is a forum and i was just opening up reason, doing some time stretching of various notes until i heard one where the distortion was very clear. i didn't even realize i had done it until all these comments pointed it out. i should have been more thorough, but i also saw my post as an example of what i was describing so that i could share it since it's hard to type a sound, not as any sort of scientific comparison. however, i will do a comparison on the next song i work on as this is a reliable discrepancy between the two, just for completionist's sake, and i'll add it to this thread.
If you want to go through all of that trouble, knock yourself out. But it's not for "fun and posterity" or your children's sake when you're posting flawed or false data.
WeLoveYouToo wrote:
28 Aug 2019
i don't even bother with reason's pitch shifter because it sounds so much worse than melodyne.
:roll: We'll have to agree to disagree, because I own Melodyne (Essentials, which is what Reason's editor is more akin to) as well and find both perform about the same. In a mix, the differences are inaudible.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2019

:roll: We'll have to agree to disagree, because I own Melodyne (Essentials, which is what Reason's editor is more akin to) as well and find both perform about the same. In a mix, the differences are inaudible.
You know, on some female voices you can notice some upper harmonics are a bit muffled in Reason Pitch editor.
And for non vocal instruments i admit Melodyne works a bit better, plus you have the added ability to lock to a mode/scale.

As possible i use Reason pitch editor for its integrated nature in the Sequencer, however for some stuff (specially when tweaking instruments) having melodyne has saved the day.

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

I’ve never used Melodyne, but Reason’s pitch editor is every bit as transparent as you make it.

if you go too hard, or try to fix everything with broad strokes, you’ll get artifacts. if you use a light touch and are patient with what you’re doing, you’ll get great results, guaranteed.

that means you don’t just go into the pitch editor and click the correct pitch button and expect everything to sound great...that’s not how it works. you’re supposed to listen closely, and go phrase by phrase from start to finish. if you do that, you’ll be happy with the end product (provided the vocal take is good—other than pitch—to begin with).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

28 Aug 2019

mcatalao wrote:
28 Aug 2019
EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2019

You know, on some female voices you can notice some upper harmonics are a bit muffled in Reason Pitch editor.
And for non vocal instruments i admit Melodyne works a bit better, plus you have the added ability to lock to a mode/scale.

As possible i use Reason pitch editor for its integrated nature in the Sequencer, however for some stuff (specially when tweaking instruments) having melodyne has saved the day.
I’ve only used it on my male (usually baritone or mid-range) vocals, so there’s “that”. I also own Melodyne Editor, because its DNA is like freaking witchcraft - I absolutely love using that. Has saved a guitar performance from me on more than one occasion. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PhillipOrdonez

28 Aug 2019

I can't see it on my effects. And on Ableton I only shows up among the vst3. I just assumed it was not available on Reason. I'm on Windows 10, 64 bit, by the way.

WeLoveYouToo

29 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
28 Aug 2019

If you want to go through all of that trouble, knock yourself out. But it's not for "fun and posterity" or your children's sake when you're posting flawed or false data.

i mean that to try and throw an olive branch your way.
you see this as raw data versus an example, so i want to honor that.

EnochLight

29 Aug 2019

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
29 Aug 2019
i mean that to try and throw an olive branch your way.
you see this as raw data versus an example, so i want to honor that.
It's cool - there's no bad blood here. We're just talking music production on an Internet forum. :) :thumbs_up:

• Information