Scenic Hybrid Instrument - let's speculate :)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
antic604

27 Aug 2019

New instrument: Scenic Hybrid Instrument is a cinematic dream machine of atmospheric sounds and powerful performance controls. Scenic is included in Reason Suite and will also be sold separately on its release on September 25.

^^^ this is all we got to go on from.

So what is it? It can definitely play 2 samples, running each of them through a separate Insert FX (a break-out sockets in the back, like in The Echo??) and - I'm assuming internal - Echo & Reverb. Then the sounds can be blended in the Master FX section. But what does the "Hybrid" mean? Are there other audio engines, i.e. synthesizers available; to mix with samples? "Space" above the waveforms would suggest some kind of granular engine, that's typically produces lush, spacey sounds. What's this big circle in the middle for? What will be displayed on those circular grids? Where are those "powerful performance controls" mentioned above - surely it's not just the volume knob? ;) Why does the Scenic's logo/icon have 3 dots connected to the main element, when we only see 2 engines?

Loque

27 Aug 2019

Its obvious 2 sample thingy. Maybe with some additional sub oscillators behind the "Edit" button. A breakout would make sense, yea.

"Space" is probably a algorithm, since it shows two different samples, so i agree to that. Whatever algorithm it is. Maybe Granular, maybe Convolution, maybe something unexpected.

The big display is a mystery for me too. Looks like a needle display...But it cannot be for metering, since there are those orange LEDs.

I directly thought, since it has the same colors as PArsec, that there is something additive with some specific algorithms happening behind the scenes...
Reason12, Win10

Breach The Sky

27 Aug 2019

The interface looks like a placeholder, just like the "new" mixer plugins. I'm going to guess that the orb-display will have some type of performance functionality considering it supposedly has "powerful performance controls".

I don't know what to make off it yet, to little information for now. If it's just a glorified rompler i'm going to get very sad.. But I think it's a little more than that, Pro.. I mean -Reason Studios- has a lot off interesting tech they can play around with (Grain, Parsec, Europa etc)!

exxx

27 Aug 2019

Perhaps there are high bit environmental sounds, like rain, waves, wind, etc.

Sample loading will not work.(only rompler)

Wouldn't the attack at the start end be adjusted?

I think the two grains will be close together for easy using

I wonder how much modern stereo feel will come out.

This part has always been lack of Reason Studio.

I don't think big spaces mean much.

If it's useful, maybe it's close to the delay pattern.

boingy

27 Aug 2019

I think it might be lost in translation. A hybrid is meant to be a cross between two different things but here they seem to have accidentally crossed two samplers. Still, it's got a nice big round thing in the middle. That must be worth something.

Trefor

27 Aug 2019

Who knows, the round bit in the middle might perhaps be something like this.
Portal.png
Portal.png (304.47 KiB) Viewed 5908 times

Spryx

27 Aug 2019

It looks like a bathroom scale :lol:

I'm thinking something like Omnisphere - very lite.
latest:

VariableX

28 Aug 2019

Spryx wrote:
27 Aug 2019
It looks like a bathroom scale :lol:

I'm thinking something like Omnisphere - very lite.
haha ok i really did nearly spit my coffee out there... funny 😀

VariableX

28 Aug 2019

also looks a bit like a spirit level, maybe to check if your rack is horizontal and not gonna fall over 😀

boingy

28 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
28 Aug 2019
also looks a bit like a spirit level, maybe to check if your rack is horizontal and not gonna fall over 😀
That will be really handy when I've had too much to drink. :thumbs_up:

Steedus
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

I like the look. So long as the thing in the middle actually does something.

Might do something along the lines of Softube's Parallels, with some waveforms wrapping around the middle bit...?

soroc sosta

28 Aug 2019

I'm willing to bet it is similar to the ETHEREAL EARTH that is included in the FREE Komplete Start!
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ete-start/
Awesome sounding and inspirational synth, BTW.

scratchnsnifff

28 Aug 2019

After talking with an internet friend. They were saying how it’s basically a reason omnisphere. Probably just without the wavetable part.

But looking at it, and the visible features on that one picture. I believe that’s what they were going for.

An orb type GUI that’s blue, and the idea of scenic stuff/theatrical sounds

I hope the multiple pages really shows the power of the newer sdk that was previous releasesd
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

scratchnsnifff

28 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
New instrument: Scenic Hybrid Instrument is a cinematic dream machine of atmospheric sounds and powerful performance controls. Scenic is included in Reason Suite and will also be sold separately on its release on September 25.

^^^ this is all we got to go on from.

So what is it? It can definitely play 2 samples, running each of them through a separate Insert FX (a break-out sockets in the back, like in The Echo??) and - I'm assuming internal - Echo & Reverb. Then the sounds can be blended in the Master FX section. But what does the "Hybrid" mean? Are there other audio engines, i.e. synthesizers available; to mix with samples? "Space" above the waveforms would suggest some kind of granular engine, that's typically produces lush, spacey sounds. What's this big circle in the middle for? What will be displayed on those circular grids? Where are those "powerful performance controls" mentioned above - surely it's not just the volume knob? ;) Why does the Scenic's logo/icon have 3 dots connected to the main element, when we only see 2 engines?
I’m hoping it isn’t just a sample player

If they really wanted to add something dank. It would be a hybrid of samples/granular mixed with a resynthisis engine

Propellerhead (I’ll never EVER refer to them as anything else, sorry I’m just not buying into any other name)

The props are always good at making synths so I trust that this will be something pretty useful

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 Aug 2019

Look closely at the sample selection on each side. Both are set to "space," but they have different waveform visualizations. Does that mean something else is modulating each side?

As an aside, as a UI designer, it annoys me when something like this breaks its device metaphor. The selectors are supposed to look like alphanumeric LED displays, but the waveforms are drawn as if they're silkscreened on the device and shouldn't be capable of changing. I know rack UI standards have gotten a lot looser in the era of Rack Extensions, but this just looks like it wasn't thought through!

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

The middle circle seems like a visualization for the A/B Balance. The blue part will rotate.

antic604

28 Aug 2019

fieldframe wrote:
28 Aug 2019
As an aside, as a UI designer, it annoys me when something like this breaks its device metaphor. The selectors are supposed to look like alphanumeric LED displays, but the waveforms are drawn as if they're silkscreened on the device and shouldn't be capable of changing. I know rack UI standards have gotten a lot looser in the era of Rack Extensions, but this just looks like it wasn't thought through!
That's a very good point! Europa, Grain or Monotone already looked different, less "hardware" than say Thor, Maelstrom or RV7k. With the new stuff - Scenic, Quarter and Sweeper - they're moving even further away from that viual language and towards more abstract, modern look. Not sure I like this direction, because it contradicts the "virtual hardware rack" paradigm I love(d) about Reason.

boingy

28 Aug 2019

scratchnsnifff wrote:
28 Aug 2019
After talking with an internet friend. They were saying how it’s basically a reason omnisphere. Probably just without the wavetable part.
Has your friend used Omnisphere or are they just going by the circular thing? If it's going to be like Omnisphere they are going to need to add a shedload more buttons and controls.

scratchnsnifff

28 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
28 Aug 2019
scratchnsnifff wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Has your friend used Omnisphere or are they just going by the circular thing? If it's going to be like Omnisphere they are going to need to add a shedload more buttons and controls.
Lol yes they do. But don’t see it as a clone or omnisphere, rather a reason synth that is taking the omnisphere approach to sound design. Where obscure samples mixed with a ton of FX. ( the picture shown clearly shows that FX are a huge part of the signal chain)

I can 100% see this being reasons mini omnisphere. We will have to wait to see if Mathias went out and recorded the sounds of throwing a box of nails in a cave.
Or if they recorded the sound of a jar of mayonnaise being thrown off the Empire State Building

Timmy Crowne
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

I’m hoping the radiating meter in the center means some kind of granular or formant shifting.

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 Aug 2019

antic604 wrote:
28 Aug 2019
fieldframe wrote:
28 Aug 2019
That's a very good point! Europa, Grain or Monotone already looked different, less "hardware" than say Thor, Maelstrom or RV7k. With the new stuff - Scenic, Quarter and Sweeper - they're moving even further away from that viual language and towards more abstract, modern look. Not sure I like this direction, because it contradicts the "virtual hardware rack" paradigm I love(d) about Reason.
Indeed, it wouldn't be the first Reason Studios RE to exhibit "magic silkscreening," but it would be the most unnecessary. PX7's algorithm display is probably the earliest example, though I would argue it made sense there. I say this because actual hardware would probably have a tiny version of each diagram printed with a number next to it, and swapping that out for one big diagram that changes dynamically is just good design. But no hardware would have sampler waveforms printed on it! Just make that part an "LED display" like every other waveform display in Reason.
Timmy Crowne wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I’m hoping the radiating meter in the center means some kind of granular or formant shifting.
I like this much better than "comically large and overcomplicated balance knob."

boingy

28 Aug 2019

fieldframe wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I like this much better than "comically large and overcomplicated balance knob."
Oh wow! Imagine that!
It might do both kinds of balance: left AND right! :puf_bigsmile:

miscend

28 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I think it might be lost in translation. A hybrid is meant to be a cross between two different things but here they seem to have accidentally crossed two samplers. Still, it's got a nice big round thing in the middle. That must be worth something.
I think it’s hybrid sampling plus synthesiser.

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

28 Aug 2019

Scenario 1:
Im very intetested, what is doing that rectangle in top left? Maybe it is slot for virtual SD card and you could buy in shop more sounds than 2 different space samples. Shop was reworked recently, that must mean they will add new category of virtual SD cards with two samples only for this nice device. Just imagine it.

Scenario 2:
Someone made nice ui design for synth. Everybody likes it, but no one knows, for what device they will use it. After few nights and days in office without sleep, they come with idea. We will show this picture to our users, and we give it mysterious description. Then, our user base will tell us, what they need and we will do it. And then two weeks before release we put our brains and hands to speedrun, and create that device for them. Our users will love us like never before.

boingy

29 Aug 2019

praznovsky.m wrote:
28 Aug 2019
We will show this picture to our users, and we give it mysterious description. Then, our user base will tell us, what they need and we will do it.
I'd like to withdraw my previous cynical suggestions and proffer my real one.

I think this synth will make me thinner, give me a full head of hair and periodically spit out beer tokens that can be exchanged in my local pub.

• Information