Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Propellerhead's music software. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7280
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Aug 2019

Since everything is currently under the hood, only beta testers know, but cannot say. You need to participate to the beta or wait until the official release.

My question was, if i can send CV around through the audio channels. Multiple audio channels would be perfect for this and could be used as a side-channel.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7280
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Aug 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
exxx wrote:
27 Aug 2019


The propellerhead, now gone, always said:

'Ear' is musical!

I put this old eq in the old way and put it in the latest daw.
It's true, but I prefer spectrum way as I'm already used to that. Now I have two versions of the same EQ and one does it like I want it, but the other doesn't. It's just that the spectrum view is a fast way to knife-cut something off - or boost. It's way faster IMO.
I had the same question, but its ok imo. I have a few EQs, which i just use for a more musical adjustment which do not have a spectrum. I use the SSL for that purpose too.

For surgical things, i have other and more powerful weapons and their i expect a clear spectrum display.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
tc13
Posts: 45
Joined: 18 Jan 2015

Post 27 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
27 Aug 2019
tc13 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Wow, on Facebook, Reddit, KVR or just about any place I look R11 gets a very positive response...
This forum seems like a bunch of whiners, not representing the real world.
Now that you say it, wow thanks for opening our eyes! Would you like to be a mod? We could use someone around here who tells folks why their thinking is wrong, with some added insults!
In return, we could teach you how to read!
Would you like some cheese with that?

User avatar
artotaku
Posts: 490
Joined: 09 May 2015
Location: Munich, Germany

Post 27 Aug 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
27 Aug 2019


The SSL EQ does not have a spectrum analyzer, there is only a uncontrollable overall Mixer Bus EQ that has a spectrum analyzer, and each strip EQ is represented by a controllable EQ spectrum anazlyzer in the Rack.
My questions was: Why doesn't the upcoming rack version of the SSL EQ not have the same spectrum view and controls than the mixer version? As that's why I've been liking using it in the first place. This is a big meh if I need to turn those knobs instead.
The reason maybe a technical and effort wise one. The new SSL EQ device is a RE. At least for now REs cannot open a separate (operation system) window for the spectrum analysis as it is currently done by the Reason mixer.

Instead, what could have been done is to add a custom display to the RE where the spectrum graphics is shown which ofc means increased development effort.

owlymane
Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Feb 2019

Post 27 Aug 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
27 Aug 2019


The SSL EQ does not have a spectrum analyzer, there is only a uncontrollable overall Mixer Bus EQ that has a spectrum analyzer, and each strip EQ is represented by a controllable EQ spectrum anazlyzer in the Rack.
My questions was: Why doesn't the upcoming rack version of the SSL EQ not have the same spectrum view and controls than the mixer version? As that's why I've been liking using it in the first place. This is a big meh if I need to turn those knobs instead.
Good point. No idea. For me that EQ is quite limiting anyways. I've been using the synapse GQ-7 RE. It's more flexible and you can make surgical EQ.

But yeah, the spectrum EQ could've been offered. No idea why they haven't..

mashers
Posts: 435
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

Do we know if Reason will work as a VST within a DAW running on Linux?

owlymane
Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Feb 2019

Post 27 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Do we know if Reason will work as a VST within a DAW running on Linux?
Reason VST will be VST3. I'm guessing it should work as long as your DAW handles VST3.

mashers
Posts: 435
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Reason VST will be VST3. I'm guessing it should work as long as your DAW handles VST3.
Are VST3 platform independent then? I thought VSTs had to be specifically build for a platform architecture (i.e. Windows, MacOS etc). Is that not the case with VST3?

exxx
Posts: 102
Joined: 12 Sep 2016

Post 27 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2019


It's true, but I prefer spectrum way as I'm already used to that. Now I have two versions of the same EQ and one does it like I want it, but the other doesn't. It's just that the spectrum view is a fast way to knife-cut something off - or boost. It's way faster IMO.
I had the same question, but its ok imo. I have a few EQs, which i just use for a more musical adjustment which do not have a spectrum. I use the SSL for that purpose too.

For surgical things, i have other and more powerful weapons and their i expect a clear spectrum display.
I also have some eqs.

Good things I have too.

i have eq, analyzer, mastering meters, reverb and old school compressor too.

But I think that's a good thing if the built-in tool gets closer to the go to tool.
Last edited by exxx on 27 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

owlymane
Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Feb 2019

Post 27 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Reason VST will be VST3. I'm guessing it should work as long as your DAW handles VST3.
Are VST3 platform independent then? I thought VSTs had to be specifically build for a platform architecture (i.e. Windows, MacOS etc). Is that not the case with VST3?
No not platform independant. I mean if you use it standalone then you'll be using the official Reason, which I don't think works on Linux.

Whatever DAW you're using on Linux, if it handles VST3. Then I'm guessing there are high chances you could be using it on Linux. That's pretty cool actually...

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 768
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 27 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2019


My questions was: Why doesn't the upcoming rack version of the SSL EQ not have the same spectrum view and controls than the mixer version? As that's why I've been liking using it in the first place. This is a big meh if I need to turn those knobs instead.
Good point. No idea. For me that EQ is quite limiting anyways. I've been using the synapse GQ-7 RE. It's more flexible and you can make surgical EQ.

But yeah, the spectrum EQ could've been offered. No idea why they haven't..
For me the SSL EQ and the Synapse one (which I also have and use) serve different tasks/situations. I think the Synapse is smoother and the SSL one more rough sounding. But yeah *If you read this Props* then I really wish you'd add a spectrum view to these in the next update (one can always wish). I would love to use this EQ to sculpt and shape the sounds inside the combinators. ;) :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

mashers
Posts: 435
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
27 Aug 2019
No not platform independant. I mean if you use it standalone then you'll be using the official Reason, which I don't think works on Linux.

Whatever DAW you're using on Linux, if it handles VST3. Then I'm guessing there are high chances you could be using it on Linux. That's pretty cool actually...
Hmm, ok. I guess WINE might be needed and then use the Windows version of the VST. I have read this can work for some other plugins. How efficient it would be with Reason I don't know. I'm just installing Bitwig as this supports VST3 plugins. I guess I'll try it once it's released (or I get accepted as a beta tester).

owlymane
Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Feb 2019

Post 27 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
owlymane wrote:
27 Aug 2019
No not platform independant. I mean if you use it standalone then you'll be using the official Reason, which I don't think works on Linux.

Whatever DAW you're using on Linux, if it handles VST3. Then I'm guessing there are high chances you could be using it on Linux. That's pretty cool actually...
Hmm, ok. I guess WINE might be needed and then use the Windows version of the VST. I have read this can work for some other plugins. How efficient it would be with Reason I don't know. I'm just installing Bitwig as this supports VST3 plugins. I guess I'll try it once it's released (or I get accepted as a beta tester).
Aah never knew WINE worked on Linux. I thought it was only on Mac. That's cool. Yeah try first seeing whether it works on Bitwig Linux. If not try the WINE solution that's not a bad idea. Otherwise you can always write an email to Props to directly ask that question they're super friendly :thumbs_up:

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7280
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Aug 2019

exxx wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019


I had the same question, but its ok imo. I have a few EQs, which i just use for a more musical adjustment which do not have a spectrum. I use the SSL for that purpose too.

For surgical things, i have other and more powerful weapons and their i expect a clear spectrum display.
I also have some eqs.

Good things I have too.

i have eq, analyzer, mastering meters, reverb and old school compressor too.

But I think that's a good thing if the built-in tool gets closer to the go to tool.
I agree, but only, if the spectrum display can be folded and this is probably not possible atm.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

mashers
Posts: 435
Joined: 05 Nov 2018

Post 27 Aug 2019

owlymane wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Aah never knew WINE worked on Linux. I thought it was only on Mac. That's cool. Yeah try first seeing whether it works on Bitwig Linux. If not try the WINE solution that's not a bad idea. Otherwise you can always write an email to Props to directly ask that question they're super friendly :thumbs_up:
WINE was originally written for Linux and was only much later ported to MacOS. I'll give it a try when I get it and report back. I did tweet props but didn't get an answer. I guess they can't say.

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 768
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 27 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019
exxx wrote:
27 Aug 2019


I also have some eqs.

Good things I have too.

i have eq, analyzer, mastering meters, reverb and old school compressor too.

But I think that's a good thing if the built-in tool gets closer to the go to tool.
I agree, but only, if the spectrum display can be folded and this is probably not possible atm.
But maybe they could add it and you could press another Tab to make it visible then?

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7280
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Aug 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019

I agree, but only, if the spectrum display can be folded and this is probably not possible atm.
But maybe they could add it and you could press another Tab to make it visible then?
Hum...yea, there could be a different panel view like in Complex-1, where you switch from "knob" mode to "Spectrum" mode...Sounds like a good idea...But i can already hear all that crying about so slow graphics of the FFT display :-D
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

owlymane
Posts: 178
Joined: 27 Feb 2019

Post 27 Aug 2019

mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
WINE was originally written for Linux and was only much later ported to MacOS.
Interesting! But definitely not surprised.
mashers wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I'll give it a try when I get it and report back. I did tweet props but didn't get an answer. I guess they can't say.
Please do I'm curious. Also regarding contacting Props, try FB or email they've answered me fast.

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 768
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 27 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2019


But maybe they could add it and you could press another Tab to make it visible then?
Hum...yea, there could be a different panel view like in Complex-1, where you switch from "knob" mode to "Spectrum" mode...Sounds like a good idea...But i can already hear all that crying about so slow graphics of the FFT display :-D
Would it be slow because of the RE format or because of some other reason?

sdst
Posts: 736
Joined: 14 Jun 2015

Post 27 Aug 2019

I wonder the following things

the rack plugin

1-save the entire rack
2-Self-Contain, I always use it in reason
3-different channel outputs, especially for drums
4-copy pattern to track? in other DAW
5-pattern track, the pattern track from matrix

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7280
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Aug 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019

Hum...yea, there could be a different panel view like in Complex-1, where you switch from "knob" mode to "Spectrum" mode...Sounds like a good idea...But i can already hear all that crying about so slow graphics of the FFT display :-D
Would it be slow because of the RE format or because of some other reason?
FFT analyzing uses a lot of CPU depending on the resolution and the implemented algorithm in the first step. In the second you need fast graphics to display the calculated data and hardware accelerated graphics are faster than standard OS graphics, even if the gfx board vendors did not optimized the 2d performance much in the last years. That means, a very good algorithm and fast gfx are required and than it is still quite expensive to the performance.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7280
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 27 Aug 2019

sdst wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I wonder the following things

the rack plugin

1-save the entire rack
2-Self-Contain, I always use it in reason
3-different channel outputs, especially for drums
4-copy pattern to track? in other DAW
5-pattern track, the pattern track from matrix
A few good questions. And what about VST within the Reason VST Rack? It would instantly make all those VST Combiners obsolete.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
dan_g
Posts: 161
Joined: 28 Sep 2015
Location: Germany

Post 27 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019


A few good questions. And what about VST within the Reason VST Rack? It would instantly make all those VST Combiners obsolete.
i think matthias somewere answerded this with a no. you can't load vsts in the rack vst.
:reason: :record: :re: :refill: :ignition: - 10.4 - Hobbyist
minimal techno - deep minimal dubstep - drum 'n' bass/neurofunk - brostep/deathstep - band recording

Dread Massaker (DRMSKR) Heavy Dubstep Project: https://soundcloud.com/drmskr

User avatar
Heigen5
Posts: 768
Joined: 25 Sep 2018
Location: Finland / Suomi

Post 27 Aug 2019

Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019
sdst wrote:
27 Aug 2019
I wonder the following things

the rack plugin

1-save the entire rack
2-Self-Contain, I always use it in reason
3-different channel outputs, especially for drums
4-copy pattern to track? in other DAW
5-pattern track, the pattern track from matrix
A few good questions. And what about VST within the Reason VST Rack? It would instantly make all those VST Combiners obsolete.
I wouldn't mind if the Rack SSl EQ would have a more basic kind of spectrum analyzer. A more important thing is the actual curve to boost or cut. As if you have a curve based EQ you can roll the whole spectrum range and cut/boost + widen the band at the same time, while a knob one would need to do them with 3-different knobs per band.

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1624
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 27 Aug 2019

Heigen5 wrote:
27 Aug 2019
Loque wrote:
27 Aug 2019


A few good questions. And what about VST within the Reason VST Rack? It would instantly make all those VST Combiners obsolete.
I wouldn't mind if the Rack SSl EQ would have a more basic kind of spectrum analyzer. A more important thing is the actual curve to boost or cut. As if you have a curve based EQ you can roll the whole spectrum range and cut/boost + widen the band at the same time, while a knob one would need to do them with 3-different knobs per band.
A workaround would be to use the mixer Eq to get what you want using the spectrum window (assuming you haven't already used it on that channel) then copy across the mixer knob settings to the rack eq.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: chrischrischris, manmade, tt_lab and 5 guests