Announcing Reason 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
boingy

26 Aug 2019

We have to realise that these forums represent the hardcore-est of the Reason hardcore. A consensus on here may not be reflected across the wider user base.

Reason DAW is has got a little better. I'd expect a few point updates to build on that in the next year or two. Reason rack plugin is very exciting and will bring more money into the company, which will fund more development.

Reason CAN have its cake and eat it.

reggie1979

26 Aug 2019

madmacman wrote:
26 Aug 2019
WillyOD wrote:
26 Aug 2019
@MattiasHG:

Will the workflow improvements be backported to Reason 10?

Shouldn't be too hard to do code-wise, and would be a nice little thank you to those sticking with 10...
And now let's repeat 100 times:

The - company - does - owe - you - NOTHING!
I've never understood this way of thinking. They owe you something. Now if you reworded it and said "you're not going to get everything you want" then I agree.

Frankly, I don't care for it and I'm not going to pony up 129 (or whatever the upgrade price is) for two workflow enhancements. I get that vst rack was a requested feature but I couldn't care less. I want to see the sequencer in REASON get updates rather than worrying about using a different host. But then again, according to your statement, my opinion is of no consequence in the world you live in.

EnochLight

26 Aug 2019

LittleBoy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
More life to the company, not to the DAW.
The DAW is the company. As discussed earlier, Reason is literally their only main revenue source (aside from a cut of RE percentages, which - people need Reason to buy those).

According to the FAQ, press release, and info that's been shared in this thread, what else does Reason Plugin really need? AU support (it's coming)? A handful of other things? Literally everything else is core Reason DAW stuff, and anything done to the rack and the GUI/UX will likely occur in Reason Plugin, so... no big deal, IMHO. We've not seen the last of core Reason stuff. Not by a long shot. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

26 Aug 2019

Creativemind wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Don't understand why many things are left unfinished in Reason though before they start adding more stuff. They add things and then just leave them. It's like they go, that's it, that's done, never touching the code for that again, even after many requests, let's look:-

Themes....still don't affect mixer and since incorporated, no more themes have been added and you still have to restart Reason to apply.
Spectrum EQ - Still can't open multiple at once (for comparison purposes) or see multi spectrum displays in the one EQ box + many other things that could be added.
Adjust Multiple Faders - But can't adjust multiple faders on the mix channels in the rack.
Slice Midi Notes - but can't join them back together again.
Browsers - Still can't sync and still can't add tags etc for more intuitive searching and no audio wave display.. Refresh button for the folders too.
Pitch Correction and Audio to Midi - Still both in monophonic, no polyphonic.
Europa - Can still only load one sample as a wavetable.
Audio - Since audio was added in Reason 6 you still can't bounce to mono.
Bounce in Place - Still no mono option for this either nor consolidating clips.
Re's - Still no Notes / Patterns / Loops to Track.
VST is added, then optimisation, next step should be VST 3 support, scan for VST's while Reason is still open and Multi-Out and Midi VST support.
Still no Kong or Combinator updates either that have been requested for years.

Don't get it. Why are things just left hanging?
+1 I agree with all these points. Those are all glaring omissions. Even the blocks feature is severely undercooked, it needs a few upgrades to be made useful in my opinion.

exxx wrote:
26 Aug 2019
There's no 8 point eq, and no idea how much fresh new samples you've recorded.
Do you mean 8 bands of EQ? You can use two MClass EQs for that.

Reason 10 had brand new sample content. But they don't always add new sample content to updates. Many producers these days prefer sourcing their own sample libraries.
exxx wrote:
26 Aug 2019
There aren't enough mastering or other meters, and no new compressors or reverbs.
There are excellent freeware VST meters/analyzers from Voxengo and Youlean. The MClass devices are still good quite honestly for mixing and mastering. I think they want you to purchase the Rigs bundles if you need more mixing tools.
exxx wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Are the extra instruments in the suite really useful in the modern music market?
The jury is still out on the the new instruments. Most power users have maybe too many instruments by now. But the stock devices like Thor and Europa are more than capable enough for modern chart music.

Zac

26 Aug 2019

rcbuse wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Zac wrote:
26 Aug 2019
From what I can tell if I primarily switch to using Reason in another DAW, I won't really miss much by downgrading to Intro??
You will loose quite a bit of the built-in devices.

https://help.propellerheads.com/hc/en-u ... n-10-Lite-
The only ones I'd be miffed to lose are Grain and to a much lesser extent, Malstrom.

Klang etc will be no loss for me and I have a Radical RE license.

If think my mind is pretty much made up to get R11 Intro and sell my full R10 license.

I can learn to use Ableton/Bitwig/Cubase and still use R11 as a DAW if required during that transition period (just with the limited 16 tracks and lesser Soundbank).

I'll still have the option of getting any future Reason updates and still use all my REs.

This may actually work out to be a financial blessing for me.

halfnhalf

26 Aug 2019

Luxuria wrote:
26 Aug 2019
halfnhalf wrote:
26 Aug 2019
One last thing... I feel like this is the business equivalent of seeing your ex with a new guy and being happy that she's happy.

I feel like this is PH putting the musician and the music first and I think it's commendable. I don't feel like this is them raising the white flag and surrendering.

This is a good thing.
Lol. In my opinion, everyone that is excited about this update is accepting Phead's decision to clock out of the DAW business.

Version 11 is a transition period. There probably won't be a version 12. Phead's actions are leading us to believe they are getting into the same market as Native Instruments.

The small workflow improvements were sprinkled in as an attempt to not upset us Reason exclusive users down too hard and hope we'd still support their decision by buying an upgrade. Some even said they will upgrade solely to support the company which I see as sheepish.

This feels more like cuckhold rather then seeing an ex who's happy with a new bf.
You make a valid point. I feel like PH let Reason get so far behind in the race that they have to do this to stay relevant. There are very few things that you can do in Reason that can't be done more efficiently or better in another DAW. I own Live 10, Bitwig 3, Studio One 4.5, Cubase 10, FL Studio 20.5 and Reason 10 and there's not one thing workflow related that I would prefer to do in Reason as opposed to the other DAW's I listed. But damn it if I don't wish I had a bunch of RE's available to use.

People are going to hate me for saying it and I'll probably catch hell but here it goes: PH's wheelhouse is making cool ,interesting and useful instruments, Players and devices. They make a second tier DAW that really, when you take an objective look at it, cannot compete with the DAW's that I listed. That's not to say that Reason is useless or that some people don't prefer Reason but nobody is switching from Live or Cubase to Reason.

Heigen5

26 Aug 2019

I think all the other DAWs are boring or un-logically done. But that's my opinion and everyone can disagree with me.

LittleBoy

26 Aug 2019

EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2019
LittleBoy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
More life to the company, not to the DAW.
The DAW is the company. As discussed earlier, Reason is literally their only main revenue source (aside from a cut of RE percentages, which - people need Reason to buy those).

According to the FAQ, press release, and info that's been shared in this thread, what else does Reason Plugin really need? AU support (it's coming)? A handful of other things? Literally everything else is core Reason DAW stuff, and anything done to the rack and the GUI/UX will likely occur in Reason Plugin, so... no big deal, IMHO. We've not seen the last of core Reason stuff. Not by a long shot. ;)
The DAW is the company TODAY. We talk in two years.

LittleBoy

26 Aug 2019

halfnhalf wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Luxuria wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Lol. In my opinion, everyone that is excited about this update is accepting Phead's decision to clock out of the DAW business.

Version 11 is a transition period. There probably won't be a version 12. Phead's actions are leading us to believe they are getting into the same market as Native Instruments.

The small workflow improvements were sprinkled in as an attempt to not upset us Reason exclusive users down too hard and hope we'd still support their decision by buying an upgrade. Some even said they will upgrade solely to support the company which I see as sheepish.

This feels more like cuckhold rather then seeing an ex who's happy with a new bf.
You make a valid point. I feel like PH let Reason get so far behind in the race that they have to do this to stay relevant. There are very few things that you can do in Reason that can't be done more efficiently or better in another DAW. I own Live 10, Bitwig 3, Studio One 4.5, Cubase 10, FL Studio 20.5 and Reason 10 and there's not one thing workflow related that I would prefer to do in Reason as opposed to the other DAW's I listed. But damn it if I don't wish I had a bunch of RE's available to use.

People are going to hate me for saying it and I'll probably catch hell but here it goes: PH's wheelhouse is making cool ,interesting and useful instruments, Players and devices. They make a second tier DAW that really, when you take an objective look at it, cannot compete with the DAW's that I listed. That's not to say that Reason is useless or that some people don't prefer Reason but nobody is switching from Live or Cubase to Reason.
I switched from Live and Logic to Reason (like main DAW) with VST support. Reason has amazing functions and my favorite work space.
Last edited by LittleBoy on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

m.arthur

26 Aug 2019

For me this is absolutely fantastic news. Reason as a VST is what I wanted most. Now if they could just work on the graphics....

but this is an instant purchase for me, as an Ableton user and someone who is sick of using Rewire. Bring it on.

ArcoZ

26 Aug 2019

Since ca. 6 years even before Reasontalk existed I predicted that Reason will end up as a VST plugin. Kinda prophet? No :)
I was thinking in a very reasonable way. The code of Reason is unreformable. The distance between Reason and the rest grows. VST implementation was the suicide. The next logical step was the VSTPlugin.
And this is VERY GOOD MOVE from PH!!!! I appreciate it.
All soundbanks of Reason will be transformable to the preferred DAW.
The only problem I can see is the plugin-resizing. But that's Reason 12 :)

halfnhalf

26 Aug 2019

LittleBoy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
halfnhalf wrote:
26 Aug 2019

I switched from Live and Logic to Reason (like main DAW) with VST support. Reason has amazing functions and my favorite work space.
You're a unicorn riding a bolt of lightning. One of the very few exceptions.

guitfnky

26 Aug 2019

halfnhalf wrote:
26 Aug 2019
LittleBoy wrote:
26 Aug 2019

I came to Reason from Digital Performer for the same reason. there's no function that can beat out inspiration, and that's what Reason has in spades.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

miscend

26 Aug 2019

Luxuria wrote:
26 Aug 2019

The SSL devices might not even get the CV inputs we'd expect Pheads to provide. Their new devices show that. The EQ isn't even SSL modeled, it's got the same character (sterile) as the MClass EQ. The compressor isn't great compared to other RE's and the gate is nowhere near as good as G8 dynamic gate by unfiltered audio.
Ernst (former CEO) said the channel strip was closely modelled on an actual SSL board.

I dunno but in my own subjective tests I could get the Reason bus compressor was very close to a SSL hardware clone I was using.
Last edited by miscend on 26 Aug 2019, edited 1 time in total.

LittleBoy

26 Aug 2019

halfnhalf wrote:
26 Aug 2019
LittleBoy wrote:
26 Aug 2019

Nop... I am a nun playing a VCS3.

bxbrkrz

26 Aug 2019

Noob question: does that mean R11 will be great with something like Davinci Resolve?
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

Heigen5

26 Aug 2019

bxbrkrz wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Noob question: does that mean R11 will be great with something like Davinci Resolve?
Does Resolve have a VST support then?

EnochLight

26 Aug 2019

LittleBoy wrote:
26 Aug 2019
EnochLight wrote:
26 Aug 2019

The DAW is the company TODAY. We talk in two years.
Bookmark this thread and link this post. See you August 26, 2021, and we can catch up. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

26 Aug 2019

Is it true that Rewire is going away and that one can't load an old song file into Reason VST? That could limit things a bit if one wanted to rework an existing Reason piece in another DAW or with another DAW...

EnochLight

26 Aug 2019

6502 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Is it true that Rewire is going away and that one can't load an old song file into Reason VST? That could limit things a bit if one wanted to rework an existing Reason piece in another DAW or with another DAW...
ReWire is being deprecated as of version 11, but you can still open your current version of Reason in your DAW of choice to access any ReWire projects. Reason allows installations of older versions concurrently on the same machine.

Heigen5

26 Aug 2019

6502 wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Yeah, that's true. The Reason Studio stated that we should keep Reason 10.4. installed parallely because of that very Reason. This means I'll have Reason 8 there for the Line6 amps, Reason 10 for the rewire and Reason 11 for the new stuff added to it.

samp

26 Aug 2019

Hello all, So does this mean that we can load the reason rack plugin in an fx slot of another daw and use lets say Scream 4 in another daw? Sorry in advance if this was answered .

halfnhalf

26 Aug 2019

guitfnky wrote:
26 Aug 2019
halfnhalf wrote:
26 Aug 2019

I came to Reason from Digital Performer for the same reason. there's no function that can beat out inspiration, and that's what Reason has in spades.
In all fairness this doesn't count. DP to Reason is a step up not a step down. I'm talking about the big boys. DP, Waveform, MuTools, Acid Pro, Samplitude etc. are not serious competitors to the programs I listed.

LuxB

26 Aug 2019

There's something missing about this update: a bundle with the Reason 11 update and a licence for a "real" DAW.

[/bitter mode off]

EnochLight

26 Aug 2019

samp wrote:
26 Aug 2019
Hello all, So does this mean that we can load the reason rack plugin in an fx slot of another daw and use lets say Scream 4 in another daw? Sorry in advance if this was answered .
Yes.

• Information