Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
diminished
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
27 Aug 2019

That's correct. However that conclusion is consensus on a scale I have not witnessed before. Even the ones who are (rightfully so) happy about the update can understand why.
I'm of no illusion that many people here aren't fundamentally pissed about Reason 11's launch features. That much is clear! But the idea that Reason - as a core DAW - is being lead on a path to abandonment and Propellerhead (sorry - Reason Studios) are bailing on it is just... silly. Just because a large sample pool of an admittedly small group of people think the same thing, does not make it true. Last I checked, thoughtform was fantasy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nah I totally agree, they won't perish, Rack VST is the best business move they could have done. But why didn't they take care of both new AND old users?
These things don't have to be mutually exclusive, ya know.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

mashers

27 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Just a quick question as I don’t remember what’s happened in the past. With the release of 11 does that mean that there will be no future bug fixes and the like for 10?
I assume so. That's what normally happens with software. I don't recall getting any updates for older versions after a new release, and I do tend to lag behind the latest versions a bit.

DougalDarkly

27 Aug 2019

Deleted
Last edited by DougalDarkly on 09 Jan 2020, edited 1 time in total.

elMisse

27 Aug 2019

Couldn't find the answer.... Can you drop the rack to Ableton, as audio- or midieffect? (with suitable plugin inside ofc)

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Nah I totally agree, they won't perish, Rack VST is the best business move they could have done. But why didn't they take care of both new AND old users?
These things don't have to be mutually exclusive, ya know.
The way I look at it, they did address current/old users (in this example, ones that use Reason exclusively as their main DAW). They added core sequencer changes that have been requested for a very long time, and they added core rack effect devices that were long in need. Sure, it's not "enough" from said users perspective (I'm actually in agreement with that!), but if the doom & gloom that many seem to espouse here was true, we wouldn't gotten any core DAW updates. Just say'n...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Just a quick question as I don’t remember what’s happened in the past. With the release of 11 does that mean that there will be no future bug fixes and the like for 10?
Generally speaking, that is correct. In the history of Reason, I think there has only one time been a regression bug fix (during the 10.x launch where they fixed something in 9.x).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EdGrip

27 Aug 2019

I think they still do bug fixes for earlier versions.

PhillipOrdonez

27 Aug 2019

Bunch of toxic people here. This is getting old.

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

I’m so distraught I called into work. Jk haha I’m off today. It’s whatev. I’m becoming accustomed to such neglect.
Last edited by Last Alternative on 27 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I think they still do bug fixes for earlier versions.
I'd love to be proven wrong, but sort of hope I'm not. Them beta testing and working on bug fixes for previous versions takes resources away from advancing the latest version, and I always update to the latest so... :D :lol:

Loque

27 Aug 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Aug 2019
2ufhwNgM3qHKGxq8wdcWAiFpcm29FF1vQ7VZHkTuxDGNzrzjpJNScC8Hb58dhEHgZPy6QKA4M.gif
2ufhwNgM3qHKGxq8wdcWAiFpcm29FF1vQ7VZHkTuxDGNzrzjpJNScC8Hb58dhEHgZPy6QKA4M.gif (480.04 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
Reason12, Win10

mashers

27 Aug 2019

Just had it confirmed from props that Reason as a VST will not be compatible with Linux. That said, it might still be possible to get it working with a wrapper like WINE. Apparently it works for other Windows VSTs. I'll give it a try as soon as I get hold of it.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

The upgrade from 9 to 11 was well worth the $129 and the wait :D

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

aeox wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Yeah, it seems skipping a version upgrade may be the way to go for core-DAW Reasoners, if they can be patient enough to wait. That's definitely some good bang for your buck.

mashers

27 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
aeox wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Yeah, it seems skipping a version upgrade may be the way to go for core-DAW Reasoners, if they can be patient enough to wait. That's definitely some good bang for your buck.
I went from 6 to 10. It was amazing :lol:

esselfortium

27 Aug 2019

The rack VST makes sense to me. ReWire has always been a rather awkward setup, even if it was a godsend in the early days. Even around 2007 when I first tried rewiring Reason to take advantage of Ableton Live's audio recording features, juggling two separate DAW interfaces and project files for one song already felt extremely unwieldy. Having an easier way to use Reason's instruments alongside another DAW was long overdue, especially as Reason itself has expanded to take on many of the roles that a ReWired secondary DAW would once have been responsible for.

With that said, it's not what I would have hoped for as the big headlining feature in what's so far an otherwise pretty minor update. As a Reason-only user, I am sincerely hoping to see more sequencer and workflow updates in the 11.x cycle. Given the precedent set by the past few update cycles, it's probably a pretty safe bet that we'll be getting some pleasant surprises along the way. Not having any concrete info about what to expect in the near future is rough as always, though.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

mashers

27 Aug 2019

esselfortium wrote:
27 Aug 2019
The rack VST makes sense to me ... With that said, it's not what I would have hoped for ... As a Reason-only user
My feelings exactly. I use Reason for everything and don't have another DAW. So I would have liked more sequencer improvements in a major version release. But I'll pay for the upgrade anyway because I want to support props, and I'm also looking forward to getting my hands on the VST to see if I can coerce it into running on Linux so I can finally dump MacOS and Windows forever.

BRIGGS

27 Aug 2019

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Use the ignore function to maintain sanity. :puf_smile:
r11s

Luxuria

27 Aug 2019

So Reason Rack Plugin is the major highlight to Reason 11. Phead's say they did a lot of research and surveying to conclude this is what the majority of people wanted. They went in the direction of the research because obviously it's going to make them the most revenue.

Reasontalk, in my opinion, is where dedicated reason fans congregate. Because of that, here is where I've seen the most negative response towards 11 since we really believed with our own surveys and opinions that we were going to see hi res GUI and sequencer updates. I agree that we are our own echo chamber here.

Outside of here at Props' Facebook there are a lot of positive reactions. I don't know that crowds demographic but I believe them to be general musicians who just want to make music and not power users of DAW's.

What I've always known, always hated, and tried my best to reject was the fact that Phead was never in the best interest of me, the loyal user who has been with them through the times.

This version update hurts the most because the fact it couldn't be any clearer about what I previously said.

I'm NOT doomsaying but let's be real here, it's only going to get worse. They have stated that they are working on an AU version of RRP and will consider an AAX version down the road. Don't tell me that they will magically gain resources to be able to do the AU version by the end of the year and release beefy point updates to the DAW.

The best thing to do is move on from Reason being the primary DAW or stop being a loyal follower. Im content at what I can do in V8 so my path is to retire ReasonTalk and just shut out Propellerhead from my life. Give it 1-3 years and then take a peek at what is new.

Currently though, their business model (in my opinion) does not respect the loyalty of the customer nor has a healthy relationship with some of us here at RT. It is unethical what they are doing with the devices in Suite. It is shitty that they didn't upgrade Reason 10 with the 6 workflow improvements so core users could be content with a 10.5 version, but instead expect them to shell $129 for them and pad the stats in upgrade sales. Shameful that the company has to be this way. I don't think what Im saying is crazy. Some of you guys are really comfortable with siding with everything the company does in the name of business and profits. It's like you guys are their shareholders.
Last edited by Luxuria on 27 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

fieldframe
RE Developer

27 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
aeox wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Exactly. I skipped 8 and 10 (I guess you could say I'm on the odd-number upgrade cycle). 7 to 9 was a great upgrade, and I'm excited for 9 to 11.

normen

27 Aug 2019

So the Props are the Studs now? xD

Nice update - makes a lot of sense imo.

exxx

27 Aug 2019

Luxuria wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Reasontalk, in my opinion, is where dedicated reason fans congregate. Because of that, here is where I've seen the most negative response towards 11 since we really believed with our own surveys and opinions that we were going to see hi res GUI and sequencer updates. I agree that we are our own echo chamber here.

Outside of here at Props' Facebook there are a lot of positive reactions. I don't know that crowds demographic but I believe them to be general musicians who just want to make music and not power users of DAW's.
right. I will also upgrade to escape the hostage.

And I think Reason studio will close all this business.

The ones offered in the suite will not be available in the next year and will not be available to the company.

On my desk there is a balance made by Reason and I have to use it unstable without a proper driver on Windows 10.

The company has given clear signs of escape and will continue to sell this poor rompler and repeat this obscure fishing.

But who can actively buy these old devices without love?

EdGrip

27 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I think there has only one time been a regression bug fix (during the 10.x launch where they fixed something in 9.x).
I think that's the one I was thinking of! I definitely remember getting a 9.5.x build whatever update

EdGrip

27 Aug 2019

Question for the "we should get those features in Reason 10.5!" people.

What's your threshold for keeping features to a new version number?
If - hypothetically - Reason 11 had been a more full-on onslaught of minor-to-medium workflow features, would you still be of the opinion that Reason 10 users should get them? If so, why?

If it didn't have Reason Rack VST, what would Reason 11 have to do for you to allow it to keep new features to itself?

Yonatan

27 Aug 2019

The complaints, I guess, are not mainly due to the things done, more what is not done.
I think the only ones getting an underwhelmed upgrade are those on R10 and dont jump to heights about using another DAW to get better workflow. I personlly dont like the workflow of many other DAWs and would love core adds.

I am just as many earlier versions, not that excited for personal sake.
Another part of me can see that the Rack as a plugin is somehow a must at this time. I just think it is a bit odd that it takes all the praise and focus in the announcing of R11.
It could have come with at least something bigger adds on the core of Reason as a standalone DAW. That may come or not in an point update, just that it is impossible to know, so for now, it is the waiting game again.

My hope in the meantime of waiting, is that the Rack Plugin thing will get a big flow of new users and make the RE shop blossom, the RE developers prosper more, while at same time allowing prices to drop, or the sales to be generous.
And with all that flow of new resourses, the RS team will take also the core Reason to higher levels in a pace faster than expected, as well as developing Reason on ipad (which I do not have any)

I am quite sure the graphical resolution and other critical things are to come, as much as that is mentioned here. I am only on laptop so have no clue.

Time will tell. If as I hope, or I am already excited about R12. :)

• Information