Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Crumbfort

27 Aug 2019

Absolute dream come true for me, as well. Sadly, for years and years Reason has been awkwardly split off from my workflow. I've tried every workaround under the sun to avoid the clunkiness/CPU ridiculousness of ReWire, even going so far as to ReWire Reason inside Plogue Bidule inside Vienna Ensemble Pro on slave computer (it kinda sorta worked in the most backwards way ever).

I say Reason has sadly been cut off from my workflow because I love using the rack so much. I started on Reason 4 when I was a freshman in high school and have kept upgrading ever since, long after I abandoned the Pro Tools license I purchased at the same time. Despite the fact that Reason hasn't fit into my workflow in ages beyond using it as a standalone source for eventually printed audio to be brought back into my main DAW I've still continued purchasing tons of REs in the hopes that something like the Rack VST would happen.

I make music for video games/film/TV for a living, using Reaper as my main DAW. Sessions tend to be fairly large, track count/plugin count/RAM usage/multiple slave PC wise. I did not expect Reason, as a DAW, to make the leap to the level of administration/utility of Reaper (or even Logic, which I used to use before I freed my mind and moved to Reaper :puf_bigsmile: ). This is not a condemnation of Reason as a DAW in any way, I just don't think it was ever their intention to become that kind of software platform.

I've always had trouble in Reason organizing and navigating the Rack even in only moderately sized sessions. Now I'll be able to order each individual rack as a separate unit in Reaper, not only for instruments but for FX chains, too!! So, SO stoked.

At this point you're probably all thinking:

Life Story.png
Life Story.png (422.64 KiB) Viewed 3142 times

So! Long story short: I could not be happier with this update, it literally brought a tear to me eye when I woke up yesterday and read the news. Does that invalidate all the disappointment many of you here seem to be feeling? Not at all, just wanted to throw my opinion out there.
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

antic604

27 Aug 2019

Sorry if this was asked before, but I'm at page #10 :D

Will it be possible to buy just the Suite package of REs without upgrading to v11? If so, how much will it cost?

sdst
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019
sdst wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I wonder the following things

the rack plugin

1-save the entire rack
2-Self-Contain, I always use it in reason
3-different channel outputs, especially for drums
4-copy pattern to track? in other DAW
5-pattern track, the pattern track from matrix
A few good questions. And what about VST within the Reason VST Rack? It would instantly make all those VST Combiners obsolete.
no vst they say, but that thing should save the entire rack, I can't imagine lasting two hours making a rack that i can't save

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

Hi. For us who only use Reason, Propellerhead made it clear yesterday that the best workaround to our concerns is buy the Reason VST and get a better DAW. I hope that answers all your questions. On the other hands, I cannot afford that right now being a student so for now I will continue with R10 until I get some extra cash and switch because this company has became a joke to me. Haha laugh
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Hi. For us who only use Reason, Propellerhead made it clear yesterday that the best workaround to our concerns is buy the Reason VST and get a better DAW. I hope that answers all your questions.
Where did Propellerhead say that? From what I've read, that's just conclusions that people are arriving to in this thread.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

diminished
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Hi. For us who only use Reason, Propellerhead made it clear yesterday that the best workaround to our concerns is buy the Reason VST and get a better DAW. I hope that answers all your questions.
Where did Propellerhead say that? From what I've read, that's just conclusions that people are arriving to in this thread.
That's correct. However that conclusion is consensus on a scale I have not witnessed before. Even the ones who are (rightfully so) happy about the update can understand why.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

Undistraction

27 Aug 2019

Weak and desperate. RE market has shrunk. Codebase is too hard to work with to add significant sequencer features. Last hope is to sell to owners of other DAWs.

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

Guys............ look at the big picture — Propellerhead used to be a fun company that showed with no question how much they care about us, with a solid direction we could all see. Over time they turned into a cold faceless corporation giving less and taking more. Also while abandoning products and services like they don’t know what they’re doing, working less on the DAW itself and prioritizing other revenue outlets (but checking in once and a while with a few added features to keep us *kinda* happy), thus virtually abandoning loyal customers so I feel like my feelings are legit. I don’t want to be disappointed but I am. EVERY. SINGLE. UPDATE now. How am I not used to it? LOL
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

eusti

27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Guys............ look at the big picture — Propellerhead used to be a fun company that showed with no question how much they care about us...
Just asking, when do you think that changed? Before or after they clsoed the PUF? ;)

D.

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

eusti wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Guys............ look at the big picture — Propellerhead used to be a fun company that showed with no question how much they care about us...
Just asking, when do you think that changed? Before or after they clsoed the PUF? ;)

D.
Well, I think it’s safe to say that’s where it all started. It was definitely the turning point if you ask me. It has petered out from there.

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

Hey I’m just here to vent because Propellerhead doesn’t care and you’re the only peeps in the world who understand.

exxx

27 Aug 2019

Last Alternative wrote:
27 Aug 2019
eusti wrote:
27 Aug 2019

D.
Well, I think it’s safe to say that’s where it all started. It was definitely the turning point if you ask me. It has petered out from there.
It wasn't bad until they put in a ssl mixer ...

I felt something changed since I sold parsec.

They clung to racks but started to fall behind when they didn't recruit enough decent rack developers.

Fans waited and bought and waited again.

Creativemind

27 Aug 2019

Another thing I don't get is - why don't they implement features because they want the daw to be better, act more intuitively or to just be more up to date with competitors? instead they just implement what seems to be the most requested. So if export as mp3 was requested more than time markers, it seems to win. Where as time markers would be vastly more important. Strange way to go about things.

Sync the browsers
Sync the windows
Add manual parameter inputs with copy & paste
Add cloned / mimic'd clips
Add time markers
Add undo history
Add tempo detect & Fit to tempo for audio
Add bounce to mono & in bounce in place too
Add consolidate clips in bounce in place
Add joining midi notes
Add themes affect the mixer

That's what I want see
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

middle_color

27 Aug 2019

Would be nice if they could unlock second hand market for rack extensions. Not only disappointed users could resell things and move forward to their dream DAW. But also those others could buy RE for cheaper.

Nowadays i try to buy VSTs on second hand if available. I also made several mistakes in the past buying something i cannot resell later. Those plugins and DAWs will just seat on my disk forever as part of my experience.
But i am not disappointed, because purchasing is always a risk and because all that took me to the point where i am now.

Maybe i will express the most unpopular opinion on this forum, but i think no one company should ever listen to the users' feedback - a company should have The Vision. And than users choose to stay with product or to move forward. One unfortunate thing i see now in this scenario with Reason - is that it is not possible to resell RE...

Noplan
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

I think some people's expectations are just too big. So they will always be disappointed.

electrofux

27 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
27 Aug 2019
EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019

That's correct. However that conclusion is consensus on a scale I have not witnessed before. Even the ones who are (rightfully so) happy about the update can understand why.
Dunno where you get that consensus from. It is an update aimed at people already using other DAWs and not making us use another DAW, though you can if you want.

Creativemind

27 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
MrFigg wrote:
27 Aug 2019
If you use Reason in Fruity Loops is it called Raisin?
lol - or Rhubarb?
Rhubarb & Custard let fly with their secret weapon. Great cartoon, great tune.

Creativemind

27 Aug 2019

EdGrip wrote:
27 Aug 2019
If we've had noises from the KVR thread that a GUI/graphics update is in active development, I wouldn't be surprised if they've decided to let the Dark Mixer be part of that when it comes.
What a Christmas present that'd be.

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

Noplan wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I think some people's expectations are just too big. So they will always be disappointed.
I think you’re right to a degree. Personally, I just keep hoping my beloved music software I’ve invested a decade and so much money in will finally be a fully modern DAW but that’s never the case.

hurricane
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

As a spoiled Logic user, it's the first time I've been really excited about a Reason update in a long time (because of the rack plugin) but now I have to wait months to use it (I want to use the rack plugin) and I can't even beta test it (again, the RACK PLUGIN).
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

electrofux

27 Aug 2019

@Matthias: You can't show us whats behind the settings tab in the VST Window, can you?

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

Yep R11 is for the ‘other’ musicians so now the rest of us have to wait ANOTHER 2 years and hope YET AGAIN that the next one will be good. I’m sick of waiting. So soon I’m gonna dip. They shystered me for too long.

EnochLight

27 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
27 Aug 2019
EnochLight wrote:
27 Aug 2019

I'm of no illusion that many people here aren't fundamentally pissed about Reason 11's launch features. That much is clear! But the idea that Reason - as a core DAW - is being lead on a path to abandonment and Propellerhead (sorry - Reason Studios) are bailing on it is just... silly. Just because a large sample pool of an admittedly small group of people think the same thing, does not make it true. Last I checked, thoughtform was fantasy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mashers

27 Aug 2019

dan_g wrote:
27 Aug 2019
i think matthias somewere answerded this with a no. you can't load vsts in the rack vst.
That makes sense, though it does shatter these dreams:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2019

Just a quick question as I don’t remember what’s happened in the past. With the release of 11 does that mean that there will be no future bug fixes and the like for 10?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information