what are the best other DAWs to consider?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
guitfnky

27 Aug 2019

SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I am always using Reason's Comp/Slice/Pitch edit modes which are available directly in the sequencer (i.e. no Melodyne, etc). Is there any other DAW for Windows that has these three tools available natively that someone can recommend? I've looked but haven't found one.
Digital Performer used to do the pitch edit right in the sequencer, but that was way back in version 5/6—not sure if that’s still a thing.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

reggie1979

27 Aug 2019

I had a launchpad pro, it's a good combo (with Bitwig also)

SalvadorDeluxe

27 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
27 Aug 2019
SalvadorDeluxe wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I am always using Reason's Comp/Slice/Pitch edit modes which are available directly in the sequencer (i.e. no Melodyne, etc). Is there any other DAW for Windows that has these three tools available natively that someone can recommend? I've looked but haven't found one.
Digital Performer used to do the pitch edit right in the sequencer, but that was way back in version 5/6—not sure if that’s still a thing.
Wow... DP10 has pitch, comp and slice editing in the sequencer... same as Reason. Plus track folders and a bunch of other stuff I'm missing in Reason. Going to check it out. Thanks for the tip!
Nintendo 64 // Minesweeper // Rotary Telephones

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

Logic has several "players" included for free. We can also stack instruments like you can in a combinator. We've had curved automation for years now. The included plugins are the best factory plugins of any DAW. Hello, Alchemy 2. We have a convolution reverb with loads of impulse responses included. The included factory content is HUGE and of very high quality. We don't have to pay for updates. You won't ever get frustrated with their free updates either. We get more workflow enhancements in a point update than Reason gets in a major version. Lots of "pros" use it. Too many good things to mention.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Logic has several "players" included for free. We can also stack instruments like you can in a combinator. We've had curved automation for years now. The included plugins are the best factory plugins of any DAW. Hello, Alchemy 2. We have a convolution reverb with loads of impulse responses included. The included factory content is HUGE and of very high quality. We don't have to pay for updates. You won't ever get frustrated with their free updates either. We get more workflow enhancements in a point update than Reason gets in a major version. Lots of "pros" use it. Too many good things to mention.
But you need an Apple computer 🤢

Zac

27 Aug 2019

Decided I'm going to trial Studio One first because it looks to be pretty intuitive and perhaps the easiest to learn after Reason. Also that Chord thing sounds like a great tool.

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

Zac wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Decided I'm going to trial Studio One first because it looks to be pretty intuitive and perhaps the easiest to learn after Reason. Also that Chord thing sounds like a great tool.
yep and through Splice you can rent-2-own!
Although someone said they did a cross grade for 180.
Ill be demoing it first.

Zac

27 Aug 2019

Yeah that splice thing is great. I'd probably go that way.

decoder

27 Aug 2019

I noticed that no one has mentioned Tracktion... Anyone have any opinions about them?

zoidkirb

27 Aug 2019

Jackjackdaw wrote:
27 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

I haven’t heard much about Cubase...I need to look into it.

probably the best option for me will be something that allows for quick and easy auditioning of different song structures. I use Blocks a lot in Reason, because they’re intuitive. I like the concept of Ableton, in that regard, but definitely don’t find it to be intuitive or easy.
Cubase has an arranger track that lets you define "blocks" with track markers and then you can arrange them how you wish on the fly and freeze variations as new projects. It's very good.
That's right, arranger track/blocks is another thing similar between the two daws.
@guitfnky yeah I agree to an extent about Live not being easy/unintuitive ...at first. Ableton really did really try to reinvent the wheel in many ways, so coming from traditional daws it first seems a little strange. Once it clicked with me though, it clicked hard!

VariableX

27 Aug 2019

decoder wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I noticed that no one has mentioned Tracktion... Anyone have any opinions about them?
Yes I originally used Tracktion back in the day. It was good back then. I can't talk to it today.
I want to steer away from smaller niche players. The reason i left tracktion was they sold out to Mackie who then wasted it, its back in the original peoples hands now so i bet its great again, but im gone. I want to use a major brand, as hopefully less chance of backing a donkey.

boingy

28 Aug 2019

zoidkirb wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Jackjackdaw wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Cubase has an arranger track that lets you define "blocks" with track markers and then you can arrange them how you wish on the fly and freeze variations as new projects. It's very good.
That's right, arranger track/blocks is another thing similar between the two daws.
The arranger track in Cubase (and in Studio One and probably others) is a world away from the blocks thing. Blocks are clunky, confusing and badly thought out. Arranger track is instantly understandable and usable. I wish the Props would spend more time looking at how other DAWs implement things rather than trying to invent stuff in isolation. With Arranger tracks you don't have to switch into a different editing mode or display or anything. You essentially just name sections of your song then make a playlist containing those names.

guitfnky

28 Aug 2019

I think Blocks was pretty solid when it first came out. definitely could use an update though—it seems left behind, for sure.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

VariableX

28 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I think Blocks was pretty solid when it first came out. definitely could use an update though—it seems left behind, for sure.
yeah i liked blocks. started using it all the time, then got lazy and stopped then wished I had used it ... no complaints about blocks from me.

VariableX

28 Aug 2019

It would be good to know prices in say $US of all the DAWs that are VST3 compatible. Full version price:
Studio One is 299.95 on crossgrade.

estuary

28 Aug 2019

I am finishing my current projects on reason, then probably update 11 (just to be able to use my rackextentions)

For the next projects I am thinking about "Logic Pro X"
What I really like/need from the reason mixer is the "width knob" quick access

Do you guys know if on "Logic Pro X" or any other sequencer the "width function" (for a single track on the mixer) is available ?
I sometimes check the DAWs option and video on youtube, but I could not see any 'width function' on the mixer, usually it's just 'PAN'

Thank you

EdGrip

28 Aug 2019

Yeah, width seems to be a bit unusual on DAW mixers. Most will have a utility that allows you to control stereo width - it's just an additional step. Hardly a deal-breaker!

ShelLuser

28 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Blocks are clunky, confusing and badly thought out. Arranger track is instantly understandable and usable.
No offense intended but I think your issue here is picking the right tool for the job. I love the blocks feature for what it can do, it's completely different from others which - to me - is what makes it unique.
boingy wrote:
28 Aug 2019
I wish the Props would spend more time looking at how other DAWs implement things rather than trying to invent stuff in isolation.
I strongly disagree.

See, I use Reason because it's not "like any other DAW", same applies to Live I might add. The reason I use Reason (sorry for the bad pun :puf_wink: ) is mostly because it's workflow is entirely different. If I need the classic workflow then I know where to turn to; there are plenty of traditional DAW's out there. But that's also the thing I don't want.

And well, like I said, blocks works really well for me. I honestly enjoy the concept very much.

But I can also understand that it's not for everyone. But IMO that's not an issue with Reason but with picking the best tool for the job.
--- :reason:

Zac

28 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
28 Aug 2019
It would be good to know prices in say $US of all the DAWs that are VST3 compatible. Full version price:
Just seen a post in the Sell & Buy forum on kvr with Studio One Pro going for $200 which is encouraging.

VariableX

28 Aug 2019

Zac wrote:
28 Aug 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
28 Aug 2019
Just seen a post in the Sell & Buy forum on kvr with Studio One Pro going for $200 which is encouraging.
Id love to know active user base figures for all the big players.. I guess Ableton would win but whats the rest got?

dmcghee

29 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
so, now that Reason will be available for use inside of other DAWs, what other DAWs should people be considering using, if they haven't already found one?

which have the best workflows?
which are easiest to use?
which are the most inspiring?
best looking?
biggest bang for your buck?

and to all those questions, why?

I can't believe I'm posting this in the Reason General forum. :lol:
I will be using the MPC X in Controller Mode with the MPC software because I like the workflow of the MPC X plus the MPC groove!

hurricane
Competition Winner

29 Aug 2019

estuary wrote:
28 Aug 2019
For the next projects I am thinking about "Logic Pro X"
What I really like/need from the reason mixer is the "width knob" quick access

Do you guys know if on "Logic Pro X" or any other sequencer the "width function" (for a single track on the mixer) is available ?
I sometimes check the DAWs option and video on youtube, but I could not see any 'width function' on the mixer, usually it's just 'PAN'

Thank you
Logic has this. Functions just like Reason's.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

boingy

29 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
28 Aug 2019

Id love to know active user base figures for all the big players.. I guess Ableton would win but whats the rest got?
It depends whether you mean legal users or all users. Live is one of the most pirated DAWs out there! If you discount the dodgy users you'll probably find that the biggest DAWs are the more traditional ones. Logic or Cubase maybe. There must be a site somewhere that tries to quantify this?

PeterP

30 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
29 Aug 2019
fretshot7 wrote:
28 Aug 2019

It depends whether you mean legal users or all users. Live is one of the most pirated DAWs out there! If you discount the dodgy users you'll probably find that the biggest DAWs are the more traditional ones. Logic or Cubase maybe. There must be a site somewhere that tries to quantify this?
I've tried to search for these numbers before without finding anything concrete. It's all very vague like "Steinberg is one of the world's largest manufacturers of music and audio software and hardware, with millions of users worldwide".

Most of the companies have public numbers for revenue and number of employees so it's possible to figure out who the biggest players are (Native Instruments, Ableton), but it gets tricky when they sell both hardware and software. Sometimes there's some juicy information in the share holder reports.

Then there is the global NAMM report (https://www.namm.org/membership/global-report) that contains a lot of statistics about market shares and unit sale information. It's not free though, so I haven't read it.

gbuck

02 Sep 2019

I started with Cakewalk in the late 1900's and upgraded almost every time through Pro Audio to Sonar to lifetime updates. Had Logic when it was a Windows environment. I bought Reason 1 and always upgraded except versions 2 and 5 (unless that was Record). When the Cakewalk fiasco was unfolding I took advantage of crossgrade offers and purchased Studio One, Samplitude Pro X3, Traction, Reaper and Mixcraft. And of course the free Sonar replacement Cakewalk Bandlab. I feel Mixcraft has the best workflow and will be perfect with Reason 11. Yes I'm upgrading to Suite!

• Information