Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
aeox
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I've been telling ya'll for the looooooongest time not to have all your eggs in one basket. If I were the other DAWS I'd be busting out the sales like NOW.

Logic is $199, by the way.

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/
Yea 199, but how much did your Mac cost in 2012? lol

hurricane
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

aeox wrote:
26 Aug 2019
hurricane wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I've been telling ya'll for the looooooongest time not to have all your eggs in one basket. If I were the other DAWS I'd be busting out the sales like NOW.

Logic is $199, by the way.

https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/
No that much really! It was way less than what I paid for all the disappointing Reason updates since 2012. :puf_smile:
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

aeox
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

hurricane wrote:
26 Aug 2019
aeox wrote:
26 Aug 2019

No that much really! It was way less than what I paid for all the disappointing Reason updates since 2012. :puf_smile:
Yet you still paid for them and are still using Reason? :D :thumbs_up:

KGB

26 Aug 2019

parma wrote:
26 Aug 2019
As a long-time user and someone that desperately wants to do everything in Reason, this update is a huge disappointment. I've never seen a company with its own competing product essentially push users to use a different platform. The dearth of improvements to its own sequencer is sad. Same for the untouched and long-in-the-tooth instruments and effects. Aside from Grain (which is a great) and maybe Europa, I don't see what the draw would be for new users to get Reason to use as a VST anyway. Everything else is so outdated and, more importantly, pretty much covered by any other DAW's stock plugins. I mean, just as an example, loops and slicing is done sooo much better by Ableton. That Props haven't integrated Recycle into Reason as part of Dr. Rex still boggles my mind.

I see people comparing Reason to Komplete - that's not a very kind comparison for Reason if you ask me. Komplete has many more forward-thinking instruments and effects. And Ableton Suite blows Live Standard plus Reason VST out of the water in terms of up-to-date sound processing and unique sequencing. Have you guys seen some of the MaxForLive patches available? Sound design heaven.

I wanted to see Reason grow in its capabilities. It's a bit daft that the Rack VST is VST3 only while the actual application is still stuck on 2.4. Really?!

And MIDI out from VSTs was one of the most requested features and it's (inexplicably to me) not there. C'mon Reason Studios! Get with 2010!

This update provides very little to people that work solely in Reason. A few overdue improvements. That's it. There should be a nice long list. Without the Rack VST this is a point release at best. At the very least, they should include the new instrument in the Standard version not just the Suite.

Look, its cool that Reason can finally be used as a VST but to make that pretty much the sole reason to update is a bit of a slap in the face to Reason-only users. I know the answer to this is "then don't update" but I can still be disappointed in the way Reason seems to be headed.

:puf_unhappy:
I agree with this whole post. I wonder if it's the end for Reason as a DAW regardless of what Reason Studios is trying to say. Propellerhead said they'll never implement VST and now the entire flagship product is a VST. I'm really torn..I still can't imagine using anything else.

davidicus

26 Aug 2019

sigh. none of this is really going to help me much. at least there's a 1-2 year path out of Reason now.

middle_color

26 Aug 2019

Just came here to advice something to those disappointed:

I have been circulating around several DAWs for some time now. And each time i come to dedicated forum there are people that do want to use THIS particular DAW only, and there are users disappointed by every release, because it does not deliver.
Try another DAW, most of them have trial period. Will it meet ALL your expectations?
What i am trying to say is - "Try to like Reason for what it is, not for what it could be."

Yet this Reason release is better than i could imagine. I always wanted Reason rack inside X-DAW since i accommodated to X-DAW.
I left Reason as a main DAW exactly because of sequencer, but its rack always was super inspiring for me. I kicked out sound out of ideas many times in the rack.
Yet to say - X-DAW if far for being perfect for me. But it is the most practical DAW for ME out of DAWs i tried.
I will eventually sell all transferable licenses i don't use anymore (not everything can be sold - always read license transfer rules when buy soft).

123repeater

26 Aug 2019

I'm making albums with current reason just fine. I'm adding actual hardware preamp/compression to my input chain and getting vastly improved sound. Buying better mics. Writing better songs before I even start.

I think you could take Reason 10.4 and never upgrade it again (aside from using VST PLUGINS) and it wouldn't make a shred of difference.

Upgrading the graphics doesn't matter to me. It already has everything and you can already add anything with VST. The small upgrades to the editor would be nice but haven't stopped me yet. Anything that could be better hasn't stopped me yet.

I think I'm happy now. Can't wait for my new interface, AD/DA converters, and Unison recording tech and UAD plugins. So many ways to upgrade your music outside of Reason 11.

BillThePill

26 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Two predictions. Two years from now:

1. Reason Studios (previously known as Propellerhead Software) will have new owners.

2. Reason VST will be right up there with the big players, the "must have" VSTs for any DAW user. As a bonus, Reason VST will come with a free "standalone mode" just like Kontakt, Reaktor, Sampletank, Amplitube, Guitar Rig and lots of the new breed of "big" synths.

(and folks will still be complaining about it hehe).
It was the same story with BandCamp's Cakewalk ... Roland gave up on Sonar>Gibson ended selling Solar Platinum to a Singapore group of folks ... (BTW former Sonar users cannot download their stuff anymore). So you better offline authorize your PC/Mac in the next 2 years and backup a clone image!!

Reason was my favorite DAW ... now I must spend money getting a favorite DAW... :evil: :roll:

NekujaK

26 Aug 2019

Reaction on the VI Control forum is very positive. Quite a few posters are ex-Reasonites who welcome the ability to once again play with the Rack and REs.

A few feel the Props are basically throwing in the towel in terms of Reason as a DAW, as a result of too much competition. One poster referred to it as Reason"s "DAW experiment".
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

Zac

26 Aug 2019

davidicus wrote:
26 Aug 2019
sigh. none of this is really going to help me much. at least there's a 1-2 year path out of Reason now.
This is how I feel. Reluctantly I'm going to learn to use a new DAW NOW!, sell my full R10 license and get a R11 Intro license instead. That way, 1 to 2 years from now I won't be tied to Reason updates if R12 turns out to be not for me as well, or maybe even never happens. But if I've read the writing on the wall incorrectly, I can always come back if there's good enough reason to.

Oquasec

26 Aug 2019

Why would you sell reason full for reason intro, when the upgrade price is 130$?
Or 45$ a month?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

rcbuse
RE Developer

26 Aug 2019

I love the sequencer / DAW aspect of Reason. I think they nailed that shit, at least for my workflow. I'm always one to try out other DAWs, spend the time with the manuals and dig in deep. In the end, I always feel uninspired and either underwhelmed or overwhelmed.

I'm happy the rack can now be a VST to let people can load up Lectric Panda REs in other environments, but its nothing I would personally use. I'm not one to use VSTs very much.

Curved automation, Audio crossfades, MIDI mute... wheew.... it feels like someone personally asked me what I wanted in 11.

The Suite is temping with Complex-1 and the two Umpfs.

cognitive

26 Aug 2019

rcbuse wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I love the sequencer / DAW aspect of Reason. I think they nailed that shit, at least for my workflow. I'm always one to try out other DAWs, spend the time with the manuals and dig in deep. In the end, I always feel uninspired and either underwhelmed or overwhelmed.

I'm happy the rack can now be a VST to let people can load up Lectric Panda REs in other environments, but its nothing I would personally use. I'm not one to use VSTs very much.

Curved automation, Audio crossfades, MIDI mute... wheew.... it feels like someone personally asked me what I wanted in 11.

I'm with you on this. I like the Reason "DAW" experience quite a bit and despite having used many other DAWs, I feel more of a connection and creative flow with the Reason way of doing things. Lack of crossfade, no automation curves and no per-track scaling were on my list of pains that have now been alleviated. Bigger picture, I'm happy that Props have found a path to growing their user base in big way. As a great side effect, some of my friends who are using other DAWs can get some Reason rack joy in their lives without giving up their years of growth with their DAW weapons of choice.

Now if they can just get MIDI VSTs working in the rack ... ;)

DJMaytag

26 Aug 2019

123repeater wrote:
26 Aug 2019
I'm making albums with current reason just fine. I'm adding actual hardware preamp/compression to my input chain and getting vastly improved sound. Buying better mics. Writing better songs before I even start.

I think you could take Reason 10.4 and never upgrade it again (aside from using VST PLUGINS) and it wouldn't make a shred of difference.

Upgrading the graphics doesn't matter to me. It already has everything and you can already add anything with VST. The small upgrades to the editor would be nice but haven't stopped me yet. Anything that could be better hasn't stopped me yet.

I think I'm happy now. Can't wait for my new interface, AD/DA converters, and Unison recording tech and UAD plugins. So many ways to upgrade your music outside of Reason 11.
100% this. I'm glad that I've been building towards MIDI sequencing hardware via Reason, moving away from using so much stuff in the box like I used to. Reason is just a sequencer and an audio recorder for me now. That said, I'm stoked AF that Reason is driving all this stuff, to interface with my hardware (72 outputs combined of MIDI/CV/gate... so far... more is coming!):

Jagwah

26 Aug 2019

Just trying to get my head around the idea of reason devices and res being a plug in. Does that mean I can use them in other software but I have to use that softwares sequencer, and I can't use reasons?

I like the idea of using reason with Sony Vegas but the more I think about it the more confused I am. Could i take a track I started in reason and continue that in a other daw with reason rack as a plug in - I take it that's a no? The sequencer and mixer information wouldn't be there?

DParris

26 Aug 2019

cognitive wrote:
26 Aug 2019
rcbuse wrote:
26 Aug 2019

I'm with you on this. I like the Reason "DAW" experience quite a bit and despite having used many other DAWs, I feel more of a connection and creative flow with the Reason way of doing things. Lack of crossfade, no automation curves and no per-track scaling were on my list of pains that have now been alleviated. Bigger picture, I'm happy that Props have found a path to growing their user base in big way. As a great side effect, some of my friends who are using other DAWs can get some Reason rack joy in their lives without giving up their years of growth with their DAW weapons of choice.

Now if they can just get MIDI VSTs working in the rack ... ;)
Couldn't agree more. I also experiment quite a bit with other software, and try to maintain a working knowledge of all the big ones in case someone tosses me a project file rather than tracks or stems. I honestly hate working in almost everything other than Reason. As others have mentioned, there were small things that were a pain, but none of those problems couldn't be overcome with a little patience. 95% of my workflow in Reason has always been smooth, pleasant, inspiring, and fun, and the improvements in 11 are going to bump that up to 98%, for me at least.

I do a lot of sound design in Max/MSP. I've always thought of Reason as halfway between Max and a typical DAW in terms of workflow style. What's special about Reason has always been the rack--and later the mixer. But the developers have always made an honest effort at making the sequencer features better and more useable over time.

I'll reiterate that people made music before Reason, have continued to make music with every version of Reason, and will make music when Reason goes the way of the clay tablet. Enjoy the great features that are there. Develop habits. Mumble a small curse under your breath when something is genuinely a pain (I know I do). Then get back to working.

VariableX

26 Aug 2019

Im going to try a trial of Studio One.
All being good, ill purchase it on a monthly Rent-To-Own and upgrade to Reason 11 so I and take my stuff with me. I'll hopefully slowly transition out of Reason over the coming years. I do have some concerns over performance of Reason as a VST but ill have my eyes and ears to the ground on that.. man I am disappointed i. Propellerhead.

Goriila Texas

26 Aug 2019

When I did use Reason it was in Rewire with Studio One which worked like a charm. I could push play in Reason to start sequencing because it was in perfect sync with S1. User since 2.5 for the first time not upgrading nothing justifies $129 imo. If I ever use Reason it will be in Rewire mode because I like the power of having both DAWs running at my fingertips. Studio One is an incredible host for rewire that's makes it painless when using both.

I give Reason 11 a flat out F from what I've seen. I thought the new people would bankroll PH with more coders or personnel to get things moving in a faster pace but I was wrong. When you see what Presonus has done with S1 in less years than Reason this company just doesn't seem to get it. Record failure,Balance failure,Allihoopla failure REX loop format failure and Re, all half-ass done failures by a company that's just don't get it or have what it takes in this DAW war imo. I'm not wasting one more dollar with this company that I believe will eventually fold and go out of business. They have to look at Reason users as full blown Fools imo because they've made money but refuse to spend the necessary money to get features done swiftly. They understand they have a following of users that will pay to upgrade even with minimal feature request implemented. I use to think the people at PH were stupid and get frustrated until I realized they playing us the whole time and laughing all the way to the bank. They're using the 48 laws of power on blind users who don't recognize a con game when they see it. They know exactly what they need to do to be a top notch DAW but don't do it and give you a couple of instruments and zoom.

Props whole business strategy is a con game.

gaclab

26 Aug 2019

fretshot7 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Im going to try a trial of Studio One.
All being good, ill purchase it on a monthly Rent-To-Own and upgrade to Reason 11 so I and take my stuff with me. I'll hopefully slowly transition out of Reason over the coming years. I do have some concerns over performance of Reason as a VST but ill have my eyes and ears to the ground on that.. man I am disappointed i. Propellerhead.
Same boat. Had no idea you could do rent-to-own with Studio One. Will be checking this out. Thanks!
Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 4.5 | Mac OSX 10.13.4 w/ 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 12 GB Ram (dinosaur) | Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 | M-Audio Keystation 49es | Akai MPD218 | KRK Rokit 5s

26 Aug 2019

Jagwah wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Just trying to get my head around the idea of reason devices and res being a plug in. Does that mean I can use them in other software but I have to use that softwares sequencer, and I can't use reasons?

I like the idea of using reason with Sony Vegas but the more I think about it the more confused I am. Could i take a track I started in reason and continue that in a other daw with reason rack as a plug in - I take it that's a no? The sequencer and mixer information wouldn't be there?
Hey Jagwah,

You are right. Reason 11 takes away Rewire and the VST version does not contain the sequencer. So, if you start in Reason, you have to stay in Reason. At first I was excited because I thought I could open up Reason song files in the VST - but you can't do that.

P.S. been very busy, will get back to making music soon I hope :-)

Goriila Texas

26 Aug 2019

Wait.....there’s no more rewire????

6502 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Jagwah wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Hey Jagwah,

You are right. Reason 11 takes away Rewire and the VST version does not contain the sequencer. So, if you start in Reason, you have to stay in Reason. At first I was excited because I thought I could open up Reason song files in the VST - but you can't do that.

P.S. been very busy, will get back to making music soon I hope :-)

Goriila Texas

26 Aug 2019

I guess I can add Rewire on the failure list too

parma

26 Aug 2019

It really seems that Reason has an identity crisis. I don't know if it's turnover at the top or overall lack of vision but it's hard to see this release as anything other than them throwing in the towel for competing as a proper DAW.

And on the other hand, I don't think this will be as popular with new users as some seem to think. Once the hype wears off and potential customers demo Reason 11 to use in their DAW, they're going to find a whole bunch of outdated devices and wonder what the big deal is anyway. Aside from Grain, and maybe Europa, pretty much all of Reason's stock devices are outclassed by DAW native plugins and/or VSTs. Thor as a VST would have been cool 10 years ago but now it's just another poly synth outclassed by a dozen other plugins.

Bah humbug

joeyluck

27 Aug 2019

Exciting that the Reason Rack and REs can be much more relevant to more people. Too bad Sonic Talk won't have an episode this week (I don't think)...will have to wait until next week for them to talk about it I guess. Interested to hear their thoughts, and if Gaz who used to use and teach with Reason, will get back into it with the Rack plugin.

Last Alternative

27 Aug 2019

Goriila Texas wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Record failure, Balance failure, Allihoopla failure, REX loop format failure and Re, all half-ass done failures...
Too true. I'll add to your list:

*Propellerhead forums
*Line6
*Softube
*Crappre (April Fool's RE that cost money and ended up being total useless sh*t & PH actually allowed it) ironic huh?
*all the Mac bugs they let go for sooo long
*refusal to enhance the most basic things
*even their own CEO walked away
*half-ass tech support
*RARE tutorials anymore

No doubt there's more..

My point of view is for many moons I've been witnessing a once grateful company lose their vision and turn into money hungry thugs who come out of the woodwork acting nice as a car salesman when they have something new.

Remember all the excitement with R5 becoming a DAW? Pay what you want for R6? How so much used to be included in upgrades? How interactive PH used to be? That Joe Rogan dude with the 50 Reason Tips videos? And the recent videos with that Ryan guy? The happy days are over, it appears.

WHAT THE F HAPPEN?!?!?!?!?

This is like my 5th post today but MAN after so many years of shelling out cashola waiting for the glory days to return I'm fkn pissed.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

• Information