what are the best other DAWs to consider?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

so, now that Reason will be available for use inside of other DAWs, what other DAWs should people be considering using, if they haven't already found one?

which have the best workflows?
which are easiest to use?
which are the most inspiring?
best looking?
biggest bang for your buck?

and to all those questions, why?

I can't believe I'm posting this in the Reason General forum. :lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

Thanks. If you don't mind me asking specifically: which DAWs allow for "multiple MIDI lanes commiting to a chord track"?
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

KGB

26 Aug 2019

With the Reason 11 announcement, I'm thinking about Bitwig since it resembles Reason the most to me. In a sense, I wonder if the Reason 11 rack and Bitwig is the perfect combination. I'm intrigued to say the least.

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Thanks. If you don't mind me asking specifically: which DAWs allow for "multiple MIDI lanes commiting to a chord track"?
interesting, so the idea being you have multiple MIDI tracks, all simultaneously feeding a single instrument? I know one DAW that allows you to do that... :lol:

fieldframe
RE Developer

26 Aug 2019

These aren't necessarily my own opinions, but more my reading of popular sentiment:
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Live.
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
FL Studio.
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Bitwig.
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
best looking?
Logic (although some of the bundled products that make it best bang for buck are definitely not best looking).

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
interesting, so the idea being you have multiple MIDI tracks, all simultaneously feeding a single instrument? I know one DAW that allows you to do that... :lol:
No, something like I described here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7512518
Wanna lay down a bassline? Cool, you'll automatically stay in key. Change the harmonic structure of the song? Move the blocks where you want! Change individual bars or blocks to another key? All instruments will follow!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

No, something like I described here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7512518
Wanna lay down a bassline? Cool, you'll automatically stay in key. Change the harmonic structure of the song? Move the blocks where you want! Change individual bars or blocks to another key? All instruments will follow!
ah, gotcha, that's definitely a cool idea. I don't usually base things on any particular key, but that would be a killer piece of functionality for those who do.

Zac

26 Aug 2019

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

diminished
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2019

Yeah I'd love to use a feature like that. I want to pick my musical colors first, lay down a structure and then fill it with life. If I want to switch things around, just move those chords blocks and everything assigned to submit to these global chords will follow (= change key).

And at this point, I don't even care if it's another DAW, as long as I get this helpful feature.

boingy

26 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
so, now that Reason will be available for use inside of other DAWs, what other DAWs should people be considering using, if they haven't already found one?

best looking?

The following is solely from a Windows viewpoint.

If you like conventional DAWs I think Studio One is hard to beat. I rarely have to reach for the manual or Google or YouTube. The functions I want are almost always where I expect them to be. Cubase is similar but still has a few annoyances (like the lack of useful right-click menus). The chord track in Studio One and Cubase are a huge plus to me because my song writing usually starts with chords. Still on the conventional side everyone should take a look at Cakewalk. A fully-fledged serious DAW for free, courtesy of Bandlab. It is still being developed and gets updates every couple of months.

On the less conventional side you have Bitwig, which never really clicked with me (but I only have the 8-track version) and, of course, Ableton Live. Live has a lot of fans but I find it a bit frustrating. I have no real use for the session view - I don't play live and I don't compose like that but it's OK for previewing stuff. The real problem I have with Live is a thousand small (and unnecessary) irritations. Example: You can only have one VST folder. For various reasons I have four VST2 folders plus the standard VST3 folder. I had to place shortcuts in them to get Live to find all my VSTs. That stuff is just irritating. I've tried hard to like Live but I just don't.

Everyone is different so get yourself a few demos and spend a bit of time with them. Don't judge them by the built-in instruments and effects though. VSTs, including Reason 11, allow you to have whatever you want in any DAW.

VariableX

26 Aug 2019

good post boingy.
i am gonna check out studio one.
like you live never clicked with me.

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

boingy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

best looking?

The following is solely from a Windows viewpoint.

If you like conventional DAWs I think Studio One is hard to beat. I rarely have to reach for the manual or Google or YouTube. The functions I want are almost always where I expect them to be. Cubase is similar but still has a few annoyances (like the lack of useful right-click menus). The chord track in Studio One and Cubase are a huge plus to me because my song writing usually starts with chords. Still on the conventional side everyone should take a look at Cakewalk. A fully-fledged serious DAW for free, courtesy of Bandlab. It is still being developed and gets updates every couple of months.

On the less conventional side you have Bitwig, which never really clicked with me (but I only have the 8-track version) and, of course, Ableton Live. Live has a lot of fans but I find it a bit frustrating. I have no real use for the session view - I don't play live and I don't compose like that but it's OK for previewing stuff. The real problem I have with Live is a thousand small (and unnecessary) irritations. Example: You can only have one VST folder. For various reasons I have four VST2 folders plus the standard VST3 folder. I had to place shortcuts in them to get Live to find all my VSTs. That stuff is just irritating. I've tried hard to like Live but I just don't.

Everyone is different so get yourself a few demos and spend a bit of time with them. Don't judge them by the built-in instruments and effects though. VSTs, including Reason 11, allow you to have whatever you want in any DAW.
thanks, that's great info!

I love the look of Studio One, and briefly entertained picking it up. may need to do some more research on it. I recently downloaded Cakewalk, which seems pretty good, as far as features, but so far feels pretty uninspiring. it's amazing that they've made it free though--that's super cool.

Bitwig looks really interesting, but I think I remember being scared off by the cost. I'm in the same boat as you with Ableton...it seems like it should be something I'd like, but I just don't. it's definitely got some innovative ideas, though.

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

another question just popped into my head....do any DAWs offer crossgrade discounts these days? back when I first got Digital Performer, I was able to use a crossgrade promotion to save a chunk on the full version.

boingy

26 Aug 2019

As for the other posts here, and at risk of sounding like a Studio One Zealot, here is what you can do with the Studio One chord track:

1. Type in a few chords (or get S1 to "steal" them from an audio track).
2. Create a midi track and give it some strings or a pad instrument. Fill the track with C chord triads. Just C, nothing else. Any rhythm you like, any duration.
3. Create another track and this time fill it with a bass rhythm, also composed entirely of the note C.
4. Set both of these tracks to "follow" the chord track.
5. Play the song. The triads follow the chord track and the bass line follows the root of the chords.

It's not yet a hit single but it is a musical skeleton upon which you can build your song. It's just so darned quick to get something down. I've got demos where did the above then just recorded a bad hummed vocal over the top. An idea sketched in a few minutes. Most of them stay like that. The odd one get developed further. Oh, and you can change the chords at any time and set the vocal (audio) track to follow too and it will pitch shift the vocals to suit. You wouldn't want to keep the resulting audio but as a "play with chords sequences" thing it's superb.

This is why I'm so frustrated that Reason keeps adding chord devices to the rack instead of implementing chord stuff in the sequencer where it belongs!

I'll shut up now...

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

diminished wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Seeing multiple lanes to edit at once or midi comping?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

fieldframe wrote:
26 Aug 2019
These aren't necessarily my own opinions, but more my reading of popular sentiment:
I know I hate the look of the ES2, Space Designer (before it was revamped about a year ago, now it looks cool) and Ultrabeat.

Some of those points you mentioned though are subjective.

Best looking sequencer for me is either Logic or FL Studio but to the OP - Logic is Mac only unless you have a hackintosh. :-D

Easiest to use or learn is probably FL Studio but doesn't have everything. No crossfading of audio on the playlist (sequencer.)

I don't think FL's architecture suits guitar / band type stuff. More suits dance music or hip hop where you may use more samples.

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

best looking?

I'd have to ask what kind of music you will making because that will make a difference.

Dance music - Reason, FL Studio, Ableton, Reaper, Logic, Cubase.

Guitar / Band music - Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Reaper.

Not familiar with Bigwig, Studio One, Acid Pro or Mixcraft. There are a few others too.

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

best looking?

I'd have to ask what kind of music you will making because that will make a difference.

Dance music - Reason, FL Studio, Ableton, Reaper, Logic, Cubase.

Guitar / Band music - Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase, Reaper.

Not familiar with Bigwig, Studio One, Acid Pro or Mixcraft. There are a few others too.
ha, I do a bit of both (I'm considering electronic music broadly as falling into your dance category). I'd probably be most interested in Studio One, FL, or Bitwig, if I were to switch. tried Reaper, and don't like it at all (none of the ones in your guitar/band category really appeal to me very much--except maybe Logic, but I'm sticking with PC, so that's out).

Creativemind

26 Aug 2019

I'd consider FL Studio or maybe Studio One (heard good things about it) and Reason used as a VST.

Then use Reason for guitar stuff.

miscend

26 Aug 2019

I recommend the cheap or free DAWs first. Like Cubase LE, Bitwig 8 Track or Ableton Live 8 Track. See how it goes first.

reggie1979

26 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Reason

Reason
Reason
best looking?
I'd say Studio One
Reason
Honestly, I've either owned or seriously demoed EVERYTHING and nothing does more, with less fuss than Reason. You can use another host but the idea of actually making "better music" is not really a thing.

Clips are nice, but they are really more performance based than composition based. Yes, of course you can easily with Bitwig, Live and FL studio. But there is nothing that will help you to make better music.

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

reggie1979 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Reason

Reason
Reason
best looking?
I'd say Studio One
Reason
Honestly, I've either owned or seriously demoed EVERYTHING and nothing does more, with less fuss than Reason. You can use another host but the idea of actually making "better music" is not really a thing.

Clips are nice, but they are really more performance based than composition based. Yes, of course you can easily with Bitwig, Live and FL studio. But there is nothing that will help you to make better music.
I believe it. it’s sad that there are comparatively so few minor things that Reason needs to make it as a truly top-tier DAW, but that we’ve only gotten a handful of them.

I really want to be able to use MIDI VSTs in Reason (MIDI Guitar 2, and Jamstix). if they added that alone to the list, I wouldn’t hesitate to pull the trigger and upgrade. I’m tempted to consider trying another DAW to use those features, but want an inspiring, or at least interesting workflow in order to consider it.

Oquasec

26 Aug 2019

FL Studio Cubase Reaper.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

kuhliloach

26 Aug 2019

GarageBand, if you have a Mac, is in many ways the greatest DAW of all time. The UI is nearly perfect and factory sounds are vast. It's basically Logic under the hood. For many people there is no reason to use anything else. Beyond that there is no question Ableton Live is the premier DAW.

zoidkirb

26 Aug 2019

Find a good deal on a launchpad. That way you get a Live lite license, and a proper way to control session mode. Live/Reason rack seems to be endorsed by Matthias himself so you'd be in good company. Even if you ends up hating Live, the launchpad could still be used as a generic midi controller, or you could sell it quite easily.

• Information